Gold Medal Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone aware if replay is available? Had to leave during 1st quarter:(

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
The game reminded me of a scene from Clint's movie THE UNFORGIVEN. The Schofield Kid says to William Munny, "is that what it was like in the old days, Will? Everybody ridin' out (DT and Sue runnin' the court), shootin'(3s), smoke all over the place, Folks (fans) yellin', bullets (basketballs) whizzin'by?

I never saw Diana's olden days, but she looks pretty good right now.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Anyone aware if replay is available? Had to leave during 1st quarter:(

They seem to be running continuous replays - into the second just now - on NBC Alt Channel 2 ... 205-2 on Direct TV and there will be replay early tomorrow morning.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I have marveled many times before at Diana Taurasi, but I've never seen her so lethal as she was in this tournament. There were times were she seemed almost automatic from 3. And she'd get her shot off so quickly, it was Curry-like. And so often it was in immediate response to an opponent's bucket and served as an immediate momentum-killer. The US has other players who can shoot the 3, but no one else was anywhere close to Diana in that department in this Olympics, and I dare say that some of those winning margins wouldn't have been nearly as comfortable without the Diana threes.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Terrific win, very happy for all of them. Especially Sue Bird, so glad she was out there. An incredibly talented team, also an unselfish one.

Spain put up as good a fight as could be expected and I was impressed with their guard play, especially their ability to penetrate. That likely caused Geno some degree of consternation.

Agree that the refs were horrible, as is often the case in the Olympics in basketball, boxing, etc.

I think they just called traveling again.

Also agree it would have been nice if Ann Meyers stopped droning on long enough to recognize 5 former Huskies being on the floor at the same time, twice. Shouldn`t someone have been screaming in her earpiece to mention that?

Anyhow, those are moments that we should stop and take the time to savor - the gold medal itself, of course, but especially 5 former Huskies propelling USA to win the gold medal game by being on the floor at the same time, under the watchful expert guidance of Geno. Think about just how remarkable that is!

Hopefully, our prized recruiting prospects have duly noted that as well!

Also, instead of just highlighting Ann on the 1976 team picture, why not mention the names of some or all of the others? Anyone - was that a very young Pat Summitt in the back row, on the right hand side?

Reaction Score
Little stats from USA Today:

"Taurasi and guard Lindsay Whalen shared the team-high in scoring with 17 points, while forward Maya Moore had 14 points, six assists and five rebounds. Eleven of the 12 players scored. As a group, Team USA shot a scorching 59% from the field against a Spain team they downed 103-63 in group play."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have marveled many times before at Diana Taurasi, but I've never seen her so lethal as she was in this tournament. There were times were she seemed almost automatic from 3. And she'd get her shot off so quickly, it was Curry-like. And so often it was in immediate response to an opponent's bucket and served as an immediate momentum-killer. The US has other players who can shoot the 3, but no one else was anywhere close to Diana in that department in this Olympics, and I dare say that some of those winning margins wouldn't have been nearly as comfortable without the Diana threes.
She shot 33-57. That is Curry-like.

Reaction Score
I really love this photo

CqVRBf7WYAA7hpn.jpg:large
DT's Usain Bolt impression

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
DT looks so serious...
I will vote DT as this Olympic tournament MVP.

DT was at the core...was the core...of this team's will to win, much as Stewie was in the quest for 4. The weight of that - the heat of it - takes time to abate letting the pride and joy out.

Reaction Score
Terrific win, very happy for all of them. Especially Sue Bird, so glad she was out there. An incredibly talented team, also an unselfish one.

Spain put up as good a fight as could be expected and I was impressed with their guard play, especially their ability to penetrate. That likely caused Geno some degree of consternation.

Agree that the refs were horrible, as is often the case in the Olympics in basketball, boxing, etc.

I think they just called traveling again.

Also agree it would have been nice if Ann Meyers stopped droning on long enough to recognize 5 former Huskies being on the floor at the same time, twice. Shouldn`t someone have been screaming in her earpiece to mention that?

Anyhow, those are moments that we should stop and take the time to savor - the gold medal itself, of course, but especially 5 former Huskies propelling USA to win the gold medal game by being on the floor at the same time, under the watchful expert guidance of Geno. Think about just how remarkable that is!

Hopefully, our prized recruiting prospects have duly noted that as well!

Also, instead of just highlighting Ann on the 1976 team picture, why not mention the names of some or all of the others? Anyone - was that a very young Pat Summitt in the back row, on the right hand side?

Yes that was Pat Summitt.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Hope, post: 1777211, member: 5220"I never saw Diana's olden days, but she looks pretty good right now.[/QUOTE]
I feel so sorry for you!

Reaction Score
I felt bad for Tamika Catchings as her minutes were almost nonexistent! I guess we can put to bed the Stewie or EDD took Parker's spot on the roster. Tamika Catchings was the last choice on the roster! Geno and Tamika understood that her playing time was going to be minimal! But she took what cards she was dealt and made the best of it! And she was a class act through the medal ceremony! She was crying tears of joy the whole time! She loved the whole Olympic experience!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I felt bad for Tamika Catchings as her minutes were almost nonexistent! I guess we can put to bed the Stewie or EDD took Parker's spot on the roster. Tamika Catchings was the last choice on the roster! Geno and Tamika understood that her playing time was going to be minimal! But she took what cards she was dealt and made the best of it! And she was a class act through the medal ceremony! She was crying tears of joy the whole time! She loved the whole Olympic experience!
She was pretty important on Thursday in the semi-final. She was this teams Jones - there as an emergency jack of all trades in case she was needed, and with the grace to defer to her younger teammates with enthusiasm. I thought it was fun that she was between Stewart and EDD (two rookies) in the award line-up, and they both at different points put their arm around her as the tears were flowing.

Was sort of hoping Geno would put DT, Sue, and Tamika back into the game with a couple of minutes left, so he could then bring them off together in the last minute. He did bring them out together but with about sic minutes left, so it was recognized as a 'curtain call' moment.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just read an interesting bit of trivia - USA scored 28 points in the second quarter and the first 26 of those points were scored by Uconn grads - Whalen scored the basket at the half time buzzer off a feed from Maya for the only two non-Uconn points in the quarter!

Reaction Score
Maya took a back seat to the scoring honors and did all the more important things. In earlier games, she made some incredible out of bounds saves when everyone else gave up on the ball. She only took the shot to keep the defense honest and diverted to make her teammates look good. She was all about rebounding, dishing, defense and just incredible pure hussle. She is pure team.

Reaction Score
Not every player with Angel's talent level would stand to benefit from being coached by Geno in college. When you're that talented, you'll be good no matter who you're coached by.

But I think Angel is one of the ones who would have benefited. I think that her professional game would have been closer to her Olympics game, if Geno had been around in those formative college years. Her pro game's great, but the Olympic game is even better, IMO. (I think Griner is another one who would have benefited)
Don't forget Odyssey Sims and EDD. Four players who could have been SOOOO much better if they had gone to UConn. EDD is making up for it; she's just a couple of years behind where she could have been.

However, I'm not sure that Sims could have handled it; I think she would have left UConn after a year. Same with Diggins; I think neither she nor Sims are mentally tough enough.

Conversely, IMO Charde Houston would have done better under another coach, like Kim Mulkey.

Reaction Score
Brittney, Tina will be back, Imani Boyette, A'Ja Wison should join them, and Nneka, along with Stewie , and EDD, Angel should have one more go. Moriah, Maya, Sims, and either Diggins, or Loyd as your 4th guard. Brittney, Stewie, EDD, Maya, and either Moriah, or Sims, an explosive starting 5, with quickness and size on the wings. You have to guard EDD, Stewie, and Maya out to the 3 point line, which lets Brittney operate in the lane. With that lineup Cambage would be in a lot of foul trouble, and she doesn't get up, and down the floor fast.

I agree with all, with the exception of Boyette. Maybe she'll grow as a basketball player, or fit in REALLY well in the international game, but at this point I don't see her getting consideration. At this time all she really has is height going for her; of course, Griner made a college career out of that, and now she's growing and learning to be a good player. However, she has Taurasi as a mentor; Boyette doesn't have that advantage.

Reaction Score
Just read an interesting bit of trivia - USA scored 28 points in the second quarter and the first 26 of those points were scored by Uconn grads - Whalen scored the basket at the half time buzzer off a feed from Maya for the only two non-Uconn points in the quarter!
Interesting I guess but not unexpected when for a good part of the second quarter there were ONLY UConn players on the floor for USA.

Reaction Score
She was pretty important on Thursday in the semi-final. She was this teams Jones - there as an emergency jack of all trades in case she was needed, and with the grace to defer to her younger teammates with enthusiasm. I thought it was fun that she was between Stewart and EDD (two rookies) in the award line-up, and they both at different points put their arm around her as the tears were flowing.

Was sort of hoping Geno would put DT, Sue, and Tamika back into the game with a couple of minutes left, so he could then bring them off together in the last minute. He did bring them out together but with about sic minutes left, so it was recognized as a 'curtain call' moment.
USA started the fourth against Spain with Sue Diana and Catch on the floor. Catch put in some solid minutes and rallied the team when the going was really physical. She might have gotten her bell rung at one point because I think I saw her going thru a concussion protocol with the trainer. I glas she was able to come back out with Sue and D for the fourth quarter start

Reaction Score
Observations from the Olympics and the Gold Medal game:
If USABB wants to keep winning gold, make sure Geno is the coach.
Just in case anyone thinks there are too many UCONN players on the team, it is pretty obvious there aren't better players to replace any of the 5.
The rest of the world needs to up it's game and so do the officials.
Like Sue said "if you're an elite player and want to be the best you can be, you should go to UCONN and play for Geno".
Who said there was no notre dame influence at the games? With 40 seconds to go in the 3rd of the gold game, #10 (Xargay) for Spain misses a three from the corner so she flops. A classic domer play!

Reaction Score
Just a few observations:

1. DT, as usual, was the best player on the court.
2. Maya was a close second
3. Generally speaking, I thought the team was less effective when Griner was in there.
4. I thought the team was much more effective when Seimone was in there.
5. Whalen continues to be better than most anticipated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom