Game Week 2022 - UConn v. UMass (Friday - 11/4/22 @ 7p on CBSSN) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Game Week 2022 - UConn v. UMass (Friday - 11/4/22 @ 7p on CBSSN)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Up to this point, I've never really given enough consideration to UMess to actually hate them.
Sounds like you weren't around when they had a decent hoop team for a cup of coffee. The team stenographer wrote in the Republican that they were "in a position to dictate terms."

Reaction Score
I have followed UConn basketball since 1998 and football closely from 2003-2011 and 2021-present. I have never known UMass to be anything remotely close to a rival in either sport, although I've seen the word pop up starting last year regarding football. Hopefully we dominate them so thoroughly in the near future that the rivalry never really takes hold.

Reaction Score
I have followed UConn basketball since 1998 and football closely from 2003-2011 and 2021-present. I have never known UMass to be anything remotely close to a rival in either sport, although I've seen the word pop up starting last year regarding football. Hopefully we dominate them so thoroughly in the near future that the rivalry never really takes hold.
You should have been around when UConn and UMass were recruiting Marcus Camby. That was fun to watch. Calhoun and Calipari at their best.

Reaction Score
If you don't think UCONN and UMASS are rivals I have to assume you are under 30. It's been a huge rivalry for decades. It should also be an annual basketball game but egos get in the way.

Weirdly enough US NEWS currently has UCONN and UMASS tied at 67 in their University rankings.

Last edited:

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I’m 40 and don’t consider them rivals. As others have said, pummel them and move on; this game should be a free win yearly, and nothing more.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I would consider Temple or UCF to be bigger rivals than UMass. Nobody has cared about UMass at all since the mid 1990s. Ideally, we should have a rivalry game against Syracuse, but I can see why they wouldn't want to schedule it.

If we're going to play some random northeastern G5 team every year, I'd rather play Buffalo. That said, UMass is convenient for scheduling as a fellow independent so I get why we have yearly games against them.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They were available. Anything but a win is a disappointment. Beating RI or Maine would illicit the same feelings. If we are considering UMass a rivalry game, we aren't at the level we should be.

Let them become a consistent Top 50 team and we can talk, 'cause that's where we want to be right now.

Reaction Score
Even though they've never been good, I definitely hate UMass. Hope we bury them for the next 6 years
They won a national championship 98 and runner up. I work there and people don’t even realize it. They still talk about the glory days of calipari, Camby and roe.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They won a national championship this century and runner up. I work there and people don’t even realize it. They still talk about the glory days of calipari, Camby and roe last Century.
Who is they in this conversation? Are you saying UMass won a national title this century? Football did win FCS title in 1998, but even that was last century if it’s what you’re referring to.

Reaction Score
I don't hate UMass I just hate losing to them and enjoy beating them. Actually I feel something more like a warm, inner peace when we beat them as opposed to giddy joy. A peace that the natural order of things has not been upset and that all is as it should be.

Reaction Score
I don't hate UMass I just hate losing to them and enjoy beating them. Actually I feel something more like a warm, inner peace when we beat them as opposed to giddy joy. A peace that the natural order of things has not been upset and that all is as it should be.

Like beating BC in hoops.

Reaction Score
UConn had a 36% chance of winning last Saturday. This Friday night UMass has almost that. So that should inform the players' view of the competition. What goes around comes around. Focus will be needed for UConn to get what it came for. UConn almost got back to 500 once before and failed at the final jump. It would be tragic if it happened again. This should be a very interesting game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Back in the Yankee conference days they were a rival. At this point, I would typically say it’s a “one-sided rivalry“ with UMass punching up, but they did get a win last year. Let’s beat them decisively before we decide to dismiss them.

Reaction Score
Regardless of the rivalry talk, this game is a must-win for us if we want to be bowl eligible. Liberty is a likely L, and the away game at Army is not going to be easy.

Personally I think our offense has to get a lot better and limit those penalties before we can feel like favorites to win any game. Hopefully Marion will be ready for Friday, the offense looked a lot more confident with him on the field.

I also think Mora will have this team fired up and ready to compete against UMass, it’s going to be fun!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom