Ekmark Transfers... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ekmark Transfers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is the first that I have heard about this. As others have said, it is a good and sensible decision for her to make -- I think.

On the other hand, I think that she could have had an integral role on the 2016-17 UConn team, mainly as a backup to Lou at the wing / small forward / third guard position. If her 3-point shot were working, she might have been able to earn 15-18 minutes per game, and not just in garbage time.

This leaves the 2016-17 roster without any real depth in 3-point shooters. If (as I assume) UConn has an initial starting lineup of Natalie / Napheesa / Lou / Gabby / Kia, then the only two genuine 3-point threats among those five are Lou and Kia. Off the bench, there would be Crystal -- and then who? Kyla? Molly? It's not a fatal problem, but it is an annoyance -- rather like the absence of a dominating big player (also a problem in the upcoming year).

Agreed............probably a good move for Courtney although she most likely would have seen more playing time this year, next year she would be stuck behind a number of others ................for UConn the bench just got even shorter for the coming season..............hopefully the injury bug is just a preseason phenomenon

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well, this is a surprise, but not a shock. Probably a very good move for her, she should do very well at ASU and Uconn will survive, though I think they will miss her. As others say, there were a lot of minutes opening up this year and she was a fundamentally sound player and a great teammate.
And this is also why counting eggs before they hatch in terms of roster numbers in the modern universe of WCBB is unwise. This brings the total to 7 transfers over the last seven years I believe. The 2017 roster is now back to 12 with two offers outstanding. And the four player recruiting class of 2014 is now down to two remaining.
Best of luck to Courtney.

Reaction Score
“Courtney is a great kid and I am thankful to have had the opportunity to get to know her and her family,” Auriemma said. “Everyone at UConn misses her already and we wish her nothing but the best in the future.”

What a classy statement. "Everyone at UConn misses her already...."

So sorry to see her go. Perhaps she would have come into her own. Wonder whether her decision to stop playing high school ball and be homeschooled had anything to do with her slow start. She was big, tall, and talented. Honestly, I hope she blossoms back in Arizona, and becomes an All-American.

We'll be rooting for her.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What a classy statement. "Everyone at UConn misses her already...."

So sorry to see her go. Perhaps she would have come into her own. Wonder whether her decision to stop playing high school ball and be homeschooled had anything to do with her slow start. She was big, tall, and talented. Honestly, I hope she blossoms back in Arizona, and becomes an All-American.

We'll be rooting for her.
I think the injury her freshman year had more to do with it.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Joe your analysis excludes Saniya- a 35% three ball shooter for her career.

Permit mention of a "dark horse" possibility as a three-point shooting threat: Gabby Williams! I admit my evidence is scant, but here goes:

We arrived very early at B'port for the Texas game. A few players were warming up on their own. Gabby was among them, shooting one trey after another.

I read (here) that a teammate stated that Gabby is the vocal leader in current practices.

I seem to recall a significant improvement in her free-throws and mid-range shooting from freshman to sophomore seasons.

Finally, her superior athleticism and desire.

I rest my case. Let's see what happens, OK?

Reaction Score
So sorry to see Courtney transfer. Her enthusiasm and energy will be missed.

However, I am not surprised. What a transition it must be from AA HS star where the team revolves around you, to UConn, where every player has that same HS pedigree. It was difficult to figure when we recruited 4 guards in 2014 that all would stay. Gabby moving to forward and Sadie leaving helped with minutes, but I think based on playing time last year, the writing was on the wall.

I hope she has an amazing career at ASU. No one can take away her 2 championships. Maybe we will see her again in the tournament in 2018.

Reaction Score
ASU officially announces they've landed the UConn transfer. Will have 2 years left.
The best solution for all concerned. I only wish she made this decision last year, for her sake. She will give ASU a high intensity good defensive (she learned at Uconn) player--I wish her success in all she may endeavor--she is that kind of kid..

Reaction Score
So sorry to see Courtney transfer. Her enthusiasm and energy will be missed.

However, I am not surprised. What a transition it must be from AA HS star where the team revolves around you, to UConn, where every player has that same HS pedigree. It was difficult to figure when we recruited 4 guards in 2014 that all would stay. Gabby moving to forward and Sadie leaving helped with minutes, but I think based on playing time last year, the writing was on the wall.

I hope she has an amazing career at ASU. No one can take away her 2 championships. Maybe we will see her again in the tournament in 2018.

Courtney was hampered by early, at Uconn, injuries and never was able to break through the layers of talent that filled the void.
She does not need our wishes because she has the drive to succeed--but I too wish her well..

Reaction Score
Agreed..probably a good move for Courtney although she most likely would have seen more playing time this year, next year she would be stuck behind a number of others ......for UConn the bench just got even shorter for the coming season....hopefully the injury bug is just a preseason phenomenon
Charlie --I always respect your opinion but you assume something that has not come to pass--she MAY have improved her health and injury and her 3 ball and probably defense--if so, with her desire, she may have broken the talent barrier.

Reaction Score
Charlie --I always respect your opinion but you assume something that has not come to pass--she MAY have improved her health and injury and her 3 ball and probably defense--if so, with her desire, she may have broken the talent barrier.

True......I'll rephrase it..........she would be facing additional competition for playing time with all of the new additions next year...........BTW Arizona State is going to be a pretty good team with a well respected coach so she's not only moving closer to home she's stepping into a good situation there

Reaction Score
On the other hand, I think that she could have had an integral role on the 2016-17 UConn team, mainly as a backup to Lou at the wing / small forward / third guard position. If her 3-point shot were working, she might have been able to earn 15-18 minutes per game, and not just in garbage time.

I'm very skeptical. Has any Geno player gone from 0 playing time in her first 2 years to significant time as a Junior? I don't think so.

UConn was already destined to have a short bench next year. This does give less room for error (eg, injury) to be sure.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I'm very skeptical. Has any Geno player gone from 0 playing time in her first 2 years to significant time as a Junior? I don't think so.

UConn was already destined to have a short bench next year. This does give less room for error (eg, injury) to be sure.

Purely off of the top of my head, I don't think Maria Conlon logged a ton of minutes her first two years in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Wow... I didn't see this coming. She's a great kid. I do believe that she will flourish at ASU. Best of Luck Courtney, I'll be watching for any televised ASU games now :)
Thank you for your contribution.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We always hate to lose a player to transfer. I join with other posters that wish Courtney all the best at ASU. I may take a few hits for this, but that's OK. I can't recall the poster that suggested back in April that either or both Ekmark /Chong might transfer this summer. That post was met with a lot of cynicism and disagreement. Those types of posts are not popular here, but they do give one pause to consider the possibility. It was not a condescending post, but just one that suggested the possibility down the road.

I remember reading that post, and just kept it in the back of my mind. As Nan asked, I'm not going to speculate as to why she decided to leave. The "why" is not important. It is never my wish or intent to second guess or call out a UConn player. True fans don't do that. We support our girls...............period. As the poster suggested, and some others agree, similar to the Brianna Banks decision, this move did not come as a total surprise. When ever a player decides to transfer, they have decided it is in their best interest to do so. You can never fault anyone for doing that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Purely off of the top of my head, I don't think Maria Conlon logged a ton of minutes her first two years in Storrs.

Conlon played in the Semifinal game as a frosh in the 1st half, averaged 17 mins as a soph, and was kind of the only option after Wolff got injured.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
At the end of the day, makes me wonder if she were fooling herself initially when she chose UConn over Stanford. If she'd gone to the latter, she probably would have had much more playing time (once healthy) and would be at an institution that is academically superior to ASU -- but without the national championship experiences! Life's tradeoffs!

Reaction Score
True.I'll rephrase it.....she would be facing additional competition for playing time with all of the new additions next year......BTW Arizona State is going to be a pretty good team with a well respected coach so she's not only moving closer to home she's stepping into a good situation there
Sorry Charlie--No need to rephrase, what you said was great--I didn't intent to "nitpick" but there it was nitpicking!! What you say here is accurate and true.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, makes me wonder if she were fooling herself initially when she chose UConn over Stanford. If she'd gone to the latter, she probably would have had much more playing time (once healthy) and would be at an institution that is academically superior to ASU -- but without the national championship experiences! Life's tradeoffs!

If Courtney was "fooling" herself, she fooled Geno too--she was a standout on her HS Team took off her senior year to play BB with the guys to prepare for Uconn and to become more physically capable--That my friend is dedication.
Her injury as a Frosh hindered her development at Uconn and allowed others to fill the void she left. We'll never know what a fully functional Courtney may have accomplished.
I just changed my Avatar or you'd know my feelings about and of Courtney. She's a tough determined kid--ASU is a great fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom