Everybody wants to fire HCPP - to replace with who? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Everybody wants to fire HCPP - to replace with who?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Coach you seem like a nice guy, however, I think you may want to stop posting for a while. You're starting to make zoo cougar and huskyfandan seem reasonable by comparison
I DID couch that post by saying it was out of left field. It was meant as sarcasm. There's no way I'd serious;y consider elevating a former h.s. coach to a FBS head coaching position.

Reaction Score
I DID couch that post by saying it was out of left field. It was meant as sarcasm. There's no way I'd serious;y consider elevating a former h.s. coach to a FBS head coaching position.

Sober now? lol

Reaction Score
Petrino keeps making his bosses look bad. Winning is great, but why would anyone doing the hiring go for someone who, eventually, will make them look bad
Bobby Petrino is the college football version of Larry Brown. They both have that vagabond gene as a dominant trait.

Reaction Score
The prodigal son Kirk Ferentz. Iowa is tanking, could use a change of scenery would be a massive hit with fan base/local talent

Reaction Score
Coach you seem like a nice guy, however, I think you may want to stop posting for a while. You're starting to make zoo cougar and huskyfandan seem reasonable by comparison

I'm unreasonable? OK. You and DeLeone are the only ones left on the planet who still want to run the Wildcat. Don't change dude.

Reaction Score
REALISTICALLY, who should be available next year and a DEFINITE step up that UConn can AFFORD? Let's stay away from the ridiculous options that have zero chance of happening. Who are the real up and comers? Or established and maybe just not in the right situation but are still fairly young? I'm going to assume we can keep Coach Brown as DC and not potentially ruin a great thing - or lose him altogether.

UConn better be able to afford top notch coaching talent. They can't afford not to. Let's start acting the part of a Big Time program if we are ever gonna get there.

Reaction Score
We will not be able to land any big-name coaches on our coaching staff budget. But if money were less of an object, my list would include (in no particular order):

Eric Mangini - CT guy, Belichick disciple; young and incredibly intelligent; not sure how well he'd recruit but all he'd have to say to a kid is "NFL" and "Belichick" and that will open ears
Steve Addazio - not likely he would leave Temple for UConn (how said is that??), but it's definitely worth a tire kick because he's a local guy, great recruiter and MUCH better game coach than our current administration
Bobby Petrino - incredible baggage but you can't argue with the immediate shot in the arm that he brings his programs. Likely would leave in 2 years if successful but hopefully by then, UConn will be prominent again to attract the next coach
Tony Sporano - the mastermind of the wildcat offense shows me that he's innovative; CT guy
Kirby Smart - anybody in the Saban/Belichick tree needs to be considered even if he's a defensive guy; would need to be heavily compensated to lure him away from powerhouse Bama (or likely to be hired by Tennessee if Dooley is fired)
Chad Morris - watch Clemson's offense and tell me that doesn't get the blood pumping; young and could open recruiting grounds in the southeast
James Coley - FSU boasts some serious offensive firepower and would open recruiting in Florida
Gus Malzahn - not sure why he wasn't considered more in the last coaching search
You know there are good football coaches who aren't "Connecticut guys" which half your list seems to be. Mangini has flopped at 2 NFL stops. so you want to give him a chance to flop at a college one too? In my opinion we should just keep away from NFL guys anyway. While they occasionally work out, I think it is better to get a college coach or coordinator, or at least a guy with significant college experience.

Reaction Score
You know there are good football coaches who aren't "Connecticut guys" which half your list seems to be. Mangini has flopped at 2 NFL stops. so you want to give him a chance to flop at a college one too? In my opinion we should just keep away from NFL guys anyway. While they occasionally work out, I think it is better to get a college coach or coordinator, or at least a guy with significant college experience.

If Mangini wanted the job, I would listen to him, and want to hear his philosophy and plan for the program.

Pete Carroll flopped at two NFL jobs too, he's not my favorite coach, but he had some success at USC.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Shouldn't it read: I was thinking we might go after a coach past his prime, afflicted with wildcat-itis, game-management brain farts, who's been on a downward spiral in the Big East since Dwight Freeney, NFL experience that removed him from game day coaching to position coach with regional ties to the only people that were desperate to hire him after Randy bailed ship and might be willing to bring in a fellow geriatric offensive coordinator with Uconn ties just to relive memories of old time glory.

The back-up Quarterback taking the snaps on designed QB runs as opposed to the starter does not a wildcat offense make. What it does do is make the back-up a sacrificial lamb on said designed runs.

The Wildcat was initially intended to cause confusion for a superior defense with direct snaps to a non-QB under/behind center (See: Brown, Ronnie). It also involves at least some possibility of a pass, thereby making runs a little easier to come by. McCummings comes in for a shotgun snap and runs off-tackle on almost every play he's behind center. This is more reminiscent of the Florida Gator Offense when Tebow would spell Chris Leak during, circa 2006.

Reaction Score
I think it is better to get a college coach or coordinator, or at least a guy with significant college experience.
Completely agree. Here's the guy we should be looking closely at.

Seth Litrell, the OC at Indiana (under Head Coach Kevin Wilson). He's young. Dynamic. A leader. A winner. Played for Oklahoma. Coached at Arizona and Texas Tech. A great recruiter. Look at his bio--then watch and listen to some of his comments after a game. He's got the same position as GDL. Notice how he takes the blame for a few wrong calls. Can you imagine GDL doing that? Don't be influenced by his low key appraoch here, which is typical of an Asst Coach. His players love playing for him--our players despise GDL. He'd love having his own program to build. He's be affordable. I say give him the reins and let the doggies run. BTW, although IU's record is 4-5, this is Seth's first year there and his offense has had IU in every game (check the final scores). They play Wisconsin this Saturday and still have a shot at the Big 10 Championship Game. For those of you who know IU, that's pretty darn amazing.

Date Opponent / Event Location Time / Result
09/01/12 vs. Indiana State W, 24-17
09/08/12 at Massachusetts W, 45-6
09/15/12 vs. Ball State L, 41-39
09/29/12 at Northwestern L, 44-29
10/06/12 vs. Michigan State L, 31-27
10/13/12 vs. Ohio State L, 52-49
10/20/12 at Navy L, 31-30
10/27/12 at Illinois W, 31-17
11/03/12 vs. Iowa W, 24-21
11/10/12 vs. Wisconsin 12:00 p.m. ET
11/17/12 at Penn State 12:00 p.m. ET
11/24/12 at Purdue TBA
12/01/12 Big Ten Championship Game TBA

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...o_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/2012Littrell.pdf

Reaction Score
Why are you all doing this to yourselves? PP and GDL will be back on the sidelines next year, no question. Might as well prepare for the worst and not pretend these guys want to come to CT.

Reaction Score
Simple exercise, list all current HC's at MAC Conf schools and see how amny you would rather have at UCOON vs the present HC. You'll be surprised how many are immediate candidates!
Be realistic, we are not getting a high profile, proven college HC here. Need a young guy who has achieved success as a HC at a smaller conference school, or an Asst Coach from a winning program.
Bottom line: ABP (Anybody but Pasqualoni!)

Reaction Score
No chance for Brent Pease coming here.

Right, no chance of Pease leaving as an OC at admittedly a great program for a head coaching job at a football program in trouble but which has a solid foundation. Any move from OC at ANY school - USC, Oregon, LSU - to head coaching job at UConn is a huge career step up. I don't know what he makes but if it is less an 500K he would make out well coming here.

Unless he wants to fetch Muschamp's dry cleaning the rest of his life.

Reaction Score
Pease makes over 500k not to mention he's on the short list of candidates for the UK HC job.

Reaction Score
Someone from the MAC. Toledo's or NIU's HCs look good.

Reaction Score
I didn't go back through all the pages so forgive me if a duplicate but this guy would be an improvement:

Reaction Score
I didn't go back through all the pages so forgive me if a duplicate but this guy would be an improvement:

He falls into the same category as the non-descript pool of brown fluid.

Reaction Score
REALISTICALLY, who should be available next year and a DEFINITE step up that UConn can AFFORD? Let's stay away from the ridiculous options that have zero chance of happening. Who are the real up and comers? Or established and maybe just not in the right situation but are still fairly young? I'm going to assume we can keep Coach Brown as DC and not potentially ruin a great thing - or lose him altogether.
Yo Momma Biat@H!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Was this a legitimate question? I mean seriously? Is not Bobby Valentine unemployed at present? That's what this has been...PP has been worse than anyone could have possibly imagined. Unless he's working tirelessly in practice on failing to score, what he is doing is not working.

Anybody would be an improvement...including the guy at Maryland. But realistically, there are several MAC coaches who would be an upgrade. Lembo from Ball State? The guys at Ohio, Miami, Toledo would all be good. Alos, what about Sonny Dykes from Louisiana Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom