Fagnano it is | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Fagnano it is

Reaction Score
I highly doubt that this kid was promised anything beyond the opportunity to compete for the starting job.

Does the fact that he has a few years in Charlton's system give him an advantage? Of course it does.

Does that fact that Roberson a) is not quite twelve months removed from an injury that normally takes at least a year to physically heal from and from many accounts, another couple of months to psychologically believe you are fully healed and b) has a new minor ailment that could well be the product of favoring his injured knee help? I imagine it did.

I personally believe that as it took this long for the starter to be announced, there really wasn't one guy who was clearly in the lead. I imagine we'll see a good amount from both Fagnano and Roberson this season.
Man, I hope we have 1 guy all year.

Reaction Score
I was thinking TR was the starter by all reports, but Charlton knows Fagnano and Mora has made great decisions so far.
Agree on Mora’s decision making. He got rid of Lou Spanos after recognizing the system on D wasn’t working and he took a chance on Justin Joly as a true freshman who was barely recruited out of high school.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
That anyone could have any worries about the coaching when we did enough on O to get through 6 wins almost without any healthy skill players on offense for the entire season is beyond me. We did a phenomenal job squeezing wins out of limited talent at the offensive skill positions.
could have easily had another win or two on top of that (ball state specifically), we are in such a great spot with our coaching staff I fully expect us to be much better than last season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is a reason the media showed up for an open practice only to be told to leave.
Jim likes to screw with those guys?

Reaction Score
Entering the 2022 season, 58 starting quarterbacks in the FBS are transfers (47.9%). It seems certain this is the new norm in college football.

So says 24/7 sports. Sure have a better depth in QB room this year with 3 kids fighting for playing time before get to Cale and then the freshman. Last year the freshman was next man up.

Quick way to lose a team is to not pick a starting QB that shows the best, if all were close have to pick one and let it play out. Fagnano seems like he's aggressive in running, next man/men better be ready to step in as running QB's take a lot of hits.

Reaction Score
Do you think that just maybe, a lack of skill position players had something to do with that? Just maybe?
We played last year without our #1 QB, without our 1 and 2 TBS and without our #3 TB for half the year and without our two top WRs. Yeah, we weren’t imaginative because the coaches weren’t up to it. Silly them, all they focused on was absorbing the injuries and going from 1 win to 6.

Reaction Score
Actually thought Super Joe would get the nod. The fact that these coaches watch them every day plus hours of tape / practice tape...they know what they see. We don't know who is doing a good job reading defenses....we don't know is studying and preparing....We don't know who's checking down at the right time and to the correct check down. Just because some have seen a Spring game or a practice doesn't give them much credibility. In Mora We Trust!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I know, but there are some who believe that crap.
One of the only plays he drew up for Hawk all year - and Hawk nailed it
And that ain't no crap

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
His time will come if he stays. It may be brief - one season - but it’ll come. After JF and TR move on he maybe he gets a year (where I expect he’ll be very good) before McDonald eclipses him.
Cole Welliver isn't coming to Storrs to sit and I think he was told he wouldn't.
Whomever plays this season is only keeping the starter's seat warm for CW
Regarding Fagnano - I have to believe he earned it but he is going to have a really short leash as will all this seasons QBs

Reaction Score
Look I am cheering for him- but he was absolutely terrible in the Spring “Game” they held and has proven to be somewhat limited in the accuracy department. He’s started 4 years in FCS and has 3 TOTAL games with 300 yards passing. I’m trying not to just box score scout and I’m sure we’ll run the ball, make short throws, move the chains, etc to eat clock but I am pretty shocked as I was almost certain this was going to be a purely depth add rather than a guy you trot out to start at QB against NC State

As a freshman QB in his first start vs Liberty:

Fagnano 25-37 for 445, 5 TDs, 1 int in close loss.

Yes FCS level, but he was very accurate (TD / int) ratio.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Including any postseason bowl miracles?

The only thing keeping us from a national championship is the college playoff selection system...

Reaction Score
could have easily had another win or two on top of that (ball state specifically), we are in such a great spot with our coaching staff I fully expect us to be much better than last season.
was ball state the one with the targeting no-call... christ that was rough... then there was the utah state pass interference call

Reaction Score
Quick way to lose a team is to not pick a starting QB that shows the best, if all were close have to pick one and let it play out. Fagnano seems like he's aggressive in running, next man/men better be ready to step in as running QB's take a lot of hits.

This is the absolute truth. The players know. They are there every day. One fast way to lose the trust of your squad is to play favorites and and sit the guy the team knows deserves the job.

This is true at every position not just QB.

Reaction Score
One fast way to lose the trust of your squad is to play favorites and and sit the guy the team knows deserves the job.
This is kind of off topic but speaking of playing favorites, did anyone else feel like that was going on when Mora kept using Millen later in the season after teams figured out what was going on there? I’m probably wrong but when he put Cale out there in the Liberty game I was really confused why

Reaction Score
This is kind of off topic but speaking of playing favorites, did anyone else feel like that was going on when Mora kept using Millen later in the season after teams figured out what was going on there? I’m probably wrong but when he put Cale out there in the Liberty game I was really confused why
I thought it was more because he was just sticking to the playbook. Zion wasn't producing much anyway. I'd blame most of the issues last season on a lack of healthy players, including QBs.

Reaction Score
In all of the highlights, I see a dude that is comfortable in the pocket, seems to have a good feel for the pressure, and is willing to take a hit if needed to get that ball out. That's a big skill for a college QB because we've seen more than a few QBs recently that hear the footsteps and don't let the play develop or where the game plan has to be specifically designed to get the ball out immediately.

Reaction Score
One of the only plays he drew up for Hawk all year

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

What team did you watch last year?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member