Fiesta Bowl | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Fiesta Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Actually its better if he doesn't. It will make the American appear stronger with him in it. And he represents a good test for the other AAC teams. I like good football and great football better. Look at Vanderbilt in the SEC. They are happier playing the level of competition they play versus being in a league that they could dominate....and no I am not implying hte AAC here, however, if UConn football fans want to see us win against generally inferior competition, then I suggest watching CCSU. I am a firm believer that the stiffer your competition the better your program will be and the faster it will grow.

I would rather take a weaker UCF and a win. Vanderbilt is happily banking millions in the SEC, win or lose. What we need is double digit wins and years like UCF had this year. They had a good OOC record and beat up on a weak AAC, with a good win over Louisville.

The AAC is going to have 1-2 ranked teams a year. It's going to happen. But I am really only worried about UConn, and UConn's issues. I look at it as a race to escape Alcatraz or something. And we are not off to a good start.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I touted UCF in early September because of Bortles and Johnson. I was ridiculed for the idea. A few people (3 of them) thought it was preposterous that UCF would come close to beating Louisville. UCF's year did not surprise me.[/quote]
I just read CBS' article about UCF's win. Couldn't help but notice this little bombshell (written by the Wire so I'm guessing that it is on every national wire article)…

The matchup was projected to be like the 2011 Fiesta Bowl, when mighty Oklahoma rolled over Connecticut 48-20.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...orida-shocks-baylor-in-wild-fiesta-bowl-upset

Big difference between an 11-1 team and a 8-4 team.

Reaction Score
Was anyone else a little peeved at how they kept bringing up the O'Leary resume issue? That was a looong time ago. There has been a ton of ground covered since then, and Notre Dame probably would have been better off holding on to him.

Reaction Score
I just read CBS' article about UCF's win. Couldn't help but notice this little bombshell (written by the Wire so I'm guessing that it is on every national wire article)…

The matchup was projected to be like the 2011 Fiesta Bowl, when mighty Oklahoma rolled over Connecticut 48-20.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...orida-shocks-baylor-in-wild-fiesta-bowl-upset

Gee, wasn't that the same year that Stanford beat mighty Virginia Tech 40-12 in the Rose Bowl. Notice it is the exact point differential of the OK-UConn game. Was it only year later that WVU beat Clemson 70-33 in the Orange Bowl. Blow outs happen.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Gee, wasn't that the same year that Stanford beat mighty Virginia Tech 40-12 in the Rose Bowl. Notice it is the exact point differential of the OK-UConn game. Was it only year later that WVU beat Clemson 70-33 in the Orange Bowl. Blow outs happen.

Yeah, but those blowouts don't fit the narrative. Never let facts get in the way of a storyline.

Reaction Score

They only remember when we lose because it fits the conventional wisdom. College football is one of the least fact based enterprises out there.

Reaction Score
newsflash, and some reality. Uconn bb wasn't going undefeated until they wind up in a better conference. please don't turn every loss into a referendum on the demise of uconn bb.

You're right. We'll wait about 5 years. I'm sure by then the AAC will resemble the Big East in hoops.

Reaction Score
Listening to Sirius-XM channel 91 this morning, the sub-host for Tim Brando said that Baylor looked distracted last night. He then went on to report that the , TX newspaper reported yesterday that Art Briles would sit down after the Fiesta Bowl with Bevo admins. &, if offered, would accept the Texas coaching position. And so begins the excuse making for last night's performance.

Reaction Score
The real test will come with the final rankings. Will UCF be ranked in the top 10? Will they even be ranked above Baylor? ???

Reaction Score
Every big win over an OOC team certainly helps the perception of the league as a whole.

UCF beat Penn state, lost by 3 points to USC, and beat Baylor (who beat Texas)......if you think they won't be noticed you're nutts.

Probably only AAC team billed with a top ranking pre-season next year. If they get picked for a new conference home down the road.....good for them.....they have had a history of competing with and beating some of the P-5 even while in the C-USA......because of fertile recruiting grounds. What is left in Florida after the P-5 get their annual recruit commitments is still pretty damn good.

Go back 3 years when conference expansion was hot in the BE. I know for a fact that WVU, Pitt, and Syracuse wanted to add UCF.......big east counters with "lets get Villanova to upgrade". Their fans were really pissed. Real small time thinking on the part of the BE.

Nobody is going to hand any of the AAC members a chance to upgrade just because of name. You've got to win....and win big against meaningful teams..... a lot.

Coach Bob D thinks this could be a good conference. I don't think he left Notre Dame to improve his coaching resume "in a minor league" I certainly don't think Bob D was rooting against any of our conference mates in these bowl contests. I don't thing Coach BD was anticipating upgrading UConn to a level so that it could crush our teammates when the perception of those teams is not better than the "Stoneybrooks, URI's, Umass, "

I will root for all AAC teams to "crush" P-5 teams as we move forward together as a league. And it certainly means a lot more if we crush our ACC opponents when they are good.

UConn has its choice.....be good in a good conference, or be good in a lousy conference.......I choose the former!

Go UConn.....Go AAC......and everyone beat the crap out of the OOC competition next year. No more small time thinking for our league as it once was in the old BE!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If we're just talking Conference Realignment profiles, if you don't think UCONN, as a whole, is clearly head and shoulders above every single school in the AAC, then we have a LOOOOOOONG way to go. As a complete body of work, we best every single one of these sh1tty schools in terms of academic reputation/growth, demographic footprint, athletic budget, national brand appeal, and athletic success. So if UCF wins this game and ESPiN decides to fall in love with them, guess what the new AAC mantra becomes? "It's too bad UCF plays in a garbage conference. They deserve better." Then what happens? FSU and Clemson decide that they need to fill out their conference to get to 16 and decide to add the latest ESPiN football sweetheart (we've seen this happen before) and wait for Notre Dame. And if friggin' UCF gets tapped out of the AAC before UCONN because they become some darling program like Louisville became, then I'll go UCONN postal.

Please note: this CR cycle has turned me into a very cynical and grumpy old man. I'm incredibly proud to be a UCONN alum and fan and it drives me nuts to see schools get tapped ahead of UCONN or be grandfathered in a P5 conference that I think doesn't offer what UCONN offers. Perhaps my UCONN colored glasses are too blue, but CR has made it this way. If it's not UCONN, it's crap.
Hey I totally hear you and absolutely agree that UConn is better off than these schools. However, Louisville beat us out proving, like you said, it's all about connections and public perception at that time. I don't think UCF is competing with us for a spot in a conference we are going to be in so I don't mind cheering for them. If they go anywhere it's the Big 12 and we are not a candidate for that conference, nor would I want us there except for the fact that we'd be P5.

I wish college sports could go back to the days of rivals and cheering for your conference. However, due to CR, it's every school for themself outside of the P5 and within the P5 it's all about, "Who the hell are you and why should I care that your here?" It blows and will eventually be college footballs downfall but that's way down the line and probably not in our lifetime.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It means UCF had a lot of fans watching in Orlando. Also makes them a good candidate for the Big 12.

Art, I don't know if you are kidding or not. A locality having it's highest bowl rating ever for the 1st time the home team plays in a prime bowl game doesn't sound like that big a deal, it seems more like something to be expected. And is a 17.4 all that big, relatively speaking? I'm asking here, I don't know. But it doesn't like a knock your socks off number to me.

Reaction Score
Art, I don't know if you are kidding or not. A locality having it's highest bowl rating ever for the 1st time the home team plays in a prime bowl game doesn't sound like that big a deal, it seems more like something to be expected. And is a 17.4 all that big, relatively speaking? I'm asking here, I don't know. But it doesn't like a knock your socks off number to me.

W - My OP was due to the fact I was reading the thread when the tweet crossed my feed and the " highest ESPN bowl rating ever in that market" caught my attention. I'm not a TV rating guru.

The Rose Bowl is knock your socks off #'s. This provides some perspective. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/ente...h-fiesta-bowl-ratings-20140102,0,6801601.post

Can't find the "local market ratings" from our Fiesta Bowl for comparison, but from a national comparison - last night was a 7.1 overnight rating versus a 6.2 for the UConn/Oklahoma game.

Reaction Score

My point was if UCF plays in a meaningful game they have a fan base that is interested in them. I can't imagine BCU would get anywhere near those numbers in Boston. But, what do I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom