ESPN3 it is. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ESPN3 it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Like I posted page ago there are variables.

The Mets play so the SNY audience would be CT only.

I would imagine that this game was selected as Tier 2 and ESPN can choose to sell the rights to SNY or MASN or can keep as ESPN3 exclusive.

Is ESPN3 that hard to access if you aren't local? I've shared my password with people in the past on the Boneyard and I'm sure we can drum up enough for people who really can't find a way to watch. ESPN.com insider used to give access. That's like $5, but don't know if that changed.

If you are local you should really just be in attendance.
thank you, i'll be attending, just wondered/

Reaction Score
Totally wish I hadn't written this up and started this. Because the wrong message came across. Oh well.

#1. If you're local - as I've written - many times in this thread - none of this matters, because like me - you'll be in the stadium.

#2. UCONN sports have been a primary broadcast material for ESPN to drive new markets, and new ideas in broadcasting for a long time, all the way back til when ESPN was in trailers in 1979.

#3. ESPN3 is a new idea in broadcasting, and new medium, that can change lots of things between satellite TV and cable TV....see #2.

#4. I'm tired of ESPN using UCONN, and not being open and honest about it, and I know if not for ESPN, and the Big East conference, we're the equivalent of UMASS, URI, UNH, Vermont and Maine now, and I realize that. But they could still acknowledge it.

#5. ESPN3 is a hell of a lot better in 2013, than it was in 2008.

I can't wait for football.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They had trailers. We had trailers!

Carl it's on ESPN3 because they wanted the late start for the holiday. It's not some wacky conspiracy about the most valuable broadcasting entity in the world somehow further building out their empire on teams that are a combined 16-32 the last two years.

Reaction Score
Yes, it exactly does explain it. UConn didn't just let the conference and network put the cgame where it would have the best coverage -- they asked for it to be at night so, like, a chunk of paying season tickets holders and donors would be able to go to the game, and were willing to live with the tv consequences of the decision. Instead of worrying about whether it would fit or not fit into your grand tv strategy.

Please don't jump headfirst into the HFD zone of ludicrous self-importance. Sometimes a woman actually does just have a headache.

NO. It does not explain why this game is on ESPN3 exclusive, and until it comes out that it is exclusive on ESPN3, everything I've written is valid. I don't give a rats ass what religious affiliation anyone has. Religion is simply a way to explain reality to the feeble minded. (and I do believe in God - very strongly) But, I agree, requesting a night game on Yom Kippur, IF - in fact, that was actually what happened, and I'm pretty sure that Susan Herbst, as well as many other CT residents, and UCONN affiliates, and fans, and ticket holders, recognizes Yom Kippur - and an effort to recognize the religious affiliation of people that may want to attend the game was made. So (K(ing what? We're still playing a Saturday prime time game, and a game that has been relegated to ESPN3. Would you rather play at noon on SNY? Not me. I'd rather be primetime. Noon on Saturdays is not primetime.

If this game, is also simultaneously, broadcast on regional televistion networks, then everything I've said is wrong, and I'm sorry.

If not, STFU. I'm in no mood for bleeding hearts. I"ve seen enough blood.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just checked the Mets schedule and there are no Mets conflicts for the Townson or the Maryland games, hopefully these games end up on SNY.

An ESPN 3 only game is a non televised game, and hurts the promotion of the football program and school.

BTW the Western Michigan game was shown on SNY on tape delay.

What Mets schedule are you looking at?

They play 2 with the Marlins at 4:10 the day of the Maryland game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
NO. It does not explain why this game is on ESPN3 exclusive, and until it comes out that it is exclusive on ESPN3, everything I've written is valid. I don't give a rats ass what religious affiliation anyone has. Religion is simply a way to explain reality to the feeble minded. (and I do believe in God - very strongly) But, I agree, requesting a night game on Yom Kippur, IF - in fact, that was actually what happened, and I'm pretty sure that Susan Herbst, as well as many other CT residents, and UCONN affiliates, and fans, and ticket holders, recognizes Yom Kippur - and an effort to recognize the religious affiliation of people that may want to attend the game was made. So (K(ing what? We're still playing a Saturday prime time game, and a game that has been relegated to ESPN3. Would you rather play at noon on SNY? Not me. I'd rather be primetime. Noon on Saturdays is not primetime.

If this game, is also simultaneously, broadcast on regional televistion networks, then everything I've said is wrong, and I'm sorry.

If not, STFU. I'm in no mood for bleeding hearts. I"ve seen enough blood.

Um yes it does. There are only so many spots for games at night on their networks and this one in their opinion isn't good enough.

They could have let ESPN schedule the game and had the noon syndicated game or maybe a 3:30 slot on ESPNU.

It explains it perfectly but since you didn't know when you started ranting you aren't going to stop now.

Reaction Score
If you're close enough to complain that you can't watch on ESPNU regional or SNY you're close enough to get to gdamn East Hartford by 730.

NEXXXXXT

Reaction Score
I have DirecTV for TV and AT&T Uverse for Internet. The Uverse allows me to stream it in the house but because I don't have Uverse for TV I can't log into it remotely.

Reaction Score
I have DirecTV for TV and AT&T Uverse for Internet. The Uverse allows me to stream it in the house but because I don't have Uverse for TV I can't log into it remotely.

Actually that seems to no longer be the case. Just tried it. The thing that pisses me off is that I went to DirecTV in the beginning because Cablevision wouldn't carry ESPNU and I was missing tons of Uconn games. In the process I also got NESN and access to the NFL package. At the time Uverse only allowed 1 DVR in the house so they were not an option.

Switching to Uverse for TV would probably be what I do except I don't want to give up access for the NFL being a Packers fan. I will be at the games so this won't matter to me but it is frustrating being held hostage.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If you're close enough to complain that you can't watch on ESPNU regional or SNY you're close enough to get to gdamn East Hartford by 730.

NEXXXXXT

This would only be true if you believe that UConn should only have a maximum of 40,000 people watch their games. I, on the other hand, would like a much larger percentage of the 3.5 million residents of the state of Connecticut as well as surrounding states to watch us too. But that's just me...

Let me be clear; ESPN3 >> no coverage. There's no doubt about that. But better than SNY / ESPN regional coverage for "Edsall Bowl II"?!? Absolutely not...

Reaction Score
I read on another board that the new AAC TV contract with ESPN does not take effect until November (basketball season) and is not in effect for this football season. Anyone know if that is the case?

Edit: Nevermind, I found the answer in a courant article. The old contract (that will never die) is still in effect. So it seems likely that at least the Maryland game (which will get a big rating) will end up on SNY.

The conference's current football contract with ESPN expires after the 2013 season. All sports — football, basketball and Olympic sports — will be covered under the same agreement by the 2014-15

Reaction Score
If you live down South, ESPN3 is great. I watch it on my iPad with watch ESPN app.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Actually that seems to no longer be the case. Just tried it. The thing that pisses me off is that I went to DirecTV in the beginning because Cablevision wouldn't carry ESPNU and I was missing tons of Uconn games. In the process I also got NESN and access to the NFL package. At the time Uverse only allowed 1 DVR in the house so they were not an option.

Switching to Uverse for TV would probably be what I do except I don't want to give up access for the NFL being a Packers fan. I will be at the games so this won't matter to me but it is frustrating being held hostage.

you should be able to do this on a computer (or some other native ESPN3 app, like on the xbox)

"WatchESPN" stuff that is simulcast on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU will be blacked out, unless you're on the short list of WatchESPN providers: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/affList?device=videosub. I have Charter for internet, so same issue as you - DirecTV for video.

Reaction Score
What's your point? Home teams control television rights. I don't think we were dumb enough to give that up.

Good question. We need to win some games is the only real point that doesn't sound like whining. Let's just do that.

Reaction Score
Yes, SNY will pick this up. All our football games on ESPN 3 are on SNY so you don't really need to freak out. Also, quit bitching and buy a ticket.

I reserve the right to buy a ticket AND beeatch.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Too early to say for sure, but the relegation to 3 was what most of us feared when Aresco announced the unprecedented access of this deal. I have access and play it on my flat screen, and it looks good, not quite as good as the main channels but world's better than pre-HD broadcasts, so I am okay with it. Just another reason for us to leave want to get the heck out of the AAC, though.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Too early to say for sure, but the relegation to 3 was what most of us feared when Aresco announced the unprecedented access of this deal. I have access and play it on my flat screen, and it looks good, not quite as good as the main channels but world's better than pre-HD broadcasts, so I am okay with it. Just another reason for us to leave want to get the heck out of the AAC, though.

That is a different deal, 2013 is still the old deal. Not sure why this is so difficult. The game being on ESPN3 is for one reason: They want to play at night because of the holiday.

It's nothing nefarious. It's not a comment on the state of the program. It's not even the end of the world.

Reaction Score
I know many are concerned that ESPN 3 will count as "television" under the new contract. I pulled the below bullet points from an ESPN article that ran after the deal was announced. I think this makes it pretty clear that ESPN 3 does not count as television.

Among the highlights of the deal as it relates to football:
  • Nearly 90 percent of the games will be carried on national broadcast or national cable.
  • The minimum number of telecasts collectively on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU will be higher than the number of telecasts in the current contract, which expires at the end of the 2013 season.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know many are concerned that ESPN 3 will count as "television" under the new contract. I pulled the below bullet points from an ESPN article that ran after the deal was announced. I think this makes it pretty clear that ESPN 3 does not count as television.

• [ ]Nearly 90 percent of the games will be carried on national broadcast or national cable.
    [ ]The minimum number of telecasts collectively on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU will be higher than the number of telecasts in the current contract, which expires at the end of the 2013 season.

Yeah at the time it was pretty obvious that the AAC should just be the AAC presented by ESPNU.

Reaction Score
you should be able to do this on a computer (or some other native ESPN3 app, like on the xbox)

"WatchESPN" stuff that is simulcast on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU will be blacked out, unless you're on the short list of WatchESPN providers: http://espn.go.com/watchespn/affList?device=videosub. I have Charter for internet, so same issue as you - DirecTV for video.

Ok. Was trying from my phone. It has worked on my PC in the past.

Reaction Score
Yeah at the time it was pretty obvious that the AAC should just be the AAC presented by ESPNU.

ESPN U isn't a bad thing these days. I think a majority of people who consider themselves sports fans have ESPN U and make it part of their channel surfing rotation. That's my guess anyway. Personally when I look for football on Saturday I go through ESPN, ESPN 2 and ESPN U and then go to the networks, I then decide what I want to watch but go back to the other channels to look for anything close or interesting. I'm not a BYU fan at all, but it was hard not to notice they were on a ESPN channel every week last year, I hope that UCONN gets the same treatment.

Reaction Score

• [ ]Nearly 90 percent of the games will be carried on national broadcast or national cable.
    [ ]The minimum number of telecasts collectively on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU will be higher than the number of telecasts in the current contract, which expires at the end of the 2013 season.

Nothing in that doesn't mean ESPN 3 won't be considered "television." ESPN 3 technically does broadcast nationally, and since the AAC will have more teams that the Big East there can be more games on those other four channels without taking away ESPN's ability to throw a bunch of games on ESPN 3.

Reaction Score
I think the MAC and AAC end up having nearly identical ESPN TV contracts. My understanding is that the AAC is merely converting their regional ESPN Plus games into ESPNU "national" games with the new 2014 contract.

http://www.espnplus.com/home/fb-schedules#besched

Those 10 games will then be ESPNU games and the ESPN Plus regional games will be cancelled.

The MAC is also currently renegotiating their ESPN Plus games (see same website above) and they will be on ESPNU along with a bit larger game package and an increase in money.

The AAC contract says that the games will be shown on ABC/ESPN/2/U but their is no contract language for a minimum on ABC. Last years ABC games were all either Syracuse or Louisville so I suspect that the AAC will have very few if any on ABC going forward.

ESPN will select their minimum number of ESPN/2/U games and then put most of the rest on ESPN3. The rest will be streamed on your digital package (XOS Digital - same as the MAC Digital Network)

http://www.xosdigital.com/mediakit....d66-47e4-8d0e-e49013743163/XOS-Digital-Sizzle

After our renegotiations this summer (according to CBS Sports article), the MAC and AAC TV deals and exposure will be nearly identicle.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks the AAC and MAC deals will be the same is forgetting about basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom