Everybody wants to fire HCPP - to replace with who? | The Boneyard

Everybody wants to fire HCPP - to replace with who?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
REALISTICALLY, who should be available next year and a DEFINITE step up that UConn can AFFORD? Let's stay away from the ridiculous options that have zero chance of happening. Who are the real up and comers? Or established and maybe just not in the right situation but are still fairly young? I'm going to assume we can keep Coach Brown as DC and not potentially ruin a great thing - or lose him altogether.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
hc-todd monken
dc-brown
oc-either get some one young that comes with TM or promote SD

foley/wholley/hank stay also

if DB goes with his buddys then hank to dc if TM doesnt bring one with him.

edit other names i would like on staff in some role hc or oc types-neal brown and cale gundy

i would do anything for us to go and get tressel...

Reaction Score
neal brown texas tech. don't know how he would handle being a head coach but is one helluva OC. he applied for the umass head coach job last yr.

Reaction Score
Make calls to Bob Diaco, Pat Narduzzi, Brent Pease, Mark Stoops and Brent Veneables, kick tires on guys like Kirby Smart and Malzahan...do due diligence on Bobby Petrino.

Reaction Score
Mark Helfrich
Mark Stoops
Kirby Smart
Todd Barry
Darrel Hazell
Matt Campbell
Dave Doeren
Just for starters....

Reaction Score
If you're going with an out of left field choice: Black Jack Cochran. Knows offense, knows how to put talented players in the best position to succeed.
Points off for off the field baggage, has irritated the Connecticut High School Coaching fraternity, trouble can find him anywhere. Just keep him away from the purse strings. Never been a coach on the college level.
Points for: Will put fannies in the seats, games will be exciting.

Reaction Score
Don Brown
A successful MAC coach (it works for Cincy)
Neil Brown
The Old Dominion coach is young and very impressive
Stony Brook's head coach has an incredible career record
New Hampshire's head coach puts up about 40 points per game
Joe Moorehead (man do I miss Joe Moorehead right now)

The reality is there are plenty of coaches we could get for much less money then we are paying P who is scheduled to make $1.7 million next year.

Reaction Score
Don Brown
A successful MAC coach (it works for Cincy)
Neil Brown
The Old Dominion coach is young and very impressive
Stony Brooke's head coach has an incredible career record
New Hampshire's head coach puts up about 40 points per game
Joe Moorehead (man do I miss Joe Moorehead right now)

The reality is there are plenty of coaches we could get for much less money then we are paying P who is scheduled to make $1.7 million next year.
Ah yes, New Hampshire, the new cradle of coaching. Oregon's coach was very successful there.

Reaction Score
Darryl Hazel - Kent State (HC) & former assistant (HC) at Ohio State.
Mike Bajakian - Cincinnati (OC)

Reaction Score
If i were the mods Id pin the "suggested new coaches" thread to the top. We're going to be doing this a lot in the next month.

Would be satisfied if Neal Brown joined program in some capacity, either as PP or DB's OC or head coach.

Reaction Score
If you want to add NFL guys to the mix...how about Tom Clements OC of the Green Bay Packers...he also has college experience at his alma mater (Notre Dame) under Lou Holtz

Reaction Score
If you want to add NFL guys to the mix...how about Tom Clements OC of the Green Bay Packers...he also has college experience at his alma mater (Notre Dame) under Lou Holtz

Or Kevin Gilbride the (OC) of the NY Giants... Gilbride was born in New Haven, CT

Reaction Score
I believe there is a list of candidates already in the mix and it would be naive not to think that various coach's agents haven't been sniffing around the inevitable rotting carcasses of PP and GD. Will Warde and Susan pull the trigger this year? Who knows, but don't ever think that public opinion and media outrage can't turn the tide on a prior strongly stated and public pronouncement. As I recall, wasn't there going to be a marathon today in NYC?!!

For a look at process, it might be instructive to look back at what was reported after the hiring of WM.

STORRS -- It only took a single interview.
"He's a rock star," Herbst said. "He's the whole package. He's charismatic. He was a great student-athlete. He's been at terrific, top universities. Georgia Tech . The University of Michigan. Buffalo. He's funny. He's interesting. He had all the characteristics we were looking for. But, more importantly, he's got a lot of gravitas. He's very, very serious about both the academic side and winning. He's a very, very competitive person. But he's competitive about the classroom and also what goes on on the field and on the court. To me, he fulfilled all of what I was hoping for in an athletic director."

Even though University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst had never met Warde Manuel before the search for a new athletic director began last month, she knew when her meeting with him ended Friday that he was her pick to lead the university's athletic department. Bolstering Manuel's case were the glowing recommendations she received from his colleagues in the industry who painted a picture of the ideal candidate. Manuel was offered the job later that day and he accepted it immediately.

He will sign a five-year contract with UConn, with the option for a two-year extension at the discretion of the university. He will earn an annual base salary of $450,000 and is eligible for an annual $100,000 performance incentive if certain academic and athletic goals are achieved and for $100,000 in deferred compensation, to be awarded at the conclusion of his current contract. Manuel, who will be UConn's first black athletic director, is a burly 6-foot-5 1990 Michigan graduate, where he played defensive end under legendary football coach Bo Schembechler He is the son of a 6-foot-2, 290-pound former U.S. Army sergeant who taught him about sports and toughness growing up in New Orleans. "I know that the role of AD at UConn is a role of a lifetime," Manuel said. "We're not coming here to be in and out. This is a great university with one of the most enviable athletic programs in the country."

Manuel succeeds Jeff Hathaway. Manuel was first approached by a search consultant at the NCAA national convention in Indianapolis during the second week of January, one of eight finalists for the position. Herbst had initially thought that the search would span three months before Hathaway's successor would be named, but Manuel and the rest of the candidates made it easy for her to cut the process short. "When I started to see the pool, then I thought it would it go very fast because I knew that we weren't going to have to go back out in the field and look more,'' Herbst said. "Like within the larger pool, we had so many stars that I knew it was going to go pretty quickly."

Prior to leading a 20-sport program at Buffalo, Manuel served as the assistant (February 1998) and associate director of athletics (September 2000) at Michigan.Manuel was honored by the Sports Business Journal as a 2008 national 40-Under-40 honoree after receiving the same honor from Business First of Buffalo in fall 2007. He was one of only three athletic directors asked to serve on the Collegiate Model Rules committee in September 2011, a working group of the Division I Committee on Academic Performance charged with broad overview of current NCAA Rules. Manuel, who earned a Ph.D. in social work and psychology at Michigan and a master's degree in social work and an MBA from Michigan's Ross School of Business serves on the NCAA Division I Championships/Sports Management Cabinet.

"He's very thoughtful, I think in part, because he's so incredibly well-educated," Herbst said. "He just brings a lot of intellectual focus to the discussions, and that's very important to me. But the reception from around the country from the people in the college sports business has been overwhelming. We knew he was the right person, but to get that confirmation from people at truly great places has been terrific."

Reaction Score
REALISTICALLY, who should be available next year and a DEFINITE step up that UConn can AFFORD? Let's stay away from the ridiculous options that have zero chance of happening. Who are the real up and comers? Or established and maybe just not in the right situation but are still fairly young? I'm going to assume we can keep Coach Brown as DC and not potentially ruin a great thing - or lose him altogether.

Good question.

Here is a list of entities I would prefer to see coaching the Huskies over P and D.

1. Any other football coach.

2. All domestic pets.

3. Joe Biden.

4. Any single celled organism.

Reaction Score
Randy E., why not its still all his recruits apparently.

I'm so desperate right now, this does not even sound that ridiculous anymore. And I was no fan of Edsall.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Good question.

Here is a list of entities I would prefer to see coaching the Huskies over P and D.

1. Any other football coach.

2. All domestic pets.

3. Joe Biden.

4. Any single celled organism.
Are you sure Biden deserves mention above single celled organisms?

Reaction Score
I was thinking we might go after a very experienced coach, who's had a lot of success in the Big East, good NFL experience with excellent ties locally who might be willing to bring in an offensive coordinator with Uconn ties.

Reaction Score
I was thinking we might go after a very experienced coach, who's had a lot of success in the Big East, good NFL experience with excellent ties locally who might be willing to bring in an offensive coordinator with Uconn ties.

As long as he didn't get canned from the Cuse it sounds like a good idea :)

Reaction Score

I think I know who you are talking about. But I heard he is a retread.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think I know who you are talking about. But I heard he is a retread.
Did you sat retread or retard?

(for the PC police, sorry but I had to)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member