Everybody wants to fire HCPP - to replace with who? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Everybody wants to fire HCPP - to replace with who?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jim Tressel was an Asst at Syracuse then Ohio St BEFORE going to Akron...Brian Kelly came to Cincy from Western Michigan which is a MAC school! Those guys came to FBS level football head jobs with some kind of experience at the D-1A level...Tressel as an asst at OSU...Kelly as a head coach in the MAC.

Kelly was a barely .500 MAC coach. He made his name dominating at GVST. Tressel hadn't been a D-1 assistant in 15 years. Duffner had been a coordinator at the D-1A level.

Reaction Score
Kelly was a barely .500 MAC coach. He made his name dominating at GVST. Tressel hadn't been a D-1 assistant in 15 years. Duffner had been a coordinator at the D-1A level.
Yeah Duffner was DC at Cincinnati from 1977-1980 then he was DC at Holy Cross from 1981-1985 before being named HC.
Kelly was 4-7, 6-5, 9-4 at Central Michigan
10-3, 11-3, 12-0 at Cincy (with Dantonio's players)

Excalibur what do you want for this football program? I can tell you what I want as a 9 year season ticket holder...I want a coach that will come in here and be successful but I want him to have experience at winning on the highest level as a coach...experience at recruiting at this level.
Since you are so hung up on a D-2 or FCS guy who should we hire from that level. Give me some names....

Reaction Score
Depends on who it is....

It AMAZES me that some of you want to hand the keys to this program to a guy from a FCS or D-2 program who NEVER spent a day on a FBS staff! The NBE may nit be the SEC or B1G BUT it is a LOT better than the CAA! You all talk about finding the next Chip Kelly...Chip Kelly was offensive coordinator at Oregon for Mike Bellotti for 2 seasons before being named head coach by Belotti when he moved up to AD. 2 seasons of Big Boy football! Hathaway definitely made the wrong hire...but don't think handing the keys to some young hot coach from FCS or D-2 is gonna be shangri-la....if you do you should ask a Maryland fan how Mark Duffner worked out! From 86-91 Duffner was 60-5-1 as head coach at Holy Cross...a hot young coaching candidate. Hired at Maryland prior to the 92 season he was head coach at Maryland from 92-96 with a 20-35 record (13-27 in ACC). I can tell you first hand from going to a few games at MD during that time and from listening to my brother who went to every home game then as a student than Duffner was in DEEP over his head in making that jump...and his teams were poorly coached and poorly prepared. He also was not adapt at the recruiting game at that level! So thanks but no thanks...I don't need to see another Mark Duffner experiment here.

Reaction Score
I want to consider all qualified candidates and not dismiss a potentially qualified candidate because of an emotional reaction to someone else's bad hire.

Preferably, I'd like both -- someone with experience as an assistant at the BCS level, who has proven that he can run a program and win.

Reaction Score
I want to consider all qualified candidates and not dismiss a potentially qualified candidate because of an emotional reaction to someone else's bad hire.

Preferably, I'd like both -- someone with experience as an assistant at the BCS level, who has proven that he can run a program and win.

You and I are on the same page then...the only guy I don't want to see here is Rob Ambrose...I work with. guy who played at Towson and the stories he hears about him as an alum are not good!

Reaction Score
Please, please, please pin so a new thread is NOT created after each game... I beg you. It's hard to keep track of all the backstrokers over multiple loses.

Reaction Score
Posted this before in a previous thread:

Maybe I'm being biased, but Greg Roman would be an excellent choice. He's the current offensive coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers and held the same position under Jim Harbaugh at Stanford. Relatively young guy who wants to be a head coach badly. He interviewed for the Penn State job last year and was apparently a finalist. I can just about guarantee that someone is going to give him a HC job after this season and I think he would be a great fit.

http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/roman_greg00.html

Reaction Score
Up and coming MAC coach. We just need to hire someone that gives the fanbase HOPE for a better future.

No no no no no no no. No MAC anything. The MAC sucks. The word MAC should only be discussed in conjunction with what is for lunch. BIG BCS school offensive coordinator. Brent Pease for starters. Go from there.

Reaction Score
You and I are on the same page then...the only guy I don't want to see here is Rob Ambrose...I work with. guy who played at Towson and the stories he hears about him as an alum are not good!

My issue with Ambrose is not that he wouldn't be qualified, it's that he appears to be a total .

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We will not be able to land any big-name coaches on our coaching staff budget. But if money were less of an object, my list would include (in no particular order):

Eric Mangini - CT guy, Belichick disciple; young and incredibly intelligent; not sure how well he'd recruit but all he'd have to say to a kid is "NFL" and "Belichick" and that will open ears
Steve Addazio - not likely he would leave Temple for UConn (how said is that??), but it's definitely worth a tire kick because he's a local guy, great recruiter and MUCH better game coach than our current administration
Bobby Petrino - incredible baggage but you can't argue with the immediate shot in the arm that he brings his programs. Likely would leave in 2 years if successful but hopefully by then, UConn will be prominent again to attract the next coach
Tony Sporano - the mastermind of the wildcat offense shows me that he's innovative; CT guy
Kirby Smart - anybody in the Saban/Belichick tree needs to be considered even if he's a defensive guy; would need to be heavily compensated to lure him away from powerhouse Bama (or likely to be hired by Tennessee if Dooley is fired)
Chad Morris - watch Clemson's offense and tell me that doesn't get the blood pumping; young and could open recruiting grounds in the southeast
James Coley - FSU boasts some serious offensive firepower and would open recruiting in Florida
Gus Malzahn - not sure why he wasn't considered more in the last coaching search

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
for crying out loud some 1 call todd monken please before illinois gets him.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Monken or Sonny Dykes too

Reaction Score
One thing about Petrino and this is Bill King's line every time someone calls his show about him...he has ALWAYS played by NCAA rules! He has made some VERY bad decisions in his personal choices...but he can flat out coach! As far as the D-2 or 1AA guy...is they have never coached at this level I don't want to hear about them! And I don't think you will find them making the list of our AD. There is a BIG difference between 1AA and BCS level football...never mind D-2. If we go with that kind of a guy it is the sign that the white flag is being run up the flag pole regarding this program and where it is headed...what the future has in store. Chip Kelly was OC at Oregon first...he got to learn the differences between the CAA and the Pac-12. He wasn't just hired as head coach out there.

My only problem with Petrino is the way he left Atlanta. Arkansas is easy to recruit to. If he comes here, and finds he can't get his type of player, he is the kind of guy that might disappear in the middle of the night. I don't really care about the personal stuff. If somehow they can figure out a way to make sure he is committed, I'm ok with it.

Reaction Score
Sonny Dykes
Willy Taggart (although if UK doesn't hire him they are dumber than I thought)
Chad Morris
Guz Malzahn

Reaction Score
My only problem with Petrino is the way he left Atlanta. Arkansas is easy to recruit to. If he comes here, and finds he can't get his type of player, he is the kind of guy that might disappear in the middle of the night. I don't really care about the personal stuff. If somehow they can figure out a way to make sure he is committed, I'm ok with it.

Petrino keeps making his bosses look bad. Winning is great, but why would anyone doing the hiring go for someone who, eventually, will make them look bad

Reaction Score
I think you could get Sporano for P money. I would think that is a conversation worth having.

Sparano was runner up for NFL coach of the year in 1998 and he is known to prefer power blocking schemes over zone blocking schemes (Seriously). He is also a favorite of Tommy Coughlin who recommended him to Bill Parcells when Parcells took over the Cowboys. Sparano started out pretty low on the Cowboys coaching staff but quickly rose up the ranks to become offensive coordinator. When Parcells took over the GM job at Miami he hired Sparano as head coach. Year 2 at Miami was torpedoed when Pennington went down for the season in game one, after that there was an ownership change there and the new owner started fishing around for another coach which really undercut Sparano.

IMO he is doing a solid job as Jets offensive coordinator, he has greatly improved their line play and running attack. Sanchez is a coach killer and the Jets have little talent at WR (Santonio Homes out for the year) and RB. Their rookie Stephen Hill looks like a player but he drops every other pass thrown to him.

Reaction Score
My issue with Ambrose is not that he wouldn't be qualified, it's that he appears to be a total .
You have hit a home run with that...my co-worker and Towson alum says that is the rep he has

Reaction Score
Just to throw out some salary info
P makes $1.7 mill per year
Ed Daigneault told me on twitter Don Brown makes "roughly the same per yr as the DC at Wisconsin" and Cersosimo made "more than $175,000 last season"
He also told me Kirby smart makes "just shy of $1 million dollars"

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
If you're going with an out of left field choice: Black Jack Cochran. Knows offense, knows how to put talented players in the best position to succeed.
Points off for off the field baggage, has irritated the Connecticut High School Coaching fraternity, trouble can find him anywhere. Just keep him away from the purse strings. Never been a coach on the college level.
Points for: Will put fannies in the seats, games will be exciting.

Coach you seem like a nice guy, however, I think you may want to stop posting for a while. You're starting to make zoo cougar and huskyfandan seem reasonable by comparison

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
I was thinking we might go after a very experienced coach, who's had a lot of success in the Big East, good NFL experience with excellent ties locally who might be willing to bring in an offensive coordinator with Uconn ties.
Shouldn't it read: I was thinking we might go after a coach past his prime, afflicted with wildcat-itis, game-management brain farts, who's been on a downward spiral in the Big East since Dwight Freeney, NFL experience that removed him from game day coaching to position coach with regional ties to the only people that were desperate to hire him after Randy bailed ship and might be willing to bring in a fellow geriatric offensive coordinator with Uconn ties just to relive memories of old time glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom