From Blauds: Michigan closing in on Manuel as AD | Page 3 | The Boneyard

From Blauds: Michigan closing in on Manuel as AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
At the risk of sounding like Forrest Gump, I actually had a great one-on-one conversation with Warde in the alumni gathering place the morning of the Bowl Game. I raised the Michigan rumor and told him how we'd love to have him stay, but frankly if his alma mater called--and it's Michigan--he'd have to go. He gave me the expected shrug, saying that while that rumor is clearly out there, he also loves it where he is. I laughed and said lets be real. If they ask, you have to go, but the good news is that when you go--you can be an advocate for our inclusion in the P-5 and be a supportive ally we can count on. He smiled.

I love Warde but frankly its Susan Herbst we really need to keep. My fear is that if a "Michigan type" presidency opened and they courted her, she'd also be on her way. That's the way life works. You may remember what TJ Weist told me about Susan when my wife and I ran into him at dinner in Boston's North End two summers ago. He ticked off all the many schools he went to or coached at and said she's far and away the most talented and impressive President he's ever been around.

So wish Warde success at Michigan, but pray that Susan stays at UConn!

I completely agree about Herbst. She seems like she knows what she's doing and a real asset to your university.

BTW - Weist was just hired as the WR coach down at UCF.

Reaction Score
Call it pure speculation, but someone within the athletic program told me that Jim Penders, baseball coach at UConn, might one day take over the reigns as AD. Not sure about Pender's credentials, but you never know

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Are we in the ACC, the B1G?

So, exactly what has Herbst done other than spend tax payer money?

Reaction Score
Every job can be filled with someone else, and I am not at all surprised that he would leave at this crucial time. At Michigan he will have no worries whatsoever. They are entrenched and established. No one will mess with them. He will actually have a much easier job there.

Reaction Score
Hey props to Warde if he gets that job. That would be a real "dream job" unlike some others who claim "dream job";)

Seriously though, Sue was right. Rockstar. Buffalo to UConn to Michigan.

N

Nutmeg

Are we in the ACC, the B1G?

So, exactly what has Herbst done other than spend tax payer money?
You obviously haven't been paying attention.
Can I get help here? Was that the most idiotic post in Boneyard history, the most assinine or both?
Clearly it's neck and neck. I'll go with both!

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Can I get help here? Was that the most idiotic post in Boneyard history, the most assinine or both?
Not sure how that guy has over 1,000 likes. Never seen him post anything within reason or positive. Cesspool I suppose

Reaction Score
internet stupid.JPG

Reaction Score

I'd go with both -- essentially they are synonyms.

as·i·nine
ˈasəˌnīn/
adjective
  1. extremely stupid or foolish.
    "Lydia ignored his asinine remark"
    synonyms: stupid, foolish, brainless, mindless, senseless, idiotic, imbecilic,ridiculous, ludicrous, absurd, nonsensical, fatuous, silly, inane, witless,empty-headed;
    informalhalfwitted, dimwitted, dumb, moronic
    "an asinine stunt"
id·i·ot·ic
ˌidēˈädik/
adjective
informal
  1. very stupid.
    "I was able to hum its idiotic theme tune"
    synonyms: stupid, silly, foolish, witless, brainless, mindless, thoughtless,unintelligent;
    imprudent, unwise, ill-advised, ill-considered, half-baked,harebrained, foolhardy;
    absurd, senseless, pointless, nonsensical, inane,fatuous, ridiculous;
    informaldumb, dim, dimwitted, halfwitted, dopey, pea-brained, wooden-headed, thickheaded, dumb-ass
    "her latest comedy is fanciful without being idiotic"

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Yeah, because that's like the only her job involves.
Its in the running for sure.

Are we in the ACC? Are we in the BiG?

Louisville is in the ACC.
Rutgers is in the B1G.

This is a sports site. What relevance does anything else she does good or bad matter if she can not deliver UConn to a good league. This is a sports site.
If UConn doesn't get into a real league, this board will disappear, Ollie will move on and I guess you guys can watch home videos of the Herbst family reunions.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Rutgers is in the B1G.

This is a sports site. What relevance does anything else she does good or bad matter if she can not deliver UConn to a good league. This is a sports site.
If UConn doesn't get into a real league, this board will disappear, Ollie will move on and I guess you guys can watch home videos of the Herbst family reunions.

Do you know what a university is?

Reaction Score

Rutgers is in the B1G.

Just great stuff here, man.

It's truly a special day on The Boneyard.

Reaction Score

Rutgers is in the B1G.

We are proud to be in the American where at least we know we're free.

dayooper

Reaction Score

Rutgers is in the B1G.

Wow, I though your original post was sarcasm.

The needs of the sports fan doesn't out weight the needs of the university. UConn is not just a sports team. They are a great university with aspirations to become a better one. Being a fan of a great university means you have to understand that your desires for athletics may not just be as important as the academic wing. When the former outlasts the latter, bad stuff happens.

Because this is such an outrageous post, I'm still think this is either sarcasm or trolling. The narcissism of this train of thought is a little more than my mind can bear.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Do you know what a university is?

Are people this delusional?
This is a basketball website. It is about winning basketball games.
The UConn basketball program belongs to a lousy league.
If Kevin Ollie leaves the team at the end of the year, it doesn't matter how much tax payer money is spent on other facets of the university. We will lose basketball games. Our program will fall back to mediocre.
How many people in the state follow YALE basketball? Should we stop cheering for UConn and cheer for Yale because they have better academics.
Does anyone imagine that the UConn team is loaded with Rhodes Scholars.
Our football program is poor
If we had a top 25 football team with 50,000 season ticket holders we would be in the B1G.
We would be in the ACC.
The only reason people are on this website is because Jim Calhoun turned a mediocre program into a national program.
If Herbst fails to get us into a league that allows this program to flourish, she has failed the basketball fans. Period. Stop. Finish.
This is about winning basketball games.

Reaction Score
If Kevin Ollie leaves the team at the end of the year, it doesn't matter how much tax payer money is spent on other facets of the university. We will lose basketball games. Our program will fall back to mediocre.
How many people in the state follow YALE basketball? Should we stop cheering for UConn and cheer for Yale because they have better academics.
If we had a top 25 football team with 50,000 season ticket holders we would be in the B1G.
We would be in the ACC.

The only reason people are on this website is because Jim Calhoun turned a mediocre program into a national program.
If Herbst fails to get us into a league that allows this program to flourish, she has failed the basketball fans. Period. Stop. Finish.

How could we be in both?
How many conferences could we join with a top 10 team? What about top 25, but with 60,000 season ticket holders?
If we have a top 4 team and make the playoffs, could we play against ourselves?

dayooper

Reaction Score
We would be in the ACC.

So, because this is a basketball site, the university president, who runs all facets of the university, is doing a poor job because you aren't in a p5 league?

I'll give you a little piece of information: without the university, there would be no UConn basketball team to root for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom