ESPN3 it is. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

ESPN3 it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That is a different deal, 2013 is still the old deal. Not sure why this is so difficult. The game being on ESPN3 is for one reason: They want to play at night because of the holiday.

It's nothing nefarious. It's not a comment on the state of the program. It's not even the end of the world.
Yep, you are right. I forgot about that. Thanks.

Reaction Score
That is a different deal, 2013 is still the old deal. Not sure why this is so difficult. The game being on ESPN3 is for one reason: They want to play at night because of the holiday.

It's nothing nefarious. It's not a comment on the state of the program. It's not even the end of the world.

okay, enough with the facts and rational thinking. it's bad for the board's image.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks the AAC and MAC deals will be the same is forgetting about basketball.

So the MAC and the league UConn is in has the same deal for football only? Thanks, I feel much better.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
So the MAC and the league UConn is in has the same deal for football only? Thanks, I feel much better.

This football season is part of the old deal. Next year football/this year basketball are at levels the MAC will never, ever get.

Reading comprehension.

Reaction Score
This football season is part of the old deal. Next year football/this year basketball are at levels the MAC will never, ever get.

Reading comprehension.

Denial, Not true. The football side of the MAC contract will be very similar as your "new" 2014 contract. MAC is renegotiating with ESPN right now. Only thing the AAC accomplished was converting a few regional games to ESPNU games (ESPN has asked us to do the same). 90% of MAC games are already on "national" ESPN3. Our first 3 weeks of this year already has all the games on "national" ESPN3. The remainder is on our digital platform so "all games played at our campus stadiums" will be on TV with 90% on a "national" broadcast. Sound familiar?

zls44

Reaction Score
Denial, Not true. The football side of the MAC contract will be very similar as your "new" 2014 contract. MAC is renegotiating with ESPN right now. Only thing the AAC accomplished was converting a few regional games to ESPNU games (ESPN has asked us to do the same). 90% of MAC games are already on "national" ESPN3. Our first 3 weeks of this year already has all the games on "national" ESPN3. The remainder is on our digital platform so "all games played at our campus stadiums" will be on TV with 90% on a "national" broadcast. Sound familiar?

The MAC isn't getting a similar deal. It just isn't. They have already lost a lot of the bargaining power of playing on any nights due to the expansion of networks and leagues willing to play on those nights.

As limited as the AAC's appeal is, its the freakin SEC compared to the MAC.

Reaction Score
The MAC isn't getting a similar deal. It just isn't. They have already lost a lot of the bargaining power of playing on any nights due to the expansion of networks and leagues willing to play on those nights.

As limited as the AAC's appeal is, its the freakin SEC compared to the MAC.

1. We have the same 1st Tier Provider (ESPN), 2nd Tier Provider (ESPN Regional), and same Digital Platform (XOS Digital) and its different how? AND the MAC is negotiating more exposure on ESPN right now as I type.

2. The AAC is the SEC? Really? So let me get this straight:

The AAC is:

Cincinnati - beaten last year by Toledo
South Florida - beaten last year by Ball State
UConn - beaten last 2 years by an awful Western Michigan team
Temple - NEVER beat a MAC team with a winning record in 6 years
and 7 mediocre C-USA teams like Memphis and Tulane.

But somehow you claim SEC-like superiority over the MAC?

We can agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
God I would rather play at the FCS level than the MAC level. Seriously what is the point?

zls44

Reaction Score
1. We have the same 1st Tier Provider (ESPN), 2nd Tier Provider (ESPN Regional), and same Digital Platform (XOS Digital) and its different how? AND the MAC is negotiating more exposure on ESPN right now as I type.

2. The AAC is the SEC? Really? So let me get this straight:

The AAC is:

Cincinnati - beaten last year by Toledo
South Florida - beaten last year by Ball State
UConn - beaten last 2 years by an awful Western Michigan team
Temple - NEVER beat a MAC team with a winning record in 6 years
and 7 mediocre C-USA teams like Memphis and Tulane.

But somehow you claim SEC-like superiority over the MAC?

We can agree to disagree.

If you think the MAC is more popular than the AAC or a better football conference, then you are stupid beyond words.

Your increased ESPNU games are going to be on Tuesdays. The AAC's will be on Saturdays. The new AAC deal starts next year, and is far better than anything the MAC has ever, or will ever get.

Period.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
If you think the MAC is more popular than the AAC or a better football conference, then you are stupid beyond words.

Your increased ESPNU games are going to be on Tuesdays. The AAC's will be on Saturdays. The new AAC deal starts next year, and is far better than anything the MAC has ever, or will ever get.

Period.

you have to listen to him. he works at espn and literally is making the schedule as we speak. ohio vs akron? tuesday night mother frucker!

Reaction Score

Period.

Sorry to break the news to you with FACTS, but the Big East ratings and viewers were on average no better than the MAC ratings. Just wait until Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt is replaced with SMU, Tulane, Memphis ratings....

0.9 (1.3M)
No. Illinois Kent State 7 PM ESPN2

Fri., 10/19/12
0.8 (1.0M)
Connecticut Syracuse 8 PM ESPN

Fri., 11/9/12
0.6 (931K)
Pittsburgh Connecticut 8 PM ESPN2

Wed., 11/7/12
0.5 (719K)
Bowling Green Ohio 8 PM ESPN2

0.4 (614K)
Rutgers Pittsburgh 12 PM ESPN2

0.4 (536K)
Syracuse Temple 11 AM ESPN2

0.2 (349K)
Pittsburgh USF 7 PM ESPN2

0.1 (122K)
Army Rutgers 12 PM ESPNU

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...tv-ratings-for-almost-every-game-this-season/

Reaction Score
MAC averages 750,000 viewers and beat half of the Big East games of last season (when the BE still had teams people wanted to watch). Good luck on your prized Saturday game on ESPNU during the same timeslot as the Penn State game.

"ESPN values the MAC's midweek appearances.

Most midweek MAC games last season games had a TV rating of between 0.4 and 0.5, according to Sportsmediawatch.com, which isn't on par with power-conference numbers but enough for a handful of top-200 college football performances on the season. The Mid-American Conference -- fresh off a Bowl Championship Series appearance -- and ESPN are expected to reopen media rights talks at the halfway point of an eight-year deal running to 2016-17, according to sources with direct knowledge of the situation.
"

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ac-espn-expected-to-re-open-media-rights-deal

zls44

Reaction Score
AAC numbers are far better than the MAC numbers because they were in timeslots against more/better games. The AAC's new ESPN deal explicitly outlines network games as nationally televised (ie, not ESPN3), and excludes certain undesirable week nights. Those are two conditions the MAC will never get, nor wants. They are content to be a whore.

The AAC has fewer teams that people want to watch. The MAC still has none.

zls44

Reaction Score
Most midweek MAC games last season games had a TV rating of between 0.4 and 0.5, according to Sportsmediawatch.com, which isn't on par with power-conference numbers

Jesus, the evidence is in your own post! The AAC goes from being the sixth-best football conference to...being the sixth-best football conference. It also added football markets. Most of the "bad numbers" you cited for the AAC included teams leaving the conference. I am very confident that UCF can pull a 0.2. Very.

No wonder a degree from Bowling Green, Eastern Michigan or UMass may as well be written in crayon.

Reaction Score
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...and-espn-announce-multiyear-rights-agreement/

Terms aren't listed, but Kansas tier 3 rights were just bought up by ESPN3 for 7 years, and ESPN is going to use Kansas athletics - which has a huge regional following, to push the platform. UCONN (and by extension the entire AAC) is being used the same way, push the platform.

Whether or not the Maryland @ UCONN game is played at sunset on Yom Kippur, or sunrise on Easter, or noon on Good Friday or 4:20 on whatever Rastafari recognized day of observance is completely unrelated.

Requesting a night game, was apparently done by UCONN, and as I"ve said, I'm perfectly fine with that -as I'm sure it accommodates a significant number of season ticket holders. I never said that being at night, and being on ESPN3 was related. I actually have no idea how that conclusion was made. It doesn't make any sense. Unrelated.

This game was decided to be broadcast 'nationally' on ESPN3 a long time ago, I think. The kickoff time didn't matter.

All that said - I'm glad the game is Saturday evening primetime. Fact. UCONN sports have been used by ESPN to drive new sports broadcasting platforms since 1979. Fact. This latest television deal we've got with the AAC conference, is becoming clear, to be using UCONN sports, no different than ESPN has done since 1979. We will be driving new sports broadcasting platforms. Fact. Unlike Kansas deal (who happen to be in a major conference with existing TV deals) - ESPN has our tier 1 and tier 2 rights to play with in driving the platform.

Opinion: I wish that ESPN would just be honest about it. Opinion: I think ESPN3 has great potential to be a very good broadcast platform in the future - much better than ESPNU. Aside from being on the flagship ESPN or ESPN2, being on ESPN3, in 2013 moving forward IS in fact, the next best thing.

Fact: In many areas of the country, and especially in the northeast, the competiting television carriers/satellite/cable, will necessitate people exploring new television arrangements to watch UCONN sports on ESPN3 - to achieve the 'saturation of the local market' that is described in the Kansas article.

Fact: Anyone within driving distance, that is interested, should be with me at the game, watching our Huskies, clad in a new NIke flashy uniform that would probably make conservative Randy Edsall wince........actually make Randy Edsall wince with how badly we beat the snot out of the turtles.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh good an 8 paragraph regurgitation of conspiracy theories that have no basis in actual evidence.

Reaction Score
AAC numbers are far better than the MAC numbers because they were in timeslots against more/better games.

huh? link? either they are or they aren't. Out of one side you talk that Saturday games are better than weekday games, on the other side you make excuses as why the UConn ratings are sub-par because nobody is watching on Saturday because they don't care and are instead watching Boston College or Penn State during the same time. Whats the point of having a Saturday TV game on "5 people are watching TV station"?? I'd rather have 1 million watching the MAC game on Wednesday night. Funny stuff, the MAC was the first to do mid-week games on ESPN and now every conference is copying including Thursday night NFL games...

Reaction Score
You are confusing the deal. Aresco said that 90% of BE fball games will be on national TV and definitely NOT ESPN3.

Research the newly signed Kansas Basketball deal with ESPN3. Quick google search will find that ESPN says that ESPN3 is "national" TV for Kansas Basketball.... and Kansas trumps UConn all day, every day.. NEXT..

Reaction Score
Research the newly signed Kansas Basketball deal with ESPN3. Quick google search will find that ESPN says that ESPN3 is "national" TV for Kansas Basketball.... and Kansas trumps UConn all day, every day.. NEXT..

Your post is worthless. First, you don't even have a link. Second, I am telling you that Aresco said that ESPN3 is NOT part of the deal for 90% of the games. He flat out said it.

Reaction Score
The AAC's new ESPN deal explicitly outlines network games as nationally televised (ie, not ESPN3),

"The Jayhawks sold their local third-tier broadcast rights to a cable company (Time Warner Cable) and their national third-tier broadcast rights to ESPN, which will place those games (one football game, six men's basketball games and more than 50 other games involving Kansas teams) on ESPN3."
COULD THIS BE ANY MORE CLEARER??????????

Reaction Score
[Aresco] He flat out said it.

LOL! He said it!!

Like Aresco said:

- "the [AAC] is worth $8-$12 million"
- "No way Notre Dame will leave"
- "No way Boise State will leave"
- "No, No, NO, NOOOO way San Diego State will leave!"
-"We won't lose our AQ"
- "We are a Top-6 Conference" hahahhaha
- "Rutgers and Louisville wont leave"
- " We won't lose our ESPN blog"

Seriously guys... really? NO REALLY?

There is defiant, wishful-thinking.... and then there is just flat-out stupidy.... C'mon, I'll trust Kansas Basketball and then you can trust Aresco..

Reaction Score
"The Jayhawks sold their local third-tier broadcast rights to a cable company (Time Warner Cable) and their national third-tier broadcast rights to ESPN, which will place those games (one football game, six men's basketball games and more than 50 other games involving Kansas teams) on ESPN3."
COULD THIS BE ANY MORE CLEARER??????????

It doesn't say anything about ESPN3 being television, as you claimed. Tier 3 rights include radio, internet, etc.

It's clear here that you are confusing a lot of things. You are confusing television and internet.

You are also confusing Tier 1/2 rights and Tier 3 rights.

For instance, just to play this out, Kansas sold the rights to ONE football game. Why ONE? Because the conference games are wrapped up in totally separate deals owned by the conference. Tier 3 refers to non-conference games. Get it? And tier 3 refers to radio, internet and regional TV.

You're confusing things.

Go back and read your quote and notice that it says absolutely nothing about TV.

And, FYI, when you say Kansas trumps UConn, pull up the USA Today's NCAA revenues database and have a look at UConn's TV licensing rights and see how they compare to Kansas's.

Reaction Score
Why are you even here, really? The MAC is a crap conference. There are schools preparing to drop divisions in that conference.

Reaction Score
Why are you even here, really? The MAC is a crap conference. There are schools preparing to drop divisions in that conference.

Bwahahaha. Thats what Western Michigan says about UConn. UConn would struggle to be .500 in the MAC. 0-3 vs Ball State....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom