Give Kevin a Chance | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Give Kevin a Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
KO had some part in it? KO is the single biggest reason why the program is where it currently is. As the States highest paid employee, its time for him to take some accountability. While I agree that no one has the right to personally insult the man, his criticism and backlash for his on court performance is well justified.

So Kevin chose to be in this conference? Kevin chose to have half is roster injured and his future star PG injured two straight seasons? He chose to have to fill last minute roster spots last summer after soft players decided to transfer out because they didn't want to work hard and do it the UConn way?

He did choose to stay at UConn and turn down much more money in NBA coaching. Says a lot about his dedication to the university. But after the way he has been treated, he probably wishes he wasn't so loyal to people who could care less about him.

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
You can certainly respect him for what he did in the past. I would never presume to attack his character, because nobody is in a position to do that.

But, he's currently paid $3MM to be a head coach and is failing. I don't think it's fair to conflate his past as a player with his current situation either in regards to notion we "owe" him anything.

If money is the issue here, I don't see why a contract can't be modified to take a pay cut with bonuses/raises based on positive performance.

Reaction Score
People need to accept this and try there best to support him. He’s still our coach, UConn alumni hate seeing him being treated the way he has been. He hates losing just as much as we do. It’s been tough but the fans don’t help. At the end of the day complaining and negativity gets us no where, if we want this program to get back on track the fans need to step up.

Actually the majority of fans are stepping up and "if we want this program to get back on track" we realize that KO is just not the right person to accomplish this. Look at our record over the past 3 years and watch how the team has played recently. It's obvious to most of us that we aren't getting any better and in fact we are in a downward trend. There is no significant development of our players, recruiting has fallen off, there is little team chemistry on the floor, rotations are a joke, our BB IQ is horrible and we just don't see this improving if KO remains as coach. He will always be a Husky and remembered as a good team player and for 2014, but unless you are happy being a .500 team hoping for an NIT bid, it's time to move on with a new coach.

Last edited:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
So Kevin chose to be in this conference? Kevin chose to have half is roster injured and his future star PG injured two straight seasons? He chose to have to fill last minute roster spots last summer after soft players decided to transfer out because they didn't want to work hard and do it the UConn way?

He did choose to stay at UConn and turn down much more money in NBA coaching. Says a lot about his dedication to the university. But after the way he has been treated, he probably wishes he wasn't so loyal to people who could care less about him.

So you are either KO's Uncle or mom. This situation is KO fault 95%.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Whomever is coach has to deal with this conference and better deal with it successfully - that’s not specific to KO. But he knew what he was getting in to. So, yes - he did in fact choose to be in this conference.

All coaches have to deal with injuries.

And KO recruited the players that you call soft.

Reaction Score

LMAO.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
If everyone asked themselves objectively -- if we had a head coach from outside the UConn family instead of KO and we give said coach KO's record, all the good and bad including the present state of the program. Would you be willing to give that coach one more year? It's hard for me to be dispassionate about KO too but if I go with my head I say ANY coach whose program is on the trajectory similar to UConn's the last four years should be fired.

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
Whomever is coach has to deal with this conference and better deal with it successfully - that’s not specific to KO. But he knew what he was getting in to. So, yes - he did in fact choose to be in this conference.

All coaches have to deal with injuries.

And KO recruited the players that you call soft.

Hindsight is 20/20. I am sure everyone here have done things in life they wish they did differently. And if KO has half a brain, I am sure he learned from his mistakes. Its not easy to fill the shoes of a HOF coach. Calhoun had the chance to develop into the coach he became at Northeastern. Kevin was just thrown into the fire.

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
Are you taking a paycut at your job if they don't fire you?

If I love what I do, I can put food on my table, and a roof over my head, yes I would take a pay cut to prove myself. 100% no questions asked.

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
Any threads from now on either supporting or against KO's job security should be banned. The same things have been said a million times and quite frankly we are sick of reading about it. A middle ground will never be reached. Everyone has their own opinions. No point in discussing this any further. Its a topic with a dead end street.

Reaction Score
Honestly reading some of these posts reminds me of a bunch of jr. high girls who just found out the math teacher they all have a crush on is marrying the English teacher they all hate. Ollie is getting paid $3 million per year make g him one of the highest paid coaches in the country. He is getting that kings ransom to coach winning basketball teams. He has basically failed at that for 4 years. He isn’t being fired for being a bad player back in the 1990s or for being a bad guy or a bad UConn alumnus. He is a really bad basketball coach. Nothing more and nothing less. If he was a Syracuse grad or a Duke grad it would make no difference. He is still a bad basketball coach and for that reason needs to go.

Reaction Score
Honestly reading some of these posts reminds me of a bunch of jr. high girls who just found out the math teacher they all have a crush on is marrying the English teacher they all hate. Ollie is getting paid $3 million per year make g him one of the highest paid coaches in the country. He is getting that kings ransom to coach winning basketball teams. He has basically failed at that for 4 years. He isn’t being fired for being a bad player back in the 1990s or for being a bad guy or a bad UConn alumnus. He is a really bad basketball coach. Nothing more and nothing less. If he was a Syracuse grad or a Duke grad it would make no difference. He is still a bad basketball coach and for that reason needs to go.
100%. And when other teams are on record saying UConn is the easiest team to scout, he isn't just bad at what he does, he is really bad.

Reaction Score
Say he returns next year...

We could go 20-10 with these new recruits or 10-20.

We get a new coach and I think the above statement might be the same or worse with transfers out.

Dare I say it... who do we think would transfer after this year if Ollie stayed? How about if he left? I don’t even want to answer that question :(

In the end it comes down to what’s best for the program and the university.

There’s going to be pros and cons for him leaving vs him staying.

One thing is for sure KO was dealt with nasty injuries 2 years in a row. He wasn’t able to player develop to combat those loses. I think Memphis is made of all juco players and they are doing better than we are. Idk if KO knows what to do and from the interviews with the players after games it seems like they don’t really know what the solution is either. I think it’s the person driving the ship :/

Money-minded Austin316 might say keep him for now.
My head says we gotta cut the man loose.
My heart says give him another year.
... now my heart and head are saying I wanna beer.
Ugh.
If Ollie leaves
Jalen dosent return
Akinjo dosent come
Ty polley leaves
Josh leaves
Emit leves unless chills is hired

My guess is Cobb and Isaiah are most likely already leaving. Cobb and Ollie’s relationship is gone and isiah is far to over his head at a program of this level.

Reaction Score
Sorry but I look at the coaching staff during games and I am thoroughly unimpressed. Chillious has a reputation as a great recruiter, but between Washington and here, his team has a combined record of 22 and 38 over the past 2 seasons. As to Killings and Moore, I can't tell what positive impact they are having over the past 2 very disappointing seasons.
UConn never even challenges for the AAC regular season title, and this season UConn is in the BOTTOM 1/3 of the AAC standings.

No the chests are not being pounded. Those who realize that a change is going to be made (and rightfully so) can now have legitimate hope that the program can return to being relevant. That's all. Very simple.

I didn't point you out did I? No need to explain.

Reaction Score

Reading this tells me you think you know everything and I'm guessing there are Jr High girls who know as much. Relax people have opinions and while you think yours are so precious they aren't.

This isn't about the guy doing a crappy job because he has it's just about stopping the BS. Let it happen, talk about replacements that's fine but to continuously go over how bad he's been every other post is ridiculous. We get it WTF

Reaction Score

Agree but there are some here who believe they are owed more than him and it's too late for respecting him. I mean there were many who were disrespectful prior to the season. When he's gone they will feel victorious others will feel sad about the events, there's the difference in this whole thing.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
KO was great and now KO is bad. The only person to blame is himself.

I don't understand why some people have undo loyalty to a coach that has absolutely tanked the program.

Is it too much to ask to take the court against a halfway decent team and not get beat by 20?

Contrary to people beating the drum of unrealistic expectations going forward, I think most UConn fans recognize the league hurts us to an extent and that the Calhoun days of being a top 5 program are over.

However, there is a whole hell of a lot of in between space from being a 1 seed and being a bottom of the pack AAC team.

Oh, and we're under investigation from the NCAA. So all the "I'm just happy our kids take 100 level classes and get C's and clean program crowd!" may want to pipe down.

Reaction Score
This isn't about the guy doing a crappy job because he has it's just about stopping the BS. Let it happen, talk about replacements that's fine but to continuously go over how bad he's been every other post is ridiculous. We get it WTF

While I understand what you are saying, it is the unrealistic, overly positive posts that have no correlation to actual results and/or real signs of improvement that trigger guys like me to respond with facts which clearly demonstrate the substandard performance over the past four seasons.

While the intent of these posts may be to suppport the head coach, they inevitably evolve into a debate between the "apologists" and "detractors" (not my terms but ones that have been used here, so I will use them) and quite honestly the "detractors" have almost all the ammunition given the body of work over the past 2 to 4 seasons.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
KO may be the best guy on Earth - but he is not a great head college hoops coach. Maybe he will be. Bill Belichick had 4 out of 5 losing seasons as head coach of the Browns before the Pats.

Our players may be great (debatable), but they are not well coach. The stats bear that out and you can see it when they play.

How he is treated by fans, and how former players feel about that treatment, is irrelevant. He knew critical fan assessment was part of the job.

The only thing staying AD Dave's hand is $. However, if I was in his shoes, I would make it happen. Men's hoops is a crown jewel for the university. It is worth the cost to correct the program. KO has got to GO!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is the same thing that happened to the FB program. Everyone waiting for a turnaround that wasn't coming under the leadership at the time.

This KO isn't 2014 KO. We are now on our second straight group of underperforming players that don't listen to him. Can't blame the APR or even CR any longer.

You can care about what's best for the program or the best for your memories of him and the staff. I don't think you can do both any longer.

That doesn't make the next move any easier. Who do you bring in and who can you get? I'm not on the Hurley train and this is a tough spot because you are basically demanding AD Dave find the next HoF level coach without the BE resources.

Reaction Score
Most will admit Ollie’s done a lousy job the past few years. Only question I have is if it’s worth ten million or not to get rid of him this year or wait and save the cash to pay for a better coach next year.

I’m inclined to wait and pay top dollar to get what we need. This thing is not turning around next year or the next....

Reaction Score
Any threads from now on either supporting or against KO's job security should be banned. The same things have been said a million times and quite frankly we are sick of reading about it. A middle ground will never be reached. Everyone has their own opinions. No point in discussing this any further. Its a topic with a dead end street.
You aren't forced to read the threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog