For UConn’s Westbrook, the waiting is the hardest part | Page 2 | The Boneyard

For UConn’s Westbrook, the waiting is the hardest part

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
“We haven’t seen what she can do,” Auriemma said. “A little bit here and three. Regardless of waiver or no waiver, I don’t think we’re going to figure that one out until she has been here a couple of months and gotten 100 percent healthy. Right now she’s not there.

“I don’t know where (Westbrook’s) biggest strengths lie. We’ve been preparing for anything that might happen. We’ve tried playing Crystal at a lot of different spots on the floor — she has the ball a lot, doesn’t have the ball a lot — different scenarios. I don’t know yet if Evina sees herself as a playmaker and then a scorer or a scorer and then a playmaker. I know she works hard.”

Westbrook says she’ll play anywhere, do anything needed. Asked what the biggest change on the court for her at UConn is, she answers that she loves Auriemma’s demand for consistency every day.

“This is definitely were I’m supposed to be,” Westbrook said. “The style of play, I love it. The offense is going to be incredible this year.

We're down to the final 6 days before our first exhibition game this Sunday. So I'm guessing we should hear something on her waiver some time this week. At the very least in the next 2 weeks before the Cal game on Nov 10. Sometimes they wait right up until the 11th hour (or later). IIRC, AEH (MISS ST) found out about her waiver approval AFTER they had played a game. Keeping fingers crossed. :cool:

"With a game already under their belt for the 2018-19 season, the back-to-back NCAA runner-ups Mississipi State got some welcome news Wednesday night. After submitting a waiver for immediate eligibility for UConn transfer Andra Espinoza-Hunter, the Bulldogs got the thumbs up and the 5-foot-11 guard will suit up Friday when the team travels to play Virginia. "

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
We can only hope but I thought that the consensus among BYers in this thread, and numerous others, is that the NCAA is quite unpredictable when it comes to transfer waiver requests decisions. IOW, I am not holding my breath for the decision. When it is announced, there will be 4 or 5 separate threads posted here IMMEDIATELY afterwards.

Reaction Score
The same comments are being said about Kellie. The days of dysfunction are long gone. KJH is extremely demanding and detail oriented. The offense will also be alot different.
If their offense is anything more than "throw up a shot, and everybody crash the boards", yes, it will be a lot different!

Reaction Score
“We haven’t seen what she can do,” Auriemma said. “A little bit here and three. Regardless of waiver or no waiver, I don’t think we’re going to figure that one out until she has been here a couple of months and gotten 100 percent healthy. Right now she’s not there.

“I don’t know where (Westbrook’s) biggest strengths lie. We’ve been preparing for anything that might happen. We’ve tried playing Crystal at a lot of different spots on the floor — she has the ball a lot, doesn’t have the ball a lot — different scenarios. I don’t know yet if Evina sees herself as a playmaker and then a scorer or a scorer and then a playmaker. I know she works hard.”

Westbrook says she’ll play anywhere, do anything needed. Asked what the biggest change on the court for her at UConn is, she answers that she loves Auriemma’s demand for consistency every day.

“This is definitely were I’m supposed to be,” Westbrook said. “The style of play, I love it. The offense is going to be incredible this year.

Whether Evina is a Playmaker then a scorer or a scorer then a playmaker in either case Uconn wins---the kid has a great attitude and potential beyond belief. I dislike that the NCAA is going to punish and Orange because she became Blue and White--there is on other excuse for holding her out. He coach departed new coach--excuse to leave. She had personal issues and a hostile atmosphere---excuse to leave and either usually means immediate play. Or is it just me??

Reaction Score
If their offense is anything more than "throw up a shot, and everybody crash the boards", yes, it will be a lot different!
JOLLIE AIN'T Holly and UTenn ain't the UT of Pat Summit in deep mental anguish--I personally dissed regularly Holly and her UT. I liked Jollie as a player for Pat as I did many of them. The errors stupidity of the organization is not that of the coach (usually at least not Kelli Jolly) or the players. I'll still take a shot at UT or something Orange but I think UT will be one of chemistry this year and good basketball. That's just me being me.

Reaction Score
For us who are latin illiterate:
Definition of omne ignotum pro magnifico est

: everything unknown is taken as grand : we exaggerate the importance or difficulty of the unknown
Some may not fully appreciate the wisdom of these words because they begun in Latin. No truer or wiser words have been stated, written or spoken. That's why most have fear of the dark. Or the greener grass next door.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
If they don't grant the waiver, she'll get more recovery/practice time and will no doubt be better for it in her remaining eligible years. As anxious as I am to see her play this year, I think I would rather see the 100% Evina in all of her UConn years.

I guess I'll be happy for Evina if the waiver is granted, but not overly disappointed if not.

Reaction Score
Question: If Evina was healthy and ready to play would she be permitted to play in the exhibition games if:
1) she was denied a waiver to play this year, and/or
2) if no decision regarding her waiver had been made by game time

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Question: If Evina was healthy and ready to play would she be permitted to play in the exhibition games if:
I am guessing here but I am assuming that the default position is that she is not eligible to play because of the 1 year sit out requirement. Until her waiver is decided, I doubt that she is eligible to play this season.I believe exhibitions are covered by the "sit out" requirement.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
No to both.

Exhibition games are already underway and lots of teams have players with pending waiver requests. Karisma Ortiz of Texas (transfer from Penn State), for example, was on the bench last night but not in uniform.

Reaction Score
If they don't grant the waiver, she'll get more recovery/practice time and will no doubt be better for it in her remaining eligible years. As anxious as I am to see her play this year, I think I would rather see the 100% Evina in all of her UConn years.

I guess I'll be happy for Evina if the waiver is granted, but not overly disappointed if not.

If she doesn't receive the waiver there is no guarantee that Westbrook will stay for all of her eligibility. It is conceivable that she would just play 1 year and leave with her original graduating class.

Reaction Score
No to both.

Exhibition games are already underway and lots of teams have players with pending waiver requests. Karisma Ortiz of Texas (transfer from Penn State), for example, was on the bench last night but not in uniform.

Kind of odd how Shepard and Notre Dame received her waiver the day of their first exhibition game.

Carnac

Reaction Score
It’s Tuesday, 5 days before our first game of the season. I’m still waiting to hear something from the NCAA about Evina’s waiver. The silence is deafening. So we wait, and wait, and wait. I’d like to say I have a good feeling about this, but I don’t.

Good things come to those who wait and stay positive. :)

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Whether Evina is a Playmaker then a scorer or a scorer then a playmaker in either case Uconn wins---the kid has a great attitude and potential beyond belief. I dislike that the NCAA is going to punish and Orange because she became Blue and White--there is on other excuse for holding her out. He coach departed new coach--excuse to leave. She had personal issues and a hostile atmosphere---excuse to leave and either usually means immediate play. Or is it just me??

I don't think she was enamored with the coach. Westbrook may be allowed to play but that won't be the reason.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Java, great minds think alike. I was wandering the same thing. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
If she doesn't receive the waiver there is no guarantee that Westbrook will stay for all of her eligibility. It is conceivable that she would just play 1 year and leave with her original graduating class.

FYI.................It's also conceivable (but highly improbable) that as another poster suggested here on the heels of her announcement to transfer, that she could leave for the WNBA without playing a game at UConn. She's 21 years old now (September 28, 1998).

Taken from the official WNBA website: Q&A #17. Who’s eligible to be drafted?

"The league requires draft entrants to be at least 22 years old during the year in which the draft takes place and has no remaining college eligibility or renounces any future college eligibility."

Westbrook would qualify. She'll be 22 on September 28, 2020.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

She may play but 1 season in either case. She is draft eligible next May and if they tell her she will be a lottery pick she may decide to leave.

Reaction Score
Been trying to figure that out for a while. Not sure what UConn is arguing.
After I posted that I was hoping you'd not take it as an honest question and you did.n.t I appreciate that.
Whatever Uconn argued it is said and done and like us Geno and Evina. I'm a bit set back by some posters saying Evina could bolt to the W this year or next--hot dang, she'll just be warming up till then.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom