Geno On The 6th Member of Next Year's Recruiting Class | The Boneyard

Geno On The 6th Member of Next Year's Recruiting Class

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
For fogged-out Boneyarders who may not know who the 6th member of the incoming class of 2020 might be, I am of course referring to Evina Westbrook, who will be eligible to play in a blue uniform for the first time in 2020-21.

On tonight's Geno Auriemma show, Maria invited him to talk about Evina, her story (including her surgery), and what impression he has formed of her since she has been in Storrs. The whole Evina topic consumed perhaps 5 minutes on the show.

Of interest to this forum is Geno's assessment of her basketball ability: "For the short amount of time that she was able to practice -- whew! She's really good." He added that she is more of an aggressive, slashing type of player, which he thinks the team needs given that UConn is now mainly a jump shooting team. (Wasn't that also supposed to be Christyn's game?) He also said that he could feel her bringing an edge to practice, in contrast to the laid-back demeanor of many of her teammates.

In response to Maria's question about what she has contributed already, he said that he has been favorably impressed by everything she has done in her current non-playing role. He said that she has been a good teammate who has "touched everybody", in contrast to other teammates who tend to form cliques (he didn't use that word) that they usually interact with. He seemed to think that it was very important for someone to do what Evina is doing in that respect.

He complained again about the NCAA's denial of her eligibility for this year, but said that it has given her "the opportunity to have surgery that she has needed for a long time." He did not express any reservation about her ability to play to the full limits of her ability next year.

There was some talk (mostly on VolNation, I think) that maybe she was a selfish player or not a good teammate, but clearly Geno did not subscribe to that view.

Given her numbers in two years at Tennessee and this report from Geno, I have a hard time imagining that she will not be a starter next year.

Reaction Score
She was always a slasher and an attacker in the lane. She did that at Tenn.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I was worried about her demeanor on the bench... seems soooo serious, smiled very little. Geno thanks for the encouraging words

Reaction Score
I've wondered over the last couple of years about the chemistry among the players. Since it's not a nice topic and my thoughts were thinly supported I was reluctant to bring them up and I won't now. But Geno wouldn't make up something so it's good to hear that Westbrook has a wide circle of team mates she associates with.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Anyone remember Geno’s quote about Azura Stevens in the summer before she became eligible. Paraphrased: there was no one in the gym that could stop her. That was not the UCONN gym he was speaking of either, it was USA basketball which included A’Ja Wilson and some other very good players. I would not read too much into that Geno interview.

Reaction Score
Anyone remember Geno’s quote about Azura Stevens in the summer before she became eligible. Paraphrased: there was no one in the gym that could stop her. That was not the UCONN gym he was speaking of either, it was USA basketball which included A’Ja Wilson and some other very good players. I would not read too much into that Geno interview.
Geno has shown a reluctance to start transfers, over "his recruits".

Reaction Score
When I attended games I thought that Westbrook was upset during the pregame by her expression. I have been accused of looking sullen when I wasn't. Glad to hear that it was simply her look. I hope she glares at opponents like that next season. :)

...if I'm not mistaken that wasn't the only time you have been accused, as I read on another thread. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
In terms of starters next year, it's hard to say beyond the Big 3, but Evina will get major minutes, as will Anna, Paige, and maybe some others.
You may have missed it but next year’s Big 3 is now the Big 4. If Evina commits to two years, she will get quality minutes. If it’s only one, then Geno needs to develop his own recruits.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno has shown a reluctance to start transfers, over "his recruits".
It's a rather small sample size though, the media guide says:
Brittany Hunter -Started 24 of 30 games for '07-08 season
Natalie Butler 0 Starts in 36 games during the '16-17
Azura Stevens 8 starts in 37 games during '17-18 Season

Reaction Score
...if I'm not mistaken that wasn't the only time you have been accused, as I read on another thread. :rolleyes:

I get accused of many things but fortunately my facial appearance isn't available on-line...... or at least I think the camera is disabled. ;)

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Other than Batouly, whose injuries kept her out more than anything, which of his transfers did he recruit when they were still in high school?

From the video, it sounded like they were interested in her until she made it clear she was going elsewhere and, conversely, I feel like I remember a quote from somewhere wondering why UConn didn't pursue her more intensely while she was in high school.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It's a rather small sample size though, the media guide says:
Brittany Hunter -Started 24 of 30 games for '07-08 season
Natalie Butler 0 Starts in 36 games during the '16-17
Azura Stevens 8 starts in 37 games during '17-18 Season
But in almost every instance you cite he had experience at the incoming transfers position and he could afford to play others. Next year Evina is the only experienced PG on the team, is aquainted with the offense, and is a potential AA at that. I still believe that during the exhibitions and on day one Evina is the starter at PG. As the season progresses this may change. But day one, EW.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As the owner of a "angry resting face", I'll add that while it can be a pain in the a** at times, it also has its benefits:)!
I'm not joking. I've been accused of having a sullen face even while I'm smiling and shaking everyone's hand in the room.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not joking. I've been accused of having a sullen face even while I'm smiling and shaking everyone's hand in the room.
:eek:
The problem might be what you are doing just before you shake hands. :D

Reaction Score
You may have missed it but next year’s Big 3 is now the Big 4. If Evina commits to two years, she will get quality minutes. If it’s only one, then Geno needs to develop his own recruits.

No he needs to do whatever he has to to make the team as good as possible to win as many games as possible. This isn’t about anything other then that and anyone trying to read more into is kidding themselves.

Every decision is for the overall success as a team. Period.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No he needs to do whatever he has to to make the team as good as possible to win as many games as possible. This isn’t about anything other then that and anyone trying to read more into is kidding themselves.
Every decision is for the overall success as a team. Period.
He (Geno) will always do what best for the team no doubt. That doesn't mean all his decision (options?) are easy to make though. Maybe I should put this in the form of a poll. Example: Which is the better investment for Geno next season?
1) Invest in Paige as the starting PG because you'll have her for hopefully 4 years.
2) Invest in Evina as the starting PG because she has the experience you might need to win a championship next year.

Geno had a similar dilemma between starting sophomore Crystal or Azura. The unfair part is that for some fans, any season that doesn't end in a championship=equals Geno making the wrong decision.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom