First Committee Top 16 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

First Committee Top 16

Reaction Score
While I don't want to defend weak OOC schedules there are other factors that have to be considered. First, public colleges can find themselves under pressure to play other public schools in their state. MD played U of MD Eastern Shore & U of MD Baltimore County. I have no idea why but it's possible that Brenda was "strongly advised" to play them. They also played Mt St Mary's, and Loyola of MD, both in-state schools. Again, I have no information but it's conceivable that some bean-counter in the MD administration doesn't want to fund travel all over the country. UConn fans are blessed that their team has the budget and freedom to play whomever they choose.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You do realize that before UConn was in the AAC it used to play a bunch of cupcakes every year?
Always played good teams to be sure, but this notion that UConn never played any chumps, let alone multiple ones, is fantasy.

Vowelguy, Where exactly did I say or suggest this notion that "UConn never played any chumps", let alone multiple ones, is fantasy?. Read my post again. I never suggested that UConn never played nay chumps.

My reference was to today's teams, not yesterday's. My focus is on now....2017 and beyond. What happened yesterday/yesteryear, is not part of my narrative. To your point, yes, I'm aware of that, BUT, they got away with it. IF you can do that, and not suffer any repercussions, so be it.

I completely understand why teams that have multiple ranked teams in their conference are reluctant to schedule more top ranked opponents on to what is already a challenging schedule. A forward looking coach now realizes how closely and how much credence the selection committee weighs strength of schedule now.

Admittedly, If UConn was is a P5 conference, they would not have to front load their schedule with as many top 10 teams.Their SOS would be made up during their conference play.

However my posture relative to playing teams that can't help you improve remains steadfast. You can't improve your team's play and execution (and weaknesses will not be exposed) playing cupcakes. That goes for any team. Iron sharpens iron. If your team was ranked #30 (and I assume you had aspirations of breaking into the top 25), would you learn and benefit more from playing UConn or a sub 200 team?

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That's where you & the committee disagree with me. It's fine to use that sort of standard when you deciding which 5 of 15 bubble teams deserve a spot in the dance but when you are assigning 1 & 2 seeds the only time games against #50+ teams should matter is if you lose to one of them. That's just my opinion. I'm not trying to convince anyone to agree with me but IMO it's a valid POV.

It's fine to believe whatever you want, but over the years the committee has been quite consistent in "penalizing" (for lack of a better word) teams with an abysmal SOS ranking and "rewarding" teams that have challenged themselves in their schedule.

And if you think that the teams ranked 51 to 100 are no better than the teams in the 200s and 300s, I would look no further than Maryland's struggle to put away Washington State, a 51-100 team, in a neutral-court game that was tied midway through the 4th quarter. MSU also had a difficult time in true road games at Iowa State (one of the most difficult places to win for visiting teams) and at Southern Cal, both of which are also in the 51-100 range.

Plebe

Reaction Score
While I don't want to defend weak OOC schedules there are other factors that have to be considered. First, public colleges can find themselves under pressure to play other public schools in their state. MD played U of MD Eastern Shore & U of MD Baltimore County. I have no idea why but it's possible that Brenda was "strongly advised" to play them. They also played Mt St Mary's, and Loyola of MD, both in-state schools. Again, I have no information but it's conceivable that some bean-counter in the MD administration doesn't want to fund travel all over the country. UConn fans are blessed that their team has the budget and freedom to play whomever they choose.

Oh, so the committee should just assume that Brenda was forced to play all the weak in-state teams and therefore give her a pass on her crummy SOS. Or maybe they should commission an independent fact-finding team to conduct a thorough investigation in order to determine whether administrative coercion was a factor. Sounds totally reasonable.

Reaction Score
Vowelguy, Where exactly did I say or suggest this notion that "UConn never played any chumps", let alone multiple ones, is fantasy?. Read my post again. I never suggested that UConn never played nay chumps.
?

But you implied that in order to be successful, a team should not be scheduling any weak opponents. And yet UConn won more than a half dozen titles with such a schedule!
But you want no other school to follow the same formula now.

Reaction Score
It's fine to believe whatever you want, but over the years the committee has been quite consistent in "penalizing" (for lack of a better word) teams with an abysmal SOS ranking and "rewarding" teams that have challenged themselves in their schedule.

And if you think that the teams ranked 51 to 100 are no better than the teams in the 200s and 300s, I would look no further than Maryland's struggle to put away Washington State, a 51-100 team, in a neutral-court game that was tied midway through the 4th quarter. MSU also had a difficult time in true road games at Iowa State (one of the most difficult places to win for visiting teams) and at Southern Cal, both of which are also in the 51-100 range.

I never said that. My point is that for a top 8 team a win over a 50-100 team is no more deserving of an reward than a win over a 100-300 team.

In an admittedly absurd but apt example, if I won an arm wrestling contest over a 10 year old and you won one over a 6 year old, my victory would IMO have no more value than yours, even though the 10 year old was much stronger than the 6 year old. But under the NCAA's SOS formula I would get more credit than you for my win.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I never said that. My point is that for a top 8 team a win over a 50-100 team is no more deserving of an reward than a win over a 100-300 team.

In an admittedly absurd but apt example, if I won an arm wrestling contest over a 10 year old and you won one over a 6 year old, my victory would IMO have no more value than yours, even though the 10 year old was much stronger than the 6 year old. But under the NCAA's SOS formula I would get more credit than you for my win.

If you had it your way, and wins over teams in the 51-100 range were considered worthless in the way that sub-150 wins are, then the top teams would have absolutely no incentive to ever schedule anyone in the 51-150 range, even though (as we have seen countless times in this season alone) those teams can in fact pose stiff challenges to — and even sometimes beat — some of the top teams.

Reaction Score
If you had it your way, and wins over teams in the 51-100 range were considered worthless in the way that sub-150 wins are, then the top teams would have absolutely no incentive to ever schedule anyone in the 51-150 range, even though (as we have seen countless times in this season alone) those teams can in fact pose stiff challenges to — and even sometimes beat — some of the top teams.

If you go back and reread my numerous posts on this topic you would see that I am completely in favor of penalizing elite teams that lose to a weak team. What I would disregard, or at least minimize the relevance of, are the wins over that sort of team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You do realize that before UConn was in the AAC it used to play a bunch of cupcakes every year?
Always played good teams to be sure, but this notion that UConn never played any chumps, let alone multiple ones, is fantasy.
There is an occasional chump. there are sometimes multiple chumps, and then there is what Maryland did this year.
With all due disrespect to UMass Lowell (3-18 ), Maryland Eastern Shore (8-8) , Mount St. Mary's (5-14) , Niagara (5-14), UMBC (9-11) , Towson (11-7) , Saint Peter's (3-16) & Loyola (Md.) (8-11) I would be willing to bet none of those schools have ever gotten a single call from a top 10 WCBB program besides MD. Maryland Scheduled all of them in the same season. If you want to know why the committee was pissed look at the records in ( ) after each school.

That would be like UCONN scheduling Central Connecticut, Fairfield, Hartford, Quinnipiac , Sacred Heart, Yale, St. Bonnaventure , & Huston Baptist. Actually I take that back, UCONN would not be as penalized as much because Quinnipiac is at the top of their conference and St. Perter's is at the bottom of the same conference AGAIN!

Plebe

Reaction Score
If you go back and reread my numerous posts on this topic you would see that I am completely in favor of penalizing elite teams that lose to a weak team. What I would disregard, or at least minimize the relevance of, are the wins over that sort of team.

And again, you would thereby set up a situation where top teams would avoid the 51-150 teams like the plague, and instead double up on the teams outside the top 200, since history has shown that the former are often tough to beat, unlike the latter.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
But you implied that in order to be successful, a team should not be scheduling any weak opponents. And yet UConn won more than a half dozen titles with such a schedule!
But you want no other school to follow the same formula now.

Other programs can follow whatever formulas they wish. If they want to prepare themselves to play the elite teams in March, so as to have a chance to beat those teams, then yes, I expect them to play as many competitive teams in their OOC as they can, and lay off the sugar. Now, that being said, I'm only talking about top ranked teams that have a legitimate chance of getting to the final four, and possibly winning it all. I'm not referring to teams that have absolutely no chance of getting that far.

Those teams can schedule whomever they wish. In their case, it's not going to make any difference. Example: Rutgers, Iowa State, Virginia, Green Bay, Kansas State, etc.......those schools are not going to win a championship. They can schedule whatever program they wish. In their case, it won't matter. They will not be in the conversation at the end of February. vowelguy, please understand that I am a UConn homer, and as such, my comments lean in that direction. I make no apologies for that. To be honest, I really don't care what other programs do. I only care what UConn does.

There are several dynamics here you may be over looking in your above statement.
1. UConn was already at the top of the leader board. They weren't trying to "catch" or over take another team. They were the team that the others were trying to over take. And as you said, they were winning championships while doing so. It's hard to argue with success.
2. There were/are a lot of teams that don't want to play UConn at any time (except for the national championship). Let's face it, If you schedule UConn, that's almost a guaranteed loss. Most coaches like to schedule teams they at least have a chance to beat. They make their schedule to build a positive winning momentum going into their conference portion of their schedule. When you suffer a blowout loss, you have to go back to square one and try and fix some things. Any momentum you had is gone.

I say it every year. No team wants to be in UConn's region in the NCAA tournament. Why??? UConn ALWAYS comes out of its region. Sometimes Geno will play a smaller program as a favor to the coach. He gets requests from smaller programs every year to schedule a game. It's not unusual for teams to refuse UConn's overtures to schedule a home and home series. Syracuse refused UConn's request to play a homecoming game in the Carrier Dome for Breanna Stewart last year, remember? UConn had to turn to Colgate (38 miles further away) for the local hometown game they wanted for her in her hometown of Syracuse. Colgate was very happy to oblige. They considered it an honor to host UConn in their tiny 1700 seat gym. Every UConn fan got their wish last year for UConn to finish the season the way they did, by exacting a small amount of revenge by blowing out Syracuse with relative ease and winning the NC at their expense. ;)

My comments were in reference to the other programs that are trying to win a championship TODAY. The reasons I've given are clear. No team can improve by playing weaker teams. How did Baylor's blow out win (140-32) win over hapless Winthrop help them? Did they learn more from their loss to UConn, or that win over Winthrop? Which game do you think exposed any weaknesses they had? I can't say it any plainer that that. If you (a team) want to bolster your won-loss record at the expense of lesser talented teams in the beginning of the year, that's your prerogative.

How far back are you willing to go with respect to what UConn did to make your point? A person's outlook can change over time. We are suppose to learn from the past (or we're doomed to repeat it). I fail to see any relevance in your query about what UConn did 5-10 or 15 years ago. The point I was making is in reference to TODAY, not last year, not 10 years ago. IMO, teams outside of the top 15, don't have a snowball's chance in He** of winning a NC. They are ranked outside of the top 15 for a reason.

Lest I remind you what Bill Parcells said with respect to your won-loss record and your status. That was/is a true statement. You cannot argue THAT point. If you don't agree with my take on this, that's OK. I have absolutely no problem with that. :) The fore going is MY opinion, and I stand by it.
If I make a statement that is factually incorrect, that's something else.

Reaction Score
And again, you would thereby set up a situation where top teams would avoid the 51-150 teams like the plague, and instead double up on the teams outside the top 200, since history has shown that the former are often tough to beat, unlike the latter.

I doubt that. But it might also mean that teams that are looking for high seeds will start scheduling more elite level teams in their OOC schedules because they would no longer be assured of a high seed by beating the 40th-80th ranked teams in their own conference. And if teams like MD and MSSt stated having 8-10 elite games on their schedules instead of 2 or 3, we, as fans would have something better to watch than what we have now.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I doubt that. But it might also mean that teams that are looking for high seeds will start scheduling more elite level teams in their OOC schedules because they would no longer be assured of a high seed by beating the 40th-80th ranked teams in their own conference. And if teams like MD and MSSt stated having 8-10 elite games on their schedules instead of 2 or 3, we, as fans would have something better to watch than what we have now.

Oh, so 40th-80th is your arbitrary cutoff range? Okay then. Mississippi State's regular season includes 12 games against the RPI top 40 (even better than your ideal of 8-10 such games). Maryland's regular season only includes five top-40 games.

So I'm glad we can finally agree that MSU's strength of schedule is clearly better than Maryland's.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
There is an occasional chump. there are sometimes multiple chumps, and then there is what Maryland did this year.
With all due disrespect to UMass Lowell (3-18 ), Maryland Eastern Shore (8-8) , Mount St. Mary's (5-14) , Niagara (5-14), UMBC (9-11) , Towson (11-7) , Saint Peter's (3-16) & Loyola (Md.) (8-11) I would be willing to bet none of those schools have ever gotten a single call from a top 10 WCBB program besides MD. Maryland Scheduled all of them in the same season. If you want to know why the committee was pissed look at the records in ( ) after each school.

That would be like UCONN scheduling Central Connecticut, Fairfield, Hartford, Quinnipiac , Sacred Heart, Yale, St. Bonnaventure , & Huston Baptist. Actually I take that back, UCONN would not be as penalized as much because Quinnipiac is at the top of their conference and St. Perter's is at the bottom of the same conference AGAIN!

Actually Duke did schedule UMass-Lowell in the 2014-15 season. :oops: But we werent a top 10 team that year.... hovered between 11- 15 most of the year.

Some of our other OOC opponents that year were #1 South Carolina, #2 UCONN, #7 TAMU, #8 Kentucky, #12 Nebraska.... and Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
Oh, so 40th-80th is your arbitrary cutoff range? Okay then. Mississippi State's regular season includes 12 games against the RPI top 40 (even better than your ideal of 8-10 such games). Maryland's regular season only includes five top-40 games.

So I'm glad we can finally agree that MSU's strength of schedule is clearly better than Maryland's.

Once again, (and I'm tired of having to repeat it to you), I'm not defending MD's weak schedule. I'm pointing out that MSST has played exactly 2 quality opponents. My point (and you help me with your comment) is that a lot of MSST's RPI and SOS ranking comes from teams ranked 22-71 and almost nothing from playing teams ranked 1-20. Here are MSST's in-conference opponent's Massey ratings. I bolded all the games against top 20 teams.

3, 22, 25, 25, 29, 33, 34, 34, 47, 53, 60, 71, 71, 86, 95, 108

You can add one top 20 OOC opponent (#9 Texas) to MSSt's resume. This is the basis for MSSt's RPI and SOS and IMO it's not even close to the level of competition that should earn a team a one seed. Washington has 6 top 20 conference games on their schedule and you can add Massey No 6 Notre Dame to that.

And I'll go further and say that it's the reason the SEC gets so many teams into the tournament but very few past the second round. he RPI was instituted for the men's game and it works better there because of the vast depth of talent compared to the women's game.

What I can't understand is how people who say MD doesn't deserve a higher seed because of their schedule (and I think that's a legitimate POV) can then think that MSSt is deserving of a 1 seed.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Once again, (and I'm tired of having to repeat it to you), I'm not defending MD's weak schedule. I'm pointing out that MSST has played exactly 2 quality opponents. My point (and you help me with your comment) is that a lot of MSST's RPI and SOS ranking comes from teams ranked 22-71 and almost nothing from playing teams ranked 1-20. Here are MSST's in-conference opponent's Massey ratings. I bolded all the games against top 20 teams.

3, 22, 25, 25, 29, 33, 34, 34, 47, 53, 60, 71, 71, 86, 95, 108

You can add one top 20 OOC opponent (#9 Texas) to MSSt's resume. This is the basis for MSSt's RPI and SOS and IMO it's not even close to the level of competition that should earn a team a one seed. Washington has 6 top 20 conference games on their schedule and you can add Massey No 6 Notre Dame to that.

And I'll go further and say that it's the reason the SEC gets so many teams into the tournament but very few past the second round. he RPI was instituted for the men's game and it works better there because of the vast depth of talent compared to the women's game.

What I can't understand is how people who say MD doesn't deserve a higher seed because of their schedule (and I think that's a legitimate POV) can then think that MSSt is deserving of a 1 seed.

Because — and you're not the only one with repetition fatigue — while MSU's strength of schedule may not be great, Maryland's strength of schedule is much worse, flagrantly so. And since strength of schedule is something that matters to the committee (always has, in fact), Maryland's resume was judged more severely than MSU's. I get that you don't agree with that, but most people would agree that playing Massachusetts-Lowell in College Park is nowhere near as challenging as playing Iowa State in Ames.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom