Give Kevin a Chance | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Give Kevin a Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The reality is if he had done something that qualifies as cause, he's known from before the investigation. The idea that the school could threaten him is ridiculous as there is no possible scenario where the school could know more in terms of what he did that was wrong than he knows, shy of a frame job. One positive is that we will have adults handle g this.

For the record (not that it is any of your business) I'm currently managing a $5.75 billion (Yes, with a B) development portfolio in Stamford. Been here nine years and the project is about 60% complete. I spent the prior nine year with a Westchester NY firm performing similar duties, multiple smaller (but far from small) projects that redeveloped New Rochelle and White Plains. With that position I was also in charge of all partnership reporting. Prior to that I was at a consulting firm that had 380 of the then fortune 500 as clients. Before that I was in charge of financial reporting for a Hartford based fortune 500 company. Prior to that I was at the US headquarters of a British multi-national in charge of GAAP reporting. I don't really see the need to go back more than thirty years.
Wouldn’t involve The Deco property in Stamford would it?

Reaction Score
As I've said from the beginning:

JC's recruits
KO's team

The failures started when he needed to identify and attract his own guys.
And keep them. He’s brought in a fair amount of highly ranked recruits but hasn’t done a great job of developing them or retaining them. Couldn’t get Daniels to return, his guy from his own town, Hamilton, bailed too early, and the 3 kids last year. If KO had developed and retained the better talent, we probably wouldn’t be discussing whether he can coach or not.

Reaction Score
I have been a UCONN Men’s season ticket holder for 33 years and Woman’s 24 years, I looked up at the banners last night 15 and realized how spoiled we are as UCONN fans. We are not entitled to championships or NCAA tournament selections. We should be ashamed of how we are treating Kevin, he who played for us and coached us to a NC in 2014. It wasn’t just a few years ago that we were worried sick that Kevin would leave for the NBA. In his short coaching tenure Kevin has replaced a HOF coach, cleaned up the fall out of a academic progress probation and still won a NC. He deserves a chance to turn this around with his new coaching staff. Kevin has 3 years left on his contract, give him a chance to succeed, get off his back, he deserves our support.
Are there really at least 26 people who feel KO deserves more of a chance? WOW.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure those numbers are better than our assists per game, which was in the bottom few for a long while. But we can't do better than this.

After 29 games we are currently tied for 342nd in the nation in assists out of 351 D1 teams. Curiosity got the best of me.

Reaction Score
We were excited to bring in a guy with an "NBA-style offensive mind", until it became obvious that the NBA style was actually the unwatchable Allen-Iverson NBA of 2002.

I was most excited about having a UConn guy that would build the brand - and happily stay in Storrs. And when he dissected those teams in '14...exploiting their weaknesses, changing defenses, throwing over the 1-3-1 to DeAndre. It was a work of art - well, maybe St Joe's was a bit lucky. Maybe it wasn't all him - I don't know the influences, the film study and strategy of Hobbs and Miller. But after that year - whether it was reaching the pinnacle and losing motivation or the divorce...whatever, the hunger wasn't there anymore. And I'm bummed.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
We've given him a few years. How much longer are we supposed to wait?

Reaction Score
I have been a UCONN Men’s season ticket holder for 33 years and Woman’s 24 years, I looked up at the banners last night 15 and realized how spoiled we are as UCONN fans. We are not entitled to championships or NCAA tournament selections. We should be ashamed of how we are treating Kevin, he who played for us and coached us to a NC in 2014. It wasn’t just a few years ago that we were worried sick that Kevin would leave for the NBA. In his short coaching tenure Kevin has replaced a HOF coach, cleaned up the fall out of a academic progress probation and still won a NC. He deserves a chance to turn this around with his new coaching staff. Kevin has 3 years left on his contract, give him a chance to succeed, get off his back, he deserves our support.
YESTERDAY ? If this were posted A YEAR AGO, I might agree. Today ? No, sir. Chance given, chance squandered in SPECTACULAR fassion

Reaction Score
When I’m talking alumni I’m talking basketball alumni. Not students. Former players aren’t happy with the way Kevin has been treated by the fans.
They should be more concerned with how their national basketball program has been run into the ground by said coach.

Reaction Score
If this isn't in the cards, he'll be back next year, and we'll see progress, but I doubt it'll be enough to please many here.

Based on what ? Why on earth would you predict "progress" when there is not one shred of evidence that is likely to happen and at least two very big reasons (Jalen and Larrier) to expect "regress" and not "progress".

Reaction Score
Sincere Questions for Ollie supporters:
What kind of results & tenure would Kevin Ollie have had in the NBA had he left UConn after the Nat'l Championship?
Do you think he has any NBA prospects right now?
Why?

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, this fan is very real and based on many people. It mainly draws from yourself, Tenspro, and BUconn, but also the dozens who stupidly couch legitimate criticism of Ollie in comparisons to Calhoun -- "Calhoun was a master at this! Calhoun would have never done/stood for this!" -- and complain about being removed from the glory days of JC's prime in the Big East (high tourney seedings, deep runs/championships, churning out pros). These are the expectations of many people who deny it when pressed, because they know it makes them looks foolish.

Cincy, Wichita, and SMU (at least save for this year) have been "Top 25" consistently since we've shared a conference with them. How many combined trips past the second weekend do they have past five years? Zero. How many first round draft picks? Zero. How many draft picks in total? 3. How many top 50 recruits who actually made it to campus? Two - Jermaine Lawrence (bolted Cincy after one season) and Keith Frazier. That's an average of 0 S16 or higher berths, 0 1st rounders, <1 draft picks, and <1 Top 50 recruits over a 5 year span.

Your magic "Top 25" litmus test is far from it; the only teams in this conference that fit that mold share a conspicuous inability to advance in the tournament, develop impact NBA players, and recruit at a high level. All three of those things are of vital importance to this fan base. Someone can fix Ollie's in-game coaching and player development mess to the point where we can consistently be ranked in the Top 25 and contend for the tourney yearly, and still choke when it comes to those areas. Given the numerous examples of coaches currently at the top of the conference doing just that, I fail to understand how I am the only one who even thinks that's possible.
Easily the longest strawman argument I've ever seen. Let me see if I can summarize:

Some say, Top 25 is important.

Some other teams in the AAC are Top 25, but have no tournament success.

Therefore, being top 25 is unimportant.

Conclusion: keep coach Ollie.

Reaction Score
And that's why my son has about 30 participation trophies from soccer. We need little Timmy to feel good about himself despite a 3-8 record.

1. I agree with the underlying sentiment.

2. But these little kids aren't giving themselves trophies. Everyone likes to rag on kids these days getting participation trophies - a six year old isn't demanding one, so what generation came up with and executed the idea?

Reaction Score
The reality is if he had done something that qualifies as cause, he's known from before the investigation. The idea that the school could threaten him is ridiculous as there is no possible scenario where the school could know more in terms of what he did that was wrong than he knows, shy of a frame job. One positive is that we will have adults handle g this.

For the record (not that it is any of your business) I'm currently managing a $5.75 billion (Yes, with a B) development portfolio in Stamford. Been here nine years and the project is about 60% complete. I spent the prior nine year with a Westchester NY firm performing similar duties, multiple smaller (but far from small) projects that redeveloped New Rochelle and White Plains. With that position I was also in charge of all partnership reporting. Prior to that I was at a consulting firm that had 380 of the then fortune 500 as clients. Before that I was in charge of financial reporting for a Hartford based fortune 500 company. Prior to that I was at the US headquarters of a British multi-national in charge of GAAP reporting. I don't really see the need to go back more than thirty years.
For the record, I didn't really care what you did but thank you for sharing. Since it really wasn't any of my business nor my intent, your eagerness to tell me says all I need to know. Judging from your success, I think we can all agree that you are much stronger with numbers than words. For one, I have no idea what you are talking about in terms of UConn threatening KO. A renegotiated buyout would be mutually agreed upon and probably mutually beneficial. No threats needed. And yes, I agree that KO probably has a hunch if he could be fired for cause or not.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Easily the longest strawman argument I've ever seen. Let me see if I can summarize:

Some say, Top 25 is important.

Some other teams in the AAC are Top 25, but have no tournament success.

Therefore, being top 25 is unimportant.

Conclusion: keep coach Ollie.

Did you just accuse me of constructing a strawman while somehow at the same time construing this as an argument to keep Ollie?

Wow. That’s pathetic. I can’t tell whether it’s a literacy or intelligence issue, but man you ought to feel ashamed.

Top 25 is meaningless because it can be accomplished while at the same time failing epically when it comes to making tourney runs, developing NBA talent, and recruiting at an elite level. Those three metrics are valued very highly by the fans, and save for the ‘14 championship, Ollie has failed miserably at all of them — and people have rightfully given him grief for it.

Your reading comprehension needs a lot of work.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Based on what ? Why on earth would you predict "progress" when there is not one shred of evidence that is likely to happen and at least two very big reasons (Jalen and Larrier) to expect "regress" and not "progress".

Mostly because you are predicting the opposite, and your track record sucks.

Reaction Score
no thank you

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Did you just accuse me of constructing a strawman while somehow at the same time construing this as an argument to keep Ollie?

Wow. That’s pathetic. I can’t tell whether it’s a literacy or intelligence issue, but man you ought to feel ashamed.

Top 25 is meaningless because it can be accomplished while at the same time failing epically when it comes to making tourney runs, developing NBA talent, and recruiting at an elite level. Those three metrics are valued very highly by the fans, and save for the ‘14 championship, Ollie has failed miserably at all of them — and people have rightfully given him grief for it.

Your reading comprehension needs a lot of work.
Work on the clarity of your writing and lessen the reliance on shaming behaviors, and I think you'll see an immediate uptick in what you are calling others' "reading comprehension."
If I'm off base, I'll readily acknowledge it.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Work on the clarity of your writing and lessen the reliance on shaming behaviors, and I think you'll see an immediate uptick in what you are calling others' "reading comprehension."
If I'm off base, I'll readily acknowledge it.

The post was perfectly clear. The respondent either is not capable of comprehending it (not my problem), or - judging by his use of hyperbole and strawman arguments - chose to act like an emotional, immature child.

I don’t know what would cause you to chastise others for “shaming behaviors” when that phrase sums up everything you’ve uttered to me over the course of your latest mini-obsession with me.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sincere Questions for Ollie supporters:
What kind of results & tenure would Kevin Ollie have had in the NBA had he left UConn after the Nat'l Championship?
Do you think he has any NBA prospects right now?
Why?

Not an Ollie supporter (don't like to bash him either), but he definitely has NBA prospects. He'd be a quality assistant. He's a former pro who had to grind it out, so has gravitas in that capacity. He's a good mentor and can connect with guys on personal levels. When guys are self motivated, as the vast majority of professionals are, I do think he has a lot of wisdom to impart from a basketball standpoint. The lifestyle/pressure isn't as demanding as an NBA assistant, given that you don't have to recruit or steward a program, which appears to have worn him down.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Not an Ollie supporter (don't like to bash him either), but he definitely has NBA prospects. He'd be a quality assistant. He's a former pro who had to grind it out, so has gravitas in that capacity. He's a good mentor and can connect with guys on personal levels. When guys are self motivated, as the vast majority of professionals are, I do think he has a lot of wisdom to impart from a basketball standpoint. The lifestyle/pressure isn't as demanding as a D1 coach, given that you don't have to recruit or steward a program, which appears to have worn him down.

Tom doesn’t want us discussing Ollie’s character so I’ll tread carefully, but I do wonder whether or not any of the rumors about work ethic/other stuff have burned his bridges with other members of the coaching committee.

Maybe the reason he looks so dejected on the sideline is he knows a) he blew it here, and b) he’s not getting another job anywhere for quite a while.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Tom doesn’t want us discussing Ollie’s character so I’ll tread carefully, but I do wonder whether or not any of the rumors about work ethic/other stuff have burned his bridges with other members of the coaching committee.

Maybe the reason he looks so dejected on the sideline is he knows a) he blew it here, and b) he’s not getting another job anywhere for quite a while.

Perhaps, but there's plenty of failures in college who can be successful at the professional level and vice versa. Plenty of guys with all number of problems who continue to find work. He's also a guy who's shown he can stick it out. I don't think he's going to be judged by NBA guys on every aspect of his job or personal life from his time at UCONN. He still has plenty of friends and supporters at the professional level, and that's all you need.

Reaction Score
I'm sure KO can find an assistant job in the NBA over the summer. His credentials are better than a ton of NBA assistants. It's probably the best place for him; less pressure and responsibilities.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but there's plenty of failures in college who can be successful at the professional level and vice versa. Plenty of guys with all number of problems who continue to find work. He's also a guy who's shown he can stick it out. I don't think he's going to be judged by NBA guys on every aspect of his job or personal life from his time at UCONN. He still has plenty of friends and supporters at the professional level, and that's all you need.

Fair points. I still think NBA guys might worry about what they hear with respect to how equipped he is to handle the day-to-day of being an NBA assistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom