Geno's telephone congratulations to Mo'ne Davis dubbed a "violation"[merged thread] | The Boneyard

Geno's telephone congratulations to Mo'ne Davis dubbed a "violation"[merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Can't say I'm surprised, but seriously.

Jim Fuller @NHRJimFuller · 42s
#UConn's Geno Auriemma called to offer congrats to Mo'ne Davis for LL success and unnamed school reported school for recruit violation

Rich Elliott @elliottctpost · 27s
A school tried to blow the whistle on #UConn after Geno called Mone Davis, saying that it was a recruiting violation. It was not.

John Altavilla @jaltavilla · 44s
Auriemma said the phone call made during LLWS was made at suggestion of the @Sixers as a good will gesture #UConnwomen

John Altavilla @jaltavilla · 3s
So Auriemma makes the call and #monedavis is standing right there. They give her the phone. He talks to her

Reaction Score
"#UConn's Geno Auriemma called to offer congrats to Mo'ne Davis for LL success and unnamed school reported school for recruit violation"

Then Rich Elliott:

"#UConn's Geno Auriemma called to offer congrats to Mo'ne Davis for LL success and unnamed school reported school for recruit violation"

Has this been posted and I am late to the game?

NUZZI

Reaction Score
lol

John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 6m
Believe it or not: Geno Auriemma said Wednesday that a school filed a complaint with the @American_WBB when he called #MoneDavis
Storrs, CT

Rich Elliott ‏@elliottctpost 4m
A school tried to blow the whistle on #UConn after Geno called Mone Davis, saying that it was a recruiting violation. It was not.

carl adamec ‏@CarlAdamec 5m
A NCAA school reported UConn to AAC claiming violation after Geno Auriemma's phone call to Mo'ne Davis.

Jim Fuller ‏@NHRJimFuller 5m
#UConn's Geno Auriemma called to offer congrats to Mo'ne Davis for LL success and unnamed school reported school for recruit violation

John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 5m
The complaint claimed the phone call to the Little League star constituted a "Recruiting violation" Quite the world we live in #UConnwomen

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Five bucks says it was Holly Warlick.....;):p

Yup I went there..... :D

Ha Ha. Made me laugh on a long tiring day mostly because I thought the same thing as soon as I learned of it. Thanks.

Though I do not know how someone thought they were blowing the whistle on him/the program. It was national news both in the papers and on ESPN. Do they think they were breaking news?

Reaction Score
Ha Ha. Made me laugh on a long tiring day mostly because I thought the same thing as soon as I learned of it. Thanks.

Though I do not know how someone thought they were blowing the whistle on him/the program. It was national news both in the papers and on ESPN. Do they think they were breaking news?

You're welcome!!! :D

Reaction Score
What a joke! I mean how absurd? I can see if Davis was a bona fide recruit but she is not and most likely will never be. Coach Auriemma does the right thing and reaches out to congratulate a young lady on a tremendous achievement in an entire other sport and now has to deal with this crap. The NCAA should make whoever reported the claim public as a way to stop these ridiculous claims from happening in the future.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2014/09/no-good-deed-goes-unpunished-uconn-style.html

"One of the funniest things I have ever heard. I will probably get in trouble for saying this but somebody from the Sixcers called and contacted some friends I know and said this kid is great, this kid loves basketball and I think congratulations from Coach Auriemma would really go a long way to helping this kid," Auriemma said. "I go and get contacted by some people with Little League World Series and say is it OK if she calls you. I said 'how about I just call and you tell her I said congratulations.' I call the office and (they said) 'you know Coach, she is standing right here.' I said 'put her on the phone, I want to say congratulations.' I say congratulations. She is 13 and the conversation lasts about two minutes and she hangs up. How about a school turned us in as a recruiting violation because we are not allowed to talk to her until July 1 of her junior year (of high school) but that is the world that we live in."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball-blog/hc-hcmonellgeno-20140903,0,2347821.story

Auriemma said the complaining school is under no obligation to publically idenfity itself after making the complaint. He said he has never seen her play nor knows anyone who has seen Davis play basketball.

"Under normal circumstances, I would probably not know anything about her until she was in 9th grade," Auriemma said. "I have no idea if the kid is very good, kind of good, not good at all or a superstar or can even reach the basket ... How is that a violation?

"So what does this mean? If a kid wins a swimming contest somewhere and is wearing a sweatshirt and I call to congratulate her in 7th grade, is someone now going to say you are not allowed to do that? Well, why not? Isn't that unbelieveable.

"There are guys playing college basketball driving around in cars worth more than my house and we're worried about a phone call to a little girl?"

Davis is not considered a PSA - Prospective Student Athlete - until they are in high school. Davis is in eighth grade.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Besides absurd, I was going to note the comment above - that before a certain age, you are not considered a prospective student athlete. If you were, your coaches couldn't hold summer camps, as they would be recruiting violations as well.

JS

Reaction Score
From NCAA By-Laws:

13.02.11 Prospective Student-Athlete. A prospective student-athlete is a student who has started classes for the ninth grade. In addition, a student who has not started classes for the ninth grade becomes a prospective student-athlete if the institution provides such an individual (or the individual’s relatives or friends) any financial assistance or other benefits that the institution does not provide to prospective students generally.
From JS By-Laws:

13.02.12 Dingbat Reports. An institution filing a complaint against another institution, wherein the first institution acts out of ignorance of the rules, shall be fined one scholarship per occurrence, deducted from the permissible number of scholarships for the next unsigned class. Where the first institution acts out of gross stupidity or with malicious intent, or any combination thereof, the fine shall be increased to two scholarships and second offense violations shall result in the death penalty. [adopted 9/3/14, retroactive to July 1, 2006]​

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I think it was Peyton Manning that complained. MoNe has such a strong arm Peyton probably thought she might be a future QB at his Alma Mater UT.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
hmmmm....are they available in any shade of orange?

Reaction Score
$5,000,000 on the TN Womens Athletic Dept.
"It shows you what is wrong not only for things that go on but also with some of the people that I coach against."

Must not be TN...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman