For UConn’s Westbrook, the waiting is the hardest part | Page 6 | The Boneyard

For UConn’s Westbrook, the waiting is the hardest part

Reaction Score
I don't know that and you don't either, because she also would have had different players. Holly had 2 years with horrible recruiting. Players that had previously planned to go to TN chose else where after her announcement.
Well of course it's all hypothetical, but we're talking about Stewie here. When her career is over she may go down as the best player ever. It wouldn't have mattered who Pat had, just like it didn't matter who Dawn, Jeff, or Muffet had. We had Stewie and everyone else didn't. Like Coach Vic said it was like playing a WNBA team.

Reaction Score
I could see her staying one year and then leaving for pro ball......................that's OK with me as long as she let's Geno know well ahead of time so that he can recruit accordingly.......
i DON't know what a decent amount of time may be for her to let Geno know. Sometimes, especially with kids, she may not know or decide until the last minute. i think Geno, this not being his first rodeo, knows enough to expect anything because with kids this age ANYTHING may happen.
Throwing nasties (not saying you did) at Z may have been fun however we need to think of what they believe is best for her and I believe this applies to Westbrook. This is among the 121 reasons I worry about the delay or denial of the Waiver for her. Without playing in a credited game she may learn all she wanted to learn from Geno to jump to the W. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
I’m not suggesting that she will, only that she could. No doubt that was discussed between Geno, her and her parents.

Remember Duke transfer Azura Stevens bolted to the WNBA a year early when it was assumed she would stay for two.
Z saw an opportunity and took it. We may not like it but I credit kids that make tough choices whether the grown up in the room likes it or not. (I'm not fully developed mentally yet, or mature yet. My 97 year old sister is--ask her she;ll tell you.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I could see her staying one year and then leaving for pro ball......................that's OK with me as long as she let's Geno know well ahead of time so that he can recruit accordingly.......

How can a player make such a deal? They do not know ahead of time if their season will be pro ready.

Reaction Score
How can a player make such a deal? They do not know ahead of time if their season will be pro ready.

I think players have a general idea of what they want to accomplish........................was Azura's season really pro ready? I'd say it was good but not stellar............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think players have a general idea of what they want to accomplish........................was Azura's season really pro ready? I'd say it was good but not stellar............
Absolutely she was. Despite being 6th in minutes/game played Azura led the team in: Offensive Rebounds, Total rebounds (Tie), RPG, Block shots, FG%. Unfortunately Napheesa was playing behind Napheesa who had an AA Sophomore season and Gabby who had an AA Junior season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

It was pro ready because she was projected to go in the first round of the WNBA Draft.

I also think Azure did not completely decide until the very end

Even if you can argue that Azure knew long before and perhaps she felt that a 6'6" player with very good and unique skills is a lock to get picked in the 1st round, there are no such guarantee's for Evina

She would be dealing with

1) A tough system to master as a guard
2) Nagging injuries

Reaction Score
Absolutely she was. Despite being 6th in minutes/game played Azura led the team in: Offensive Rebounds, Total rebounds (Tie), RPG, Block shots, FG%. Unfortunately Napheesa was playing behind Napheesa who had an AA Sophomore season and Gabby who had an AA Junior season.

AS certainly had the height and skills pro teams love but her outside shooting was really awful.............I think Westbrook or any player should at least make it clear that they are thinking of going pro if they have the opportunity to leave early............I suppose you could say Geno was a bit naive in not considering that Azura might leave unless of course she had clearly stated that she was staying........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
AS certainly had the height and skills pro teams love but her outside shooting was really awful.............I think Westbrook or any player should at least make it clear that they are thinking of going pro if they have the opportunity to leave early............I suppose you could say Geno was naive in not considering that Azura might leave unless of course she had clearly stated that she was staying........
Don't know what happened to Azura's 3 ball but if you remember she was absolutely scorching going into that season prompting Geno to say that there was nobody in the gym that could guard her at USA basketball camp. She was awful with the 3 ball that season I agree. Geno was clearly caught off guard by Azura leaving early but you live and you learn. WCBB is still voluntary and I'm not sure how practical it is to make a kid promise not to leave. Some kids just don't like the college life and want to move on as soon as possible. If the kid is miserable the coach is bound to be equally miserable= loss for everyone.

Reaction Score
Don't know what happened to Azura's 3 ball but if you remember she was absolutely scorching going into that season prompting Geno to say that there was nobody in the gym that could guard her at USA basketball camp. She was awful with the 3 ball that season I agree. Geno was clearly caught off guard by Azura leaving early but you live and you learn. WCBB is still voluntary and I'm not sure how practical it is to make a kid promise not to leave. Some kids just don't like the college life and want to move on as soon as possible. If the kid is miserable the coach is bound to be equally miserable= loss for everyone.

yes I agree you certainly don't want to force a player to stay, all I'm saying is that the players who have the opportunity to leave early should give the coach a heads up if that it is something they are even considering....................this issue is going to come up more often now that UConn is adding multiple international players........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom