Give Kevin a Chance | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Give Kevin a Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Um, maybe to highlight the point that you excluded the the national championship from your post entirely? Kind of a relevant point, don't you think?

Pro tip: If you get butt hurt when someone comments on your post, you probably shouldn't be posting in the BY.

Over half of the board has been convinced that Calhoun should be credited with the 2014 championship. You’re fighting for a lost cause.

Reaction Score
Um, maybe to highlight the point that you excluded the the national championship from your post entirely? Kind of a relevant point, don't you think?

Pro tip: If you get butt hurt when someone comments on your post, you probably shouldn't be posting in the BY.

I don't mind if you comment on my post, disagree with my post, or whatever. But if you are going to quote it, it's only fair that you quote it as posted, not some modified version.

Reaction Score
Yes, I get all that. But this word "respect" doesn't mean what people have come to believe it means. It's earned...constantly. You don't get respect for behavior 20 years ago, if your behavior today doesn't warrant it. A WWII veteran turned criminal doesn't get a pass. So I respect him...a little less than I did, but I still do. Here is what will cause me to lose my remaining respect for him though: if he insists on coming back, knowing full well that he can't do the job he was hired to do, or as an alternative decides to damage UConn and the basketball program by insisting on his full buyout if he is fired. Those are the actions of someone who is trying to harm UConn basketball. Nothing will make me respect Kevin Ollie more at this point than for him to realize he needs to move on, and for him to make that as painless for UConn as possible.
What if Calhoun comes on as his main assistant

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't mind if you comment on my post, disagree with my post, or whatever. But if you are going to quote it, it's only fair that you quote it as posted, not some modified version.
Geesh, take it easy. I highlighted the changes to make a point. It's not like I did this:

I've decided to become a Duke fan. If you asked me Coach K is the bestest coach ever! Except maybe for Jim Boeheim, he's also a great pick!

Reaction Score
Geesh, take it easy I highlighted the changes to make a point. It's not like I did this:
CL82 you’re taking credit for winning with huskybass’ quote. Kinda like someone else we know. (Ollie)(but not really)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I have multiple UConn degrees and I competed in a UConn uniform for 4 years on teams that won conference titles and New England titles. I’ll put my “blue blood” up ahgainst anyone’s. This academic year I’ve rooted in person for 7 different UConn teams and by year’s end will probably make 8-9.
Kind of a marvel to read this

Reaction Score
What if Calhoun comes on as his main assistant

What if Calhoun comes back as coach and KO goes back to assistant? What if Calhoun can then convince young Jimmy Chitwood to stop mucking around on his barndoor hoop long enough to play the Huskies back into a spot in the top half of the AAC? I like where this is trending.

Reaction Score
Geesh, take it easy. I highlighted the changes to make a point. It's not like I did this:

I have no issues whatsoever with what Kevin Ollie was able to accomplish in his first two years as the UConn head coach. In fact, recently I said he did a great job in those two seasons and that nobody would have been able to have done a better job given the circumstances.

However, I used the last four seasons (including this one) to demonstrate the lack of success for what is now a prolonged period of time. It seems to me that KO was a lot more successful with experienced former head coaches alongside him like Blaney and Hobbs then he has been with all of his own hand-picked assistant coaches.

Reaction Score
What if Calhoun comes back as coach and KO goes back to assistant? What if Calhoun can then convince young Jimmy Chitwood to stop mucking around on his barndoor hoop long enough to play the Huskies back into a spot in the top half of the AAC? I like where this is trending.
And what if in a crucial situation Ollie can get thrown out of a game and Calhoun calls the old swinging gate for chitwood and he hits the game winner at the buzzer? Man that would be really cool. Almost like s movie or something. Keep Ollie just to see if it happens!!

Reaction Score
And what if in a crucial situation Ollie can get thrown out of a game and Calhoun calls the old swinging gate for chitwood and he hits the game winner at the buzzer? Man that would be really cool. Almost like s movie or something. Keep Ollie just to see if it happens!!
As long as the paint is not caught getting watched as it dries. I like our chances.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Has anyone read speculation here or elsewhere that if KO leaves UConn there are other college programs eager to hire him as their head coach?

The answer to this question might offer a helpful perspective to the discussion moving forward.

Reaction Score
Has anyone read speculation here or elsewhere that if KO leaves UConn there are other college programs eager to hire him as their head coach?

The answer to this question might offer a helpful perspective to the discussion moving forward.
I’m still sticking by ECU as his landing spot if he stays at this level or doesn’t take a year off to decompress. No reason. But that would be big for them. Again. No rhyme or read.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

No, but I think KO's future is in the NBA. His career would be best served as an assistant somewhere. He needs to rebuild his image a bit.

Reaction Score

No but Mike Davis is still coaching and Matt Doherty coached two other schools after he was a disaster at UNC so it wouldn't shock me if Ollie got some low major job.

Reaction Score
You don’t know many former players then. Most of them are furious about how and where the program has fallen. Notice how few attend the games....
Last Friday a friend of mine saw a former player, one who played on some very good teams for Calhoun (don't want to use his name). He said something has to be done after the season. He didn't specifically mention replacing Ollie. But he also wasn't very happy where the program is. Anyone who cares about the program can't be happy with what's going on.

Reaction Score
If he got out of his seat and showed some passion, he'd improve his image dramatically, and the players would at least have an oportunity to feed off the energy. Calhoun got a lot of miles out of his game day attitude, and it was genuine.

If Ollie has to fake it, so be it. But he's not doing himself any favors by just sitting there like he's waiting for church to get out.
I was at the game on Sunday and Ollie was very animated and out of his seat the entire first half. Didn't help stop the tsunami that happened after the team lead 23-13.

Reaction Score
upload_2018-2-27_14-55-26.png

I can't. I just can't. Coaching is a big part of the equation.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
No but Mike Davis is still coaching and Matt Doherty coached two other schools after he was a disaster at UNC so it wouldn't shock me if Ollie got some low major job.
If you want to feel bad for anyone, feel bad for Ricky and Kevin, who I don't think have ever coached anywhere else and probably won't land anywhere else.

Reaction Score
We were excited to bring in a guy with an "NBA-style offensive mind", until it became obvious that the NBA style was actually the unwatchable Allen-Iverson NBA of 2002.
Ollie played in the NBA, at least for part of his career, when it was more ugly than almost any other time. 1999-2007 were just bruising, not pretty bball, kind of the dark ages, especially offensively, of NBA bball.

2001 and 02 especially. Yuck.

If he has to take from his nba experience, if he could have taken from his last year with OKC in 2010, at least we would have something workable.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So if he leaves money on the table, what reason would it be? He will only do so with fear of firing with cause.

Lets do business. Whatever the hell you do.

Exactly. He will only negotiate if he fears there is cause.
The reality is if he had done something that qualifies as cause, he's known from before the investigation. The idea that the school could threaten him is ridiculous as there is no possible scenario where the school could know more in terms of what he did that was wrong than he knows, shy of a frame job. One positive is that we will have adults handle g this.

For the record (not that it is any of your business) I'm currently managing a $5.75 billion (Yes, with a B) development portfolio in Stamford. Been here nine years and the project is about 60% complete. I spent the prior nine year with a Westchester NY firm performing similar duties, multiple smaller (but far from small) projects that redeveloped New Rochelle and White Plains. With that position I was also in charge of all partnership reporting. Prior to that I was at a consulting firm that had 380 of the then fortune 500 as clients. Before that I was in charge of financial reporting for a Hartford based fortune 500 company. Prior to that I was at the US headquarters of a British multi-national in charge of GAAP reporting. I don't really see the need to go back more than thirty years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom