Geno to Coach National Team in Rio - 2016 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno to Coach National Team in Rio - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I'm amazed how we often find things to itchbay about in the face of good news.

I am unbelievably proud that the coach of my favorite team in any sport has been chosen again to coach the Olympic squad for my country. I am prouder still that after he decided not to coach again and made that very clear to USA Basketball and the press, he has chosen to take on the challenge once again when asked. That tells me that perhaps USA Basketball surveyed the landscape and wasn't satisfied with who was available or willing to sacrifice the time and take on the responsibility. So they called on Geno to take on the helm again because he was the absolutely best available prospect from sea to shining sea. That makes me proud. Then, after he said he would not do it again, and despite the great personal sacrifice of his precious little available time, he changed his mind to help out our national team. That makes me proud. Thanks, Geno.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Ok, so who will be joining him?

Tina, Fowles, Angel, Maya, Parker, DT seem likely
with Augustus, Bird, Catchings, Whalen possible

Griner and EDD seem shoo-ins.

with players like Nneka, Sims, KML, TBS also contending
Pretty good pool of players there though I would put Angel in your second list not because of skill or age, but because of last years WNBA oddities. And I think the pool will likely include a few more younger guards - Bria is certainly a possibility, not sure who else to include. I believe Vandersloot also got a run in the USA pool last time? Do we think Cappy is no longer under consideration? By the way - I assume TBS = The Breanna Stewart?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Just my opinion, but I really think its an unfair advantage for a college program to have their coach be the head coach of the USA National Team for multiple Olympics :rolleyes:

:p

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I understand you were joking but there are some who think the coach selects the team. In fact, the team is selected by a USA basketball committee. That committee is not unaware of the identify of the coach, which may play a part in close calls, but it is a myth that the head coach picks the players.
Who are you kidding with this stuff - Geno has it in his super secret double hidden invisible ink clause in the contract that he has absolute authority to choose only the players he wants with no regard for what either USA basketball wants or their relative talent merit. Now I haven't actually seen the executed version of the contract, but I have my sources and they are really 'inside' sources if you know what I mean (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) and they got me a hand written copy of the draft document which I wish I could share with you, but ... I have to protect my sources. And my best friend's second cousins wife's former boyfriend's half brother knows someone who works with ESPN (Uconn's personal broadcasting network as everyone knows) who was there when the whole thing went down. So TRUST me, this is the real story and you can take it to the bank.
And Phil - you really disappoint me that you could have fallen for all that PC crap that the 'USA Basketball Selection Committee makes all roster decisions' - As if!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I haven't seen one piece of evidence where his coaching the national team impacted recruiting.

But of course there was my theory that it impacted his coaching, (especially in his understanding the capabilities of the frosh) national championship aside.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Very true. Geno and his staff had a ton of time to recruit after Diana graduated and there were some lean years. Fortunately he and his staff have figured out how to make use of less time.

My late cousin, the late, illustrious composer, Morton Feldman, once told me that when he was asked to be the head of the 8th street Studio School, he had far less time to compose…and yet composed even more music, simply because he had to be more efficient and judicious of his time.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
This is a joking post so chill everyone, but ...
The biggest advantage I see is that Geno can finally shut out TN from the national team - Catchings - too old, Parker ... sort of duplicates what he can get from the younger talent out there in EDD and Griner and Stewart, so ... sorry.
Then he can pack the team with former Uconn players - six was not enough:
Tina, Maya, DT, Sue obviously, but now KML, Stewart, Kelly and Bria can join them - 2/3rds of the national team sounds about right.:cool:

Actually I believe Maria and some of her brethren on a certain board are having this exact nightmare right about now. So that is definitely a plus to the current news.

Might be in jest, but not funny

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm sure those that believe that it impacted Geno's ability to recruit can tell me what players he missed out on that he actually wanted to come to Uconn.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Just my opinion, but I really think its an unfair advantage for a college program to have their coach be the head coach of the USA National Team for multiple Olympics :rolleyes:

Are you speaking for Tennessee or Duke or Australia or Russia?

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score

Cheer up, Triad. Maybe in 12 more years our favorite Maineonian (Coach P) may be selected for the position ..... after 11 consecutive NCAA runnerup spots. :oops:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
But of course there was my theory that it impacted his coaching, (especially in his understanding the capabilities of the frosh) national championship aside.
Yeah, it's as bogus now as it was then.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Cheer up, Triad. Maybe in 12 more years our favorite Maineonian (Coach P) may be selected for the position ..... after 11 consecutive NCAA runnerup spots. :oops:

I read this too quickly.... I was like... I didnt know Coach P was Macedonian :p

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm sure those that believe that it impacted Geno's ability to recruit can tell me what players he missed out on that he actually wanted to come to Uconn.
Every player he wanted but didn't get. Don't be silly, of course, no one can give such a list. It amounts to proving a negative.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

"national championship aside." hahahaha...you need a nap.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Be honest, triad. Duke fans are cheering today's news believing it means more recruits and national championships for you guys, right?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, I think so too.

Hopefully, the possible positives for the UConn program will outweigh the possible negatives.
And that Ed is the point but some folks just believe it must be all one thing or the other. In philosophical dialectic there is an argument rejecting that premise and identifying the truth in such things as "both/and."

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Sure, Phil, but in Knoxville they are sure you are wrong.

I think it was Will Rodgers who said something like "It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble: it's what you know that ain't so!"

You could fill a large book with all the stuff that the folks in Knoxville know that ain't so.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
"national championship aside." hahahaha...you need a nap.

Nah, having just driven up from Cape Cod, I'm ready for the Yankees to trounce Boston.

Not a "nice guy" anymore?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Nah, having just driven up from Cape Cod, I'm ready for the Yankees to trounce Boston.

Not a "nice guy" anymore?
Ozzie is as nice as they come.

He actually WAS being nice.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
I read this too quickly.... I was like... I didnt know Coach P was Macedonian :p

Maineonians are sane Maineiacs; Macedonians are crazy Greeks. Coach P is ........................................................:confused:

U

UCONNfan1

I understand you were joking but there are some who think the coach selects the team. In fact, the team is selected by a USA basketball committee. That committee is not unaware of the identify of the coach, which may play a part in close calls, but it is a myth that the head coach picks the players.
Doesn't stop the knUTs from waxing eloquent on how rigged the system is in favor of Geno and UCONN. Add to that the fact that he has people in the NCAA in his back pocket. Of course, some are openly hoping he will get convicted of his harassment charges and perhaps that would force them to let him go. Of course, they are bringing up the Auriemma ass-patting incident with Mulkey as proof of his philandering and inappropriate ways.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As I mentioned, the press conference will be at 1pm tomorrow at Gampel and will be streamed live at usabasketball.com.

Also present will be:

Jerry Colangelo, Chairman of USA Basketball
Carol Callan, Director of USA Basketball Women's National Team
Renee Brown, WNBA Executive

t-gal

T for Trouble
Reaction Score
Yay!

Our Man in London will be learning Portuguese!

I was hoping you'd say that. I am going to wait and see how Rio handles the world cup and all the logistical challenges then make my decision to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom