First Committee Top 16 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

First Committee Top 16

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
And the fact that Duke beat Louisville head to head. It still surprises me that they are that far ahead of us in the polls. Im not surprised that Duke is higher than UCLA.

It also goes to show that the committee cares far less about "bad" losses than they do about quality wins. Louisville has 3 losses to top 10 teams and its "bad" loss is to Duke. Duke has a loss to Vanderbilt, which is outside the RPI top 100.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It also goes to show that the committee cares far less about "bad" losses than they do about quality wins. Louisville has 3 losses to top 10 teams and its "bad" loss is to Duke. Duke has a loss to Vanderbilt, which is outside the RPI top 100.

That was a terrible loss :oops: At the time it didnt seem so bad..... cause I thought Vandy could be a decent type squad. Was rooting for them to win and win and win... in order to make that loss not seem as bad. Gave up..... and just came to the conclusion that we got beat by a bottom feeder from the SEC Head bang

Plebe

Reaction Score
Also, the committee's heavy emphasis on SOS (as evidenced by its placement of Maryland at #9) does not bode well for South Florida. USF needs to win at least 2 of its 3 remaining games against Tulane and Temple, AND both of these teams must stay in the RPI top 50.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The committee has Arizona State at 16 and Oregon State at 8. If seedings hold, those would be our opponents in Bridgeport. I like our chances against them. A lot!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't forget they use Geography to send teams. I suspect we will get Maryland in the Bridgeport region regardless of their seeding, unless they end up as a #1 seed and can't see that happening.

The committee has Arizona State at 16 and Oregon State at 8. If seedings hold, those would be our opponents in Bridgeport. I like our chances against them. A lot!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Don't forget they use Geography to send teams. I suspect we will get Maryland in the Bridgeport region regardless of their seeding, unless they end up as a #1 seed and can't see that happening.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I think Winthrop will end up as the final 4 seed. They are much better than that 100+ point loss to Baylor would indicate.

C'mon ETT! Baylor is a legitimately strong contender in their own right. You don't need to puff them up by reminding us of how much they whooped that powerhouse known as the Winthrop Five.

Seriously, your quip has to make the Top Ten funny posts list this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Last year, we got Mississippi State, Texas, and UCLA. None of them was from the Northeast or even Mid-Atlantic.

Plebe

Reaction Score

If the committee can avoid it, they won't put two top-4 seeds from the same conference in the same regional.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have to say that after that game last night that I gained a new respect for MSU. I truly thought that SC would dominate them and I couldn't have been further from the truth. I don't know if they will drop in the polls after losing that game, but if they do it should only be one spot.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
They dropped two spots in Massey, which isn't what you meant, but relevant.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have to say that after that game last night that I gained a new respect for MSU. I truly thought that SC would dominate them and I couldn't have been further from the truth. I don't know if they will drop in the polls after losing that game, but if they do it should only be one spot.
Sounds like Charlie Creme agrees with you.
"Mississippi State is just 1-1, but a road loss against a top-three opponent with a couple of officiating decisions going the other way in the final moments doesn't drop the Bulldogs."
Committee's message: Don't overlook strength of schedule

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Sounds like Charlie Creme agrees with you.
"Mississippi State is just 1-1, but a road loss against a top-three opponent with a couple of officiating decisions going the other way in the final moments doesn't drop the Bulldogs."
Committee's message: Don't overlook strength of schedule

I often wonder to what extent selection committees for both football and basketball take into consideration "outside" factors beyond win/loss records and strength of schedule.

It's often been discussed whether in basketball a late season injury to a key player in either sport should impact the selection process - my recollection is that committees generally tend to just go on the records. As a partisan Wisconsin football fan, I think the school got skunked when their only regular season losses were with Michigan and Ohio State and those games were played with key players out with injuries.

On this instance, you have to wonder whether there will any discussion that MSU would quite possibly still be undefeated had the officiating been better.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I often wonder to what extent selection committees for both football and basketball take into consideration "outside" factors beyond win/loss records and strength of schedule.

It's often been discussed whether in basketball a late season injury to a key player in either sport should impact the selection process - my recollection is that committees generally tend to just go on the records. As a partisan Wisconsin football fan, I think the school got skunked when their only regular season losses were with Michigan and Ohio State and those games were played with key players out with injuries.

On this instance, you have to wonder whether there will any discussion that MSU would quite possibly still be undefeated had the officiating been better.
The committee is human, which is both good and bad, meaning they probably take into account some things the shouldn't (revenge or Alumni affiliation) and skip others that they should (geography).
The one that gets the most traction/disagreement here from @vowelguy and others is also one I'm most curious about-TV ratings. I am surrounded at work by MD fans and they think the committee is going to screw then by sending out west to tangle with Washington who knocked them out last year.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The committee is human, which is both good and bad, meaning they probably take into account some things the shouldn't (revenge or Alumni affiliation) and skip others that they should (geography).
The one that gets the most traction/disagreement here from @vowelguy and others is also one I'm most curious about-TV ratings. I am surrounded at work by MD fans and they think the committee is going to screw then by sending out west to tangle with Washington who knocked them out last year.

So your Terrapin coworkers aren't confident their team can beat Washington?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So your Terrapin coworkers aren't confident their team can beat Washington?
Some are. All were sure they would beat UCONN. Last week I was handed a ticket to MD vs. Michigan and told that they weren't going to the game because it was going to be a blowout. I took the ticket (out of spite) when to the game and it was anything but. Comfroy is still taking flack for the UCONN loss and Brenda is being lobbied to get her out of the starting lineup.

Reaction Score
So we will have to defeat either Syracuse or LSU (7 and 8 seeds in its region), according to Charile Creme, then Arizona State, then Oregon State. That would be the line-up in order to get to the Final Four.

Looks good for another year in the FF!

Reaction Score
My arm is tired from patting myself on the back about Maryland.
I will also note that in the bracketology threads there were many who claimed that MD was a lock for a #1.

Not anymore, in fact given the low placement, its difficult to imagine Maryland rising any higher than a #2 seed. A lot of quality teams in front of them to have to jump over for that last #1 (assuming UConn, Baylor, and SC/MissSt are locks for the other 3 #1's).

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
It is interesting to think about what will happen to South Carolina and Mississippi State.

I initially thought that when Charlie Creme picked them both as one seeds, he may have been thinking that one of them deserved a one seed but was unable to determine which one deserve the one seed and would wait until last night's game to see who won. That's still a possibility, but clearly which of the two is better is even more unclear than before the game. South Carolina won, but at their place; even Dawn Staley said they don't win this away or on a neutral court. It's hard to imagine moving a team up in your estimation on a loss, but I think many people expected Mississippi State to get exposed and lose by a considerable margin.

If you thought both teams deserved a one seed before the game last night, you be hard-pressed to come up with a result that would better match that belief. A game that came down literally to the final possession, which might have turned out differently had a foul called been called differently, or for last-second shot had gone in. So maybe those who argue they both deserve the one seed will argue they still both deserve a one seed.

The contrary argument is that teams who deserve one seeds ought to be managed to score more than 64 points in the game, so maybe they both deserve to become two seeds.

They are likely to match up in the conference tournament championship. If they don't, by definition one will have lost earlier and probably knocked themselves out of the top line. If they do meet in the conference championship, the winner will have a strong case for a one seed but the loser a much weaker case.

Reaction Score
I believe Cteme does his bracket based on performance to date, not projecting where teams will finish. The committee top 16 is the same. Thus md still has time to impress the committee, say by crushing Ohio st. And the other teams all are capable of losing multiple games. But yes it will be very hard for MD to climb up.

The acc champ has th inside track on the 4th #1 IMHO. A PAC team running the table would also be in contention.

Reaction Score
If the committee can avoid it, they won't put two top-4 seeds from the same conference in the same regional.
Current top 16 has 5 PAC teams, hence the doubling.

But this top 16 is a challenge to bracket. With 5 PAC and 4 acc, every region has to have at least 1 from those 2 conferences. Oh and Kentucky needs (I believe) to be in the KY region. Try those constraints and putting together a balanced bracket, while also trying to keep teams near home. It's not easy.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Current top 16 has 5 PAC teams, hence the doubling.

But this top 16 is a challenge to bracket. With 5 PAC and 4 acc, every region has to have at least 1 from those 2 conferences. Oh and Kentucky needs (I believe) to be in the KY region. Try those constraints and putting together a balanced bracket, while also trying to keep teams near home. It's not easy.

Good point. For some reason I was thinking there were only 4 Pac-12 teams in the top 16, but of course ASU is the fifth.

It almost gives me a headache whenever I read all the criteria and constraints that the committee is supposed to juggle in making the brackets.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Does anyone else feel like there is not as much drama this year as expected? Like do we feel like there will be any new comers to the FF this year? I suppose Miss St possibly. I am leaning towards the idea that the tourney this year won't produce as many surprises as last year. I don't think whoever the 4 #1 seeds are they all make it to the FF together but I also don't think anyone currently ranked out of the top 16 does any real damage either. If anything I see a possible Cinderella in the mid-majors that might get some press in the initial rounds but that's about it. I loved Washington, Syracuse, & Oregon St run last year. Especially Washington they had the most ridiculous path to the FF.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Does anyone else feel like there is not as much drama this year as expected? Like do we feel like there will be any new comers to the FF this year? I suppose Miss St possibly. I am leaning towards the idea that the tourney this year won't produce as many surprises as last year. I don't think whoever the 4 #1 seeds are they all make it to the tourney but I also don't think anyone currently ranked out of the top 16 does any real damage either. If anything I see a possible Cinderella in the mid-majors that might get some press in the initial rounds but that's about it.

Where was the drama supposed to come from in January?

Last year, Notre Dame, South Carolina, and Baylor were all heavily favored to get to the Final Four. ND and SC each had lost to no one except UConn, and Baylor had lost only one game without Niya Johnson. And people thought that if there was going to be a spoiler to the #1 seeds, it would be Maryland.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom