GABBY & Wooden Award | The Boneyard

GABBY & Wooden Award

Reaction Score
Can't believe she was left off. I think in many ways she is the team MVP right now - and in no way am I way diminishing the tremendous contributions that Lou, Kia, Pheesa, and Saniya have brought to the team's effort this season.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking that Gabby would rather get an award that is a glass crystal ball instead of one made of wood!!
Gee--And all the time i thought the Award was named for John Wooden--it really discouraging to discover it's made of wood!!

Reaction Score
I'm sure she will take this personal, at least I hope she will. I know UCONN is all about team, and Gabby personifies that, but this has to light a fire under her....and it should.

It's shocking that she was left off, considering in my opinion, the NPOY race is between her and Plum!

Reaction Score
When some questioned whether or not Breanna Stewart was the best player in WCBB, I simply asked: If you were starting a college basketball program and could have the pick of any player in the country to start, who would it be? Case closed.
Gabby's being left off the Wooden list conjures up a similar question: How many of those who made the list would you leave off in order to have Williams on your team? I would leave off MOST of the others. BB is a team sport, and GW is as important to the Huskies as any player on the team (IMHO). Frankly, her not being included calls the value of the entire enterprise into question.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I went back and reran the last game and watched Gabby... It is amazing the things she did (and does) while she is on the floor... blocked shots, deflected passes, disruptions in the passing lanes, tipped rebounds, directing players on defensive coverage and on offensive positioning and passes not to mention her rebounding and point production in a variety of positions... She is always actively looking to do something for the team...

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Some food for thought:

Stats for Gabby after 15 games:
Scoring average 11.5 - 4th on the team
Rebounds 124 - leads the team
Steals 41 - leads the team
Assists 72 - leads the team
Blocks 18 - second on the team.

These stats tell the story. Gabby should have been included. A complete all-around game for everyone to see.

Reaction Score
What I find amazing is how much of Gabby's game mimics Stewie's. Her defense is a near mirror image, the primary difference being that Stewie was taller, which Gabby compensates for with her jumping ability. The behind-the-back blocks and rebounds (without getting called for over-the-back), the wild tip-ins, the court vision - always managing to disrupt passing lanes, the poking/prodding style of help defense in the post...all fairly scream Stewart.

Reaction Score
Stats for Gabby after 15 games:
Scoring average 11.5 - 4th on the team
Rebounds 124 - leads the team
Steals 41 - leads the team
Assists 72 - leads the team
Blocks 18 - second on the team.

Just for funsies:

Stats for Kelsey Plum after 18 games:
Scoring average - 30.7 (1st)
Rebounds - 98 (3rd) 90 are defensive
Steals - 36 (1st)
Assists - 96 (1st)
Blocks - 5 (4th)

So just looking at bare stats, yes, she belongs in the discussion. Her problem is that she has to share the scoring with 4 other starters, where as Plum is by far the primary scorer for her team (next closest averages 1/2 as many points). However, the other stats are all effort stats, and she is ahead in most categories, in 3 fewer games. I need to see Plum play more to adjudicate her defense.

For more funsies:

Stats for Aja Wilson after 14 games:
Scoring average - 16.9 (1st)
Rebounds - 106 (2nd)
Steals - 15 (5th)
Assists - 25 (5th)
Blocks - 31 (1st)

This is even better at putting Gabby's season into perspective. Even taking Coates (159) into consideration, I didn't expect Gabby to be ahead of Wilson in rebounds. IMO, if you are basing it on stats (and we know that it is more than just statisitics), Gabby has one up on Wilson.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Just for funsies:

Stats for Kelsey Plum after 18 games:
Scoring average - 30.7 (1st)
Rebounds - 98 (3rd) 90 are defensive
Steals - 36 (1st)
Assists - 96 (1st)
Blocks - 5 (4th)

So just looking at bare stats, yes, she belongs in the discussion. Her problem is that she has to share the scoring with 4 other starters, where as Plum is by far the primary scorer for her team (next closest averages 1/2 as many points). However, the other stats are all effort stats, and she is ahead in most categories, in 3 fewer games. I need to see Plum play more to adjudicate her defense.

For more funsies:

Stats for Aja Wilson after 14 games:
Scoring average - 16.9 (1st)
Rebounds - 106 (2nd)
Steals - 15 (5th)
Assists - 25 (5th)
Blocks - 31 (1st)

This is even better at putting Gabby's season into perspective. Even taking Coates (159) into consideration, I didn't expect Gabby to be ahead of Wilson in rebounds. IMO, if you are basing it on stats (and we know that it is more than just statisitics), Gabby has one up on Wilson.

Good one!

The reality is points count more than anything. Gabby will not be our leding scorer. I've seen Plum a couple of times on the tube. Her defense is respectable. Her shooting range is scary. And she will most likely set the career NCAA scoring record. But I will take a team full of Gabby's over a Plum any day.

Reaction Score
Good one!

The reality is points count more than anything. Gabby will not be our leding scorer. I've seen Plum a couple of times on the tube. Her defense is respectable. Her shooting range is scary. And she will most likely set the career NCAA scoring record. But I will take a team full of Gabby's over a Plum any day.
On a team full of Gabbys, who shoots the threes? Or does Lou sub in for one of the Gabbys?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For those who don't remember LT, he has so many highlights that they are separated into categories. Here's the pass rushing highlights:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As much as she deserves the accolades...the longer Gabby continues to soar under people's radar, the better.
The problem is she may not be noticed by the public and the media, but when opposing coaches watch the film, she's the one that just jumps off the screen. Almost literally. She's the one they have to scheme against.

Reaction Score
Good one!

So would you take Dennis Rodman over Jordan? Just asking because I really like Gabby's game, even more so because that is how I played (very athletic, active all over, cover bigger guys, good passer, steals, but.... not a great shot or offensive repertoire.)

Everyone needs to remember this is not just athletics but basketball skill set. Plum can score every which way and demand a team's defensive attention every position. She has more assists and steals, not a defensive slouch by any means. Everyone does not realize Plum's or even Lou's effect on the rest of their respective teams' players because of how opponents need to defend.

I watched the highlights of many games and no doubt Gabby is a beast but she seems to be left wide open at times and she dribbles and does a handoff. To me opponents leave her wide open and she decides to take the shot occasionally or when there is a slower opponent assigned to her (often the case) she drives to the basket with her speed. No jump shot, no 3-pt shot, and going into WNBA she is not a 4/5. Not at that level.

One question I asked in another related thread... If Gabby's overall game is better than Lou's than why did Geno start Lou last year as freshman (?) even though Gabby had a year more experience, is great defensively and arguably one of the most athletically gifted players in WCBB. I know people here will disagree but Lou is a better passer too, although Gabby is obviously very good and leads with assists. Lou's decisions result in less turnovers (and she also in-bounds) and her passes are almost always on the money, many times the ball is in her hand for a split second as she sees the pass before the play has fully developed.

Gabby is great don't get me wrong but everyone dismissing other players like its a no brainier for NPOY is a bit ridiculous. I think DNPOY makes a ton of sense with being included in the running of NPOY. I'll finish on the way I finished the other post, with the game on the line who do you want to give the ball to in order to win the game??? Lou, Plum, or Gabby? I'll take maybe even Pheese (she has many offense moves in post, consistently hit mid-range, shoot deep when open, fade away using glass, is 65% from field.... plus a great rebounder and good defender.)

Reaction Score
The problem is she may not be noticed by the public and the media, but when opposing coaches watch the film, she's the one that just jumps off the screen. Almost literally. She's the one they have to scheme against.

They have to prepare for her but I doubt they spend more time on her than Lou... You heard other coaches even say they were surprised (ND) because they planned against the other players. Gabby is actually hard to plan for because her value is done mostly ad-hoc during the game. What I mean is they can say do not leave Lou open from even 3 feet outside the arc, watch her move off screen to the foul line for quick jumper, watch if you press her she will drive to the rim but be aware because she can pull up and hit the mid-range jumper too, etc... I think Gabby is awesome and worthy of our praise but we are getting caught up in her physical gifts and looking past the rest of Lou's and Pheese's total game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If Gabby's overall game is better than Lou's than why did Geno start Lou last year as freshman (?) even though Gabby had a year more experience, is great defensively and arguably one of the most athletically gifted players in WCBB.

Different needs. Last year vs this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom