Guess it's official | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Guess it's official

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Fishy, please tell me what part of the lunatic fringe this comes from. Or is it that 2%? How did you come up with the 2% anyway? I'd give it more like 37% personally.

Because it's total BS. Most of the teams that add "market presence" are, at best secondary in said markets, and usually by a very very wide margin. Which team is bigger in Dallas or Houston? SMU/Houston, or Texas? In Memphis, Memphis or Tennessee? In Orlando, UCF or Florida/Florida St/Miami? It's press release nonsense.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
That ain't on Marinatto though. If they FB schools wanted to split and add Temple they could off. Supposedly UConn and SU were staunchest against splitting from the BB onlies, on the FB side.

There are a lot of things that could've been, it ain't where we are today and RIGHT NOW, there isn't a better alternative for UConn as much as it pains me to type that.

Marinatto could have gone to the FB schools and proposed it on the condition that he would be the commish of the new league. That's what Swofford or Scott would have done in that situation. But he was never going to do that, because that would harm Providence. It's why I was pissed they hired another lackey in the first place.

Bad decision making by the Presidents doesn't change the fact that this guy is a complete and utter joke of a commissioner. All hat no cattle. Doesn't even have the balls to take WVU to court. He just wants the money.

Reaction Score
You people? Really?

Here's the difference: in 2005 we added solid programs. In 2012 we're adding dog****.

Yes, you're right. I'm sure of it. All of these additions are worthless teams, that can never rise to the level of such a massive star in the football sky, Connecticut.

Come off it, would you? You sound ridiculous. Every team that we've added has just as much potential to be successful, as we did when we were HANDED a seat at the table.

zls44

Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/general/st...illions-if-bcsaffiliated-league-takes-memphis

I suppose that you believe, that Marinatto would not have consulted directly with people about this, to see if things have changed in 18 months. The fact that Graf is talking about installing chairbacks at Liberty Bowl, I guess doesn't have any meaning to you.

I cannot believe you are believing a tossaway line from two years ago. It's such a desperate move. Even if they did pay, that's the whopping sum of $909,000 divided up between the other 11 FB schools. It would probably go to everyone, though, so it's $625,000 per school.

They may pay $10 million to get in, but I'd pay $100 million to keep them out.

zls44

Reaction Score
Yes, you're right. I'm sure of it. All of these additions are worthless teams, that can never rise to the level of such a massive star in the football sky, Connecticut.

Come off it, would you? You sound ridiculous. Every team that we've added has just as much potential to be successful, as we did when we were HANDED a seat at the table.

UConn was given a seat at the table because the Big East needed another member to drive value. The Big East needed UConn football. UConn did it's part to get ready. Memphis has not.

Reaction Score
Marinatto could have gone to the FB schools and proposed it on the condition that he would be the commish of the new league. That's what Swofford or Scott would have done in that situation. But he was never going to do that, because that would harm Providence. It's why I was pissed they hired another lackey in the first place.

Bad decision making by the Presidents doesn't change the fact that this guy is a complete and utter joke of a commissioner. All hat no cattle. Doesn't even have the balls to take WVU to court. He just wants the money.

What the FB presidents failed to do, can't be cast Marinatto. He had to represent the interest of all the schools and we know the BE commish's office always acts with PC's interest first. I'll give you that.

I'll also give that maybe he could have been a forward thinker and sold the BBall schools that expansion on the FB side was of utmost importance and proposed a plan to run the FB side and BB side as almost independent entities except for scheduling purposes.

The fact that the FB schools approved Marinatto, was mistake no. 1, mistake no. 2, was never following through on a split. That is 100%, on the presidents of the FB schools, and I can't blame Marinatto for not acting in what would have been most beneficial to the FB schools if it meant neglecting his responsibility to the BB schools.

Reaction Score

THis is not the case, there was a major problem with the retention of the BCS status, if the football schools split. Crouthamel wanted a split, as did other athletic directors, but they didn't pull the trigger because they didn't have enough support. Hathaway, supported that UConn remain in the Big East, as did the UConn president at the time. Randy Edsall was well aware of all of this. Somebody talked about looking in the mirror when things go wrong. UConn as an institution, most definitely needed to do it.

Syracuse has wanted out for a long time. Crouthamel walked out on the AD job because Syracuse didn't walk away from the Big East, the way that membership, wanted things to go at the time, and Tranghese would have gladly let the football membership walk. Marinatto talked him out of it.

I am not going to publish anything to support what I just wrote. Take it for what you will, on this website.

Reaction Score
UConn was given a seat at the table because the Big East needed another member to drive value. The Big East needed UConn football. UConn did it's part to get ready. Memphis has not.

UConn was offered the 1-A upgrade with Villanova in 1997, to support the basketball side of the conference.

Reaction Score
I'm doing the best I can here, folks, to fight the propoganda.

There is no doubt, that Big East leadership, now in 2012, absolutely understands the importance of 1-A football to the continued health of the conference inthe future, and that understand is now trickled down to teh member institutions that did not fully understand it, or simply didn't care during the previous 30 years of existence of the big east. It's easy to determine who I'm talking about, there are several of them. Until Syracuse and Pitt left in September, and the subsequent events of the past several months, I would have been completely in favor of leaving the Big East, and I wrote all about all over this website - all of it - with the caveat, that big east leadership continued to demonstrate a failure to understand the intercollegiate landscape.

They get it now, and contrary to public opinion, the people we have in charge are quite competent, when it comes to running an athletic entreprise.

I really don't get, why people don't think that the big east conference, with what they've been able to achieve in basketball, wouldn't be able to achieve the same thing in football, as long as they put their effort into it.

I'm done writing for a while today. My fingers really hurt and my knee is killing me from sitting so long.

have a nice day. I'm going running and loosen this old body up a bit. I hope the football players are out there working out in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Split the conference in 2006? Add Temple for all-sports? Don't suggest absurd things like Boise State or Villanova?

Syracuse
Pittsburgh
USF
Temple
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Rutgers
Louisville
Connecticut

Boom. There you go. Really, really, really easy.

You complained about the teams they added now, not what you could have done in 2006. A split is only in the minds of the fans, it was never a reality for the people in the front offices. Right now you had the opportunity to add teams to the conference, who would you have added? The only one I see on your list is Temple, thats a vast improvement over the schools that were added. Hell if we're going back in time why not add Penn St too?

zls44

Reaction Score
I only wanted to add one. I dont think the money is there for a Big East FB title game, not even on campus. I think a title game just risks sending a great team to the BCS if they lose a meaningless game (Houston, hello!).

Reaction Score
I'm not srue where I wrote it today, but will again.

The finger pointing, for what the Big EAst conference looks like going forward, shoudl go to the people and institutions that Marinatto represents, not Marinatto.

That single man is responsible for the continued existence of the big east conference, and it's current position to continue to thrive and grow.

Look at the presidents and AD's of the colleges people, and look at prior leadership, if you don't like what the league looks like right now.

This is correct. The Commissioner does not have a lifetime tenure. Ask yourself why the football schools never made a move to oust him if he was doing a horrific job.

Reaction Score
I only wanted to add one. I dont think the money is there for a Big East FB title game, not even on campus. I think a title game just risks sending a great team to the BCS if they lose a meaningless game (Houston, hello!).

I think that the next time I read somethign from you, I"m going to look over at that picture, and be reminded that your view of Rentschler field that you choose to put up for the public to see, has a hockey rink on it, and whaler's jerseys...and at that point, I"ll simply think to myself, "oh, yeah." and move on.

Reaction Score
This is correct. The Commissioner does not have a lifetime tenure. Ask yourself why the football schools never made a move to oust him if he was doing a horrific job.

It's a very good question. UConn, a majority of UConn at least (I can speak for only one opposed for sure - me) completely supported Mike Tranghese. Marinatto has been commissioner of the Big East since July 1, 2009.

If anybody wants Marinatto gone at this point, it's the basketball schools.

zls44

Reaction Score
I think that the next time I read somethign from you, I"m going to look over at that picture, and be reminded that your view of Rentschler field that you choose to put up for the public to see, has a hockey rink on it, and whaler's jerseys...and at that point, I"ll simply think to myself, "oh, yeah." and move on.

Those are UConn jerseys, you idiot. From the game at the Rent last year.

Hey, at least the hockey program didn't cost the state $150 million to play Navy.

Reaction Score
Split the conference in 2006? Add Temple for all-sports? Don't suggest absurd things like Boise State or Villanova?

Syracuse
Pittsburgh
USF
Temple
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Rutgers
Louisville
Connecticut

Boom. There you go. Really, really, really easy.

If all Syracuse and Pitt needed to be so happy with the Big East that they would have stayed forever was to split from the football schools, did you ever ask yourself why the football schools didn't split from the basketball schools? The answer (among many other good reasons) is that Syracuse did not want to leave the basketball onlines. So how, exactly, was the Big East Commissioner supposed to make them?

I know it is easier to personify problems as opposed to dealing with their underlying causes, but I would suggest you try the latter.

zls44

Reaction Score
If all Syracuse and Pitt needed to be so happy with the Big East that they would have stayed forever was to split from the football schools, did you ever ask yourself why the football schools didn't split from the basketball schools? The answer (among many other good reasons) is that Syracuse did not want to leave the basketball onlines. So how, exactly, was the Big East Commissioner supposed to make them?

I know it is easier to personify problems as opposed to dealing with their underlying causes, but I would suggest you try the latter.

The Commissioner could have outlined the business reasons why it is more beneficial to be rid of them.

Syracuse didn't want to leave the basketball onlines...until someone showed them why they did. The ACC did this. It's a sad commentary when another conference did a better job showing Syracuse what business moves were in their best interest than they one they were in did.

Reaction Score
The Commissioner could have outlined the business reasons why it is more beneficial to be rid of them.

Syracuse didn't want to leave the basketball onlines...until someone showed them why they did. The ACC did this. It's a sad commentary when another conference did a better job showing Syracuse what business moves were in their best interest than they one they were in did.

He is not your Commissioner. He is not the football schools' Commissioner. He is the Commissioner for all members.

Your theory is that President Lincoln is a schmuck for not telling the South that they would be better off leaving the North and getting what they wanted (slavery)? It wasn't Lincoln's job to do that. And it wasn't the Big East Commissioner's job to tell certain members they would be better off leaving. It is the job of members of an organization to determine that they are best served within or without the organization. (The last statement, by the way, is not an opinion -- it is a fact. But I doubt it will in any way effect your anger driver statements.)

zls44

Reaction Score
He is not your Commissioner. He is not the football schools' Commissioner. He is the Commissioner for all members.

Your theory is that President Lincoln is a schmuck for not telling the South that they would be better off leaving the North and getting what they wanted (slavery)? It wasn't Lincoln's job to do that. And it wasn't the Big East Commissioner's job to tell certain members they would be better off leaving. It is the job of members of an organization to determine that they are best served within or without the organization. (The last statement, by the way, is not an opinion -- it is a fact. But I doubt it will in any way effect your anger driver statements.)

As I have said: the presidents are responsible for a lot of this. But that does not change the fact that John Marinatto did a horrible, horrible job.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
This thread is awesome. <grabs popcorn>
some message boards have smileys for that. more importantly i think thats what marinate does when the acc calls.

Reaction Score
But adding one team was not going to help us in the here and now, a split could have been the answer 6 years ago but today adding one team would have gotten us nowhere. They needed to add the best teams that were available, now. If they actually did that is open to debate in some cases, but an arguement can be made for each being a strong move considering the options available.

Reaction Score
8 years of being in a BCS conference means we're elite. duckk Memphis, Houston, Boise State, SMU, Navy, and SDSU. We have a better FBS/D-1A tradition than any one of them. (Rolls eyes.) SDSU has had college and pro HoFers coach and play for them.

We were very, very fortunate to be led to the top-tier level of college football and people so quickly forget how fortunate we were. Straight into a BCS conference. Seriously, if you're going to cry about the present state of the Big East like a toddler who just had a toy taken away, go become a Syracuse or BCU fan. Or maybe Penn State.

Reaction Score
BL _ this is for you.

I've written a lot today, and I'm not sure where all of it is all over this website. I respect your writing and your opinion, it's your recaps of uconn football games that first drew me to this website, long before I started writing.

There is a lot of blame in the media right now on Marinatto for the state of the big east conference. ESPN leading the way, by putting up their ridiculous polls for the masses to react to, rather than reporting fact.

Marinatto has been conference commissioner for less than 3 years, and the biggest problem he has right now, all of this mess, comes from the faact that he actually believed his member constituency when they affirmed the conference rules and regulations, and demonstrated agreement for solidarity. That, I think we can agree on, I hope, and i don't need to publish facts to support it.

I'm stating here that Marinatto was directly responsible for the legwork and effort that went to salvaging the football conference in 2003, when Tranghese sat by and did nothing, and wanted a football split, and the athletic directors of the schools that are all now gone, also wanted to split, but didn't all have university president backing. UConn, in 2003, was firmly entrenched with the Big East. The first time, that there has been any kind of hint of failure of solidarity with the Big East from UConn, since 1979, happened in fall of 2011. I'm not going to publish anythign to support any of that, take it for what you will.

I personally, have wanted a split away from the big east for football schools, since we made the commitment in the late 90s, and actively wanted it since the upgrade finally went past point of no return in 2000. I've wanted a split, as long as the big east as a conference, did not demonstrate a committment to 1-A football, and that was most certainly the case until fall of 2011. This opinion, of mine, a desire to split, is somethign that goes back among football programs all the way to the beginning. THe first football season was played in 1992. In 1993 and 1994 they were seriously considering splitting, BOTH sides, basketball adn football wanted a split, but Tranghese kept it together by his agreement to provide a home for Notre Dame, and allow Notre Dame to maintain independance. To date, Tranghese, is the guy that Notre Dame most deserves to owe their football indendance. Every single other 1-A football program int he country - and there were a lot of them, has had to go the confernce route since 1995. Notre Dame doesn't get a chance to negotiate exclusivitey with the BCS, if Tranghese doesn't get them the arrangement with the Big EAst, and nobody else was given them that arrangement.

and it was the addition of Notre Dame,and a scheduling agreement that appeased both sides. I am 100% behind the Big East now, and although I lament, and regret the state of the conference is in now, regarding conference rivalry, I have no doubt that we have leadership at botht he university membership levels, and conference levels that can make it be successful, with priorities lined up right.

Historically, Marinatto has demonstrated well before that, many years before, that he fully understands the importance of football in the intercollegiate landscape, and has been fighting a battle with conference membership about ti for two decades. . That, is up for debate as I'm not willing to discuss why I write that, and what evidence there might be.

As for the finger pointing for the state of affairs, I have enjoyed the previous discussions I've read about here about the dynamics of what a conference commissioners and membership that I have read from you.

For the state of the big east in 2012, one need to look at the university presidents and AD's that compromise the Big EAst, the former big east commissioner, and the commissioner of the ACC, to understand - why the current big east commissioner has had to put together a league that looks like it does now.

and no, I'm not going to read this before I post it. I'll also run with scissors today.

Reaction Score
8 years of being in a BCS conference means we're elite. duckk Memphis, Houston, Boise State, SMU, Navy, and SDSU. We have a better FBS/D-1A tradition than any one of them. (Rolls eyes.) SDSU has had college and pro HoFers coach and play for them.

We were very, very fortunate to be led to the top-tier level of college football and people so quickly forget how fortunate we were. Straight into a BCS conference. Seriously, if you're going to cry about the present state of the Big East like a toddler who just had a toy taken away, go become a Syracuse or BCU fan. Or maybe Penn State.

I don't know how long I'm going to be able to keep writing around here kid, but keep up your enthusiasm. I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom