Gold Medal Game | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Gold Medal Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can anyone tell me when 5 UCONN players were on the floor together. I watched, and taped, the entire game, but missed it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Can anyone tell me when 5 UCONN players were on the floor together. I watched, and taped, the entire game, but missed it.
It happened first about the 4 minute mark of the second quarter - just before Breanna was fouled and made her two foul shots (drawing the third foul on Ndour.) About two minutes later Whalen and Augustus came back in I think.

Bigpetunia - I agree with most of your points:
#3. Griner and to some degree Fowles never got to play the game they were specifically on the team to play - against Cambage. Because of that, and most teams playing an international style with good outside shooting centers and with constant pick and roll offense, their lack of mobility on the perimeter and slower recovery to provide help defense was exposed more. Still they occupied a lot of attention inside when on offense which opened up the outside more. (Stewart, EDD, and Charles being more mobile were often more effective defensively.)

#4. I thought Augustus had a great Olympics (her shot was a bit off early, but she was money as the games went on.) I only disagree with your point because 'more effective than' what - she most often replaced Moore or DT who as you say in 1 and 2 were fabulous. She played great defense, passed really well, and chose well when to look for her shot. She was really effective, I just have a hard time saying 'more effective'. By the way, I felt the same way about Angel, she was a really effective player of the bench as well, and she and Seimone were very good when on the court together, applying pressure and making important offensive contributions.

5. Agree that Whalen continues to be a really good member of the USA team - don't understand some of the complaints that get posted here regarding her play. She is and has always been a different player than Sue who depends more on aggressive dribble penetration to stress the defense, but she is very effective and efficient. The team looks different when she is in, but that is not a bad thing at all.

Reaction Score
It happened first about the 4 minute mark of the second quarter - just before Breanna was fouled and made her two foul shots (drawing the third foul on Ndour.) About two minutes later Whalen and Augustus came back in I think.

Bigpetunia - I agree with most of your points:
#3. Griner and to some degree Fowles never got to play the game they were specifically on the team to play - against Cambage. Because of that, and most teams playing an international style with good outside shooting centers and with constant pick and roll offense, their lack of mobility on the perimeter and slower recovery to provide help defense was exposed more. Still they occupied a lot of attention inside when on offense which opened up the outside more. (Stewart, EDD, and Charles being more mobile were often more effective defensively.)

#4. I thought Augustus had a great Olympics (her shot was a bit off early, but she was money as the games went on.) I only disagree with your point because 'more effective than' what - she most often replaced Moore or DT who as you say in 1 and 2 were fabulous. She played great defense, passed really well, and chose well when to look for her shot. She was really effective, I just have a hard time saying 'more effective'. By the way, I felt the same way about Angel, she was a really effective player of the bench as well, and she and Seimone were very good when on the court together, applying pressure and making important offensive contributions.

5. Agree that Whalen continues to be a really good member of the USA team - don't understand some of the complaints that get posted here regarding her play. She is and has always been a different player than Sue who depends more on aggressive dribble penetration to stress the defense, but she is very effective and efficient. The team looks different when she is in, but that is not a bad thing at all.
Thanks...it was actually around the 2 minute mark and only lasted for about a minute. Very cool though. I paused at a point where all 5 could be clearly seen. Almost cried. I doubt there have EVER been 5 better UCONN players on the floor at the same time!

Reaction Score
Just a few observations:

1. DT, as usual, was the best player on the court.
2. Maya was a close second
3. Generally speaking, I thought the team was less effective when Griner was in there.
4. I thought the team was much more effective when Seimone was in there.
5. Whalen continues to be better than most anticipated.
Agree on the first two and especially #3. They didn't really need Griner other than to occupy Cambage if needed. She just slows down their transition game and on offense, her moving picks get in the way of cutters.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Notes on a score card. A few observations from yesterday’s USA Women’s gold medal game.

Diana Taurasi can come off a screen or fill a lane and put in a jumper that’s smooth as a baby's cheek, and do it ever so effortlessly.

Sue Bird runs an offense like no one else. If Bird is not the best PG ever, she’s in the picture. When Bird came out of the game, the tenor of the offense changed.

• The announcing team of Marc Zumoff & Ann Meyers-Drysdale was excellent. I really enjoyed her work. Ann is a veteran basketball player and announcer and it shows. She knows the game.I'd like to hear more of Ann calling games.

Breanna Stewart did not look over-whelmed, or out of place. She looked as though she belonged. No doubt Dee, Sue and Catch handed her the baton after the game.

Maya Moore led Lindsey Whalen with a perfect fast break bounce pass to end the 1st half. A thing of beauty. It looks like they've played together before.

• It appears that there may be only 3 openings for the women’s basketball team for the 2020 games in Tokyo. I wonder who they will be.

• I join with others that believe this was THE best USA women’s basketball team ever. This team really enjoyed each other on and off the court. No doubt they’ll each remember their 2016 Olympics experience the rest of their lives, I sure will.

I wonder if this team could go through the WNBA season undefeated, and win it all?

Reaction Score
Notes on a score card. A few observations from yesterday’s USA Women’s gold medal game.

I wonder if this team could go through the WNBA season undefeated, and win it all?
Yes they could

Reaction Score
However, I'm not sure that Sims could have handled it; I think she would have left UConn after a year. Same with Diggins; I think neither she nor Sims are mentally tough enough.

Both of them are easily tough enough, IMO. It's more about personalities, and whether or not they would mesh with Geno's. We will never know for sure, but my gut says that Sims would not be able to mesh with Geno's style in college, leading to a clash not unlike that with Houston. I think Diggins would have been fine, though.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Diana Taurasi can come off a screen or fill a lane and put in a jumper that’s smooth as a baby's cheek, and do it ever so effortlessly.

Sue Bird runs an offense like no one else. If Bird is not the best PG ever, she’s in the picture. When Bird came out of the game, the tenor of the offense changed.

• The announcing team of Marc Zumoff & Ann Meyers-Drysdale was excellent. I really enjoyed her work. Ann is a veteran basketball player and announcer and it shows. She knows the game.I'd like to hear more of Ann calling games.

Breanna Stewart did not look over-whelmed, or out of place. She looked as though she belonged. No doubt Dee, Sue and Catch handed her the baton after the game.

Maya Moore led Lindsey Whalen with a perfect fast break bounce pass to end the 1st half. A thing of beauty. It looks like they've played together before.

• It appears that there may be only 3 openings for the women’s basketball team for the 2020 games in Tokyo. I wonder who they will be.

• I join with others that believe this was THE best USA women’s basketball team ever. This team really enjoyed each other on and off the court. No doubt they’ll each remember their 2016 Olympics experience the rest of their lives, I sure will.

Diana was just toying with the opposition.

Sue Bird is the ultimate leader. It's too bad she thinks Storrs is too small a town for her, because she could replace Geno. Can we add a campus in NYC? We are the 6th borough, after all.

Stewie scored almost a point per minute--shooting 73%!--and got lots of blocks. Her wingspan surprised the other teams.

Maya is becoming Magic Johnson.

I think Nneka is Catch's replacement. I really think Moriah will be our secret weapon. She certainly should be.

I thought that Zumoff was pretty good, though a few catch phrases became annoying. Ann knows a lot about basketball, but confuses her info and mangles sentences. I'd like to hear her talk about 20% less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom