Guess it's official | The Boneyard

Guess it's official

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
423526_10150580207879831_87028944830_8617106_1887077986_n.jpg

Reaction Score
Next up: Boise. OMG-but I guess the new institutions love the advertizing on Times Square.
What would it take to get Boise & SDSU in for all sports? A mandate from NBC in order toget a decent television contract? Additions of USAFA & (Choosefrom BYU, Fresno, Nevada, UNLV, UTAH State)? I'm just leary of partial membership.

Reaction Score
Next up: Boise. OMG-but I guess the new institutions love the advertizing on Times Square.
What would it take to get Boise & SDSU in for all sports? A mandate from NBC in order toget a decent television contract? Additions of USAFA & (Choosefrom BYU, Fresno, Nevada, UNLV, UTAH State)? I'm just leary of partial membership.

I absolutely love that this happening, these new institutions most definitely are loving the attention in the Big Apple. Makes me feel like people are actually paying attention in places that matter, as to what has happened in the past in the Big East.

To get those west coast teams in for all sports, would essentially mandate the creation of true national intercollegiate conference with adequate divisions to allow a complete season to be played among local partners, and then inter-division championship competition to determine national conference champions.

The big east would essentially need to create two full 10-12 divisions of collegiate athletic programs. Schedule both divisions to play complete divisional schedules for a season, and then have the divisional champions in each sport compete in a playoff for national champion.

I'm telling you all, it can be done. The big east can lead the way to a true national championship playoff format for division 1-A football. What would happen, is that the other 5 major conferences would secede from the NCAA, and try to continue their bowl system, or they would fall in line for a true championship.

Given the success of the NCAA b-ball tournament,and the country's love of seeing a program like Butler being able to advance to a national championship game...

I ahve no doubt that a ture nationwide national championship playoff format, giving every 1-A program the same path to a title, would very quickly surpass anything the BCS system can come up with in popularity and viewership.

I further believe, that a college playoff system, a true college playoff system, would begin to elevate college football, both in season and post season in popularity that would give NFL football a run for it's money.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Hey, I've got a question.

Where the hell was this aggressive promotion of Big East football before? Why did they wait until now?

Some people see these ads as a good thing. I see them for what they are. A damning indictment of the incompetent reign of John Marinatto. Always a day late and a dollar short.

Always.

Reaction Score
Hey, I've got a question.

Where the hell was this aggressive promotion of Big East football before? Why did they wait until now?

Some people see these ads as a good thing. I see them for what they are. A damning indictment of the incompetent reign of John Marinatto. Always a day late and a dollar short.

Always.

Marinatto, is not a dictator, and the conference commissioner, can't be a dictator, (although his predecessor seemed to think he was - JMO).

The conference commissioner needs to work based on the wills of the conference membership,and the conference membership has it's own committees that are charged with making decisions. It's a difficult juggling act. I think that Marinatto could have easily folded up shop in football, and giving a big italian -u chin swipe to the football world 6 months ago. He didn't. I believe that Tranghese would have, I am 100% certain of several instances during Tranghese's term where he would have gladly cut football loose from the Big East, but conference membership didn't let it happen. Marinatto was a pretty big part of keeping football together, in 2003, although Tranghese took all the credit.

I think it behoove a lot of big east fans, and uconn football fans, to read about conference shifting in and the end of division 1-A independant football in the 1990s. Notre Dame, Army and BYU are the only independants left from the events of approx 15 -17 years ago now, from a time when there were literally dozens of independant 1-A football programs all over the country. (and Army went into conference USA in the mid 1990s until early 2000s, and BYU was in a confernece, utnil they were able to establish their own network through ESPN based on an entire global religious follwoing)

Notre Dame is the only one left in the country, that has not gone to conference, at some point.

Marinatto was instrumental in the football membership of this conference, going back a long way. I believe that the rest of the membership of the big east conference, that didn't give a before, now - finally understand where Marinatto is coming from, and the importance of it moving forward, if the basketball side of things is to continue to be at the level of revenue streams that we're at in basketball.

zls44

Reaction Score
There is no better example of John Marinatto giving up on football than when he extended an invite to Memphis.

Other than the time he extended an invite to Villanova.
Oh, and other than the time he extended an invite to Central Florida.
Oh, and other than the time he extended an invite to San Diego State.
Oh, and other than the time he extended an invite to the Naval Academy.

These are not the moves of someone who believes in college football. They are the moves of a stark-raving lunatic desperate to hold on to a job he has done nothing to deserve. He could have been a visionary. He could have been creative. Instead he's just an idiot.

Reaction Score
Boise already got there due regards... but heck if they come in 2012 - they can get a repeat.

Reaction Score
There is no better example of John Marinatto giving up on football than when he extended an invite to Memphis.

Other than the time he extended an invite to Villanova.
Oh, and other than the time he extended an invite to Central Florida.
Oh, and other than the time he extended an invite to San Diego State.
Oh, and other than the time he extended an invite to the Naval Academy.

These are not the moves of someone who believes in college football. They are the moves of a stark-raving lunatic desperate to hold on to a job he has done nothing to deserve. He could have been a visionary. He could have been creative. Instead he's just an idiot.
+10,000!

Reaction Score
+10,000!

You people can't see the difference between what was done in 2005 by the big east, and what has been done in 2012. It's mind numbing. The difference are so stark and different that it's shocking. I would have never believed that the Big East would ever demonstrate what they're doing now, and it's the reason I've wanted a split, since we (UConn) officially committed to making the jump to 1-A, and would have rather seen us continue as an independant or a new league in 2003. Hathaway sat there in those meetings and did nothing.

I have full confidence in the Big East to make this work, and make it work well, going forward.

zls44

Reaction Score
You people can't see the difference between what was done in 2005 by the big east, and what has been done in 2012.

You people? Really?

Here's the difference: in 2005 we added solid programs. In 2012 we're adding dogshit.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I feel like I just became a member of the Farkel Family.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call Boise and Houston dog . UCF and SMU are decent. I agree with you that trying to force feed Nova to the FB schools was amateur hour and may have been the straw that broke the camel's back in regards to PItt and SU leaving, but they'd probably had left anyway.

Reaction Score
On Memphis:

Asked what Memphis will need to do to raise its level of competitiveness in football to a BCS level, Marinatto said, “I shared with R.C. the Big East Conference’s strategic plan, all the elements associated with it. I think the university complies with it. What we simply want to do when we expand is to make sure that the schools coming in recognize the level of excellence we expect. From a practical standpoint, all of the elements of our strategic plan have been met. It’s just now a question of execution.”
The addition of Memphis, along with the five schools announced in December and Navy, will boost the Big East’s television reach to more than 31 million homes, which is nearly 28 percent of all U.S. television households. Thirteen conference members will be located among the top 30 television markets, and 17 will be in the top 50.

http://today.uconn.edu/blog/2012/02/memphis-joins-big-east-bringing-football-membership-to-12/

With the rise of UConn, USF, Cincinatti, Louisville football programs in the past 7 years, I think there's a pretty good track record of evidence that shows that the frigging plan works.

Alan Graf is already talking about what the upgraded Liberty Bowl should look like in press today.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/new...pe-for-liberty-bowl-upgrade/?CID=happeningnow

Memphis basketball? FedEx arena.

Oh but Carl, you're crazy. So was Copernicus and Galileo.

Reaction Score
I have full confidence in the Big East to make this work, and make it work well, going forward.
You person are either bat sh|t crazy or on the edge of brain dead to "... have full confidence in the Big East to make this work, and make it work well, going forward." Certifiable! Thank you for your support of the Connecticut Huskies. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I'm not srue where I wrote it today, but will again.

The finger pointing, for what the Big EAst conference looks like going forward, shoudl go to the people and institutions that Marinatto represents, not Marinatto.

That single man is responsible for the continued existence of the big east conference, and it's current position to continue to thrive and grow.

Look at the presidents and AD's of the colleges people, and look at prior leadership, if you don't like what the league looks like right now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not srue where I wrote it today, but will again.

The finger pointing, for what the Big EAst conference looks like going forward, shoudl go to the people and institutions that Marinatto represents, not Marinatto.

Ninety-eight percent of everything he writes is from the lunatic fringe, but this part is accurate - we keep blaming the Big East commish for the sins of his membership. Everything that has hurt this conference going all the way back to Penn State was inflicted upon on it by the whims of its member schools and the factions therein.

Reaction Score
On Memphis:

Asked what Memphis will need to do to raise its level of competitiveness in football to a BCS level, Marinatto said, “I shared with R.C. the Big East Conference’s strategic plan, all the elements associated with it. I think the university complies with it. What we simply want to do when we expand is to make sure that the schools coming in recognize the level of excellence we expect. From a practical standpoint, all of the elements of our strategic plan have been met. It’s just now a question of execution.”
The addition of Memphis, along with the five schools announced in December and Navy, will boost the Big East’s television reach to more than 31 million homes, which is nearly 28 percent of all U.S. television households. Thirteen conference members will be located among the top 30 television markets, and 17 will be in the top 50.

http://today.uconn.edu/blog/2012/02/memphis-joins-big-east-bringing-football-membership-to-12/

With the rise of UConn, USF, Cincinatti, Louisville football programs in the past 7 years, I think there's a pretty good track record of evidence that shows that the frigging plan works.

Alan Graf is already talking about what the upgraded Liberty Bowl should look like in press today.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/new...pe-for-liberty-bowl-upgrade/?CID=happeningnow

Memphis basketball? FedEx arena.

Oh but Carl, you're crazy. So was Copernicus and Galileo.

Fishy, please tell me what part of the lunatic fringe this comes from. Or is it that 2%? How did you come up with the 2% anyway? I'd give it more like 37% personally.

zls44

Reaction Score
so who would you have added?

Split the conference in 2006? Add Temple for all-sports? Don't suggest absurd things like Boise State or Villanova?

Syracuse
Pittsburgh
USF
Temple
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Rutgers
Louisville
Connecticut

Boom. There you go. Really, really, really easy.

Reaction Score
i support the additions of ucf, houston, smu, and boise state.
memphis is an ok addition as long as they begin to upgrade their football program; another possible decent addition would have been a team from philadelphia or byu if they were interested.
navy and san diego state are the additions i disagree with. i think we should have gone after florida atlantic and florida international. the big east always seems to look at the short term issue, and then ends up getting screwed in terms of stability. as long as the big east is the inferior conference, it will continue getting poached. adding fau and fiu will make it possible for us to become a non-inferior conference eventually. we'd be adding fau and fiu simply because they're in florida. in 5 years or so, they'll be decent programs, kind of like usf came out of nowhere to be #2 in the country very quickly, also because they're located in florida. recruits from florida will be more likely to come to the big east since they'll be guaranteed to play games in florida every year. fau and fiu are the teams with the highest ceilings that are not in bcs conferences simply because of their location. the big east has already tried adding the best teams available and it hasn't stopped the poaching. fau+fiu=the potential for a non-inferior big east, and thus a big east that might actually survive.

zls44

Reaction Score
Fishy, please tell me what part of the lunatic fringe this comes from. Or is it that 2%? How did you come up with the 2% anyway? I'd give it more like 37% personally.

You really just believe whatever the Big East and Memphis says, don't you?

Read the Commercial Appeal story. The City of Memphis has no money. They are not going to spend it on improving a football stadium.

Reaction Score
You people? Really?

Here's the difference: in 2005 we added solid programs. In 2012 we're adding dog****.

Unfrigging believeable. The big east added Depaul and Marquette. How are they're football programs? What the hell did we need Depaul and Maquette for?

Memphis is the lowliest of the low, currently in 1-A football, and personally, to me it's kind of comical to see the god damned predictable reaction by the masses. USF didn't even have a football program in 1999, when the big east, and acc both had representatives in the BCS national championship game. but I digress.....

There's no reason whatsoever to not expect Memphis to rise to competition level very fast in football.

Put it this way, if the Big East added Butler basketball, instead of Memphis basketball, to go around with this round of expanstion to help the basketball side?

I'd be camped out in front of Susie Herbst's door, and demanding that we pay the $10 mill, and go independant.

Reaction Score
Split the conference in 2006? Add Temple for all-sports? Don't suggest absurd things like Boise State or Villanova?

Syracuse
Pittsburgh
USF
Temple
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Rutgers
Louisville
Connecticut

Boom. There you go. Really, really, really easy.

That ain't on Marinatto though. If they FB schools wanted to split and add Temple they could off. Supposedly UConn and SU were staunchest against splitting from the BB onlies, on the FB side.

There are a lot of things that could've been, it ain't where we are today and RIGHT NOW, there isn't a better alternative for UConn as much as it pains me to type that.

Reaction Score
You really just believe whatever the Big East and Memphis says, don't you?

Read the Commercial Appeal story. The City of Memphis has no money. They are not going to spend it on improving a ****ty football stadium.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/st...illions-if-bcsaffiliated-league-takes-memphis

I suppose that you believe, that Marinatto would not have consulted directly with people about this, to see if things have changed in 18 months. The fact that Graf is talking about installing chairbacks at Liberty Bowl, I guess doesn't have any meaning to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom