Fox just rubbed salt in the wounds | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Fox just rubbed salt in the wounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Using Tom Brady as a measuring point seems like a real fair and sensible thing to do... Regardless do you realize how good of a college QB you have to be to even be drafted that late? Pretty damn good and that's about 10000000000x harder when playing at UConn rather than Michigan

I agree, really good. But, he went from a sixth round back up to Drew Bledsoe to arguably the best QB of all time! That's pretty amazing! The man is a flat out winner despite his athletic limitations. I am hoping Donovan Williams advances to amaze all of us UCONN fans.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Tom Brady is in no way related in any fashion to DW.

Stating that DW had a terrible 2016 is not an indictment of his future.

We all wish for the best - as for how probable that outcome is, no one knows, but the available book of work isn't great. Here's hoping he develops... and quickly.

Reaction Score
Tom Brady is in no way related in any fashion to DW.

Stating that DW had a terrible 2016 is not an indictment of his future.

We all wish for the best - as for how probable that outcome is, no one knows, but the available book of work isn't great. Here's hoping he develops... and quickly.

Mike, you need to review the video tape so to speak. If you go back many of the comments were quite critical and showed no confidence in his future. I am sure that many on the Boneyard wish for the best. However, as we all know this place can go sour quicker than a quart of milk on a sidewalk in Arizona in August.

Reaction Score
My point in mentioning Brady was more his about his assent to where he is today. Nobody expected that he could possibly become the greatest quarterback of all time. Many on the Boneyard have written Donovan Williams off after his 3 game rookie start. Brady was a reluctant 6th round draft choice of the Pats. Slower than molasses in January he ran over a 6.0 in the 40. I am hoping we have a great QB in Storrs the next 3 years!

https://www.quora.com/Why-was-Tom-Brady-drafted-so-low

I know the story. Just thought Brady was a bad example to support your argument, which I agree with. The book on D-Will may have many chapters left. Judging him in totality based on what we saw is not wise. But it is fair to make both points:
1) He looked totally unprepared
2) He may well have a great career at UConn

No harm in criticism with context.

Reaction Score
I know the story. Just thought Brady was a bad example to support your argument, which I agree with. The book on D-Will may have many chapters left. Judging him in totality based on what we saw is not wise. But it is fair to make both points:
1) He looked totally unprepared
2) He may well have a great career at UConn

No harm in criticism with context.

Carl really thrives off taking posts out of context. I'm not accusing you of anything, but for the record, I never said 1) shouldn't look unprepared or 2) wouldn't have a great career.

He's a true freshman, I didn't expect him to be ready to come in and be a game changer.

He could end up being one of the best QBs in the country, but there's nothing on tape to suggest he is anything but a very long way away from becoming that. That's an opinion, but it's backed up by fact. All Carl does is throw out Hall of Famers and Heisman award winners while accusing people critical of the decision to play Williams of being critical of Williams himself.

Reaction Score
Carl really thrives off taking posts out of context. I'm not accusing you of anything, but for the record, I never said 1) shouldn't look unprepared or 2) wouldn't have a great career.

He's a true freshman, I didn't expect him to be ready to come in and be a game changer.

He could end up being one of the best QBs in the country, but there's nothing on tape to suggest he is anything but a very long way away from becoming that. That's an opinion, but it's backed up by fact. All Carl does is throw out Hall of Famers and Heisman award winners while accusing people critical of the decision to play Williams of being critical of Williams himself.

Many on the Boneyard are overly negative and critical (which is acceptable to a point due to a horrible 6 yr stretch) but at the same times speaking out of both sides of their mouths! See thread "Is Williams really the answer". If that is not condescending verbiage then I don't know what is. In regards to Williams, there is zero trust in Bob Diaco's offensive player assessment. So if the head coach of UCONN says that DW has an upside as much as any player at his position in the country, the standard Boneyard response characterizes that as it must not be true because Diaco is a terrible coach and has no clue. My observation is most are trashing Williams based on the first three freshmen starts ( which most don't believe should have happened) but at the same time kind of hedging their remarks in the event they are wrong and DW turns into a star. Then they would have to admit they were wrong and say they jumped the gun on the kid. I'm not saying he will be great for sure but do like the tangibles and am taking a wait and see approach. However, I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited about his future! I stand by my analogy of Brady because obviously if NFL coaches knew in advance how good he was going to be someday, he wouldn't have been a 6th round draft choice. The Pats obviously saw some potential which has paid off beyond measure.

Video tape was not used as a literal term, it was intended for Mike to review what has actually been said about Williams, most of which has not been flattering in any way shape or form. Williams and his parents would agree with me.

Reaction Score
Regarding DW the jury has obviously still not even convened yet. A decision was made to give up on the season and DW was thrown in the to focus his mind on next season. No doubt they were impressed with his athleticism to draw the conclusion that he could be the next quarterback. Well, he appeared lost and not particularly athletic. But that does not mean without some work and acclimatization he could be great. If a juco qb does not show up that blows their socks off (gotta think that is plan A), then DW is it. Right now he is probably in overdrive preparing for next year now that exams are over.

Reaction Score
Many on the Boneyard are overly negative and critical (which is acceptable to a point due to a horrible 6 yr stretch) but at the same times speaking out of both sides of their mouths! See thread "Is Williams really the answer". If that is not condescending verbiage then I don't know what is. In regards to Williams, there is zero trust in Bob Diaco's offensive player assessment. So if the head coach of UCONN says that DW has an upside as much as any player at his position in the country, the standard Boneyard response characterizes that as it must not be true because Diaco is a terrible coach and has no clue. My observation is most are trashing Williams based on the first three freshmen starts ( which most don't believe should have happened) but at the same time kind of hedging their remarks in the event they are wrong and DW turns into a star. Then they would have to admit they were wrong and say they jumped the gun on the kid. I'm not saying he will be great for sure but do like the tangibles and am taking a wait and see approach. However, I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited about his future! I stand by my analogy of Brady because obviously if NFL coaches knew in advance how good he was going to be someday, he wouldn't have been a 6th round draft choice. The Pats obviously saw some potential which has paid off beyond measure.

Video tape was not used as a literal term, it was intended for Mike to review what has actually been said about Williams, most of which has not been flattering in any way shape or form. Williams and his parents would agree with me.

The problem with what you are saying is that it is a proven fact that Diaco is A) a known liar, B) a terrible coach, and C) someone who has proven to have no clue regarding developing or managing anything related to the quarterback position. So viewing things through that filter, how can you take any comments he has made about Williams as being indicative of any future potential? I hope the kid develops into an All American and eventually makes it to The NFL, but what have you witnessed with your own eyes on the field this year or the last two leads you to believe that this is even remotely possible under this coaching staff?

Reaction Score
The problem with what you are saying is that it is a proven fact that Diaco is A) a known liar, B) a terrible coach, and C) someone who has proven to have no clue regarding developing or managing anything related to the quarterback position. So viewing things through that filter, how can you take any comments he has made about Williams as being indicative of any future potential? I hope the kid develops into an All American and eventually makes it to The NFL, but what have you witnessed with your own eyes on the field this year or the last two leads you to believe that this is even remotely possible under this coaching staff?

Worst, ugliest football caused primarily by inept, impotent offense. The wheels came off. It was a total melt down. Diaco hired the wrong OC and admitted the train wreck was on him. Worst offense in the FBS! That's why the OC hire is so so important. Diaco will get a pass due to contact and no question this will be a make or break year. Having said that he's made these lofty predictions in the past about certain players and been right. Even if he's 75% right on DW that's pretty good.

Reaction Score
He admits it after the season. During the season, it was everyone else's fault. him.

We could have hired so many other reasonable head coaches with experience and Warde hires this shameless buffoon. Mind blowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom