Give Kevin a Chance | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Give Kevin a Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You sound crazy. Leave millions on the table lol.
You assume he is leaving money on the table. What if the NCAA comes back hard on violations UConn committed under his watch. He leaves with 0. Its called negotiation for a reason. Leave now, get something. Leave later, potentially get fired for cause and leave with 0. Please, for the sanctity of the boneyard, think before you post. It may be hard, but give it a try.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's what a good head coach does; makes tough decisions for the betterment of the team. I honestly think he understands the problem and is trying to deal with it as quickly as possible...

A good head coach should typically coach good. Did you watch the Tulsa game? Did you watch the Memphis game?

Reaction Score
If Ollie leaves
Jalen dosent return
Akinjo dosent come
Ty polley leaves
Josh leaves
Emit leves unless chills is hired

My guess is Cobb and Isaiah are most likely already leaving. Cobb and Ollie’s relationship is gone and isiah is far to over his head at a program of this level.
Yeah let's wait until the season is over and we go through the process before we start speculating on transfers and decommits

Reaction Score
Are you taking a paycut at your job if they don't fire you?
The vast majority of employees don't have employment contracts and are fired at will... few have multi million dollar severance packages.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Blah, blah, blah!

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Blah, blah, blah!

So you are a child?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You assume he is leaving money on the table. What if the NCAA comes back hard on violations UConn committed under his watch. He leaves with 0. Its called negotiation for a reason. Leave now, get something. Leave later, potentially get fired for cause and leave with 0. Please, for the sanctity of the boneyard, think before you post. It may be hard, but give it a try.

This is wishful thinking and a big leap considering nobody knows exactly how this investigation will play out. To act like this is anything beyond a mere possibility of uncertain likelihood is foolishness.

Any sane fan wants the buyout to be lessened by any means necessary. Wanting something doesn’t increase the chances it will happen.

Reaction Score
I have been a UCONN Men’s season ticket holder for 33 years and Woman’s 24 years, I looked up at the banners last night 15 and realized how spoiled we are as UCONN fans. We are not entitled to championships or NCAA tournament selections. We should be ashamed of how we are treating Kevin, he who played for us and coached us to a NC in 2014. It wasn’t just a few years ago that we were worried sick that Kevin would leave for the NBA. In his short coaching tenure Kevin has replaced a HOF coach, cleaned up the fall out of a academic progress probation and still won a NC. He deserves a chance to turn this around with his new coaching staff. Kevin has 3 years left on his contract, give him a chance to succeed, get off his back, he deserves our support.

I totally agree with this ... sentiment.

However, then I watch the product on the floor. There is something seriously wrong with what is going on in this Program ... and I think it is far deeper and longer in term than the 40 minutes we get to watch. Unlike many, I do not feel the same as Diaco. Ollie actually proved he can coach - the National Championship of 2014 is not a fluke. He is NOT Mike Davis. But, you have a fundamentally important part of our beloved University - and many of us do Bleed Blue - that needs fixing. I believe Kevin Ollie is confused as to what to do; and I believe he wants UConn Basketball to return to the top of the Sport. What to do? I think the answer is a new direction.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He is to blame more than even you would like to acknowledge Top Dog but mostly I agree with much of what you say. I mean no matter how many question marks were there heading into the season there so many who already gave up instead hoping they'd have their day. Well they have it, it's here and. Hope they feel real good about that because it seems they're happy.

The above is a steaming pile of merde. Almost no one feels like that. Any feelings of celebration will not be "because [we] were right'", they will come from the fact that if KO leaves, we will have some hope. I can only speak for myself when I say I was hoping that season would prove me wrong. Everyone was saying that a program turnaround led by Ollie would have been the best thing that could have happened. I take no pleasure in being right about KO, I would much rather be taking my traditional seat on selection Sunday. And throughout this season on the Yard the frustration for me didn't come from Ollie, he is what he is, it came from the misguided folks here peeing on our legs and telling us it's raining. Anyone else remember the justification given for that bad game against horrible Columbia? "They are a pretty good team, they only lost to Colgate by 7." That nonsense went on all year. It still goes on in this thread.

Reaction Score
I have multiple UConn degrees and I competed in a UConn uniform for 4 years on teams that won conference titles and New England titles. I’ll put my “blue blood” up ahgainst anyone’s. This academic year I’ve rooted in person for 7 different UConn teams and by year’s end will probably make 8-9. So I have just as much connection to this University and this athletic program as Kevin Ollie. And he is doing damage to this program and this institution. He needs to just go and let somebody competent take over.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn has made one NCAA tournament championship in the last 4 seasons and though the last 2 seasons have been awful by any objective standard. I don't see how anyone could advocate this continuing next season for dropping one of the 9 active coaches who have won a national championship.

I'm not actually advocating for Ollie to get another year, but I hate when people disregard the 2014 natty. It is part of the tapestry that is KO's tenure at UConn and a big part of it at that.

That said, KO looks lost. I don't think he sees a way out of the hole he's dug, except to keep right on digging. Ending KO's tenure at UConn is a mercy killing at this point. I appreciate all he's done for us as a player, an assistant and head coach, but it is time for him to go.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's not really up to me but...........I really haven't seen anything in the past 4 years to make me believe in KO going forward. He doesn't demonstrate that he is really up to the challenge to turn this around, so I think it's really time for all of us to move on.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's not really up to me but......I really haven't seen anything in the past 4 years to make me believe in KO going forward. He doesn't demonstrate that he is really up to the challenge to turn this around, so I think it's really time for all of us to move on.
483304387.0_standard_730.0.jpg

Reaction Score

Blah, blah, blah!

Yeah but that solution has been driven home here again and again. It’s possible but funding the buyout is the real challenge.

PS: No need for the Ollie bashing. It’s insensitive.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not one person here would walk away from ten million dollars. None. The only compromise would be to spread it out over 10 to 20 years.

I hope he is able to leave on his own terms this year, get a fresh start somewhere else, and return to the coach he was in 2014. If this isn't in the cards, he'll be back next year, and we'll see progress, but I doubt it'll be enough to please many here.

I agree with your conclusion. I would like for UConn and Kevin to find a way to part ways, where both win. Maybe Kevin gets a new NBA assistant job and partial buyout. If he is back, the team will probably be slightly better. As for real progress, I think it can only occur when Kevin realizes that he is in over his head. That his schemes don't work, the players don't buy in, he can't seem to evaluate talent (not just recruiting, but among the guys on the roster) and he doesn't prepare well for specific opponents or adjust in games. He has a lot to learn about being a head coach.

Reaction Score
If Ollie leaves
Jalen dosent return
Akinjo dosent come
Ty polley leaves
Josh leaves
Emit leves unless chills is hired

My guess is Cobb and Isaiah are most likely already leaving. Cobb and Ollie’s relationship is gone and isiah is far to over his head at a program of this level.
Yeah let's wait until the season is over and we go through the process before we start speculating on transfers and decommits

Reality Sucks and that’s pretty much Reality

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He is to blame more than even you would like to acknowledge Top Dog but mostly I agree with much of what you say. I mean no matter how many question marks were there heading into the season there so many who already gave up instead hoping they'd have their day. Well they have it, it's here and it's time to celebrate because they were right. Hope they feel real good about that because it seems they're happy.

Time to move on, will be interesting times for our program but there won't be the same fan base ever again. It will never feel the same, even on the Boneyard. It's a very sad time for a proud program yet the chests are being pounded.

I agree that it is sad. But here is what will deepen the divide...Kevin fighting to keep his job or holding UConn hostage for the full buyout. Honestly, while you can say that anyone would do that, I won't forgive him if he does. He's killing the program, and the one thing that can put a nail in the coffin is him refusing to walk away on some sort of negotiated settlement. If he does that, I think he'll be a happier man, and most here will come to remember him fondly again. It's beyond obvious that he isn't any happier than we are. I know he wants to win...I don't think he knows how. And it's killing him. He needs to move on for himself and for the program.

Reaction Score
I agree with your conclusion. I would like for UConn and Kevin to find a way to part ways, where both win. Maybe Kevin gets a new NBA assistant job and partial buyout. If he is back, the team will probably be slightly better. As for real progress, I think it can only occur when Kevin realizes that he is in over his head. That his schemes don't work, the players don't buy in, he can't seem to evaluate talent (not just recruiting, but among the guys on the roster) and he doesn't prepare well for specific opponents or adjust in games. He has a lot to learn about being a head coach.

Exactly. The UConn men’s basketball head coaching position isn’t an internship. It’s a job for top tier professionals. We don’t have time for a big learning curve.

I love Ollie as a person. But this job is above his level at this time.

I’ve been fired from a job before. It sucked at the time. But I was in way over my head working in a field I really had no business working in.

I am now going to be a doctor and I wouldn’t change a thing. I am even friends with the guy who fired me.

Everything works out eventually. You have to read the writing on the wall. Often times parting ways if needed, is the best move for both parties.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Considering the speed that NCAA investigations normally travel, waiting for the outcome will at a minimum guarantee KO another year at the helm.

If this is how you negotiate I want to know what business you are in so we can negotiate some deals between our firms.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I have just as much connection to this University and this athletic program as Kevin Ollie.

Nope, not true. Recognizing the ridiculousness of that statement doesn't make me a relative of Ollie or someone who doesn't want him fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom