Geno's telephone congratulations to Mo'ne Davis dubbed a "violation"[merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Geno's telephone congratulations to Mo'ne Davis dubbed a "violation"[merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Certainly no rules broken, but I think common sense should have dictated that Geno stay away from talking to Mo'ne , just to avoid the appearance of impropriety. Too bad it has to be that way, but that's the way the world is these days.

Why should Geno change because some jealous coach sees his kind gesture to a young kid as an impropriety. He knows he did nothing wrong and that's all that relly matters.
I'll bet that because of this more people will take his side than not. If Geno only said and did things to avoid scrutany , he wouldn't be Geno.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Jealousy is a green-headed monster and knows no bounds.... :)

Reaction Score
Though I certainly understand what BOON had to say about how the world is today, I am particularly delighted to see how MYERS and BOO responded. I've never been one to knuckle under to the "prevailing winds" of the moment or the times; in fact, an explicit cornerstone of my rearing was to think for yourself and not just go with the majority flow. A big time tip of the cap to Myers and Boo for weighing in as they did on this important societal issue.

JS

Reaction Score
Orange in this case...
Well, if you've got a record, and your MO ("anonymous" complaint) matches a current case, and you arguably had motive and opportunity, and other obvious suspects have been ruled out, you shouldn't be surprised if you become a "person of interest."

That said, though I made an indirect quip a while ago, I really doubt it was TN.

Reasons:

1. Once burned, twice shy. Even creatures of low cognitive function can remember the feel of a hot stove. The last time around didn't help their program any. Nobody likes a snitch, particularly a snitch with an agenda who snitches incompetently and ends up somewhere between reduced in stature and ridiculed.

2. Even if so inclined, the TN staff would never, ever, take another flyer without making damned sure they've got the goods -- which in this case means taking more than a glance at one paragraph of the rules.

3. Ms. Warlick wants to play UConn. For now she's hung up on Geno's demand for war reparations. Why on earth would she double down on the problem, let alone do it negligently? The name of the complaining school will leak of course. And if that school wanted to remain anonymous before, its desire for anonymity will be multiplied when its complaint turns out to be not only petty but an embarrassing blunder.

4. Last but in no way least I really think Ms. Warlick knows that the way ahead for her lies in making her own team better, not in trying to tear down Geno.

Reaction Score
She already has her mind made up...it's Uconn.....So why would Geno need to cheat?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Why should Geno change because some jealous coach sees his kind gesture to a young kid as an impropriety. He knows he did nothing wrong and that's all that relly matters.
I'll bet that because of this more people will take his side than not. If Geno only said and did things to avoid scrutany , he wouldn't be Geno.
If you noted in the original postings, it appears Geno wanted to stay away from talking to her. If one assumes he is the nice guy reported "off stage" then I'm sure his reason was to avoid what happened, because - like Icebear - that was my original thought "what dodo school is going to gripe".

As to conference mates - Seton Hall authored "hug gate" against Rutgers when Essence Carson's Mom ran on the Seton Hall floor and hugged Vivian (who was trying to avoid her) at a RU/SHU game during a "non-contact" recruiting period. And yes, it was deemed a violation, although I don't think any major penalty ensued.

Reaction Score
She already has her mind made up...it's Uconn.....So why would Geno need to cheat?
Chances are she will never even end up at UConn or playing Division 1 basketball for that matter.

Reaction Score
Well, if you've got a record, and your MO ("anonymous" complaint) matches a current case, and you arguably had motive and opportunity, and other obvious suspects have been ruled out, you shouldn't be surprised if you become a "person of interest."

That said, though I made an indirect quip a while ago, I really doubt it was TN.

Reasons:

1. Once burned, twice shy. Even creatures of low cognitive function can remember the feel of a hot stove. The last time around didn't help their program any. Nobody likes a snitch, particularly a snitch with an agenda who snitches incompetently and ends up somewhere between reduced in stature and ridiculed.

2. Even if so inclined, the TN staff would never, ever, take another flyer without making damned sure they've got the goods -- which in this case means taking more than a glance at one paragraph of the rules.

3. Ms. Warlick wants to play UConn. For now she's hung up on Geno's demand for war reparations. Why on earth would she double down on the problem, let alone do it negligently? The name of the complaining school will leak of course. And if that school wanted to remain anonymous before, its desire for anonymity will be multiplied when its complaint turns out to be not only petty but an embarrassing blunder.

4. Last but in no way least I really think Ms. Warlick knows that the way ahead for her lies in making her own team better, not in trying to tear down Geno.

Im SO glad I went back and actually read the comments before I posted because you pretty much hit the nail on the head on everything I was going to address as in why its doubtful Tenn and Warlick did this. And the joke about Pat maybe making the complaint was tasteless.

No telling what school made the complaint....as much as we know right now it could be the University of Pennsylvania (random) lol but you you get my point. Hopefully we'll end up finding out who made these allegations. IMO it was very petty!!!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Reasons:

Definitely don't think it was Warlick. I wouldn't put it past that AD though. Certifiably insane.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Chances are she will never even end up at UConn or playing Division 1 basketball for that matter.

And then again, the SI article quotes her school coaches as saying she is a better basketball player than a baseball player, and she is head and shoulders above the boys her age she plays against. So, time will tell, but I wouldn't count out a young girl as motivated as she is. Best of luck to her and I hope we see her in the future!

Reaction Score
can we lodge the complaint ourselves anonymously? :) we seem to be the only team that would benefit from this story. Seriously what school was dumb enough to think this would make UCONN look anything but kind. The school that filed the protest is the one risking looking bad if the truth gets out. What will they actually stand to gain from this stupidity?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
John A is saying complaint was not lodged by an ACC or AAC team. Getting closer to a SEC team lodging the complaint. :)

Reaction Score
can we lodge the complaint ourselves anonymously? :) we seem to be the only team that would benefit from this story. Seriously what school was dumb enough to think this would make UCONN look anything but kind. The school that filed the protest is the one risking looking bad if the truth gets out. What will they actually stand to gain from this stupidity?

I think you may have it upon something about lodging the complaint ourselves. Is it a coincidence that DD shows up in the same time frame as the complaint was issued ? ;););)
Finally, after a somnolent summer, the boneyard is starting to heat up.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
And that's the way the world will be tomorrow and the next day and the next... and the ... if folks acquiesce to 'the way the world is these days.' We are not merely passengers in life, we can choose to steer the boat in any of the many better directions.

Boo

It's funny Boo, reading the Times and the Guardian and especially the amazingly polarized responses to various policy proposals is quite dismaying for one searching for a path.

And just re-reading the opening chapter's of Bruce Catton's monumental opening to his Civil War trilogy seems to indicate that the type of behavior is hardly new.

Has the rest of the world learned from us?

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
In her condo in Seattle packing for National Team practice....;)

On further consideration, she may have been on campus tutoring Stewie to prepare them BOTH for National team practice....on to Annapolis!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Where was Sue Bird when all this was happening? :rolleyes:
Not sure but I understand she and Dee are driving a very important guests to the ESPYs next year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Five bucks says it was Holly Warlick.....;):p

Yup I went there..... :D
It's not like we all weren't thinking it.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
question:

Even if you thought the Phone call was fishy, wouldn't you check the rules or check with someone who knew the rules first?

Doesn't every school have a compliance person? Isn't that where this complaint would have come from?
Wait Fishy was the one who called? That's got to be a violation somewhere.

Reaction Score
This is fine for u conn , always good for positive publicity and keeping your name in the headlines not that we need it. This is a good story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom