Geno On The 6th Member of Next Year's Recruiting Class | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno On The 6th Member of Next Year's Recruiting Class

Reaction Score
Uconn's best defensive teams were probably the Stewart/Morgan/Moriah years and the following two where they were switching on all screens. Seeing Moriah sometimes defending a center by fronting her and disrupting the entry passes with her incredible ups. I think it was SC or maybe MsSt when the guards could not seem to get it over her.

And often the real initiator of offense at Uconn has not been a traditional PG - Maya, Faris, Dolson, Lou, Gabby to name a few.
Moriah to me was the best pound for pound defender in UCONN history. Aubrey has a chance to be up there though with Gabby and Moriah, Kia, Stokes, Faris etc.

Reaction Score
Like I said from DAY 1, Westbrook's 2nd surgery was elective!

But she had to eventually have surgery because of the pain, correct? Otherwise she was going to have it this offseason. I know what I read and to start the season Geno specifically said if Evina were to play this season she would be playing with a lot of pain.

That's not the definition of a healthy knee. So you can call it "elective" all you want-- but eventually she had to have it. What we do know is that she "elected" to have it because her knee was still bothering her. You don't go have knee surgeries if your knee isn't bothering you especially when Geno said that she'd be playing in pain.

Reaction Score
But she had to eventually have surgery because of the pain, correct? Otherwise she was going to have it this offseason. I know what I read and to start the season Geno specifically said if Evina were to play this season she would be playing with a lot of pain.

That's not the definition of a healthy knee. So you can call it "elective" all you want-- but eventually she had to have it. What we do know is that she "elected" to have it because her knee was still bothering her. You don't go have knee surgeries if your knee isn't bothering you especially when Geno said that she'd be playing in pain.

Who is disputing any of that? The only reason for my post was to highlight the fact the Westbrook's 2nd revision surgery she had this year was NOT the result of any NEW injury, At the time the news came out I spoke to some of my contacts on campus and the word was it was a simple elective surgery she chose to have now so she can have a full off-season to prepare. I made a post expressing this and there were a number of posters that told me "I was crazy and that she got hurt when she was visiting home, and it was a new injury", yada, yada, yada. I just wanted to clarify that it was NOT a new injury.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Moriah to me was the best pound for pound defender in UCONN history. Aubrey has a chance to be up there though with Gabby and Moriah, Kia, Stokes, Faris etc.
Mo was an outstanding defender. It seemed that she picked up every loose ball on the floor. I recall when Texas isolated 6’4” Kelsey Lang on Moriah on the block after a switch. They thought they had an easy bucket. But Mo elevated and snatched the lob pass. She had the ability to take over games on the defensive end. Or the offensive end.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nykesha still holds the all-time UConn record for steals with 447
That one is the most dominant record at Uconn Moore's scoring lead is 360 over Breanna for 11.9% greater. Nykesha's steals record is 94 over Moriah for a 21% advantage. None of the other Uconn stats are close to those ranges except for field goal percentage at 10.7% (Williams at .703 vs. Wolters at .628)

But on the pound for pound scale Moriah at 5'6" and 123 pounds probably still takes the prize against the 6'0" Sales.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Earlier in the year she looked fine and happy to me on the bench - check the video of this game at about the 1:03:20 mark:

Is she always like that on the bench...

Reaction Score
Mo was an outstanding defender. It seemed that she picked up every loose ball on the floor. I recall when Texas isolated 6’4” Kelsey Lang on Moriah on the block after a switch. They thought they had an easy bucket. But Mo elevated and snatched the lob pass. She had the ability to take over games on the defensive end. Or the offensive end.
Mo got the court time to prove her defensive abilities since she expanded her offensive skills as well. A defensive only player rarely gets a full game's worth of minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom