G David Beatty | Page 4 | The Boneyard

G David Beatty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Probably the Philly connection that's influencing my opinion but he reminds me of Waiters

Reaction Score
Probably the Philly connection that's influencing my opinion but he reminds me of Waiters
Another poster I think made this comparison and I can see it also. I don't think it is just the Philly thing though it may be strengthening the comparison. Here is a Waiters Vid just for fun. They do have a similar body style/physique in a sense and they drive through traffic and contact very similarly. Maybe I'm just looking into it too much but the comparison is pretty good.

Reaction Score
Another poster I think made this comparison and I can see it also. I don't think it is just the Philly thing though it may be strengthening the comparison. Here is a Waiters Vid just for fun. They do have a similar body style/physique in a sense and they drive through traffic and contact very similarly. Maybe I'm just looking into it too much but the comparison is pretty good.

Twas me! Thanks for enhancing my point.

Reaction Score
Twas me! Thanks for enhancing my point.
Actually you should thank @aceboon he is the one who independently saw what you saw. I just stole both of your ideas and Googled a video thinking that you might have had something there. And I think you did!

Reaction Score
But it also seems HamiD is not DB either because one can shoot the ball. ;)
Looking at Beatty's stroke, I wouldn't expect him to be a good 3 point shooter right away. It's not terrible looking, but it has a bit of a hitch. He's a strong and athletic kid who's game is probably best when he's attacking the paint.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
But it also seems HamiD is not DB either because one can shoot the ball. ;)
As exciting a player as Hamidou is, his weak outside shooting could really limit his effectiveness if it does not improve a lot. I cannot think of a lot of players who have come through who have dramatically improved their shooting if not pretty good to start with. Kemba from soph to junior year stands out as the major exception. Others?

Reaction Score
As exciting a player as Hamidou is, his weak outside shooting could really limit his effectiveness if it does not improve a lot. I cannot think of a lot of players who have come through who have dramatically improved their shooting if not pretty good to start with. Kemba from soph to junior year stands out as the major exception. Others?

Giffey?

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Looking at Beatty's stroke, I wouldn't expect him to be a good 3 point shooter right away. It's not terrible looking, but it has a bit of a hitch. He's a strong and athletic kid who's game is probably best when he's attacking the paint.
He's got that Purvis looking form. With a little reformation it can turn into a good stroke, the foundation is there. Me likey his game

caw

Reaction Score

It's kind of hard to judge what you mean by pretty good to start with? Although you are discussing Diallo, who is likely a one and done, so the data isn't totally useful, players have seen some pretty good improvement after adjusting to Ollies system.

Daniels went from 24% on 50(JC) attempts, to 31% on 68 to 42% on 120.
Napier went from 33% on 141(JC), to 36% on 166(JC), to 40% on 171, to 41% on 215.
Giffey went from 32% on 34(JC), to 43% on 21(JC), to 29% on 34, to 48% on 120.
Boatright went from 38% on 69(JC), to 33% on 129, to 38% on 117, to 41% on 209.
Calhoun went from 32% on 134, to 24% on 79*, to 34% on 76*, to 39% on 72.
Purvis went from from 39% on 78 @ NCSt, to 36% on 150, to 39% on 182.

Hamilton is probably the only example of a major player not to improve when healthy and with multiple years under Ollie. I think a lot of it is shot selection and Ollie/staff instructing the kids on what is a good shot to take but I think they also do a good job of working on confidence and mechanics as shown by the FT shooting numbers, which I don't have time to run.

Marked (JC) next to those years played under Calhoun.

It will be interesting to see if the trend continues with Purvis and Adams this year. I could see both increasing number of attempts and percentages.

Reaction Score
I heard mid summer a few days ago but easily could be sooner from another source
Since today is 1st day of summer, let the countdown begin......T - 45 days. And we are holding you to it!!

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Pretty good article on Beatty from TOS.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Pretty good article on Beatty from TOS.

Kids saying Ollie is a "great man off the court" one after another after their visits without fail really says a lot about our head coach. I'm trying to remove myself from a UConn fan's point of view but I legitimately don't think any other coach has all the players who visit him say the same, oddly specific thing about him when asked.

He's a magnet to a certain breed of player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom