Geno to Coach National Team in Rio - 2016 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno to Coach National Team in Rio - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
DD, I think that Geno and staff's involvement in the previous cycle did have impacts on the recruiting cycle. The entire staff was involved in support of team USA. It is only anecdotal evidence but the result was a class of one with Saniya and the present situation where we have not been able to tie down a big to date. I would love to know the number of hours on the road recruiting before, during and after the involvement with USA basketball. this is not to say there are not benefits that may help offset and liabilities.

What's the anecdotal evidence? How do you explain the Faris class?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Guys...seriously? With all Geno has accomplished at UConn, we act like he OWES it to us to spend every waking moment recruiting. Obviously he feels that coaching the USA team is a huge honor (so much so that he accepted again) and maybe he feels that it aids in recruiting. Who knows. It's not an exact science, of course, but now an entirely new generation of young basketball players will get to see Geno in action four years from now. Plus, it might be his last chance to coach D and Sue and Maya, which I'm sure would mean a lot to him.

I'm a little shocked, but now that I've had time to think about it I think it makes sense. He didn't make a decision in haste, he took some time after the Olympics to see how he felt, and obviously thought this was the best decision.

And honestly, the thought of see Kim or Muffett on the sidelines didn't excite me in the least.

Reaction Score
For the naysayers: Let me ask this. How much time do you think Geno and staff spend ENTICING (schmoozing) a player (player, family, coach etc) vs. how much time do you think they spend IDENTIFYING the players they are interested in.
I would argue that any player that required more than fairly minimal direct interaction is NOT a player that UCONN is going to be chasing. The coaching staff does not spend time chasing. Geno's attitude is "those who want to be here, will, those who don't, won't"

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What's the anecdotal evidence? How do you explain the Faris class?

When Faris class happened Geno swore no more one member classes. Presumably his intention saying that was to do as much as possible to avoid that. My concern is less the size of the class than the only player we did get was in our back yard, not a kid from Indiana.

As I said I'd like to know the number of hours, visits, and contacts involved in recruiting before, during and after. That is an attempt to quantify the impact. Was there sufficient time to build the relationships Geno likes to establish with recruits, especially those key recruits their are really targeting? This process of building a relationship with a recruit as part of evaluating their "fittedness" With the team he has spoken of as compromised by the newer contact limiting rules. Does the time demands for the Olympics line up sufficiently with the NCAA calendar control over periods designating the limits and rules for recruiting so that the evaluation and relationship building isn't further compromised.

I am in no way discouraging Geno from doing this. It is his decision and his right if it is acceptable to his employer which clearly it must be. I think it is naive to think there is no impact.

That is not to say it cannot be overcome. If it was about Geno only I would have less concern but it involved significant efforts from the staff, too.

Tara Van Deveer took of time from her program because she considered the demands of doing the two simultaneously are so significant.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Geno tweeted "I still say the second bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream isn't as good as the first...but it is pretty darn good"

(for the record, I'm speculating what he should tweet)

Reaction Score
I would argue that any player that required more than fairly minimal direct interaction is NOT a player that UCONN is going to be chasing. The coaching staff does not spend time chasing.

Everyone has to play the game to some extent. I can recall recruiting articles about a UConn assistant making calls at 12:01 am, on the phone the minute that they were allowed to start contacting recruits. I'm sure UConn doesn't do as much wooing as some others, but to suggest that it does none seems very naive and doubtful to me.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think this is great news for USA Basketball, Uconn, the team, the coaching staff, and Geno. Most of the time devoted to USA basketball by Geno and his coaches is 'down time' when they would be taking extended time off from work. Heck - the last 15 months USA basketball hasn't had a coach and no one noticed. There is not a whole lot of scouting/recruiting involved in the USA job and none of the players are available except for very limited-window 'camps', pre-event training camp (10 days) and the event it self. So the fixed time that Geno has committed to over the next 2.5 years is probably about 8 weeks so maybe an average of 3 weeks a year where he is not available on campus for unofficial recruiting visits - or in person visits to recruits or to watch their games. The rest of the staff is not required at all so can always not show up or leave early from those events. And as for his team - the events are not in season so the amount and quality of the time he can spend with the team is limited anyway. So that is the down side.
On the up side:
Being national team coach is pretty prestigious and has to be a positive for most recruits. GOOD publicity and face time never hurts a program. If you were an assistant at Uconn, would you leave in the next 2.5 years and blow the chance to go to your second Olympics expenses paid and with a ringside seat - so you have extended the loyalty of your staff and added to the great perks they enjoy. We talked about international recruiting in another thread and if there is anyone out there that has great talent and wants a US education this also will not hurt. USA basketball provides all the organizational support and probably requires a few promotional appearances from him, but the scheduling of those is more flexible and I am sure he can refuse a specific date if he has a conflict. And with USA basketball putting on a full court press to get him to re-up, I suspect that if he wanted to make a stipulation of say - all training camps not prior to the actual event will be held in the state of CT - that USA basketball would have agreed. And that specific request certainly would make Uconn's local fans happy!
Sorry - but there is no evidence at all that Geno's past involvement with USA basketball at any level has impacted recruiting. We had huge trouble getting a back-up post for Tina when she was here and only succeeded the year she left in getting Dolson. Geno does not usually recruit 'bodies' but rather a very select universe of HS players - and that means there are years when the fit doesn't work and the players go elsewhere. In the last 12 years I believe we have had three one player classes and a couple of questionable 2 player classes. So 3 great recruits a years ago, 1 this year, 3 next year (and counting) is not out of the norm but 'average' for Uconn.

On Edit - The majority of recruiting is done remotely as well and with modern communications that remote contact can be done from anywhere in the world.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
When Faris class happened Geno swore no more one member classes. Presumably his intention saying that was to do as much as possible to avoid that. My concern is less the size of the class than the only player we did get was in our back yard, not a kid from Indiana.

As I said I'd like to know the number of hours, visits, and contacts involved in recruiting before, during and after. That is an attempt to quantify the impact. Was there sufficient time to build the relationships Geno likes to establish with recruits, especially those key recruits their are really targeting? I think it is naive to think there is no impact. That is not to say it cannot be overcome. If it was about Geno only I would have less concern but it involved significant efforts from the staff, too.

Tara Van Deveer took of time from him program because the demands of doing the two simultaneously are so significant.

You still have not provided a reason for the Faris class and how the reason for it differs from the Chong class. The issue is why there weren't others not where the two that did sign are from.

Like I said, UConn has signed several top recruits and won 2 national championships since Geno was named Olympic coach. Van Deveer is still waiting to win another NC since giving up her Olympic duties. Coach K also uses his Duke staff to assist with his USA coaching duties and has done so since being named Olympic coach in 2005. Coach K still managed to win a NC and land several great recruits.

What is it that UConn fans have missed out on because of Geno being named Olympic coach?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
There's logic behind the USA assignment helping recruitment = visibility + prestige + connections. There's logic behind the USA assignment hurting recruitment = time + effort away from recruiting. Meanwhile, the empirical evidence shows similar results in the quality and quantity of recruits obtained both before and after the first USA appointment.

In other words, this is a great topic for the Boneyard experts to discuss :p !

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I have thought, and posted, that I believe that Geno will contentedly retire when he has achieved at least ten NC's (two more than Pat and at least a tie with Wooden) and at least 1,000 wins (maybe, say, 1,072?). Now the irresistible conclusion is that he has added a couple Olympic gold medals to his "to-do" list.

I have no inside information upon which to base my speculation in this matter but it just seems reasonable.

As for the effect on recruiting, I think it's a wash. On the one hand he (and his staff) may have less time to identify HS talent and establish contact, but -- on the other hand -- there are a host of HS and AAU coaches who will be trying to call his attention to blue-chip (or even red- or white-chip) players on their teams. Not to mention a few hundred young ladies who would give anything to have an opportunity to play for this legendary coach. (A'ja Wilson or Asia Durr may be among them, we'll see.)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, the empirical evidence shows similar results in the quality and quantity of recruits obtained both before and after the first USA appointment.

Very true. Geno and his staff had a ton of time to recruit after Diana graduated and there were some lean years. Fortunately he and his staff have figured out how to make use of less time.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Great for UCONN, as I see it. Beats home visits and recruiting calls. Geno is The Man, UCONN is The Program. Period. “You always get what you give” with UCONN’s WBB.

Also serves to fire up the doom and gloomers who, for some reason, like to post such here at The Boneyard. Need a PHD Psychologist to figure out that one.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
phil...I'm speculating Geno tweeted, "I still say that second bottle of my signature wine isn't as good as the first....it's better, so buy more..."

ice...I don't know total hours, visits, contacts in typical year's recruiting...good question. BUT, here are 5 observations:
1. IMO the LIMITS on number of visits, calls, contacts and the limits on WHEN "recruiting" can occur makes the total time Geno can use to recruit finite. (As opposed to unlimited.)
2. Geno is either 3/4 or 3/5 done w/ 2014 recruiting AND already making home visits for 2015 recruits. Seems ahead of the game, not behind. (not saying you say he's behind)
3. Geno (and staff) spent every waking moment last season getting UConn in position to win another N.C. Impact on recruiting = HUGE (and nobody else got that advantage)
4. UConn in good position to repeat #3. Impact on recruiting = HUGE, no "off season" effort needed by Geno.
5. UConn had three players spend two months w/ a prized recruit this summer. Impact on recruiting = We will see...., but Geno didn't have to do a thing.

Top recruits know if Geno is interested and offering a scholarship. I trust Geno budgets enough time to get his "pitch" to those few top recruits he wants. UConn's N.C.s and players on USA teams gives Geno advantages over most other programs. Hopefully, that does overcome any time issues...Go Huskies..!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
From Rich: http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/

“USA Basketball adamantly wanted Geno to serve for another four years,’’ a source said. “He mulled the decision over for months while USA Basketball waited patiently for him. The two points are they really wanted him back and he honestly had a change of heart I think. He initially was planning on not doing it again. They convinced him to do it again.’’

BTW, tomorrow's 1pm press conference from Gampel will be streamed at usabasketball.com.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
In addition to Kelly, wasn't Kennitra Johnson a one-player class?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is a joking post so chill everyone, but ...
The biggest advantage I see is that Geno can finally shut out TN from the national team - Catchings - too old, Parker ... sort of duplicates what he can get from the younger talent out there in EDD and Griner and Stewart, so ... sorry.
Then he can pack the team with former Uconn players - six was not enough:
Tina, Maya, DT, Sue obviously, but now KML, Stewart, Kelly and Bria can join them - 2/3rds of the national team sounds about right.:cool:

Actually I believe Maria and some of her brethren on a certain board are having this exact nightmare right about now. So that is definitely a plus to the current news.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You still have not provided a reason for the Faris class and how the reason for it differs from the Chong class. The issue is why there weren't others not where the two that did sign are from.

Like I said, UConn has signed several top recruits and won 2 national championships since Geno was named Olympic coach. Van Deveer is still waiting to win another NC since giving up her Olympic duties. Coach K also uses his Duke staff to assist with his USA coaching duties and has done so since being named Olympic coach in 2005. Coach K still managed to win a NC and land several great recruits.

What is it that UConn fans have missed out on because of Geno being named Olympic coach?

The point of saying that it is anecdotal is that there are no direct similarities to be made. What is known is Geno's stated desire to avoid similar situations to Kelly Faris and Kennitra Johnson. It didn't happen but we have no provable/measurable reason why thus I said anecdotal because the storyline is it happened despite Geno's protestations against such things. It was even questionable for awhile that Chong was going to come. That would have been a class of zip.

It is reasonable to ask the question of the impact of USA basketball. I suggested one method by which it might be measured. It is not in my power to resolve the statistical evidence since I do not have access. Geno and staff have signed exactly 1+3 players since the Olympic push. The 3 were in the year following when time was not pressured by the Olympic event. I said it is naive to think it doesn't impact. I did not say it means it is impossible to get recruits. I said it can be overcome, that means extra effort from those involved. My concern is that potential impact on recruiting in 2017 which is the equivalent of the recruitment of Chong in 2013. I do not expect a potential negative beyond the year of the Olympics when closing commitments and LOI are signed when time demands return to normal.

Using one's own staff makes all the sense in the world because they will be the best interpreters of a head coach's approach to the game. It still means the use of time they would likely invest in other pursuits whether rebuilding their own health and personal resources or less time with family or other things related to the program at UCONN. There are only 24 hours in a day. No one gets any more.

There are tremendous assets to a college program having the head coach with the visibility of being Olympic coach. They are part of what helps to balance the costs.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Geno (presumably accompanied by CD, Shea or Marisa) will be making home visits to a few top recruits soon (e.g., Durr, Wilson).

It is easy to visualize a little visual presentation about the eight NC's and the Basketball Development Center now under construction.

As for Geno's ability to "close the sale"? I once read that when he finished his spiel he could walk out the door with the family dog and the family would be grateful in the knowledge that their beloved pet was in such good hands.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ok, so who will be joining him?

Tina, Fowles, Angel, Maya, Parker, DT seem likely
with Augustus, Bird, Catchings, Whalen possible

Griner and EDD seem shoo-ins.

with players like Nneka, Sims, KML, TBS also contending

World Championships in 2014 and Olympics in 2016. Many lessons learned in London, including the need for size and toughness in the post to deal with Liz Cambage and the Aussies. I trust USA BB and Geno to come up with the right blend of experience and youth.

Coaches? Bruno maybe. Cheryl Reeves might deserve a shot. Other possibilities?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
David wrote:
ice...I don't know total hours, visits, contacts in typical year's recruiting...good question. BUT, here are 5 observations:
1. IMO the LIMITS on number of visits, calls, contacts and the limits on WHEN "recruiting" can occur makes the total time Geno can use to recruit finite. (As opposed to unlimited.) Do these times align with the demands of the Olympic program?
2. Geno is either 3/4 or 3/5 done w/ 2014 recruiting AND already making home visits for 2015 recruits. Seems ahead of the game, not behind. (not saying you say he's behind) Yes, I do not think it likely impacts these years at all.
3. Geno (and staff) spent every waking moment last season getting UConn in position to win another N.C. Impact on recruiting = HUGE (and nobody else got that advantage) Of course, but not relevent to assessing whether Olympics commitments alter regular recruiting activity.
4. UConn in good position to repeat #3. Impact on recruiting = HUGE, no "off season" effort needed by Geno. Yep.
5. UConn had three players spend two months w/ a prized recruit this summer. Impact on recruiting = We will see...., but Geno didn't have to do a thing. Yep, and again irrelevent to recruiting of the class of 2017 which is the parallel year to Chong's class of 1.

Those are all things that need to be considered and which help to mitigate any negative impacts of participation in responsibilities to the Olympics.. I am not saying in anyway or manner that it is not worth doing. Just that I think it is very naive to think there are no costs or impacts on a program. In some ways I think that coaching the Olympic team in this cycle is easier because players will already have experience with Geno's thoughts and expectations. The learning curve will be better. Also, the CT staff will have a better idea of how to manage time with a second go around which can only help.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The biggest advantage I see is that Geno can finally shut out TN from the national team - Catchings - too old, Parker ... sort of duplicates what he can get from the younger talent out there in EDD and Griner and Stewart, so ... sorry.
Tina, Maya, DT, Sue obviously, but now KML, Stewart, Kelly and Bria can join them - 2/3rds of the national team sounds about right.:cool:

Actually I believe Maria and some of her brethren on a certain board are having this exact nightmare right about now. So that is definitely a plus to the current news.

I understand you were joking but there are some who think the coach selects the team. In fact, the team is selected by a USA basketball committee. That committee is not unaware of the identify of the coach, which may play a part in close calls, but it is a myth that the head coach picks the players.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sure, Phil, but in Knoxville they are sure you are wrong.

Reaction Score

I do see the smiley face so I presume it is mostly for Kelley making the team. The Summitt would implode if that were to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom