Fox just rubbed salt in the wounds | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fox just rubbed salt in the wounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Memories.... circa 2013
520a316201197.image.jpg

Ecke, Cochran, Whitmer, Lagow, Taylor, Boyle
Say what you will about P, but the fact he brought in Whitmer followed by Cochran and the other 3 guys shows he understood how important the position was. The way Diaco has recruited the position is just another example of how bad he is. One qb recruit, switched positions, one had his RS burned with 3 games left. Awarded a walk on a scholarship.

Next year is shaping up to be so much fun.

Reaction Score
It's so weird how other schools have quarterbacks. Then they keep adding more quarterbacks. Then a quarterback graduates and then the next quarterback plays.

We turn our quarterbacks over more often than 7-11 swaps out the Twinkies.
Which is why we need to cough some $$$ on coaches that know what they r doing already.
I'd rather the AD Dept be up front and honest with us and say what we really are and not boast about aspirations of being something we're not. If all we will ever be is G5 then so be it. Let's be the best G5 squad in the country or at least aspire to be.
With all the secrecy with the last minute letting us know who the WTF hires are just makes it worse and worse to be a fan.
In case they forgot, the state of Connecticut is in New England, the southern portion more so, which is a results based area, in a short period of time. Don't expect fans to be slow paced about their UCONN football now. Illogical. However no disrespect intended here, that type of mindset only applies to the elderly who decide to stick around the area.

Reaction Score
Clemson has a 5* QB commit for both 17 and 18. They have 3 4* QB's on the current roster who are backups. And they have Watson. They are on a different level in terms of QB recruiting than every team in the country.
And we're lucky to get one 3 star on our roster over a 4 year span.

Reaction Score
He probably felt that he had better offensive coaches in high school. Thinking, "why aren't the big uglies using the blocking sleds". Even if I get in I'm going to get killed.
Yup

Reaction Score
The Fox commercial was like being sucker punched in the stomache, but there is no point making our pain worse than it was.

Lagow never wanted to compete with Boyle for the position, and left after about 30 seconds when he saw himself competing against Boyle and having trouble getting in front of him. Is it possible that the staff should have known what each would look like 4 years out and have immediately let Lagow know he was the guy? Yes, its possible. But it took Lagow years to get on the field as a Div 1 QB, and Boyle was more highly rated coming out of high school, and there is no way of knowing that a different coach would have handles it better. But to imply he left because he worried about our offensive development three coaches down the road is laughable.

And Williams took himself out of the program with his off field behavior.

So while I have no issue beating up on the P era, I just don't know that these two kids are evidence of what the problems actually were. Other than everything going wrong.

Reaction Score
The Fox commercial was like being sucker punched in the stomache, but there is no point making our pain worse than it was.

Lagow never wanted to compete with Boyle for the position, and left after about 30 seconds when he saw himself competing against Boyle and having trouble getting in front of him. Is it possible that the staff should have known what each would look like 4 years out and have immediately let Lagow know he was the guy? Yes, its possible. But it took Lagow years to get on the field as a Div 1 QB, and Boyle was more highly rated coming out of high school, and there is no way of knowing that a different coach would have handles it better. But to imply he left because he worried about our offensive development three coaches down the road is laughable.

And Williams took himself out of the program with his off field behavior.

So while I have no issue beating up on the P era, I just don't know that these two kids are evidence of what the problems actually were. Other than everything going wrong.

There was no competition to run from, the local kid was getting preferential treatment by PP, so to imply he ran is naive and a bit uninformed as to what was occurring during that time period. What he saw was the writing on the wall and decided to leave. Good luck to him, he found a place for himself and is doing well.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The Lagow situation is why I don't believe in coddling these bad CT HS FB coaches.

Breaking news- you aren't that good and neither are an overwhelming majority of your players. Deal with it. Stop holding this program hostage.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
IDK, and don't care to rehash it but I always thought Lagow was holding out for a better offer.

Under that case, you can't blame P for bringing in another QB and a coach shouldn't have to apologize for it. How many times has our QB played every game?

Development is another story. Boyle might be the worst regular D1 QB we've had but Williams is giving him a run.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with you often Carl, but the hate DW has gotten after starting 3 games as a true freshman is unbelievable.

Agreed but more like unconscionable! Look, anything Diaco says is being met with resistance, I get it. But for BD to sing DW's praise the way he did tells me DW could be a very special player. I refuse to let those first three games, with a rookie OC determine my opinion of DW. It's too early to tell and I maintain that I am happy he got his feet wet at the expense of the Red Shirt. No matter what one thinks about a Bob Diaco, he wouldn't put this out there if he doesn't have big time talent.

"Some really emotional style games that have a lot of, I call it the swirl of game day," Diaco said. "It's invaluable. It can't even be measured in terms of his future quarterbacking the team in [2017] and beyond. It's just an incredible jump start. His upside, at the end, all things being equal, it will be as high as any player at his position in America. He's that talented. He's big, he's fast, he's smart, he's got an excellent arm, he's got a quick release, he's elusive in the pocket."

Let's have a little patience and see what happens with Donovan Winston, I mean Williams!

Reaction Score
We learned two things about DW this year:
1) He wasn't ready to play.
2) He has a very, very, very long way to go before he's anything close to what Diaco said his potential is.

Reaction Score
2) He has a very, very, very long way to go before he's anything close to what Diaco said his potential is.

Two things I learned about Wing U-Conn

1. Your not ready to coach

2. You have a very very very long way to go before you can be anything close to a Division 1 FBS football coach

It's the absolutes that are difficult to take. For Pete's sake that's why he gave him the game experience.
And Tom Brady wasn't the QB he is today when he was a Senior at Michigan!
Timing is everything in sports. Sometimes when things are going bad you try too hard and don't let the game come to you.
Let's give the kid some time. He may surprise you!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

2. You have a very very very long way to go before you can be anything close to a Division 1 FBS football coach

It's the absolutes that are difficult to take. For Pete's sake that's why he gave him the game experience.
Timing is everything in sports. Sometimes when things are going bad you try too hard and don't let the game come to you.

Great tactic, the "I have no substance so I'm just gonna copy and paste what you said and switch the words around" really convinces people of your merits.

You're asserting that anyone who didn't think the QB whose completion percentage is under 50%, threw for a measly 300 yards on 36 completions across three games, and has a 1-to-5 TD-INT ratio isn't game ready doesn't know anything about football...this is nonsensical.

I will never understand why you keep comparing our players to people who are all-time greats at their positions. The chance that we have anyone who is on Tom Brady's level play at UConn is infinitesimal at best. You seem to think that just because you blindly hope and wish for something, it'll come true. I can hope and wish all I want to win the lottery tomorrow, but does that make it any more likely?

Also, I don't know if you've been watching, but this team is 14-35 over the past four seasons. We can't afford to "give kids time" anymore, we need them to step up and start winning us some games. At the quarterback position, you win games by making plays.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
There is absolutely nothing objectionable at all in this.

Please note that nothing stated here precludes DW from, some day, developing.

But regarding the 2016 season, these are statements of fact.

Reaction Score
Great tactic, the "I have no substance so I'm just gonna copy and paste what you said and switch the words around" really convinces people of your merits.

You're asserting that anyone who didn't think the QB whose completion percentage is under 50%, threw for a measly 300 yards on 36 completions across three games, and has a 1-to-5 TD-INT ratio isn't game ready doesn't know anything about football...this is nonsensical.

I will never understand why you keep comparing our players to people who are all-time greats at their positions. The chance that we have anyone who is on Tom Brady's level play at UConn is infinitesimal at best. You seem to think that just because you blindly hope and wish for something, it'll come true. I can hope and wish all I want to win the lottery tomorrow, but does that make it any more likely?

Also, I don't know if you've been watching, but this team is 14-35 over the past four seasons. We can't afford to "give kids time" anymore, we need them to step up and start winning us some games. At the quarterback position, you win games by making plays.

Give it a rest stretch!

Reaction Score
So does Diaco.

Look Carl, I didn't say a single negative thing about the kid in that post. You read into that post whatever you wanted to. Nobody should be expected to come in as a true freshman QB and perform well at this level, with this OL, and this coaching staff. I didn't make one single "absolute" statement in that post. WTF are you reading?

But since you want to make this personal, rather than about Williams, fine.

You're the embodiment of a human participation trophy. This place doesn't suite you, you're much better off handing out "Finisher" ribbons to the players since they managed to play 12 whole games this year.

But please, don't ever leave, you're the "Chong" to Chief's "Cheech". Without you two here, it wouldn't be quite as easy to identify the "fanatics" from the "lunatics".

Reaction Score
So does Diaco.

Look Carl, I didn't say a single negative thing about the kid in that post. You read into that post whatever you wanted to. Nobody should be expected to come in as a true freshman QB and perform well at this level, with this OL, and this coaching staff. I didn't make one single "absolute" statement in that post. WTF are you reading?

But since you want to make this personal, rather than about Williams, fine.

You're the embodiment of a human participation trophy. This place doesn't suite you, you're much better off handing out "Finisher" ribbons to the players since they managed to play 12 whole games this year.

But please, don't ever leave, you're the "Chong" to Chief's "Cheech". Without you two here, it wouldn't be quite as easy to identify the "fanatics" from the "lunatics".

You too! Go have a couple of egg nogs!

Reaction Score
It's so weird how other schools have quarterbacks. Then they keep adding more quarterbacks. Then a quarterback graduates and then the next quarterback plays.

We turn our quarterbacks over more often than 7-11 swaps out the Twinkies.

Until UConn commits, really commits, to a passing game as the meat and potatoes of its offense, forget getting top notch QB recruits (and WRs).

Reaction Score

Wasn't Brady 10-1 as a starter at Michigan?

Reaction Score
Wasn't Brady 10-1 as a starter at Michigan?

My point in mentioning Brady was more his about his assent to where he is today. Nobody expected that he could possibly become the greatest quarterback of all time. Many on the Boneyard have written Donovan Williams off after his 3 game rookie start. Brady was a reluctant 6th round draft choice of the Pats. Slower than molasses in January he ran over a 6.0 in the 40. I am hoping we have a great QB in Storrs the next 3 years!

https://www.quora.com/Why-was-Tom-Brady-drafted-so-low

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Using Tom Brady as a measuring point seems like a real fair and sensible thing to do... Regardless do you realize how good of a college QB you have to be to even be drafted that late? Pretty damn good and that's about 10000000000x harder when playing at UConn rather than Michigan

Reaction Score
IDK, and don't care to rehash it but I always thought Lagow was holding out for a better offer.

Under that case, you can't blame P for bringing in another QB and a coach shouldn't have to apologize for it. How many times has our QB played every game?

Development is another story. Boyle might be the worst regular D1 QB we've had but Williams is giving him a run.
I recall Lagow being a big UConn cheerleader until Boyle arrived?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom