Fire Benedict thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Fire Benedict thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Apologistas are in mid-season form already. Does anyone ever notice that most pro-Edsall arguments contain some version of "UConn sucks"?

We suck at football....is a fact, it isn't an opinion. We need someone to help us not suck before we can become great. Why do you disagree?

Reaction Score
I believe that Diaco was directly insubordinate to Benedict or darn close to it. He was coming back next year until he did something that got completely under Benedict's skin.

So in my opinion, it wasn't Burton or boosters who paid for the buyout. Benedict used athletic department funds. And he did it because he couldn't live with the alternative. An employee who dissed him him. And pissed him off.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I believe that Diaco was directly insubordinate to Benedict or darn close to it. He was coming back next year until he did something that got completely under Benedict's skin.

So in my opinion, it wasn't Burton or boosters who paid for the buyout. Benedict used athletic department funds. And he did it because he couldn't live with the alternative. An employee who dissed him him. And pissed him off.

God, this is mind-numbingly stupid.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Just who did you people think we were going to lure here? Did you watch this football team this past season? Instead of Welcome to the Jungle on third downs we should've been playing the Benny Hill theme

I'm not in the fire Benedict camp, unless he did this because some boosters wanted him to. That's a firing offense for any AD anywhere. I just think that anyone not named Randy Edsall would have been better than Randy Edsall. Not because Randy is a bad coach, he's mediocre, but because it further diminishes the perception of UConn football. I also think that the circumstances for his prior success at UConn have changed drastically. I think he's unlikely to be able to recruit as well, and he's no longer a name that interests high school talent. His failure at Maryland has left a mark, now transferred to UConn.

pj

Reaction Score
Firing Benedict is crazy, he has done an outstanding job by all accounts.

It's very disappointing if Edsall is the best we can do, but that may be the case. If so, then praise to Benedict for achieving the best available outcome.

My only concern with Edsall, who is a clear step up from PP and Diaco, is that he will be good enough that he cannot be fired, but not good enough to excite Connecticut fans and build a strong football program. We may have perpetual mediocrity.

Reaction Score

....honest to god that's about the most ridiculous thing I've read on this board today......which is truly amazing

Reaction Score
We are even more of a joke program that doesn't take football seriously with this move, in the eyes of the world. Few hires could have been worse from a perception perspective.
The fact he'd come back and be the lowest paid coach in the AAC actually makes us look good. But he needs to succeed.

Reaction Score
Maryland fans seem to be the majority of people roasting us on social media. Do they not realize he had a good track record while at UConn? We couldn't care less that he screwed them up.

Reaction Score
Before Edsall left for MD many were saying if he stayed at UConn he would have a job for life and the field would be named after him when he retired.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Apologistas are in mid-season form already. Does anyone ever notice that most pro-Edsall arguments contain some version of "UConn sucks"?

Remember when you said we couldn't do worse than Edsall? Good times.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Honestly, the time has to come to become a FCS football school and get back into the Big East. At least that way maybe we can salvage our basketball program before that becomes as laughable as our football team!
Hand in your UConn fan card.

Reaction Score
Before Edsall left for MD many were saying if he stayed at UConn he would have a job for life and the field would be named after him when he retired.
what's funny is a lot of people were pissed at how he left for MD. I'm guessing a lot of those same people are now pissed that we hired him back.

if he's such a bad coach, why care when he left for his "dream job"? you can't have it both ways. Either you can think he's a bad coach, or you can be pissed at him for leaving.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
yeah wtf. there were so many great options.

Jim Harbaugh
Bill Belichick
Nick Saban
Bear Bryant
John Madden
Phil Jackson
Coach Carter

I could do this job better in my sleep
I wanted either Tom Landry or Vince Lombardi!

Reaction Score
All the negative comments remind me why CT is a great place to be from.

I was at ND game. I was at Michigan game. I was at Fiesta Bowl. Great memories.

So many forget that Randy didn't suck, Hathaway and other Administration, and CT high school coaches sucked. And when he left, the big push to get a CT guy to coach so all the inward looking folks in CT would feel good... well that worked out well.

Same idiots who walked away from the 6 game home and away with ND because they wouldn't play at our little stadium in East Hartford. Wouldn't we all love to have a do over on that one.

My suggestion to all the negative people is this. Don't renew your season tickets. And when the team starts winning again we will charge you double to get back in.

Reaction Score
If a major donor did find the buyout and asked for Edsall, we have a very simple minded donor with very little football sense. If you pay that much money wouldn't you offer up enough for a big time hire? Also if they requested Edsall then Benedict is nothing more than a puppet to said donor

Reaction Score
Honestly, the time has to come to become a FCS football school and get back into the Big East. At least that way maybe we can salvage our basketball program before that becomes as laughable as our football team!
That's your best recommendation? knowing (a) It ain't happening; (b) You know it wouldn't work for many reasons incl.: 1. Major donors would not support like they do, 2. Fans would not show even to today's poor numbers, 3. TV money would be negligible, etc., (c) Other sports would be adversely effected, (d) Even the academic impact of such a move would cause a drop in applications leading to lost opportunities to attract some of the quality students that otherwise would apply. Gotta walk the dog, thanks for your thoughts though, somebody had to say it!

Reaction Score
That is on the man who runs the hoops program and nothing more! A man who by the way was hand picked by the program god almighty as his successor!

C

chiller99.5

Maryland fans seem to be the majority of people roasting us on social media. Do they not realize he had a good track record while at UConn? We couldn't care less that he screwed them up.
Its not the fact he "screwed them up" its clear he was in way over his head at Maryland with a much tougher schedule and couldnt feast on mainly cupcake

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
5258651_700b.jpg

Reaction Score
I think that was me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99