From Blauds: Michigan closing in on Manuel as AD | Page 2 | The Boneyard

From Blauds: Michigan closing in on Manuel as AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If Tim Pernetti can deliver that hot pile of garbage in New Jersey to the B1G, he could work here too.
According to a recent thread the groundwork laid way before Pernetti's tenure, when Rutgers was worse than garbage (primeval ooze?).
I know that AD's like Tom Jurich like to pound their chest and take credit for everything that happens in Conference Realignment, but I truly think their roles have been overstated.
This x100.

I'm sure Pernetti has contacts in the B1G that would be useful. Hope he didn't burn bridges with Barchi and Rutgers people - UConn would need them, Maryland and a lotta other schools to be supportive. Likely most of his contacts are in sports media. His resume is actually quite light in the college administration area. I think we could find someone with similar connections and a better background related to operations, fundraising, project management...

Reaction Score
Of course he is. Because timing always seems to work out in our favor.

Reaction Score
Anyone who has the smell of that Rutgers dumpster fire on them should not be on any list to work for UConn. :eek: I mean, if the person even knows where Rutgers is located, scratch him off the list.

Reaction Score
It will take months to hire a search committee (you know that's coming) to find a replacement

I'd be absolutely floored if it takes more than the time it takes to clear state employment posting/hiring requirements. SH has had ample notice and doesn't seem like the type to procrastinate. Always have a working list in the drawer/protected hard drive.

... and Blauds was pimping Boo Corrigan for the BC job back in 2012.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If true, this couldn't come at a worse time for UConn in terms of CR. I'm almost (ALMOST) laughing at the potential kick in the sack that this would result in.
The worst was actually Lew Perkins bailing on us as the Big East was first breaking up. He headed for the hills the second the dam broke. And then our shining knight Jeff Hathaway took over- that is 10x times worse than this!!

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
You all realize that Susan and co have probably known he was leaving for months. There is 100% a replacement locked and loaded. The Tranghese hire has some smoke to it now.

I for one love Warde going to Michigan. Perhaps the biggest alumni network in the B1G, now has an AD whose an advocate for us joining the conference (I believe so at least, met with him once on this).

Now let's start speculating who the replacement is!! I'd rather an assistant from the P5 than anything else.

Reaction Score
I think Michigan hiring a UCONN AD gives UCONN more cred, keeps UCONN in the news, and allows Warde an opportunity to pull for UCONN from the inside. The more UCONN is linked in any way whatsoever to the B1G, the better.

Boo Corrigan from LinkedIn:
Army, Duke, ND, Navy, Corrigan Sports Enterprises, FSU.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have softened on this, but I just don't see where Manuel has been this great AD. I don't give him any credit for the bball teams or Field Hockey championships for example. I just don't think he did anything special that any other $500k/year person couldn't do and when he had a chance with the ACC he go worked by Ville and Jurich. It was amateur hour.

Also, he was supposed to have strong ties with the BCU AD, helping us with the ACC and when the ACC expanded BCU was strongly against adding UConn too.

He has grown on me recently, I would be fine with him staying, I just don't see him as this dynamic leader others seem to.
In 18 months he raised enough $$ to go from planning to completion for the Champion's Center...something Hathaway couldn't do in 8 yrs...he was able to get a $8 Million donation for the Morrone stadium rebuild. He was a big part of the hockey upgrade to HE.....rebuilt the compliance office after Hathaway let it go vacant, hired some pretty good coaches...over saw a APR improvement. As for getting out worked by Jurich...Jurich can say all he wants about trumping UConn CR stuff is done at the President level and Louisville was pushed on the ACC by FSU & Clemson who were threatening to leave for the B-12. His ties with Brad Bates got a football series renewed that has been dormant for over 10 years. BC is against adding UConn because the President of BC; Fr Harrington was personally named in the lawsuit that has caused all the bad blood for UConn.

Reaction Score
In 18 months he raised enough $$ to go from planning to completion for the Champion's Center...something Hathaway couldn't do in 8 yrs...he was able to get a $8 Million donation for the Morrone stadium rebuild. He was a big part of the hockey upgrade to HE.....rebuilt the compliance office after Hathaway let it go vacant, hired some pretty good coaches...over saw a APR improvement. As for getting out worked by Jurich...Jurich can say all he wants about trumping UConn CR stuff is done at the President level and Louisville was pushed on the ACC by FSU & Clemson who were threatening to leave for the B-12. His ties with Brad Bates got a football series renewed that has been dormant for over 10 years. BC is against adding UConn because the President of BC; Fr Harrington was personally named in the lawsuit that has caused all the bad blood for UConn.

It's not worth it, man.

Warde could convince every single UConn NBA Alum to donate $1 Million to the athletic program and people would be like, "We're still in The American, what a failure this guy is."

Reaction Score
We all figured this would be the case, so congrats to him if this turns out to be true. As others have mentioned, Herbst won't be caught by surprise and you have to believe she's got a very short list of qualified replacements lined up. I'd love it if WM stayed as IMO he's been great for UCONN, but think we'll be okay should he go.

Reaction Score
It's not worth it, man.

Warde could convince every single UConn NBA Alum to donate $1 Million to the athletic program and people would be like, "We're still in The American, what a failure this guy is."

If he could get people to stop typing UCONN all the time, I'd build a shrine to him.

Reaction Score
That's actually one thing UConn hasn't done well, not a Warde thing, but why don't we get big donations like other places, I never understood that. Maybe they have, just not published like other ones.

You're probably correct re: ACC and Louisville timing thing with FSU & Clemson. I just will always have the whole "we're monitoring the situation" quote while he watches some meaningless women's basketball preseason tourney from the Carribean.

If this B12 expansion doesn't occur or it does or doesn't without UConn hopefully he can be a strong voice, at maybe the most influential B1G school for us.

I like the guy a lot, wish him the best if he goes to UM.

It's not worth it, man.

Reaction Score

So I assume you would support Hathaway to replace Warde?

Reaction Score
That's actually one thing UConn hasn't done well, not a Warde thing, but why don't we get big donations like other places, I never understood that. Maybe they have, just not published like other ones.

You're probably correct re: ACC and Louisville timing thing with FSU & Clemson. I just will always have the whole "we're monitoring the situation" quote while he watches some meaningless women's basketball preseason tourney from the Carribean.

If this B12 expansion doesn't occur or it does or doesn't without UConn hopefully he can be a strong voice, at maybe the most influential B1G school for us.

I like the guy a lot, wish him the best if he goes to UM.

Who do you think Robert Burton is? Hint...He didn't work at Whitney Dining Hall.

Reaction Score
Got a possible name for a new UConn AD.

Oliver Luck. His name surfaced when Texas was looking for an AD. He is an executive with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) in charge of the organization's regulatory functions. Prior to that, he was Director of Intercollegiate Athletes at West Virginia University. Luck is a retired American football player who spent five seasons in the National Football League (NFL) as a quarterback for the Houston Oilers.

Reaction Score
At the risk of sounding like Forrest Gump, I actually had a great one-on-one conversation with Warde in the alumni gathering place the morning of the Bowl Game. I raised the Michigan rumor and told him how we'd love to have him stay, but frankly if his alma mater called--and it's Michigan--he'd have to go. He gave me the expected shrug, saying that while that rumor is clearly out there, he also loves it where he is. I laughed and said lets be real. If they ask, you have to go, but the good news is that when you go--you can be an advocate for our inclusion in the P-5 and be a supportive ally we can count on. He smiled.

I love Warde but frankly its Susan Herbst we really need to keep. My fear is that if a "Michigan type" presidency opened and they courted her, she'd also be on her way. That's the way life works. You may remember what TJ Weist told me about Susan when my wife and I ran into him at dinner in Boston's North End two summers ago. He ticked off all the many schools he went to or coached at and said she's far and away the most talented and impressive President he's ever been around.

So wish Warde success at Michigan, but pray that Susan stays at UConn!

Reaction Score
If he could get people to stop typing UCONN all the time, I'd build a shrine to him.
Count me in as one of the ones who were confused during the rebranding they did a little while back.

Reaction Score
saying the hoops players like Melo donated $3m to Cuse, one of the MSU players (not Magic) donated $5m I recall.

No big deal. Just don't hear those same ones, but that was more important when they were trying to get funding for practice facility.

Who do you think Robert Burton is? Hint...He didn't work at Whitney Dining Hall.

Reaction Score
saying the hoops players like Melo donated $3m to Cuse, one of the MSU players (not Magic) donated $5m I recall.

No big deal. Just don't hear those same ones, but that was more important when they were trying to get funding for practice facility.

Former UConn soccer player Tony Rizza, senior managing director of Columbus Circle Investors, donated $5 million for Morrone Stadium and Rizza Family Soccer Complex.

That's pretty solid.

I know a lot of UConn players have donated back to the CT community, like Ray Allen donated a computer lab to a Hartford school, but trying to find out who donated back to the athletic program or University.

Reaction Score
I know a lot of UConn players have donated back to the CT community... but trying to find out who donated back to the athletic program or University.

UConn Foundation folks surprisingly told me they've purposely stayed away from mass solicititation from our pro athletes in the past! I suggested they collar some of the more influential "UConn pros" to lead a fundraising effort among them and even mentioned some names. The thrust for a bigger endowment will likely lead to a lot of new thinking about fundraising sources.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Former UConn soccer player Tony Rizza, senior managing director of Columbus Circle Investors, donated $5 million for Morrone Stadium and Rizza Family Soccer Complex.

That's pretty solid.

I know a lot of UConn players have donated back to the CT community, like Ray Allen donated a computer lab to a Hartford school, but trying to find out who donated back to the athletic program or University.
It was $8M, provided that UConn obtained $5M in matching contributions.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Sounded more like a guess on Blauds part.

Hmmmmm . . . It may be guess his part, but many with inside connections to UM think he will be the choice. They haven't come out and said its him, but that's the feeling coming fromAnn Arbor. Interim AD Jim Hackett is working on an extension to Harbaugh's contract and increasing the size of the student section for basketball games. To me, those were the last things he wanted to finish before he rode off into the sunset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom