Hamidou Diallo Graduates | Page 30 | The Boneyard

Hamidou Diallo Graduates

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

You keep recruiting top kids whether they've given you a silent verbal, a loud verbal or even signed a LOI. The fact that A) we have our class mostly spoken for, and b) our other top target is local means Ollie can live in Diallo's pocket from now until next summer if he needs to.

So even if Diallo wakes up tomorrow and declares to the world that he's committing, and that he's UConn for life, and that he never seriously considered going elsewhere... Ollie would still be there as often as possible recruiting the hell out of him. And he'd be right to do it.

With UNLV visiting him the night before it may be waking up very late the next morning

Reaction Score
This is one of the things I wonder about. If you were going to be a one and done player most likely anyway, and were projected as a lottery pick, why would you spend a year in college?
You'd spend a yr in college cuz you would be a rockstar on campus, with all the bennies of a rockstar- wink wink. Seems like he has already been sampling campus life in Storrs and enjoying things

Reaction Score
You'd spend a yr in college cuz you would be a rockstar on campus, with all the bennies of a rockstar- wink wink. Seems like he has already been sampling campus life in Storrs and enjoying things
Give me the 5-8 mil and be a rock star in life. For someone like Diallo, if he is promised a spot in the lottery, there is truly no incentive to ever step foot on a campus.

Reaction Score
2017 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net

projected mock for next year. I admittedly know nothing about some of the european players but I don't see him being drafted before Lonzo Ball at 9 based on what I do know of some of this years top freshman. I could see him going to Orlando at 11 to fill in the Oladipo spot. Although a back court of Payton and diallo doesn't look particularly good shooting from 3.

Reaction Score
2017 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net

projected mock for next year. I admittedly know nothing about some of the european players but I don't see him being drafted before Lonzo Ball at 9 based on what I do know of some of this years top freshman. I could see him going to Orlando at 11 to fill in the Oladipo spot. Although a back court of Payton and diallo doesn't look particularly good shooting from 3.

Plus one for replying to my own comment, but they have Brimah and Purvis in the 2nd and Larrier going in the 1st! Not too shabby.

Reaction Score

Sending mixed signals. Reminds me of when Diarra committed and Diallo told the horde UConn lead in his recruitment and then ever since he's always said everyone is even. I'm sure someone told him not to say he was going to the NBA so schools will still recruit him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, Nick Richards just tweeted Hami the article about him (Diallo) possibly going pro, with a question mark. Diallo tweeted him back "college!"

As Hooper said, I'm sure it's important for him to play his cards correctly right now and say he's going to college, regardless. It would be foolish not to at least look into the possibility of the NBA draft though, when the time comes.

Reaction Score
If college was part of the plan, he'd probably already be at UConn. Homerism aside, this one is pretty obvious.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If college was part of the plan, he'd probably already be at UConn. Homerism aside, this one is pretty obvious.

I'm not sure how anyone in any camp (Hami-UConn, Hami-UK, Hami-NBA, Hami-Overseas) can say that it's obvious. Kid is playing his cards very close to his chest.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how anyone in any camp (Hami-UConn, Hami-UK, Hami-NBA, Hami-Overseas) can say that it's obvious. Kid is playing his cards very close to his chest.
Not obvious? The only reasons why a kid of his caliber would do an additional year of prep school particularly at Putnam is grades or an unwillingness to expose himself. I assume his grades are fine. So, in that case, he gone. Its NBA time for Hamidou. Its also why more schools aren't putting the full court press. Location is the only reason KO is . At this point, I'd be shocked if he goes to college. That's not just me talking.

Reaction Score
Not obvious? The only reasons why a kid of his caliber would do an additional year of prep school particularly at Putnam is grades or an unwillingness to expose himself. I assume his grades are fine. So, in that case, he gone. Its NBA time for Hamidou. Its also why more schools aren't putting the full court press. Location is the only reason KO is . At this point, I'd be shocked if he goes to college. That's not just me talking.

This is, in fact, just you talking.

Kevin Ollie is not an idiot; he would not waste his time on a lost cause. He followed hami All over the country this summer--it's not just about Putnam right now.

You had better believe that ollie knows better than ESPN talking heads. He would not waste his time. Hami has consistently said he is going to college. Even the ESPN guys aren't saying its a done deal.

ESPN and other talking heads are not a good resource. Ever. Where coaches devote their time is. That's how recruiting at every level works.

This is a rumor. Is it a possibility? yes. But you are making an unreasonable 1 sided conclusion based on almost no evidence. These rumors literally start because someone asks a 17 year old in an interview about the NBA and he gets giddy in camera. Hami has been very closed about this entire process. He will never answer his questions in absolutes he has been TRAINED by his coaches to do so.

My opinion is that I highly doubt hami would be drafted as high as we think now. His shot, handle, weight, and half court offense are simply not on an NBA level. His ranking is based on fantastic transition game, body tangibles, and athleticism. Nepsac is great, but it is not a substitute for scouting at the high major d1 level. Thon maker is 7 ft tall. He was, and I believe, will remain, the exception. Just IMHO though.

Reaction Score
You don't know what you're talking about and yes, it's just you talking.

Reaction Score
Steven Zimmerman, Rashad Vaughan, Dakari Johnson, Archie Goodwin. These are the last 4 guys slotted in Hami's recruiting ranking spot. Clearly he is a lock to be a lottery pick out of high school /s.

DCT has no perspective. Hami has a world of potential but he is not LeBron.

C

Chief00

My gut reaction from last Saturday / Hami will go to college - I think he likes the college scene.
I have seen a lot of guys over the years and you do get a sense - DHam wasn't a college guy. Rudy was etc. Drummond wanted to be but unusual circumstance happened - if it wasn't for sanctions AD stays and Calhoun would have stayed with Andre at UConn - I strongly believe.

Reaction Score
I was certain Drummond was going to do a postgrad year and then immediately jump to the NBA -- shocked the hell out of me when he came here for his one post-HS year.

Diallo is doing the opposite, with his post-HS year at Putnam and leaving the door open after that. I have a hard time seeing a guy who could have an NBA contract take an extra year of amateur ball, even if it is his State U.

Drummond is also somewhat of a cautionary tale. He had a mediocre year relative to the hype and fell from a likely Top 3 pick to 9th. For Diallo the risk is greater. A mediocre freshman year at UConn and he goes from lotto pick to maybe out of the 1st round entirely.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I expect that Hamidou has seen college as his next step for a long time (from his perspective). He has visited colleges and probably has a feel for the college life. Every time the NBA has been brought up, he has said unequivocally that he intends to go to college. I am guessing that those who think he will go to the NBA are placing their adult "lens" on the money part of the equation, but not really seeing it from his point of view.

Perhaps he will change his view of things, but I don't see anything that supports his going directly to the NBA other than the fact that he could.

Reaction Score
I was certain Drummond was going to do a postgrad year and then immediately jump to the NBA -- shocked the hell out of me when he came here for his one post-HS year.

Diallo is doing the opposite, with his post-HS year at Putnam and leaving the door open after that. I have a hard time seeing a guy who could have an NBA contract take an extra year of amateur ball, even if it is his State U.

Drummond is also somewhat of a cautionary tale. He had a mediocre year relative to the hype and fell from a likely Top 3 pick to 9th. For Diallo the risk is greater. A mediocre freshman year at UConn and he goes from lotto pick to maybe out of the 1st round entirely.
Is there any actual evidence that this kid will be a lottery pick if he waits out the year, or is this just something you're making up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom