Fire Benedict thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fire Benedict thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Randy Edsall is far better than Diaco, probably even with Kill as OC. Be real. Edsall is going to have to let the offense flow on it's own. We are going to need a genius OC. At least Randy has proven he can identify some.

Reaction Score
Didn't Benedict(Arnold) say something about the team needing to score more points to keep up with the league and the times? And then he hires a defensive coach that bailed on the school. How f----ng stupid is that?

Reaction Score
Didn't Benedict(Arnold) say something about the team needing to score more points to keep up with the league and the times? And then he hires a defensive coach that bailed on the school. How f----ng stupid is that?
It means a genius OC will likely be given free reigns. One could hope.

Reaction Score
I'm severely disappointed in this hire...and I'm also interested to see how many people jump back on the bandwagon hooting and hollering how we won when he was here and how he will bring this team to bowls again...and if it doesn't happen OR if he leaves again for the first P-5 job that comes his way...how long until they jump back off. Myself...as far as I'm concerned I'm done...my wife she doesn't want to stop getting tickets because as she said to me "what if they win again and we are on the outside looking in". Interesting times and conversations at the dinner table the next few days that is for sure.

Reaction Score
I'm a UCONN fan but not a football fan at any level. So I really don't know what to make of this and have no opinion good or bad. But it does seem to me they could have spent a bit more time conducting a search, to be sure there wasn't a better option.
The one thing I do know is, this will not be taken well by UCONN fans, even if he is an OK choice in the end. So why rush into it and guarantee yourself a negative attitude from the fans right off the bat?

Reaction Score
I suppose the DB was only given the money by boosters if he hired Randy. Is Randy better than diaco, yes, but this is a major letdown.

Reaction Score
I think he should be fired for pretty much ending any hope that UConn will ever be considered for a P-5 invite. Edsall couldn't do it in the watered down Big East and at best you'll see a bunch of 7-5 records and crappy bowl invites. Thanks Benedict(Arnold). You screwed this school but good.

That's absurd. The only reason everyone here expected to get a P-5 invite is because of what Edsall accomplished while he was here.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It's gonna be so weird seeing him not in that uglyass block C hoodie. Think AD David Benedict and Nike let him rock that?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I think jrazz has it right - Money played a role in moving Edsall up the short list, but I'd have to think that DB sniffed around on Moorehead first and was rebuffed.
I'm sure we'll find out the backstory soon.
Maybe Edsall agreed to work for free??? I'd give him an incentive-laden contract based on actual results on the field. Admissions had better lighten admission standards as well.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
yeah wtf. there were so many great options.

Jim Harbaugh
Bill Belichick
Nick Saban
Bear Bryant
John Madden
Phil Jackson
Coach Carter

I could do this job better in my sleep

Jim Calhoun is out there to

Reaction Score
Major disappointment if it is Edsall again. Sad day for UConn football. We are back to boring ass football. Yeah Edsall is better than Diaco, but we will be medicore and probably won't ever sniff any kind of 10-2 type of season.

Will this guy bring in a great OC? Will he be like last time and handcuffed guys like Moorehead? Don't know how much more of that RRPP I can take.

Reaction Score
Major disappointment if it is Edsall again. Sad day for UConn football. We are back to boring ass football. Yeah Edsall is better than Diaco, but we will be medicore and probably won't ever sniff any kind of 10-2 type of season.

Will this guy bring in a great OC? Will he be like last time and handcuffed guys like Moorehead? Don't know how much more of that RRPP I can take.
Compared to the last 6 years, the HCRE offense looked like a well oiled machine

Jim Calhoun is out there to
True. I also forgot Gordon Bombay.

Reaction Score
another theory for the haters:
Benedict was sniffing around for buyout money, but was told RE had to be attached and Benedict passed
Benedict tells Diaco he's staying but needs a new OC and wants to be a part of the process. DB brings in Kill and lets him meet up with Diaco. Diaco says no. DB is ripped.
DB picks up the phone and says fine, give me your loot. I'll get Edsall (possibly with the caveat that only if Moorehead passes on the job first).

Can you really blame DB if this was the case? I couldn't stomach one more year of Diaco especially if he didn't want to use Kill as the OC - I'd be terrified to see who he'd pick

Very reasonable thought process and quite possible that this is exactly what happened.

Remember with Football, we are working with some limited funds and don't have the bank that some of the other candidates would have required.

Reaction Score
I think he should be fired for pretty much ending any hope that UConn will ever be considered for a P-5 invite. Edsall couldn't do it in the watered down Big East and at best you'll see a bunch of 7-5 records and crappy bowl invites. Thanks Benedict(Arnold). You screwed this school but good.

7-5 and crappy bowl invites is far better than what we have had.
I know its not P5, but at least its something that would make winter interesting, as far as our College Football is concerned.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I'm a UCONN fan but not a football fan at any level. So I really don't know what to make of this and have no opinion good or bad. But it does seem to me they could have spent a bit more time conducting a search, to be sure there wasn't a better option.
The one thing I do know is, this will not be taken well by UCONN fans, even if he is an OK choice in the end. So why rush into it and guarantee yourself a negative attitude from the fans right off the bat?

They couldn't because its private money and private money available for Edsall

Reaction Score
I love when you post because we know it's going to be something really stupid.

How about this is what the boosters who just ponied up $3M in cash wanted? Moorehead was plan A, Edsall plan B. It's that simple.
You're both right, nobody wanted to come here and this is what the money people wanted. Social media is rousting us right now.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
7-5 and crappy bowl invites is far better than we have had.
I know it snot P5, but at least its something that would make winter interesting as far as our College Football is concerned.
You've got to walk before you run and stand before your walk. I'm tired of lying on the ground and being trod on. How ironic the firing/and hiring were pretty much at the winter solitice. From here on in every day is going be a little brighter.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You're both right, nobody wanted to come here and this is what the money people wanted. Social media is rousting us right now.

We are even more of a joke program that doesn't take football seriously with this move, in the eyes of the world. Few hires could have been worse from a perception perspective.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
What is wrong with some of you people, actually. Firing Benedict? Randy Edsall only did good while he was here as a coach. Brought this program out of nowhere to some level of relevancy. Yeah the way he handled it in the end sucked, get over it, he even acknowledged he handled it poorly. And, yes, it didn't work out at Maryland.

But he is more than capable to bringing this program back above mediocrity and at least making them watchable again. It's a safe pick. Pasqualoni and Diaco were more risky picks than Edsall 2.0. And you can get out of the clouds if you think we were getting Les Miles. Joe Moorhead was never going to leave a championship caliber offense when he could be towards the top of the list for many high profile gigs after next season.

I think you guys are in denial that this is a safe pick, and are just salty we didn't get some high profile national coach. It's hard to get a high profile coach when you are a bad team in an average conference.

Reaction Score
at best you'll see a bunch of 7-5 records and crappy bowl invites. Thanks Benedict(Arnold). You screwed this school but good.

We are even more of a joke program that doesn't take football seriously with this move, in the eyes of the world. Few hires could have been worse from a perception perspective.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Just who did you people think we were going to lure here? Did you watch this football team this past season? Instead of Welcome to the Jungle on third downs we should've been playing the Benny Hill theme

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Why some people think a school that hired PP and BD successively should be in the running for any big name HC is wild. We are currently a dumpster fire and we need a coach (RE) that can get us back to being less of a dumpster fire before we are ever in the running for nationally well regarded coach.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why some people think a school that hired PP and BD successively should be in the running for any big name HC is wild. We are currently a dumpster fire and we need a coach (RE) that can get us back to being less of a dumpster fire before we are ever in the running for nationally well regarded coach.

Apologistas are in mid-season form already. Does anyone ever notice that most pro-Edsall arguments contain some version of "UConn sucks"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom