Geno On The 6th Member of Next Year's Recruiting Class | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno On The 6th Member of Next Year's Recruiting Class

Reaction Score
At what point of the season has the "core 3/4" become "big 3/4"? Is it getting confused with the "other" big 3? ;)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Geno had a similar dilemma between starting sophomore Crystal or Azura. The unfair part is that for some fans any season that doesn't end in a championship=equals Geno making the wrong decision.
horrible decision, came up short since year after year... I feel bad for Crystal!

Reaction Score
When I attended games I thought that Westbrook was upset during the pregame by her expression. I have been accused of looking sullen when I wasn't. Glad to hear that it was simply her look. I hope she glares at opponents like that next season. :)
I agree! We need another "in your face" Jen Rizzotti type, to be "bad for BB again"! :D

Reaction Score
Other than Batouly, whose injuries kept her out more than anything, which of his transfers did he recruit when they were still in high school?

From the video, it sounded like they were interested in her until she made it clear she was going elsewhere and, conversely, I feel like I remember a quote from somewhere wondering why UConn didn't pursue her more intensely while she was in high school.
They recruited Hunter but there were parent issues. Hunter played less because of injuries.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They recruited Hunter but there were parent issues. Hunter played less because of injuries.
I also seem to remember that UCONN had some interest or knowledge of Azura when she was in HS. It might have been through her older sister who played at St. Johns.

Reaction Score
Very surprised to hear Coach Geno speak so glowingly about Evina regarding every aspect of her game and demeaner. Seems to be signaling that she could be a starter next year. Rare that he talks that way about transfers.

Reaction Score
For fogged-out Boneyarders who may not know who the 6th member of the incoming class of 2020 might be, I am of course referring to Evina Westbrook, who will be eligible to play in a blue uniform for the first time in 2020-21.

On tonight's Geno Auriemma show, Maria invited him to talk about Evina, her story (including her surgery), and what impression he has formed of her since she has been in Storrs. The whole Evina topic consumed perhaps 5 minutes on the show.

Of interest to this forum is Geno's assessment of her basketball ability: "For the short amount of time that she was able to practice -- whew! She's really good." He added that she is more of an aggressive, slashing type of player, which he thinks the team needs given that UConn is now mainly a jump shooting team. (Wasn't that also supposed to be Christyn's game?) He also said that he could feel her bringing an edge to practice, in contrast to the laid-back demeanor of many of her teammates.

In response to Maria's question about what she has contributed already, he said that he has been favorably impressed by everything she has done in her current non-playing role. He said that she has been a good teammate who has "touched everybody", in contrast to other teammates who tend to form cliques (he didn't use that word) that they usually interact with. He seemed to think that it was very important for someone to do what Evina is doing in that respect.

He complained again about the NCAA's denial of her eligibility for this year, but said that it has given her "the opportunity to have surgery that she has needed for a long time." He did not express any reservation about her ability to play to the full limits of her ability next year.

There was some talk (mostly on VolNation, I think) that maybe she was a selfish player or not a good teammate, but clearly Geno did not subscribe to that view.

Given her numbers in two years at Tennessee and this report from Geno, I have a hard time imagining that she will not be a starter next year.
Exactly, who are the newcomers next year besides Westbrook.
For fogged-out Boneyarders who may not know who the 6th member of the incoming class of 2020 might be, I am of course referring to Evina Westbrook, who will be eligible to play in a blue uniform for the first time in 2020-21.

On tonight's Geno Auriemma show, Maria invited him to talk about Evina, her story (including her surgery), and what impression he has formed of her since she has been in Storrs. The whole Evina topic consumed perhaps 5 minutes on the show.

Of interest to this forum is Geno's assessment of her basketball ability: "For the short amount of time that she was able to practice -- whew! She's really good." He added that she is more of an aggressive, slashing type of player, which he thinks the team needs given that UConn is now mainly a jump shooting team. (Wasn't that also supposed to be Christyn's game?) He also said that he could feel her bringing an edge to practice, in contrast to the laid-back demeanor of many of her teammates.

In response to Maria's question about what she has contributed already, he said that he has been favorably impressed by everything she has done in her current non-playing role. He said that she has been a good teammate who has "touched everybody", in contrast to other teammates who tend to form cliques (he didn't use that word) that they usually interact with. He seemed to think that it was very important for someone to do what Evina is doing in that respect.

He complained again about the NCAA's denial of her eligibility for this year, but said that it has given her "the opportunity to have surgery that she has needed for a long time." He did not express any reservation about her ability to play to the full limits of her ability next year.

There was some talk (mostly on VolNation, I think) that maybe she was a selfish player or not a good teammate, but clearly Geno did not subscribe to that view.

Given her numbers in two years at Tennessee and this report from Geno, I have a hard time imagining that she will not be a starter next year.
Who are the other five coming in? I know of only three.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Evina needs to play the 2 guard. She's better suited for that position. Her issues at TN in regards to chemistry did not become an issue until during the season. When teams aren't winning, players usually start harping at each other and pointing the finger of blame. When teams are winning, the chemistry is typically great! Winning has a way of curing all ails

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Evina needs to play the 2 guard. She's better suited for that position. Her issues at TN in regards to chemistry did not become an issue until during the season. When teams aren't winning, players usually start harping at each other and pointing the finger of blame. When teams are winning, the chemistry is typically great! Winning has a way of curing all ails
The chances of EW playing the 2 at UConn while CW is here lies somewhere between a big fat no and an even fatter never. For EW it's pretty much PG or the wing.

Reaction Score
The chances of EW playing the 2 at UConn while CW is here lies somewhere between a big fat no and an even fatter never. For EW it's pretty much PG or the wing.
First, why can't CW play the 3? Second, is there a big difference between playing the 2 and the 3? Assuming one wants to make hard distinctions in the modern era, the 2 and 3 are more alike than any other two positions.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
He said that she has been a good teammate who has "touched everybody", in contrast to other teammates who tend to form cliques (he didn't use that word) that they usually interact with. He seemed to think that it was very important for someone to do what Evina is doing in that respect.
I took note that when Liv had her nose bloodied, it was EW who went out on the floor to bring her a towel and took some time to check on her before the training staff got to her. I was impressed by that and felt it is an indicator of the kind of player she is.

My feeling is that next year she will be a key performer for us. She can succeed at the 1, 2, or 3 providing much flexibility specially as the freshmen get acclimated to UConn and D1 hoops. I hope she stays 2 years. But if she has an AA season, the smart move would be to go ahead and get the cash.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Exactly, who are the newcomers next year besides Westbrook.

Who are the other five coming in? I know of only three.
Paige, Aaliyah, Nika, Piath,Mir

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
First, why can't CW play the 3? Second, is there a big difference between playing the 2 and the 3? Assuming one wants to make hard distinctions in the modern era, the 2 and 3 are more alike than any other two positions.
It all depends on the the personnel. When you have a 2 and 3 that are very similar in that they can shoot from 3, slash to the hoop, rebound and play defense, I usually call them wings. When I use the numeric nomenclature, the 3 is typically a better rebounder and slasher, the 2 would be better beyond the arc and a better ball handler. The 3 is typically bigger and stronger than a 2 while the two would be quicker. The size and quickness would factor more into defensive assignments. In a zone the 3 will play underneath while the 2 is defensively on the arc with more 3 ball responsibility. In Man-2-Man defense the 3 will guard a bigger, stronger opponent while the 2 while take a quicker player. That of course is in a perfect world. In real life Crystal ends up guarding Lauren Cox.

Reaction Score
In this and other threads, when discussing recruits are speculating on next year's starting lineup, many posters will use the 1-5 nomenclature (representing point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward, center). I'll acknowledge that this shorthand can be useful for understanding where players fit in, but I think too many apply it restrictively, forcing players into slots (she's a 2, not a 3; she can't play the 4; we already have X at the 3) when considering who UConn should recruit or start or play.

The reality, as I see it, is that basketball is quickly evolving past this traditional understanding of lineups. A number of factors has accelerating non-traditional thinking about lineups - the impact of the 3-point line and an emphasis on shooting and spacing, better shooting among all positions, "bigs" with the skill sets traditionally associated with smaller players. This has lead to greater experimentation and a willingness by coaches to reconsider their lineups, often employing different look lineups in different situations. One obvious example is coaches going to a small ball lineup, but one need only look to the NBA for teams pushing the limits on lineup construction with no traditional centers and so on.

Consider how UConn normally constructs their lineup. Geno always has a true point guard (Jen, Sue, Rene, Moriah, Crystal), and likes to employ a "big," but beyond that he has shown flexibility. Sometimes by choice, sometimes by necessity. When I look at the players available next year, I would expect to see more of this experimentation. Using the traditional nomenclature, we could see lineups of a 1-3-3-3-5, or a 1-2-3-4-4, or a variety of other combinations. To put it another way, we could see two point guards playing with two wings and a big, or a point guard with three wings and a big, and so on.

Bottom line, next year it looks like we are going to have a lot of talented, athletic players who don't fit in the "big" or point guard category. As I see it, you can almost never have too many players who can defend, move and shoot. This potential wealth of resources, with the flexibility it provides for Geno, could make UConn a match up nightmare for other teams, even if we don't have the "bigs" that many seem to long for.

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
In this and other threads, when discussing recruits are speculating on next year's starting lineup, many posters will use the 1-5 nomenclature (representing point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward, center). I'll acknowledge that this shorthand can be useful for understanding where players fit in, but I think too many apply it restrictively, forcing players into slots (she's a 2, not a 3; she can't play the 4; we already have X at the 3) when considering who UConn should recruit or start or play.

The reality, as I see it, is that basketball is quickly evolving past this traditional understanding of lineups. A number of factors has accelerating non-traditional thinking about lineups - the impact of the 3-point line and an emphasis on shooting and spacing, better shooting among all positions, "bigs" with the skill sets traditionally associated with smaller players. This has lead to greater experimentation and a willingness by coaches to reconsider their lineups, often employing different look lineups in different situations. One obvious example is coaches going to a small ball lineup, but one need only look to the NBA for teams pushing the limits on lineup construction with no traditional centers and so on.

Consider how UConn normally constructs their lineup. Geno always has a true point guard (Jen, Sue, Rene, Moriah, Crystal), and likes to employ a "big," but beyond that he has shown flexibility. Sometimes by choice, sometimes by necessity. When I look at the players available next year, I would expect to see more of this experimentation. Using the traditional nomenclature, we could see lineups of a 1-3-3-3-5, or a 1-2-3-4-4, or a variety of other combinations. To put it another way, we could see two point guards playing with two wings and a big, or a point guard with three wings and a big, and so on.

Bottom line, next year it looks like we are going to have a lot of talented, athletic players who don't fit in the "big" or point guard category. As I see it, you can almost never have too many players who can defend, move and shoot. This potential wealth of resources, with the flexibility it provides for Geno, could make UConn and match up nightmare for other teams, even if we don't have the "bigs" that many seem to long for.
Pat Riley wanted to get it going with the 'Showtime Lakers' He said he wanted 5 players who could play all 5 positions. He almost got it. It' called positionless basketball. From possession to possession each player just fills the role that falls to them.

The problem is that there are only a couple of unicorns that can be 6'8" (or 6' 4" in the WBB) and dominate at the point or the post. Magic may be as close as anyone ever came.

JordyG

Reaction Score
CW has had a hell of a time finally adjusting to the 2 spot. She finally may be finding her shot. Now next year you want her, as a junior, to change positions and go up against much bigger, stronger players? Insane. What do you want from this kid?

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Bottom line, next year it looks like we are going to have a lot of talented, athletic players who don't fit in the "big" or point guard category. As I see it, you can almost never have too many players who can defend, move and shoot. This potential wealth of resources, with the flexibility it provides for Geno, could make UConn and match up nightmare for other teams, even if we don't have the "bigs" that many seem to long for.
Agreed. If you put everyone in what they really are this year you're basically playing with a 1-2-2-3-5. One of the best teams we ever had was basically a 1-2-4-4-4. (2002)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Uconn's best defensive teams were probably the Stewart/Morgan/Moriah years and the following two where they were switching on all screens. Seeing Moriah sometimes defending a center by fronting her and disrupting the entry passes with her incredible ups. I think it was SC or maybe MsSt when the guards could not seem to get it over her.

And often the real initiator of offense at Uconn has not been a traditional PG - Maya, Faris, Dolson, Lou, Gabby to name a few.

Reaction Score
CW has had a hell of a time finally adjusting to the 2 spot. She finally may be finding her shot. Now next year you want her, as a junior, to change positions and go up against much bigger, stronger players. Insane. What do you want from this kid?
I want her to get substantial playing time. And I don't worry about her being out-muscled. As she and Geno have both observed, she is naturally strong. Add two seasons under Amanda Kimball's tutelage and CW will hold her on.

Reaction Score

Like I said from DAY 1, Westbrook's 2nd surgery was elective!

JordyG

Reaction Score
Like I said from DAY 1, Westbrook's 2nd surgery was elective!
Yes. She elected to have a much needed surgery now instead of waiting until after this season. The surgery was going to happen sooner or later. The most elective surgeries are breast reduction or enlargement, bariatic surgery, refractive surgery etc.

Reaction Score
It's a rather small sample size though, the media guide says:
Brittany Hunter -Started 24 of 30 games for '07-08 season
Natalie Butler 0 Starts in 36 games during the '16-17
Azura Stevens 8 starts in 37 games during '17-18 Season
Rather a small sample size since Butler had a broken thumb and trouble holding the ball. Not sure I would say this is any indication of Geno's preference one way or another regarding transfers. Normally UConn doesn't need them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom