G David Beatty | Page 3 | The Boneyard

G David Beatty

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Despite what Oz keeps saying, if Ham D wanted to be a husky he'd like be a husky by now. I think the slew of 2017 SG offers we have given out this month alone indicate the staff is preparing to move on.

Reaction Score
Despite what Oz keeps saying, if Ham D wanted to be a husky he'd like be a husky by now. I think the slew of 2017 SG offers we have given out this month alone indicate the staff is preparing to move on.
I'd say it's more of keeping our options open rather than moving on. You don't just move on from a kid like Diallo if he is still listing us, recruiting is fluid, remember?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Chicken little.

Try this one: We have at least 5 open scholarships next year and it's probably smart to get as many quality players as you can early in the process. Thus Diallo's commitment isn't a make-or-break thing, but more the type of get that can jump us from a top 10 recruiting class to top 5.

I still maintain that Diallo is more important for our future NBA presence than for our chances of winning No. 5.

Reaction Score
10o%, he's not going to UConn to play in the AAC

M

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Chicken little.

Try this one: We have at least 5 open scholarships next year and it's probably smart to get as many quality players as you can early in the process. Thus Diallo's commitment isn't a make-or-break thing, but more the type of get that can jump us from a top 10 recruiting class to top 5.

I still maintain that Diallo is more important for our future NBA presence than for our chances of winning No. 5.
I agree with you 100% on the last part, we need to get our title as an "NBA factory" back, it became a recruiting pitch on its own during the later JC days.

As for the scholarships yes we have 5, but we are also losing Brimah, our only reliable and proven big in an already weak front court. As such I anticipate those 5 spots to be heavily weighted towards the front court in that 2017 class. The last two spots being for a true point guard (MAL being the target here), and a 2 to replace Purvis and add depth (Diallo, LW, Beatty, Harvey). I'd be surprised if we brought in two non-handling SGs.

I think ultimately Diallo is the top priority but it will be an uphill battle, I've been following his recruitment for a while and it seems like the favorable UConn talk has often come from sources outside of Diallo himself. Hope we land him though, and I think our close proximity to him and Mamadou being in his ear are the best weapons we have. I think this season's success will be a big factor in Diallo's decision if he chooses to delay his commitment date, and success doesn't necessarily mean a deep run, just a cohesive team that functions and shows good promise for the 2017 season (not one like 2015).

BUConn10

Reaction Score
I'd say it's more of keeping our options open rather than moving on. You don't just move on from a kid like Diallo if he is still listing us, recruiting is fluid, remember?
'Move on' was a poor choice of wording. "Prepare for a plan B" is more appropriate you're right. The thing is though, two of the others recruiting Diallo are the types that don't really ever have "plan B's" because they rarely need them.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
'Move on' was a poor choice of wording. "Prepare for a plan B" is more appropriate your right. The thing is though, two of the others recruiting Diallo are the types that don't really have "plan B's" because they rarely need them.
Both of yours are good posts, but I still think you're offering an ungenerous take on the Diallo situation for a couple of reasons:

1. If a local-ish player like Beatty or Randolph comes onto the scene out of nowhere, and we can be one of the first big schools to offer, that's just smart business
2. If a 5-star wing like DJ Harvey has serious interest in us (and he certainly seems to), of course we're going to go hard after him. There's been no time in program history when we've been able to say "naw" to a top 25 recruit

So I think we'd have been offering these guys no matter what -- even if Diallo had already committed, KO would find room (and that's without factoring in the harsh lesson of the Ali decommit).

Re: Big men, I'm not sure I agree that we'll need to load up. Going into the 2017-18 season we'd likely have Enoch, Durham & Diarra who are all 4/5s, and Jackson who's a 3/4. I suspect we'll try to add Richards (a pure 5) and someone like Deng Gak or Makhtar Gueye, a DeAndre-type stretch 4 who can guard 1-thru-4 and protect the rim (obviously they'll need much more development, but those are the raw tools). That's a pretty loaded front court

If that happens, and we land Beatty & MAL, that'd still leave us one spot for Harvey or Hamidou. And if both want to commit... I'm certain KO could find a way. Gak/Gueye aren't exactly essential gets given the potential roster make-up.

Reaction Score
... If that happens, and we land Beatty & MAL, that'd still leave us one spot for Harvey or Hamidou. And if both want to commit... I'm certain KO could find a way. Gak/Gueye aren't exactly essential gets given the potential roster make-up.

A backcourt of Adams, Gilbert, Vital, Beatty, MAL and Harvey/Hamidou just doesn't seem likely in my mind. I understand that Harvey and Diallo are 5* recruits and likely start wherever they go, however, I just don't see a commitment from more than 1 of MAL/Hamidou/Harvey if we land Beatty, or any other SG for that matter.

Reaction Score
A backcourt of Adams, Gilbert, Vital, Beatty, MAL and Harvey/Hamidou just doesn't seem likely in my mind. I understand that Harvey and Diallo are 5* recruits and likely start wherever they go, however, I just don't see a commitment from more than 1 of MAL/Hamidou/Harvey if we land Beatty, or any other SG for that matter.
Isnt harvey a wing?

Reaction Score

Yeah if we get Beatty, I'm pretty sure we won't be getting both MAL and Diallo. Tbh I'll take MAL over Diallo in the long run.

Reaction Score
We have five open scholarships at the moment for 2017 and no commitments. Beatty is a 4* though it appears largely unranked although 247 composite has him at 126 I think. He can score, is a willing passer and has some size at 6-3. If he decides to come here you celebrate and take him happily. The more knowledgeable recruiting guys like @husky99, @tcf15, @Zionn and @Huskyforlife among several others can correct me if I am wrong but I don't think his commitment would stop either Diallo or MAL from coming here in and of itself. Diallo probably considers himself a one and done and may not be coming here anyway. MAL and Beatty could easily coexist on the same team. Diallo would be facing much stiffer competition for minutes at Kentucky or Duke who will be stocked with 5* players at all positions. I think you take the bird in the hand happily in this case if we are lucky enough to get a commitment from him.

Reaction Score
We have five open scholarships at the moment for 2017 and no commitments. Beatty is a 4* though it appears largely unranked although 247 composite has him at 126 I think. He can score, is a willing passer and has some size at 6-3. If he decides to come here you celebrate and take him happily. The more knowledgeable recruiting guys like @husky99, @tcf15, @Zionn and @Huskyforlife among several others can correct me if I am wrong but I don't think his commitment would stop either Diallo or MAL from coming here in and of itself. Diallo probably considers himself a one and done and may not be coming here anyway. MAL and Beatty could easily coexist on the same team. Diallo would be facing much stiffer competition for minutes at Kentucky or Duke who will be stocked with 5* players at all positions. I think you take the bird in the hand happily in this case if we are lucky enough to get a commitment from him.

This post by 80shusky captures my thoughts 100%. If a player is good enough to be thinking about the NBA then they have to be confident enough to face the competition at UConn from 3-4 other quality guards for playing time. Adams, Gilbert, Vital, Beatty, is a solid group even if we don't get a 5th quality guard. I have seen Beatty as high as #72 but forget which listing. Add MAL, as a point, and/or either Diallo or DJ Harvey to play wing in small ball or 2 guard when you want to play big. Getting 2 of these 3 players is probably too much to wish for but any 1 of the 3 with Larrier and Jackson in the fold gives us a whole lot at the 1-3 positions.

Reaction Score
The Beatty rating was from 247 where Beatty is now #75 and MAL is #66.

Reaction Score
If Beatty committed it would only be a good thing for Diallo. These kids love to play with talent. Minutes won't be a problem for him, no matter who is in the backcourt.

Let's just hope Diallo is more of a Drummond than a Kentucky showcase. Can't blame him if he goes the latter though, I would seriously consider if I was a one and done talent.

Reaction Score
Nope - the recent courtside films mixtapes of him have me sold. Kind of reminds me of bruce brown (not as high-flying though).
Definitely has a tighter handle than Brown did IMO. Brown will be a better finisher, though. Beatty fits the mold as a 2 guard in a 2 PG offense, is athletic and should have a reliable jumper as an upperclassman. I'm sold too.

Reaction Score
Never was insinuating I didn't want the kid. Take talent when you can get it, we can't sit back and wait for the hope of others committing. Especially liked hearing he was a late riser ala Jalen Adams. Just was curious on the outlook of MAL/Hamidou barring a commitment from Beatty, that's all.

Reaction Score
Definitely has a tighter handle than Brown did IMO. Brown will be a better finisher, though. Beatty fits the mold as a 2 guard in a 2 PG offense, is athletic and should have a reliable jumper as an upperclassman. I'm sold too.

This kid does a nice job of finishing in traffic also it seems. Solid body, real nice stroke and good size - whats not to like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom