Everybody wants to fire HCPP - to replace with who? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Everybody wants to fire HCPP - to replace with who?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really like what Malzahn is doing at Ark. State. I know that some of the Cam Newton stink is on him, but it is 2-3 years later now. That said, I'm not sure P is out...but DeLeone HAS to go.

Reaction Score
The Brent Venebles, Brett Pease, Kirby Smart ideas are pipe dreams IMO...

Some of the Big 12 OC's are more intriguing but its a different game up here...

Reaction Score

We need to look at DIV II, I-AA, MAC, and other levels for a Chip Kelly, Butch Jones, Brian Kelly etc.

Somewhere there is an up and coming hard charger willing to come here and kick ass.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

a game we should want to play, not the game we play now. my guy is in my post. his chance should be coming soon. im interesting in being that chance.

Reaction Score
I don't have a name right now, but what we need is someone that is half way between RE and PP. Edsall reportedly was a control freak who gave his coodinators no rope at all. PP is a total delegator who lets his coordinators do it their way. This works out fine for DB and not so much for GDL.

Reaction Score
I don't have a name right now, but what we need is someone that is half way between RE and PP. Edsall reportedly was a control freak who gave his coodinators no rope at all. PP is a total delegator who lets his coordinators do it their way. This works out fine for DB and not so much for GDL.

I would like to get to know Fiore from Stony Brook better.

Reaction Score
Make calls to Bob Diaco, Pat Narduzzi, Brent Pease, Mark Stoops and Brent Veneables, kick tires on guys like Kirby Smart and Malzahan...do due diligence on Bobby Petrino.
I think put out some inquiries into the "they're too high up the food chain" coaches you mentioned, but no further due diligence needs to be done with Petrino-he's done that legwork already with his own actions. Maybe I'm just projecting my personal feelings here, but I just don't think the fans in the state of CT are willing to bring in a proven dirtbag, even if it means winning.

I agree most strongly with some other posters who say take a shot on a young, charismatic coach who has proven he can win on the 1AA or even D-II level. I'll roll the dice with that. I didn't used to think that way, but I've come around to that. Not out of desperation, but I think a "non-sexy" name in the media that still has the personal presence to impress recruits and their families in their living rooms, who knows what he is doing as a coach with a proven track record, can get us to the next level at least. There are tons of great coaches out there who can coach the crap out of this game, even if they aren't on national TV every week. I think a lot of Coordinators for big schools are "stars waiting in the wings," but for every one of those, there are at least as many Coordinators for big schools who are respectable, solid coaches overall but look like all stars because of the caliber of athletes they have at their disposal.

Reaction Score
We need to look at DIV II, I-AA, MAC, and other levels for a Chip Kelly, Butch Jones, Brian Kelly etc.

Somewhere there is an up and coming hard charger willing to come here and kick ass.
I'm out on a D-2 or D-1AA guy unless they spent their asst career at the BCS level like Tressel did before he went to Akron.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Hmmm..good thought on the ranking for Biden. But the ranking isn't based on intelligence. Its the ability to ask a paraplegic to stand and be recognized.

Reaction Score
I think put out some inquiries into the "they're too high up the food chain" coaches you mentioned, but no further due diligence needs to be done with Petrino-he's done that legwork already with his own actions. Maybe I'm just projecting my personal feelings here, but I just don't think the fans in the state of CT are willing to bring in a proven dirtbag, even if it means winning.

I agree most strongly with some other posters who say take a shot on a young, charismatic coach who has proven he can win on the 1AA or even D-II level. I'll roll the dice with that. I didn't used to think that way, but I've come around to that. Not out of desperation, but I think a "non-sexy" name in the media that still has the personal presence to impress recruits and their families in their living rooms, who knows what he is doing as a coach with a proven track record, can get us to the next level at least. There are tons of great coaches out there who can coach the crap out of this game, even if they aren't on national TV every week. I think a lot of Coordinators for big schools are "stars waiting in the wings," but for every one of those, there are at least as many Coordinators for big schools who are respectable, solid coaches overall but look like all stars because of the caliber of athletes they have at their disposal.

One thing about Petrino and this is Bill King's line every time someone calls his show about him...he has ALWAYS played by NCAA rules! He has made some VERY bad decisions in his personal choices...but he can flat out coach! As far as the D-2 or 1AA guy...is they have never coached at this level I don't want to hear about them! And I don't think you will find them making the list of our AD. There is a BIG difference between 1AA and BCS level football...never mind D-2. If we go with that kind of a guy it is the sign that the white flag is being run up the flag pole regarding this program and where it is headed...what the future has in store. Chip Kelly was OC at Oregon first...he got to learn the differences between the CAA and the Pac-12. He wasn't just hired as head coach out there.

Reaction Score
You make an excellent point CoachRD. I feel that this staff would be successful if they were able to get the type of players they are looking for. Problem is those players are NFL types. We need coaches who can work with and put our level of players in the best posssible position to succeed! We are not going to be able to out-recruit the top programs and likely won't even be able to out-recruit our conference competition. But we MUST do a better job of coaching the players we can get and putting them in a good position to succeed. This staff has been a total failure at this on offense. Do we have major problems on the OLine? Yes. But couldn't some adjustments in style help them be more successful? I have to believe this is so. Rather than just running the system they are comfortable with without having the players to do it they need to be able to adjust to something that they can do. I refuse to believe that good coaches couldn't find a way to fix the running game. There are lots of successful coaches making a lot less than P in D1 that could do a lot better. The Chip Kelly analogy is a good one. Although he has tremendous resources to work with now he was quite successful where he was with limited resources so it can be done. We need to figure out what we want to build here. What will be successful -- high powered offense? Fast paced? Then get the staff and players that can run it. The reason I don't believe this staff can do it is that they are unable to sustain any momentum and are stumbling backwards. They don't have any answers to stop the bleeding. The players deserve better. So do the fans.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
You could prop up a crash test dummy on the sideline and it will be as effective managing timeouts and end of half situations as P has been. Sadly, that's not hyperbole.
Crash test dummy lmfao!!!!!!!! That's awesome!

Reaction Score
It AMAZES me that some of you want to hand the keys to this program to a guy from a FCS or D-2 program who NEVER spent a day on a FBS staff! The NBE may nit be the SEC or B1G BUT it is a LOT better than the CAA! You all talk about finding the next Chip Kelly...Chip Kelly was offensive coordinator at Oregon for Mike Bellotti for 2 seasons before being named head coach by Belotti when he moved up to AD. 2 seasons of Big Boy football! Hathaway definitely made the wrong hire...but don't think handing the keys to some young hot coach from FCS or D-2 is gonna be shangri-la....if you do you should ask a Maryland fan how Mark Duffner worked out! From 86-91 Duffner was 60-5-1 as head coach at Holy Cross...a hot young coaching candidate. Hired at Maryland prior to the 92 season he was head coach at Maryland from 92-96 with a 20-35 record (13-27 in ACC). I can tell you first hand from going to a few games at MD during that time and from listening to my brother who went to every home game then as a student than Duffner was in DEEP over his head in making that jump...and his teams were poorly coached and poorly prepared. He also was not adapt at the recruiting game at that level! So thanks but no thanks...I don't need to see another Mark Duffner experiment here.

Reaction Score
If you're going with an out of left field choice: Black Jack Cochran. Knows offense, knows how to put talented players in the best position to succeed.
Points off for off the field baggage, has irritated the Connecticut High School Coaching fraternity, trouble can find him anywhere. Just keep him away from the purse strings. Never been a coach on the college level.
Points for: Will put fannies in the seats, games will be exciting.
Oh good lord! Put down the bottle of Jack Daniels, coach...you've had far too many!

Reaction Score
Here's a name with alot of coaching experience(28 yrs) who has coached 8 biletnikoff award finalists and has coached in Pac-12, Big-12 and MWC. His name is Greg Peterson. Or if we want a Northeast guy go with John Reagan(OC of Rice) he's from cuse and has Rice as a top offense in the country(28th).

Reaction Score
Here's a name with alot of coaching experience(28 yrs) who has coached 8 biletnikoff award finalists and has coached in Pac-12, Big-12 and MWC. His name is Greg Peterson. Or if we want a Northeast guy go with John Reagan(OC of Rice) he's from cuse and has Rice as a top offense in the country(28th).
Don't be surprised if Reagan's name pops up as a replacement for DeLeone as OC of Pasqualoni stays and has to replace GDL.

Reaction Score
Good question.

Here is a list of entities I would prefer to see coaching the Huskies over P and D.

1. Any other football coach.

2. All domestic pets.

3. Joe Biden.

4. Any single celled organism.

5. A small patch of brown liquid.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Kliff Kingsbury.

Offense is our No. 1 problem. Kingsbury was a great QB at Texas Tech and could take a QB like Whitmer and turn him into a star. The only drawback would be his recruiting ties, which are in the SW. Then again, getting more players from that part of the world isn't a bad idea. We need to simplify things for the OL, recruit speed and talent at WR and go to an up tempo spread offense, just like almost everybody else has already done. Edsall and Pasqualoni/DeLeone have turned us into Three Yards and a Cloud of Dust U. (more like one or two yards).

Sumlin and Kingsbury have instantly infused a lot of life into the train wreck that was the Texas A&M program, so much so that they've shut the mouths of all the burnt orange bloods who predicted they would go 0-fer the rest of the century in the SEC. Derision has quickly turned to envy in the Lone Star state.

Reaction Score
It AMAZES me that some of you want to hand the keys to this program to a guy from a FCS or D-2 program who NEVER spent a day on a FBS staff! The NBE may nit be the SEC or B1G BUT it is a LOT better than the CAA! You all talk about finding the next Chip Kelly...Chip Kelly was offensive coordinator at Oregon for Mike Bellotti for 2 seasons before being named head coach by Belotti when he moved up to AD. 2 seasons of Big Boy football! Hathaway definitely made the wrong hire...but don't think handing the keys to some young hot coach from FCS or D-2 is gonna be shangri-la....if you do you should ask a Maryland fan how Mark Duffner worked out! From 86-91 Duffner was 60-5-1 as head coach at Holy Cross...a hot young coaching candidate. Hired at Maryland prior to the 92 season he was head coach at Maryland from 92-96 with a 20-35 record (13-27 in ACC). I can tell you first hand from going to a few games at MD during that time and from listening to my brother who went to every home game then as a student than Duffner was in DEEP over his head in making that jump...and his teams were poorly coached and poorly prepared. He also was not adapt at the recruiting game at that level! So thanks but no thanks...I don't need to see another Mark Duffner experiment here.

Jim Tressel and Brian Kelly say hello. You can cherry pick examples all you want. Disqualifying entire groups of qualified candidates is small-minded. Being a coordinator at the BCS level is no more a guarantee of success than being a successful coach at the 1-AA level.

Reaction Score
Most of the picks listed here are just asking to be 0-12, might as well throw in Pat Fitzgerald of Northwestern.

WE'RE DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We are not in a position to cherry pick, but still have a great deal offer. It's the Athletic Director's job to go find "the guy".

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Jim Tressel and Brian Kelly say hello. You can cherry pick examples all you want. Disqualifying entire groups of qualified candidates is small-minded. Being a coordinator at the BCS level is no more a guarantee of success than being a successful coach at the 1-AA level.
Jim Tressel was an Asst at Syracuse then Ohio St BEFORE going to Akron...Brian Kelly came to Cincy from Western Michigan which is a MAC school! Those guys came to FBS level football head jobs with some kind of experience at the D-1A level...Tressel as an asst at OSU...Kelly as a head coach in the MAC. If you look at Manuel's history at hiring football coaches at Buffalo he hired Turner Gill who was OC at Nebraska and Jeff Quinn who was OC under Kelly at Cincinnati the year they went to the BCS and was named top Asst that year as well. That should give you an idea of what kinds of guys he looks at.

Reaction Score
Jerry Azzanario. Defensive Line Coach at Oregon

Been with Chip Kelly both in Oregon & New Hampshire
Has been a Head Coach in New England & is from Massachusetts (Alum of AIC like \______)
Wonderful motivator at Oregon
Recruiting Coordinator at Syracuse.
Defensive Coordinator at Duke ... OC was Bill O'Brien
54 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads