GABBY & Wooden Award | Page 3 | The Boneyard

GABBY & Wooden Award

Reaction Score
Never said Gabby was the sole reason we are undefeated- said exactly the opposite. You consulting "Wikipedia" for a definition of a post up is mind blowing.

I guess I don't understand what "dragging" team meant. I must be real dumb, please excuse my ignorance. Also there were many sources I can pull from to defend your knitpicking of what I was saying about Lou being able to score down low. I just picked the first and second, but once again just attack and avoid the actual points made.

Reaction Score
Although it wasn't the key point of your response, you hit the nail on the head concerning her WNBA prospects. I would hate to think that WNBA draft position and marketability have any influence on the Awards committees, so we will pretend they don't. Just from a skills/position standpoint, Gabby is in a weird dilemma. At her size and length, she will not succeed as a post player in the league. Any team that is planning on drafting her knows this. Anyone who has even a minimal understanding of the WNBA as it stands, knows this. I recall a few members on this board (who were ostracized for having an opinion) pointing this out too.

Many will point to the success of Danielle Adams (Stars) or Alicia Clarke (Storm) as examples of undersized college post players who made a smooth transition to the league. Adams is a significantly wider player than Gabby, has immense physical strength, and has 1 or 2 inches on her. Adams developed a wide offensive repertoire at TA&M, and was therefore utilized by her WNBA team as a three-point threat. That's the key: SHE HAD A RELIABLE SHOT. Same thing goes for Clarke. Great midrange shooter and slasher (with both hands), but a very solid three-point shooter to boot. Clarke no longer plays the post, but if you watch the Storm, she often posts her man up down-low. She is a match-up problem for many teams.

As athletically gifted as Gabby Williams is, once in the WNBA, the margin of difference (athletically) between her and the other players won't be as significant. Doesn't take away from her sheer strength and ability; she is a freak of nature. However, we need to be realistic with our appraisals, and I think that's what Los24 and others are getting at. At the end of the day, as valuable as she is to UCONN, she is not a consistent offensive threat...and a lot of her production comes from the fact that the defense has to focus more on the threats posed by Lou, Kia, and Pheese.

Gabby is amazing nonetheless, and her determination to be great will hopefully facilitate the development of a more dynamic offensive skill-set in her senior year.
You can be sure that she will be drafted and likely, in the first round. She has all the attributes of Kelly Faris and she's appreciably more athletic. Her shooting has improved appreciably from her arrival in Storrs and there's nothing to suggest it won't continue to do so.

Reaction Score
You can be sure that she will be drafted and likely, in the first round. She has all the attributes of Kelly Faris and she's appreciably more athletic. Her shooting has improved appreciably from her arrival in Storrs and there's nothing to suggest it won't continue to do so.
Not once did I say that she won't be drafted, nor did I state that she'll go late. I assume that if you're going to quote me, you've at least read what I wrote. Don't misquote just to get your two cents in.

I said she will not succeed as a post player in the league, and the teams looking to draft her will therefore utilize her in a different manner than Geno does now. Fact. She will be drafted as a guard/very small forward. She therefore needs to improve her shooting and her overall offensive repertoire in order to produce as a guard. If you understand the guard play and competition level in the WNBA at the guard spot, this should be quite clear.

Reaction Score
I agree with everyone on here that Gabby deserved to be on the Wooden List. I take exception to the main point being she should be over Kia. IMO the main point is that it is ridiculous to limit how many a/a's you can have nominated.

As far as teams focusing on Gabby - I think it is relevant to say teams focus on her/Collier every time a team plays zone they are looking to hinder the Gabby/Collier combo and let Lou beat them.

I also think offensively Lou is more of a diverse and explosive offensive weapon. The reason teams don't play zone is that mostly they are frightened of Lou.

As far as defensively, Gabby is better hands down. Gabby is forced in a way to play centers because Lou can't do it or she just does it better.

As far as who is better between our three of Collier, Gabby and Lou - I'm reminded of the movie "Working Girl" in which Armbrister states after agreeing to sell his company: "
"I'm gonna leave that up to you barracudas to squabble over."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom