Ekmark Transfers... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ekmark Transfers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
Please take admin complaints to PM

Unlike you, I find this board to be anything but boring. To the contrary, I think it's the most interesting and informative of all the boards I look at. The rules, which you apparently dislike, help keep discussions civil and prevent speculation about transfers. Such speculation, from what I have seen on other boards, often degenerates into name-calling and negative comments about the player in question. To each his own, I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Permit mention of a "dark horse" possibility as a three-point shooting threat: Gabby Williams! I admit my evidence is scant, but here goes:

We arrived very early at B'port for the Texas game. A few players were warming up on their own. Gabby was among them, shooting one trey after another.

I read (here) that a teammate stated that Gabby is the vocal leader in current practices.

I seem to recall a significant improvement in her free-throws and mid-range shooting from freshman to sophomore seasons.

Finally, her superior athleticism and desire.

I rest my case. Let's see what happens, OK?

I totally agree with you Kib....as you can see from my moniker....I think there is a distinct possibility that Gabby will become a superstar and lead the huskies to a NC in 2017!

Reaction Score
I don't think it had anything to do with her injury. She wants to play meaningful minutes and that wasn't going to happen at UConn. She would be the last of the guards behind: Kia, Katie Lou, Crystal, Saniya and Molly. There wouldn't be many minutes for her again. Best of luck, Courtney.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm disappointed of course like all UCONN fans, but not surprised. I wish her nothing but the best. She was a joy to watch with her energy and enthusiasm and I'm sorry UCONN was not the right place for her. I'll certainly be rooting for her to light it up at ASU. Hope she drops 20 on Stanford in a win at Maples! :)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I agree it's a good move for her. And this opens the door of opportunity for The Unbreakable Molly Bent. Or maybe she'll break through the door.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
CE's two years studying under the UConn staff and playing in practice against the best cannot but stand her in very good stead in her new team, and I am sure that she will be a very good influence on her teammates also. Best of luck to her.

Reaction Score
Saw this coming. I don't fault or blame her one bit. Hang in there and keep the Faith wherever you go kid.

Reaction Score
I don't think it had anything to do with her injury. She wants to play meaningful minutes and that wasn't going to happen at UConn. She would be the last of the guards behind: Kia, Katie Lou, Crystal, Saniya and Molly. There wouldn't be many minutes for her again. Best of luck, Courtney.

Let's see what Molly does in college first before you crown her. Especially given Courtney was ranked higher than Molly coming out of high school by more than a mile.

Reaction Score
Guess I am not surprised, really. She was not going to get a great deal of playing time. ASU will absolutely love her, and she will do will in Charli Turner Thorne's system. She is probably as good a shooter as ASU has on its roster now. If they can get some height, ASU might be a pretty good team next year. But honestly, ASU always comes up a quality player short, or even two. They just cannot seem to recruit the really good basketball players to that school, men or women.

Reaction Score
I'm disappointed. A tale of two players. I saw Kiah Stokes struggle in her soph season getting chewed out by Geno a number of times. But she stuck with it and look at her now. I know Ekmark struggled last season but thought hey this could be another Stokes story. A different position but I thought she would be like Stokes and work on what she could do to help the team and make her mark. I thought she might be a force coming off the bench with her outside shot. Oh well.....good luck to her.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm disappointed. A tale of two players. I saw Kiah Stokes struggle in her soph season getting chewed out by Geno a number of times. But she stuck with it and look at her now. I know Ekmark struggled last season but thought hey this could be another Stokes story. A different position but I thought she would be like Stokes and work on what she could do to help the team and make her mark. I thought she might be a force coming off the bench with her outside shot. Oh well.....good luck to her.
Chong may be playing the Stokes role... but her limited playing time is also from the injury, unlike Stokes

Reaction Score
Too bad. Thought she could have an impact this season with some playing time opening up at guard.
Really! While we would like to see these players stay for the 4years, it was clear that she lost something in her junior year in HS, and never got it back. Increased playing time here would have been a surprise. I don't know much about ASU, but getting back home should be a joy for family and friends.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Chong may be playing the Stokes role... but her limited playing time is also from the injury, unlike Stokes
Stokes was also injured on and off her first couple of seasons at UConn. She missed time due to a nagging back injury, for example. I don't think we had a fully healthy Kiah until her junior season.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Molly is from New England which gets very little exposure to scouts.

A New England prep school league simply does not have the cachet (no, not the cache!) of a big-high school conference in, say, Texas.;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Molly is from New England which gets very little exposure to scouts. Besides, Geno doesn't care about rankings - see the below article.
Being from New England was a factor but the much bigger factor according to her HS coach was she was not committed solely to basketball.

"At that point in her life, her basketball skills were OK, Ivy League level," Coughlin said. "Once she stopped [soccer], well, she's such a hard worker that it wasn't long before it all began to change for her. I told [the talent evaluators] that she was the most improved kid I had ever seen over one year's time. "

UConn Women's Insider: Introducing Molly Bent

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
So far as I could tell, she gave 100% every chance she had. I will always respect that and hope that her best basketball hopes are finally realized, at whatever location. Go get em, Ek!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Molly is from New England which gets very little exposure to scouts. Besides, Geno doesn't care about rankings - see the below article.

Recruit Molly Bent represents a throwback for Auriemma's Huskies

Geno knows what type of players fit into his system. 31 years of experience have taught him what skills and attributes a player must have in order to fit in, and function in his system. Geno and his coaches are excellent evaluators of talent. When the assistant coaches scout potential recruits in person, they know the type of players Geno likes. Sometimes those players fall under the radar of the national ranking services. Geno only cares if they fit the profile that he prefers. It's common knowledge that UConn is not for everyone. Some players do not have the skill set, temperament, attitude or desire to play for him.

It's amusing that some coaches continue to whine and complain that Geno gets all of the best/top talent every year (which is not true), they whine and complain when they get beat by 40 points, but they won't attend one of his practices, not will they try and pick his brain as to his philosophy about assembling and coaching a WCBB team.

Obviously whatever he's doing works. The team's 11 NC's prove that. If I were an young and up and coming basketball coach, I'd attend a couple of his practices, them take him out to dinner and spend an hour (or two) listening to him explain to me the "blueprint" for how he does it. What's that old adage...........if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, or learn from the mistakes of others. Head bang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom