For UConn’s Westbrook, the waiting is the hardest part | Page 4 | The Boneyard

For UConn’s Westbrook, the waiting is the hardest part

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
New Courant Article:
Will Evina Westbrook play for UConn this year? Here’s everything to know about the NCAA’s waiver process

This a very complete and informative article-would encourage everyone to read it.
From the Article :
" Players can be granted waivers for numerous reasons, the most common of which include: injury or illness, a family member’s injury or illness, “egregious conduct” at a previous school or a “no-participation opportunity” (in which an athlete is denied a chance to play at her former school for reasons outside of her control)."
Evina required surgery almost immediately upon her arrival at UCONN. The surgery was to correct an injury which occurred in the SEC tournament in her freshman year. Could injury illness be the rationale for Evina's waiver request?

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
found this
This a very complete and informative article-would encourage everyone to read it.
From the Article :
" Players can be granted waivers for numerous reasons, the most common of which include: injury or illness, a family member’s injury or illness, “egregious conduct” at a previous school or a “no-participation opportunity” (in which an athlete is denied a chance to play at her former school for reasons outside of her control)."
Evina required surgery almost immediately upon her arrival at UCONN. The surgery was to correct an injury which occurred in the SEC tournament in her freshman year. Could injury illness be the rationale for Evina's waiver request?

I found this Geno quote interesting

“I feel good about it,” he said. "Everything I read the last couple years it’s [about] ‘student-athlete welfare.’ … So I would like to assume that something like this is pretty important.”

I would think the issue about medical injury would only be relevant if there is some issue regarding the quality of the medical care / advice given which is hard to contain publicity wise

I still think the crux of the argument comes from fan treatment issues.

Reaction Score
I thought her best chance at a waiver was due to the coaching change at TN?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
found this

“I feel good about it,” he said. "Everything I read the last couple years it’s [about] ‘student-athlete welfare.’ … So I would like to assume that something like this is pretty important.”

I would think the issue about medical injury would only be relevant if there is some issue regarding the quality of the medical care / advice given which is hard to contain publicity wise

That is interesting. I've never given much credence to the fan mistreatment issue because it was my understanding that it was done via social media which the player could have easily blocked. Mistreatment I would think would have to come from a member of the staff or administration as was the case at Georgia Tech and UNC.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I thought her best chance at a waiver was due to the coaching change at TN?
No.

Directly from the article:
"According to NCAA rules, a coaching change can only warrant a transfer’s immediate eligibility in the case of an incoming freshman whose head coach departs before the first day of fall classes."

Reaction Score
found this

Geno being Geno, doing his best sarcasm bit. :D

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
That is interesting. I've never given much credence to the fan mistreatment issue because it was my understanding that it was done via social media which the player could have easily blocked. Mistreatment I would think would have to come from a member of the staff or administration as was the case at Georgia Tech and UNC.

If some fans want to push their feelings too strongly, there are other ways besides social media which may not be publicized. Hard for me to see coaching/institutional difficulties on their best player? Just guesswork of course.

Reaction Score
Not being a follower of Tennessee basketball.. can someone explain why EV was mistreated by the fans? Thank you.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I predict a decision on Evina's waiver petition will be released on Friday at 5 pm. This assumes the NCAA staff won't be working the weekend.

Reaction Score
For all the complaining around here about the NCAA dragging their feet wrt to Evina's waiver, I find it interesting that "UConn filed Westbrook’s waiver during the first week in October" which is only like 3 weeks ago.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
For all the complaining around here about the NCAA dragging their feet wrt to Evina's waiver, I find it interesting that "UConn filed Westbrook’s waiver during the first week in October" which is only like 3 weeks ago.

I saw that and questioned what exactly was filed in early October. Geno and Evina have talked about the waiver since August at least. I'm guessing that the filing in early October was the appeal to the CLR. But to your point, it doesn't sound like foot-dragging at this phase of the process.

Reaction Score
For me, it seems that Tennessee has failed to evolve as WCBB has improved and more talent (players and coaching) has come into the game. I respect their tradition, but even towards the end of Pat's reign the cracks were starting to show. Rebounding wins championships (as Pat liked to say), but a few other things are necessary too. The question for the Lady Vols is whether they can move out of the shadow of Pat.
Sounds a lot like UConn football. We were on the right track then all of sudden our coach takes a better job and everybody in house wet the bed... Didn't have a clue as to what they were doing and just about destroyed the program in the process...

Reaction Score
I saw that and questioned what exactly was filed in early October. Geno and Evina have talked about the waiver since August at least. I'm guessing that the filing in early October was the appeal to the CLR. But to your point, it doesn't sound like foot-dragging at this phase of the process.

I doubt that it was the appeal they filed, something would have leaked.

Reaction Score
Careful with your words... You speak as though you were never aware of all the success Pat Summit brought to the Tennessee program.. She was Geno before Geno was Geno... They used to kick our a**es all the time until we finally got over the hump. The disrespect in your comment is kinda unnecessary IMHO. You could easily argue that we're on the cusp of going thru what they're currently going through. Geno's no spring chicken these days... When that era ends you don't know what's coming.
Uconn never had to get over any hump with Tennessee and Pat Summit. First 2 games with Tennessee in 1995 Connecticut jumped to No.1 in the Country and the second game CT. first NC! Uconn is 4-0 against Tennessee in National Championship Games! What about the 2 beat downs by Uconn in the NCAA Tournament when Uconn gave Tennessee the 2 worst losses in tournament history( 2000 NC game and the 2002 National Semi Finals! Tennessee is the team that has never reached the hump that Uconn has made in front of them!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just a sidebar. Evina’s former team played an exhibition game last night against D2 Carson-Newman. The LV’s won 70-44 shooting only 35% from the field, 2/15 from the arc. TN won largely based on out-rebounding the much smaller C-N team by +25. Looks like KJH has some work to do.

Reaction Score
Just a sidebar. Evina’s former team played an exhibition game last night against D2 Carson-Newman. The LV’s won 70-44 shooting only 35% from the field, 2/15 from the arc. TN won largely based on out-rebounding the much smaller C-N team by +25. Looks like KJH has some work to do.

ahhhhhh now there's a school I can relate to..................... named after two of it's very famous patrons, Johnny Carson and Alfred E Newman................... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Careful with your words... You speak as though you were never aware of all the success Pat Summit brought to the Tennessee program.. She was Geno before Geno was Geno... They used to kick our a**es all the time until we finally got over the hump. The disrespect in your comment is kinda unnecessary IMHO. You could easily argue that we're on the cusp of going thru what they're currently going through. Geno's no spring chicken these days... When that era ends you don't know what's coming.
While I too enjoyed the UT/UC games in the heyday of UT and PAT had some success---and had a dangerous team--She was gracious to the new upstart program, she then had to take a back seat to the new guy in town.
The Cusp you speak of is 5 to 15 YEARS away. Spring chicken is in the INDIVIDUAL not by age but by health and attitude. My 83 year old wife is younger now than she was at 16 and her mental health is excellent. So don't throw Geno out to pasture just yet. He'll go when he knows it's the right time.
Geno could have retired 20 years ago--his wealth was more than sufficient then to live 5 life times.
While the kids are fun to be around and he is successful in the game--he'll be taking on all comers.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Destiny Littleton’s waiver petition denied. She transferred from Texas to South Carolina.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think she lost her father last year. I think he lived in CA. She moved farther away from CA so not sure that was the reason.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
"Personally" she probably thought she wasn't getting enough shots or minutes at Texas.

I can't imagine she'd be getting more of anything but bench time at SC.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think she lost her father last year. I think he lived in CA. She moved farther away from CA so not sure that was the reason.
She also couldn't have been happy about Texas picking up Danni Williams last year. Danni started all 33 games for Texas.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom