Fagnano it is | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Fagnano it is

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Feel bad for Zion. Got thrown into the fire as a true freshman, best 2 receivers go down before game 2, and he still guts out some solid performances considering that context. Hope this isn’t the end of his story here.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Maybe Maine wasn’t that good. Tim Boyle couldn’t play at UConn and is in nfl. It is about the talent around you unless you are a great QB.

It comes down to can you run the offense around you. If Fangnano takes care of the ball and passes, what ya gonna do?
The legend of Tim Boyle on this board is fascinating. You’d think he’s ever had a good season playing football the way people mention him here.

Reaction Score
The legend of Tim Boyle on this board is fascinating. You’d think he’s ever had a good season playing football the way people mention him here.

Agreed. Guy put up 1 touchdown to 13 INTs at UConn, and then went to Eastern Kentucky and had a bad season there. He was one of the worst QBs I've ever seen in a UConn uniform

Reaction Score
He did, but Eric Watts continually shoved the RT into him. Watts single handedly distorted any honest assessment of Fagnano's performance that day.
I love Eric Watts. He and Pryce Yates are an absolute joy to watch. Very much looking forward to seeing them play again this year.

Reaction Score
I absolutely thought Roberson was the guy. But I also don’t think Fagnano transferred unless he was reasonably sure the job was his. I’m fine with it , but it sort of feels like Charlton picked his guy.

Reaction Score
Feel bad for Zion. Got thrown into the fire as a true freshman, best 2 receivers go down before game 2, and he still guts out some solid performances considering that context. Hope this isn’t the end of his story here.
His time will come if he stays. It may be brief - one season - but it’ll come. After JF and TR move on he maybe he gets a year (where I expect he’ll be very good) before McDonald eclipses him.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Guy put up 1 touchdown to 13 INTs at UConn, and then went to Eastern Kentucky and had a bad season there. He was one of the worst QBs I've ever seen in a UConn uniform
There were circumstances for sure but the fact is he wasn’t very good when he was here and the was the back up at Eastern Kentucky. I’m not sure he was the worst quarterback we ever had, but he was far from great.

Reaction Score
Really? How does a four year starter from Maine have two additional years? I get the covid year is one.
From The UConn Blog today: "He came to UConn having heavy familiarity with offensive coordinator Nick Charlton’s system and boasting a decorated career as the three-year starter for the FCS Black Bears. Fagnano has two years of eligibility remaining."

The NCAA rule on the extra Covid Year states: All student-athletes whose 2020-2021 season was impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic will now get 6 years to compete in 4 full seasons of their sport in college.

The Spring 2021 football season at Maine was not a full season as they only played 4 games. Fagnano started all 4 of those games that year, but it was not a full season, thus he has 2 years of eligibility left.

Reaction Score
This is my thought exactly. Charlton gets his "guy" and I don't think thats a good thing, mostly because I don't think Charlton showed much promise last year. We're really banking the entire offense on a mediocre-at-best FCS offensive tandem? Sure, I know Charlton and Fagnano had success together at Maine, but it's also Maine. Would rather have the Holy Cross QB/OC combo that torched us at The Rent a few years ago than the scrubs from Maine.

Out of all the amazing decisions of the Mora era so far, hiring Charlton/going with Fagnano are by far the most baffling. He knows more than I do so hoping for the best!
Thabeet stands alone
Thabeet stands alone
Hi-ho, the derry-o
Thabeet stands alone

Reaction Score
I guess Phil Steele knew he had the inside track?

"Earning a spot on the Preseason All-Independent second team was r-junior wide receiver Kevan Clercius (Montreal, QC), r-junior defensive lineman Dal'mont Gourdine (North Charleston, SC), r-junior offensive lineman Valentin Senn (Volders, Austria), senior quarterback Joseph Fagnano (Williamsport, PA) and sophomore running back and kick returner Victor Rosa (Bristol, CT). "
Athlon too...;)

Reaction Score
Absolutely gutted here. I trust Mora, but I really wanted it to be Roberson or Turner. Either would seemingly offer us more than a year at the position, better dual threat options, and give us more hope for future growth. I very much hope to be proven wrong and that Fagnano shines against NCST.
Fagnano has 2 years of eligibility
Left

Reaction Score
I absolutely thought Roberson was the guy. But I also don’t think Fagnano transferred unless he was reasonably sure the job was his. I’m fine with it , but it sort of feels like Charlton picked his guy.
This.
I’m also thinking in a close call Charlton gave it to the guy he likely promised it to. The question for me is more about Charlton than the QB. There’s an “I’m not sure” feeling about him as the OC that I also sense from other folks. Yes Roberson is injury prone but he played in big settings at Penn St and I was looking forward to watching his dual threat ability as a healthy guy. Don’t get me wrong. I’ll be rooting hard for Fagnano to succeed but I was surprised.

Reaction Score
This.
I’m also thinking in a close call Charlton gave it to the guy he likely promised it to. The question for me is more about Charlton than the QB. There’s an “I’m not sure” feeling about him as the OC that I also sense from other folks. Yes Roberson is injury prone but he played in big settings at Penn St and I was looking forward to watching his dual threat ability as a healthy guy. Don’t get me wrong. I’ll be rooting hard for Fagnano to succeed but I was surprised.
How much did he "play" in these big settings?

Reaction Score
he also had a lot of totally crap performances and we lauded him for passes that others can also make. He also doesn't have the speed that people here think is just one step away. If he develops it, great, but he sure as heck didn't have any of those wheels last year.

Reaction Score
christ UMass 35-10???
also funny how this games camera was somehow better than ESPNs when we played FIU lolll
Fahn-yan-oh ? I mean that's easier and less prone to "oopsies" than I thought it should be pronounced

edit: I can see replacing the swear word with alternatives like "turnbuckle" but does "oh (questionmark)" have to become "D'oh"

edit #2: I like how they need #flagship on their sideline advertising. Makes this River Hawk giggle. ZooMass Clownworst.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Athlon too...;)

At end of spring practices, I think it's safe to say there would still be legitimate questions regarding Roberson's recovery from the ACL surgery. I don't think this was some preordained situation and everything we were told by the coaches during fall camp was a ruse.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Rosa is the starting RB? I'm devastated as I thought Houston looked better and JM said he was 3rd string. I resign my fandom. I no longer trust the coaches to do what's best for this team. So did I win the BY today for stupidity? I was really trying.
I seriously doubt the coaching staff would start any player other than the one who gives us the best chance to succeed. The days of RE2.0 playing his guys over better players is over. I even wonder how anyone could hope for 1 QB over another. I basically have never seen either one play, so how the h-e-double hockey sticks would I, or pretty much anyone else, know how good they are to form an opinion? Rationally speaking (heresy), Fagnano has a LOT more game reps and more familiarity with the system. You had to figure he was the leader in the clubhouse on day 1.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
video above vs. bc check out

play starts at 11:12 and another that starts at 29:45
Given the example of BC, I wonder who will have the better season - Fagnano or Jurkovic (who had his best year playing under OC Frank Cignetti, who's now with Pitt).

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
This.
I'm not one of your "other folks"; I thought he was phenomenal last year with an undersized true freshman QB (and no backup) and a receiving corps that didn't help much. Last year he was working with smoke and mirrors, hoping he has some tools this year.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
what a disaster of an announcement. almost worse than RE2.0. ALMOST
I trust the coaches and the plan. They've seen the players, know the strength and weakness, injuries, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom