ESPN3 it is. | The Boneyard

ESPN3 it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I count two UConn games on ESPN3.

Towson at UConn - honestly this game may not even deserve radio coverage.

Maryland at UConn - so is espn trying to screw UConn, AAC, Maryland or... the B1G?!?

Also how many posts until Warde is blamed?

Reaction Score
I've suspected since early on, that we would be on ESPN3, and hoped that we would also get plenty of actual television exposure too. What the rest of the season looks like, we'll eventually see. It's still possible that we may end up on TV, regular TV, in decent slots pretty regularly.

I like the 7:30pm kickoff for Maryland @ UCONN. THat's awesome.

The majority of games listed are not going to be big eyeball draws, but for the people that will watch, being put on a digital medium that is pushing the envelope and forcing people to log on, and figure out how to get the game on their big flat screens, is a pretty good marketing move by ESPN. No problem from me there.

BUt the issue is understanding CT and the northeast market. AT&T UVerse, Verizon FiOS, Direct TV, etc. Connecticut is the middle of a battleground of some industry giants in technology, and it's crystal clear.....

That putting a game like Maryland @ UCONN solely on ESPN3, is meant to change the battle lines for those television carriers, because you can't link up to WatchESPN, if you don't have the right carrier - as of right now.

I am so god damn tired of getting used as ESPN's pawn. It's been this way for 30 years, ESPN has been using UCONN football and basketball broadcasts to build their networks. Yes - football too, was broadcasted by ESPN from memorial stadium a long, long time ago.

We just need to win. God damn it all - win football games. All of them.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
UConn-Maryland on espn freaking 3? You got to be kidding me.

Some day we'll find out if the 2014 aac/espn agreement counts espn3 as a national platform. And if it does, the idiocy of not buying back our media rights from the aac for $2m and in turn, contracting with sny, will be one of the biggest ups ever demonstrated from uconn leadership on an athletic issue.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
UConn-Maryland on espn freaking 3? You got to be kidding me.

Some day we'll find out if the 2014 aac/espn agreement counts espn3 as a national platform. And if it does, the idiocy of not buying back our media rights from the aac for $2m and in turn, contracting with sny, will be one of the biggest ups ever demonstrated from uconn leadership on an athletic issue.

You act like this was even an option.

Look we've sucked the past two seasons, and even when we're good our brand of football isn't much watch tv.

we're playing towson on ESPN3, . People here are bitching about that

Then we have Maryland, who as others have mentioned, have been busy as abysmal as us.

I'll wait till i see the final tv schedule before final judgment.

Reaction Score
A 5-7 team versus 4-8 team. Very compelling matchup. Should be on ABC nationwide. C'mon Warde, get on this. HFD, start tweeting about the injustice.

You've been talking to Dan too much and are wound up.

Maryland @ UCONN is a very compelling matchup for two fan bases. It does not deserve national attention, but it sure as hell would draw eyeballs on regional based broadcast.

never mind football - look at it from who provided television service. Raycom, SNY, Comcast, Direct TV, AT&T UVerse, Verizon Fios, etc. etc. You think that if SNY had the chance to broadcast this game, that they wouldn't jump all over it? Raycom - or whatever Maryland broadcasts regulary on?

I am actually very much fine with being on ESPN3. (away games) - home games don't matter to me beyond kickoff time, and I like the 730 kick.

I've prepared for it. I know how to link my TV to the ESPN3 feed so I can watch on my TV at home, and I don't have an issue because I've got the right carriers for television to my house to do it.

My point is that ESPN3, to be able to watch on anything except a computer screen, you need to have an "approved" television service by ESPN, and I guarantee there will be people in both Maryland and Connecticut that want to watch this game - a lot of them, that won't be able to do it on anything but a computer screen, unless they change their television carrier.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, whatever. ESPN did the same thing with UCONN sports, when Comcast was battling about putting ESPNU on lower tier broadcasting packages.

SNY - look at SNY - they were added to basic services in CT in a heartbeat because of UCONN sports.

i'm not a crazy person, and warde manuel isn' t at fault for everything. The guy has shown the ability to learn, and that's good.

Reaction Score
I've suspected since early on, that we would be on ESPN3, and hoped that we would also get plenty of actual television exposure too. What the rest of the season looks like, we'll eventually see. It's still possible that we may end up on TV, regular TV, in decent slots pretty regularly.

I like the 7:30pm kickoff for Maryland @ UCONN. THat's awesome.

The majority of games listed are not going to be big eyeball draws, but for the people that will watch, being put on a digital medium that is pushing the envelope and forcing people to log on, and figure out how to get the game on their big flat screens, is a pretty good marketing move by ESPN. No problem from me there.

BUt the issue is understanding CT and the northeast market. AT&T UVerse, Verizon FiOS, Direct TV, etc. Connecticut is the middle of a battleground of some industry giants in technology, and it's crystal clear.....

That putting a game like Maryland @ UCONN solely on ESPN3, is meant to change the battle lines for those television carriers, because you can't link up to WatchESPN, if you don't have the right carrier - as of right now.

I am so god damn tired of getting used as ESPN's pawn. It's been this way for 30 years, ESPN has been using UCONN football and basketball broadcasts to build their networks. Yes - football too, was broadcasted by ESPN from memorial stadium a long, long time ago.

We just need to win. God damn it all - win football games. All of them.

I remember us playing Georgia Tech on ESPNU in it's infancy. There were plenty of other examples but this is blatant garbage. Isn't the ACC in the big 5 or does MD not count anymore? I see most of the others with one questionable matchup on esp3 but we have that plus MD.

Reaction Score
I remember us playing Georgia Tech on ESPNU in it's infancy. There were plenty of other examples but this is blatant garbage. Isn't the ACC in the big 5 or does MD not count anymore? Rutty probably finding themselves in the same predicament.

What's your point? Home teams control television rights. I don't think we were dumb enough to give that up.

Reaction Score
I assume both will be in SNY but I will obviously be at both in person.

If both Towson and Maryland are simultaneously broadcast on SNY and ESPN3, then everything I"ve said is indeed garbage. We'll see. I doubt that either game will be available on anything but ESPN3. TIme will tell.

Tablets, handhelds, xbox 360, digital internet feeds directly into television sets, this is the future that I see going for television viewing, and we're on the forefront. UCONN has been on the forefront of sports broadcasting for ESPN networks since 1979.

I'm not happy about it, because it's also led us to where we are as a conference affiliate, but I also know that I can't do anything to change it, other than embrace it, and promote it.

So figure out how to watch ESPN3 on your television sets. XBOX 360 is pretty much the easiest way. I'm no video game player, but I know plenty younger guys are.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It could be argued that ESPN3 has a wider footprint and is better exposure than ESPNU. Example: ESPNU is not available in my area unless you have at least the digital preferred cable package. It is not on the lower tier, where they even offer a regional sports network's overflow (NESN+ is channel 84). On the other hand who has cable nowadays without Internet? In tough economic times, such as the one we are still in, it actually makes sense for some households to have Internet without cable.

Think outside the box, people. This may actually be a really good thing.

I'm glad this game is on ESPN3. We're planning on being in Denver that weekend and I know I can watch ESPN3 on my phone (Yes, my ticket will be used).

Reaction Score
It came across wrong, in my OP because I'm just tired of getting used by ESPN, and would simply prefer that ESPN execs simply come out and publicly state, "hey, you know what? We think that this si the way that TV should be going and were going to use your athletic events to push it." That would at least be up front and honest, and people would actually be more proactive in changing the industry to fit their needs, rather than waiting to get pissed off that they can't watch something.

I think that ESPN3 , IS a much greater broadcast platform than anything other than ESPN main, or ESPN2.

THe thing is - you need to figure out how to watch it, and I have no doubt in my mind that UCONN - in the state of CT 3 million + residents - is being used to drive subscribers in different directions.

FYI - you can't watchESPN app, if you have direct TV. Direct TV has a lot of subscribers in CT, and Direct TV owns all it's share, to their ties to the NFL, and ESPN wants the NFL.

It's going to be a battle royale.

FYI - In 2014, the contracts that ESPN has for watchESPN are up, and at that point Direct TV may, or may not, be added as a chosen provider. (Right now there are 8 carriers that allow a guy like 25 to watch UCONN on his tablet in Denver) Direct TV is not one. Verizon is one, but FiOs is not availbel in large sections of CT, were AT&T uverse has markert share.

CT is a television carrier war zone.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Its the type if game usually listed as ESPN3, ACC, and RSN on the ACC schedules. If you think about it that makes some sense. I didn't find an updated ACC Network schedule yet

Husky25

Reaction Score
It came across wrong, in my OP because I'm just tired of getting used by ESPN, and would simply prefer that ESPN execs simply come out and publicly state, "hey, you know what? We think that this si the way that TV should be going and were going to use your athletic events to push it." That would at least be up front and honest, and people would actually be more proactive in changing the industry to fit their needs, rather than waiting to get pissed off that they can't watch something.

I think that ESPN3 , IS a much greater broadcast platform than anything other than ESPN main, or ESPN2.

THe thing is - you need to figure out how to watch it, and I have no doubt in my mind that UCONN - in the state of CT 3 million + residents - is being used to drive subscribers in different directions.

FYI - you can't watchESPN app, if you have direct TV. Direct TV has a lot of subscribers in CT, and Direct TV owns all it's share, to their ties to the NFL, and ESPN wants the NFL.

It's going to be a battle royale.

FYI - In 2014, the contracts that ESPN has for watchESPN are up, and at that point Direct TV may, or may not, be added as a chosen provider. (Right now there are 8 carriers that allow a guy like 25 to watch UCONN on his tablet in Denver) Direct TV is not one. Verizon is one, but FiOs is not availbel in large sections of CT, were AT&T uverse has markert share.

CT is a television carrier war zone.
...And as always, there will probably be less reputable ways of watching the game...

Reaction Score
It could be argued that ESPN3 has a wider footprint and is better exposure than ESPNU. Example: ESPNU is not available in my area unless you have at least the digital preferred cable package. It is not on the lower tier, where they even offer a regional sports network's overflow (NESN+ is channel 84). On the other hand who has cable nowadays without Internet? In tough economic times, such as the one we are still in, it actually makes sense for some households to have Internet without cable.

Think outside the box, people. This may actually be a really good thing.

I'm glad this game is on ESPN3. We're planning on being in Denver that weekend and I know I can watch ESPN3 on my phone (Yes, my ticket will be used).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one requires a cable TV subscription as well as an internet subscription to access ESPN3, no?

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but one requires a cable TV subscription as well as an internet subscription to access ESPN3, no?

I actually don't know the answer to this question - but questions like this - are exactly what ESPN wants hundreds, and thousands, and then tens of thousands and more and more to be asking.

I'm pretty sure that you don't need both, although it's unusual to have one and not the other. I know that with an internet link, and a browser, you can access espn3.com and watch whatever is up there on your computer screen. I also know that to watch on TV, if all you have is a web browser to access espn3, your stuck with your computer screen, or you hook your computer up with an HDMI cable, but the television quality may not be so great at all.

But when you go through watchESPN app downloaded to a phone or tablet, or whatever, or have some other device working (XBOX for instance) - that accesses ESPN3, the television quality is fantastic, but you need to have 1 of 8 different television carriers wired to your home somewhere.

I'm pissed off right now too, that I don't get paid to write all this crap for the people that do get paid.

I don't think all of our games will be on espn3, they can't be. But unless I'm incredibly off base, anyone wanting watch all 12 UCONN football games this season, anywhere in the world, will be able to do so, and that's a good thing, and being on the forefront of new television broadcast mediums is a good thing to, so as long as you can link to espn3 somehow, so everyone should figure out how to watch it, and for those of us that actually go to games, we only need to be concerned about away games anyway.

But anyway - I'm psyched for a 730pm kick for Maryland. A September Saturday afternoon of tailgating and then the game. Hopefully the football gods bless us with a great September day.

Reaction Score
I think you do need a cable TV subscription because you have to login with access from the cable TV provider

Reaction Score
As you may know, simulcasts of network content are going to be (mostly) removed from E3 beginning today. WatchESPN is the primary digital destination by which to consume content from our linear networks. ESPN3 will continue to focus on exclusive events, with more than 3,500 in the next year alone. See this Front Row story for more: http://frontrow.espn.go.com/2012/08/sample-espn3s-vast-sports-menu-college-football-us-open-cricket/

Because there is a gap between those who have access to ESPN3 (73m) and those who have access to WatchESPN (40m), we're anticipating some negative fan reaction beginning with the first weekend of college football (9/1). We are concerned that talent might be hit on Twitter with questions about the changes. We don't want you to have to get involved, but we do want you to be prepared and know where to direct fans, should you get questions.

We suggest that you respond to fans by saying,

@ESPN_FanCentral can help you with questions about WatchESPN and ESPN3 content.

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to Amy Phillips or Kristie Chong in Communications.

Amy.Phillips@espn.com
Kristie.Chong@espn.com

Thanks so much!

That's an internal ESPN email that anyone can find online - it showed up on deadspin in august 2012. 11 months ago.

My biggest issue with ESPN is that they are so corrupted and mismanaged by Disney. They used to be honest over there. Look at this email. Instead of telling people straight up what's going on, they're playing damage control behind the scenes, and expecting sports fans to be the same lemmings that Disney movie viewers are.

I would love to see ESPN come out and just be honest.

ESPN3, several years ago, was a new technology and it sucked to watch a game on it. It's not anymore. But it is a platform, that ESPN is going to use to drive where people sent their subscription television payments.

Have a nice weekend all.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think you do need a cable TV subscription because you have to login with access from the cable TV provider

I don't know that to be true, but I have both through Comcast. I'm not sure of the restrictions of the Internet without cable service.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I believe the WatchESPN app is coming shortly to AppleTV devices... And at least on my iPhone, I was able to... "test"... access to live streams with my father in laws Cox credentials.

Reaction Score
I believe the WatchESPN app is coming shortly to AppleTV devices... And at least on my iPhone, I was able to... "test"... access to live streams with my father in laws Cox credentials.
It was just released on AppleTV a few days ago. Just update the software and it should be there. So far I think AppleTV and Xbox are the only set top boxes to have it.

Reaction Score
You can also buy PlayOn for $70 that will let you do it on your TV through a PS3.

Or Plex supposedly works as well (free I think, but no idea if it works).

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I take a contrarian view on this...

Our TV contract sucks. ESPN3 sucks. So be it.

However, we need to be representing at the turnstile, and in atmosphere. A night kick-off vs. Maryland, in mid-September is DOWNRIGHT IDEAL. I'll take a better kick time over a marginally better coverage schedule (ie I'll take 7:30 on ESPN over noon on SNY/RSN's).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom