For UConn’s Westbrook, the waiting is the hardest part | The Boneyard

For UConn’s Westbrook, the waiting is the hardest part

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
“We haven’t seen what she can do,” Auriemma said. “A little bit here and three. Regardless of waiver or no waiver, I don’t think we’re going to figure that one out until she has been here a couple of months and gotten 100 percent healthy. Right now she’s not there.

“I don’t know where (Westbrook’s) biggest strengths lie. We’ve been preparing for anything that might happen. We’ve tried playing Crystal at a lot of different spots on the floor — she has the ball a lot, doesn’t have the ball a lot — different scenarios. I don’t know yet if Evina sees herself as a playmaker and then a scorer or a scorer and then a playmaker. I know she works hard.”

Westbrook says she’ll play anywhere, do anything needed. Asked what the biggest change on the court for her at UConn is, she answers that she loves Auriemma’s demand for consistency every day.

“This is definitely were I’m supposed to be,” Westbrook said. “The style of play, I love it. The offense is going to be incredible this year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I find this sentence revealing about the appeal petition

“All you can do is put down on paper this is what happened, this is why I left, this my scenario, this is my situation,” Auriemma said.

This language to me suggests there are identifiable events that are cataloged and not just a feeling of wanting a better overall experience

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Also, parsing further into the language (why not)

“A lot goes into putting an appeal together,” Auriemma said. “That of itself, took some time for Evina, her parents, our compliance department to get everything lined up, get everything done, make sure it’s exactly what’s needed

I suppose it is not a surprise her parents are involved but that suggests to me some issues beyond the basketball court

Reaction Score
Also, parsing further into the language (why not)

“A lot goes into putting an appeal together,” Auriemma said. “That of itself, took some time for Evina, her parents, our compliance department to get everything lined up, get everything done, make sure it’s exactly what’s needed

I suppose it is not a surprise her parents are involved but that suggests to me some issues beyond the basketball court

There’s a few posters on the Vols board that believe she was bullied and harassed by the Vols fans. Especially after her interview after the NCAA tournament loss

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There’s a few posters on the Vols board that believe she was bullied and harassed by the Vols fans. Especially after her interview after the NCAA tournament loss
The bullying by LV fans purportedly took place on social media during the season. Most LV fans applauded Evina after her comments following the tournament loss. They turned on her only after she announced her intention to transfer and particularly when she decided to transfer to UConn.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
“We haven’t seen what she can do,” Auriemma said. “A little bit here and three. Regardless of waiver or no waiver, I don’t think we’re going to figure that one out until she has been here a couple of months and gotten 100 percent healthy. Right now she’s not there.

“I don’t know where (Westbrook’s) biggest strengths lie. We’ve been preparing for anything that might happen. We’ve tried playing Crystal at a lot of different spots on the floor — she has the ball a lot, doesn’t have the ball a lot — different scenarios. I don’t know yet if Evina sees herself as a playmaker and then a scorer or a scorer and then a playmaker. I know she works hard.”

Westbrook says she’ll play anywhere, do anything needed. Asked what the biggest change on the court for her at UConn is, she answers that she loves Auriemma’s demand for consistency every day.

“This is definitely were I’m supposed to be,” Westbrook said. “The style of play, I love it. The offense is going to be incredible this year.

Coming from the dysfunction of TN (and the general lack of creative offense in the SEC in general), it must feel like an out of body experience to play in our read and react offense.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Coming from the dysfunction of TN (and the general lack of creative offense in the SEC in general), it must feel like an out of body experience to play in our read and react offense.
Evina’s comment that she, “loves Auriemma’s demand for consistency every day” indicates a truly unique perspective from a talented player who has transferred from a consistently underachieving and dysfunctional program to the most demanding and successful program in the history of WBB. I can’t wait to see Evina take advantage of her new lease on life as a UConn Husky.

Reaction Score
Evina’s comment that she, “loves Auriemma’s demand for consistency every day” indicates a truly unique perspective from a talented player who has transferred from a consistently underachieving and dysfunctional program to the most demanding and successful program in the history of WBB. I can’t wait to see Evina take advantage of her new lease on life as a UConn Husky.
It proves that kids really do want structure regardless of what they tell you.....

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
The bullying by LV fans purportedly took place on social media during the season. Most LV fans applauded Evina after her comments following the tournament loss. They turned on her only after she announced her intention to transfer and particularly when she decided to transfer to UConn.

This is not accurate. The bullying came after the tournament loss interview. It was awful and no one can blame her for leaving. While Kellie would have given her a clean slate, some fans thumping away at their keyboards in their momma's basement would have been a constant problem. There are fans like that in every fan base too.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

The same comments are being said about Kellie. The days of dysfunction are long gone. KJH is extremely demanding and detail oriented. The offense will also be alot different.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is not accurate. The bullying came after the tournament loss interview. It was awful and no one can blame her for leaving. While Kellie would have given her a clean slate, some fans thumping away at their keyboards in their momma's basement would have been a constant problem. There are fans like that in every fan base too.
That’s not exactly correct. When Evina’s mother posted a scalding criticism of LV fans on her Facebook or Twitter page, it was in response to online criticism of her daughter from LV fans prior to the end of the season.

Furthermore, when a reporter stuck a mic in front of Evina immediately after their 1st round loss in the NCAA tournament and asked an inappropriate question, Evina mumbled something about changes with the staff. While there was some criticism of Evina for that remark, the sentiment among many LV fans, particularly on VolNation was overwhelmingly positive. After all, many LV fans had been calling for HW to be replaced for several years.

After Evina entered the transfer portal, deciding to go to UConn of all places, many of the LV fans who had been supportive of Evina turned negative on her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The same comments are being said about Kellie. The days of dysfunction are long gone. KJH is extremely demanding and detail oriented. The offense will also be alot different.
That’s nice. Geno has won 11 national championships. Let’s see how KJH does at TN before we start comparing her to Geno, Pat or any other WBB coaching legend.

Reaction Score

Hopefully you are right but we have been given this line about the Vols every year since Pat got sick.
They are going to have to show me. And not against Carson-Newman.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Omne ignotum pro magnifico est. —Tacitus

everything unknown is taken as grand

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
For us who are latin illiterate:
Definition of omne ignotum pro magnifico est

: everything unknown is taken as grand : we exaggerate the importance or difficulty of the unknown

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
For us who are latin illiterate:
Definition of omne ignotum pro magnifico est

: everything unknown is taken as grand : we exaggerate the importance or difficulty of the unknown
I am too old to learn a new (dead) language. (Or at least it was considered dead when I was in HS.)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
But look at the basis of comparison the players, boosters, fans and media have. She must seem like the equivalent of a basketball Belichick after Holly. Of course the offense will be different. Kellie plays much more of an option offense. Because this is all such a sea change doesn't mean she'll be able to recruit nor does it mean she'll have success on UT's far bigger stage. Now, she certainly had success at Missouri State, and her 62-28 record attests to that. But the greater talent she has access to at UT combined with the option offense means teaching and implementing cohesive team basketball. She'll find that's far easier with 3 stars recruits than with 5 stars and their parents.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom