Fagnano it is | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Fagnano it is

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Rosa is the starting RB? I'm devastated as I thought Houston looked better and JM said he was 3rd string. I resign my fandom. I no longer trust the coaches to do what's best for this team. So did I win the BY today for stupidity? I was really trying.
I seriously doubt the coaching staff would start any player other than the one who gives us the best chance to succeed. The days of RE2.0 playing his guys over better players is over. I even wonder how anyone could hope for 1 QB over another. I basically have never seen either one play, so how the h-e-double hockey sticks would I, or pretty much anyone else, know how good they are to form an opinion? Rationally speaking (heresy), Fagnano has a LOT more game reps and more familiarity with the system. You had to figure he was the leader in the clubhouse on day 1.
That depth chart was post-spring, so Rosa might well still be 3rd going into the season.... Pretty sure it's gonna be a committee regardless.

Reaction Score
Rosa is the starting RB? I'm devastated as I thought Houston looked better and JM said he was 3rd string. I resign my fandom. I no longer trust the coaches to do what's best for this team. So did I win the BY today for stupidity? I was really trying.
I seriously doubt the coaching staff would start any player other than the one who gives us the best chance to succeed. The days of RE2.0 playing his guys over better players is over. I even wonder how anyone could hope for 1 QB over another. I basically have never seen either one play, so how the h-e-double hockey sticks would I, or pretty much anyone else, know how good they are to form an opinion? Rationally speaking (heresy), Fagnano has a LOT more game reps and more familiarity with the system. You had to figure he was the leader in the clubhouse on day 1.
If last year is any indicator , then we know the official depth chart doesn't mean much other than maybe the quarterback.

Reaction Score
I'm going on record and saying I think people will be surprised. People here are upset because of FCS and stats and an awful spring game and nothing else to evaluate Fagnano on.. but watch the BC game and all the news I've heard from those who saw practice ... He was by far the best QB and heading into this fall camp vs. our former season starter he kept it close... and apparently passed him ...that means something.
From what you heard, how did ZT compare to Fagnano/Roberson? Im hoping there was clear separation.

Reaction Score
I'm not one of your "other folks"; I thought he was phenomenal last year with an undersized true freshman QB (and no backup) and a receiving corps that didn't help much. Last year he was working with smoke and mirrors, hoping he has some tools this year.
That anyone could have any worries about the coaching when we did enough on O to get through 6 wins almost without any healthy skill players on offense for the entire season is beyond me. We did a phenomenal job squeezing wins out of limited talent at the offensive skill positions.

Reaction Score
This is my thought exactly. Charlton gets his "guy" and I don't think thats a good thing, mostly because I don't think Charlton showed much promise last year. We're really banking the entire offense on a mediocre-at-best FCS offensive tandem? Sure, I know Charlton and Fagnano had success together at Maine, but it's also Maine. Would rather have the Holy Cross QB/OC combo that torched us at The Rent a few years ago than the scrubs from Maine.

Out of all the amazing decisions of the Mora era so far, hiring Charlton/going with Fagnano are by far the most baffling. He knows more than I do so hoping for the best!
Charlton didn’t show much progress last year? On a team whose run game was stellar and got to 6 wins? Sure the pass game was limited, but I think this was exactly a result of a coordinator doing his job and knowing what he had in order to limit turnovers. I think the opposite, he hasn’t shown us anywhere near what he has nor what he’s picked up just a year under mora.

Reaction Score
heTThis.
I’m also thinking in a close call Charlton gave it to the guy he likely promised it to. The question for me is more about Charlton than the QB. There’s an “I’m not sure” feeling about him as the OC that I also sense from other folks. Yes Roberson is injury prone but he played in big settings at Penn St and I was looking forward to watching his dual threat ability as a healthy guy. Don’t get me wrong. I’ll be rooting hard for Fagnano to succeed but I was surprised.

I think Charlton was terrific last year a huge improvement over what we had previously. The QB play was bad but that was expected given we had to go with a true freshman and our top WR's were injured. The running game scheme was the best we have ever seen at UCONN.

I also believe Fagnano won the job. He was not gifted it by Charlton, that is nonsense.

The takes from some on this board are laughable. The piss poor reactions just because the guy you thought would win the job didn't win it. As if any of you people were privy to the practices. Nobody gives a crap about your hunches and I'm not speaking about you Nostical

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm a basketball guy, but criticizing a coach's personnel decisions is a silly thing to do 90% of the time in my experience. We just don't have the information to make that call. Mora has been in every practice evaluating these guys with his, what, 35 years of coaching experience?

And fans who saw a few tweets from 3 open practices and a spring game think they have enough information to criticize. Good grief.

This thread is the football boards equivalent of the MBB posters Pretending they have a better scout on Samson Johnson as a basketball player than Hurley!

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Fagnano’s experience im sure played a big part in the decision… I think We are going to see a lot of ..Fagnano to Joly completions this year… big target like Joly with the experience of Fagnano..unstoppable
If the coaches believe that they can count on 30 (32 is the median, UConn averaged 21) relatively error-free passes a game, combined with our proficient running attack, that will be a pretty big improvement.

Reaction Score
I guess Phil Steele knew he had the inside track?

"Earning a spot on the Preseason All-Independent second team was r-junior wide receiver Kevan Clercius (Montreal, QC), r-junior defensive lineman Dal'mont Gourdine (North Charleston, SC), r-junior offensive lineman Valentin Senn (Volders, Austria), senior quarterback Joseph Fagnano (Williamsport, PA) and sophomore running back and kick returner Victor Rosa (Bristol, CT). "
Phil Steele has the inside track from almost all college HCs. My guess is if Steele pinned him as the starter before camp, it was clear Mora & staff were leaning his way to begin with, and that means injury to Roberson didnt play a factor.

Fangano must be the best QB we got.

Reaction Score
This is my thought exactly. Charlton gets his "guy" and I don't think thats a good thing, mostly because I don't think Charlton showed much promise last year. We're really banking the entire offense on a mediocre-at-best FCS offensive tandem? Sure, I know Charlton and Fagnano had success together at Maine, but it's also Maine. Would rather have the Holy Cross QB/OC combo that torched us at The Rent a few years ago than the scrubs from Maine.

Out of all the amazing decisions of the Mora era so far, hiring Charlton/going with Fagnano are by far the most baffling. He knows more than I do so hoping for the best!
You are right about one thing. He knows more than you do!!

Reaction Score
Phil Steele has the inside track from almost all college HCs. My guess is if Steele pinned him as the starter before camp, it was clear Mora & staff were leaning his way to begin with, and that means injury to Roberson didnt play a factor.

Fangano must be the best QB we got.

Phil watches literally every FBS game that is available and probably most of the FCS too. My guess is he saw Fagnano play and knew he was good and he just rated him.

Reaction Score
They wouldn't have named him starter unless he has got something going for him. I trust Mora.

Exactly, It's Mora's decision and God help anyone who doesn't trust Mora at this point. Probably the same people who didn't think Hurley could coach until he shoved a championship trophy up their arses.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This.
I’m also thinking in a close call Charlton gave it to the guy he likely promised it to. The question for me is more about Charlton than the QB. There’s an “I’m not sure” feeling about him as the OC that I also sense from other folks.
I'm surprised by your buying into the hooey.

Reaction Score
The takes from some on this board are laughable. The piss poor reactions just because the guy you thought would win the job didn't win it.
I don’t think the reactions are because “the guy we thought would win the job didn’t. I don’t recall one local media guy (not Phil Steele) who watched practice and decisively said Fagnano would be the guy, or who didn’t think a healthy Roberson would be the guy. I’m thrilled that the best QB won the job. I hope he and Charlton are the surprise of FBS football. Opinions are varied on this board, both in content and form. That’s what makes it interesting. I want to hear a “laughable” point of view. I love Waquoit’s pointed brevity, Palatine’s pomposity and enjoy Bizlaw‘s disdain. And there are so many others. But at the end of the day, we all want the Huskies to surprise the oddsmakers and start strong vs NC St.

Reaction Score
Well, I was only moderately surprised. But I am guessing something unplanned happened. An MRI or something. The rollout was really bungled and suggested a change in direction at the last moment. We will know more when the NCST 2 deep comes out if not before. Is TR still throwing in practice?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom