Geno to Coach National Team in Rio - 2016 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Geno to Coach National Team in Rio - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Speaking of runnerup spots ... Somewhere on the Louisville Scout web site is the phrase "defending NCAA WBB runnerup team."

I swear.

I guess that means that Jeff Walz will take on all comers who try to take runnerup status away from his team.
You take what you can get. :cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hey - what gives ... do I lose points for the Clueless and Animal House references?!
For Clueless?? Yea, any reference there would be points off.

Missed the Animal House reference.... but then we actually did have someone on double secret probation where I work. Kinda loses it's luster when it's real.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And how long did it take Stanford's WBB program to recover from that missing year?

How soon we forget.
Yes, but she actually took a leave of absence to coach the team in a very different age for the women's game. Based on NCAA rules I suspect she could not have any official contact with recruits.
With the availability of national team players being so limited Geno really doesn't have a lot of time commitment to make. They might try to have a three day trial during the WNBA finals but it seems pretty late to get that scheduled so the first actual serious time commitment would be a few days next spring before WNBA starts again. Then two weeks in the summer cutting into his Jersey Shore time and then another year break before the next trials gathering pre-Olympics - that year probably includes two gatherings - 3 days in the fall of 15 and 3 days in the spring followed by another lost jersey shore summer. The real down side would be if they lost the WC in 2014 and had to qualify for the Olympics but ...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
And how long did it take Stanford's WBB program to recover from that missing year?

How soon we forget.
Very true, however, she actually took time off. Geno did not. I realize the demands are considerable, but I believe it's a total win-win for UCONN in every way imaginable. Geno is far and away the most influential person in Women's basketball at this time, and having all that great publicity for UCONN is a great byproduct...

Reaction Score
Pretty good pool of players there though I would put Angel in your second list not because of skill or age, but because of last years WNBA oddities. And I think the pool will likely include a few more younger guards - Bria is certainly a possibility, not sure who else to include. I believe Vandersloot also got a run in the USA pool last time? Do we think Cappy is no longer under consideration? By the way - I assume TBS = The Breanna Stewart?
I don't think Cappie will be selected even though she is an All Star in the WNBA. She is not in favor with the folks in charge of USA BB nor Geno, so despite her ability, they will leave her off the team. I think it is kind of interesting that both of the starting guards for the Eastern conference All Stars won't be on the US Olympic team. Prince will most likely play for Russia. I don't know why there never seemed to be any interest between Piph and USA BB.

I think Geno is the best choice for coach, but I do hope the team ends up with a roster that includes more players than last time from colleges other than UConn because I think it draws more rooting interest from non UConn fans. I expect DT, Maya and Tina will definitely be selected again and most likely Sue Bird (depends on her health). Augustus, Fowles, Parker and Angel will most likely be back, but I'm not sure about Catchings (her choice) and I don't think Cash or Jones will be. I think Whalen will be considered, but there are better guards available. EDD, Nneka and Griner will make the team and Stewart, KML, Sims, Skyler Diggins, Kristi Toliver, Rebekkah Brunson, Chiney, Glory Johnson, Candace Dupree and Courtney Vandersloot all should be considered.

I would like to see Dawn Staley selected as an assistant. She has done a lot for USA basketball.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is great for Geno and great for the WBB program. I think Geno enjoys the challenge, he did a fantastic job last time. His being actively recruited for a return just confirms that Geno is not just the best coach in college WBB, he is the best coach of women's hoop in the world. When folks say they are worried about recruiting they are just kidding, right?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
If any player has Olympic aspirations Uconn is the place for them.

Ms. Wilson, you paying attention?....lol.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Very true, however, she actually took time off. Geno did not. I realize the demands are considerable, but I believe it's a total win-win for UCONN in every way imaginable. Geno is far and away the most influential person in Women's basketball at this time, and having all that great publicity for UCONN is a great byproduct...

Agreed. The fact that the committee was so dogged in its pursuit of him speaks volumes about their respect for what he brings to the coaching role.

Biggest bonus for me in this is it shows me that Geno has recharged his batteries and I believe the "distraction" of this second assignment will offer him a change of scene and focus that will help keep it all ( UConn coaching, recruiting, etc) alive for him.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm sure that Geno learned something from the first time. If he feels he needs a different approach to make sure he is devoting the time he missed last year in recruiting.

He's a pretty smart guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc