Edsall Dumpster Fire, Worse than P or D, by far. | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Edsall Dumpster Fire, Worse than P or D, by far.

Reaction Score
Lost in how awful the defense is is the fact that the offense really doesn't do squat after the first half this year. Dunn comes out with a really solid opening set of plays, to the point that our first drive of the game is usually our best looking one. And then other teams make adjustments and we are completely stifled.

I actually think Dunn is doing a great job. Feel bad he gets thrown in with the rest of the dumpster fire. I have been fine with the O and fine with the progress the D Line has been making. All other coaches need to take a hard look at themselves and figure out how they can get maximum potential out of players.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I know this won't be popular amongst many but the fact we pay our Women's Basketball coach double what we pay our football coach is a huge reason why football will never improve.

Look, I love Geno and he is worth every penny of his $2 million contract. However, Women's Basketball isn't going to get us anywhere in the future CR world. It didn't get us anywhere before and it won't be of any help in the future.

The B1G or ACC won't choose us over another school because our Women's Basketball team dominates every year and we have a hall of fame coach.

I hate this opinion but we will never compete when we spend more on Women's Basketball than we do on Football. It's the unfortunate truth. Once again, if we want to keep our women's team at a high level, then maybe it's time to rethink football

I have no problem paying Geno his money. He's earned it. But you're 1000% right - we prioritize WBB over football...by ALOT. By well over double, in just comparing head coach salary to head coach salary. We are the only school/AD in the entire country that prioritizes WBB over football by that significant of a financial gap.

At the very least, we need to commit to paying football coaches dollar for dollar with WBB. If we just did that, that puts us in a salary bracket that could hire someone like Dino Babers or Les Miles or (insert another high profile coach name here) in the $2.5-$3M/yr range. We would make the same national headlines as Kansas just did - that we're serious about football and are trying to position ourselves for the ACC at some point in the distant future.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Lost in how awful the defense is is the fact that the offense really doesn't do squat after the first half this year. Dunn comes out with a really solid opening set of plays, to the point that our first drive of the game is usually our best looking one. And then other teams make adjustments and we are completely stifled.

Overall I am happy with what first year OC Dunn is doing. We can move the ball. Play calling is pretty decent. Guys seem to know what they are doing. But you are right, our offense has struggled to adjust based on a successful adjustment by the defense.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I know this won't be popular amongst many but the fact we pay our Women's Basketball coach double what we pay our football coach is a huge reason why football will never improve.

Look, I love Geno and he is worth every penny of his $2 million contract. However, Women's Basketball isn't going to get us anywhere in the future CR world. It didn't get us anywhere before and it won't be of any help in the future.

The B1G or ACC won't choose us over another school because our Women's Basketball team dominates every year and we have a hall of fame coach.

I hate this opinion but we will never compete when we spend more on Women's Basketball than we do on Football. It's the unfortunate truth. Once again, if we want to keep our women's team at a high level, then maybe it's time to rethink football

The fallacy is that a prosperous women's program prevents us from having a prosperous football program. And it is indeed a fallacy.

The rethink of football should include a higher commitment, not a lower one. And certainly not a lower commitment to another program that wins national championships regularly and keeps the good game of UConn in such high regard...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Overall I am happy with what first year OC Dunn is doing. We can move the ball. Play calling is pretty decent. Guys seem to know what they are doing. But you are right, our offense has struggled to adjust based on a successful adjustment by the defense.

It's not a failure to adjust.

They feel defeated by the second quarter, as do we all. It becomes harder to push, harder to sprint, harder to perform. We don't have an offense problem. We have a colossal defense problem...

Dooley

Reaction Score
The fallacy is that a prosperous women's program prevents us from having a prosperous football program. And it is indeed a fallacy.

The rethink of football should include a higher commitment, not a lower one. And certainly not a lower commitment to another program that wins national championships regularly and keeps the good game of UConn in such high regard...

Agreed. I have no problem with paying Geno his money. He's a HOF coach and the absolute best in his field. If UConn just made a commitment to pay its football head coach whatever it pays Geno, then we would be able to offer a very good coaching candidate a very good salary. Tops in G5 and on par with a good number of P5 ADs. That sends a very strong message that UConn is committed to football and playing all of its sports at the highest possible level.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That sends a very strong message that UConn is committed to football and playing all of its sports at the highest possible level.

More messages? How many messages do we have to send?

Dooley

Reaction Score
More messages? How many messages do we have to send?

I'd settle for one simple message that isn't "every school in the AAC prioritizes football more seriously than UConn".

Reaction Score
I'd settle for one simple message that isn't "every school in the AAC prioritizes football more seriously than UConn".
They do it because it's easier for them. Memphis is all in on football and men's basketball these days.

Reaction Score
You guys are wrong that our 22 championships in other sports don't matter. Just saying. Also have market and location
How have they helped us to date?

Reaction Score
Agreed. I have no problem with paying Geno his money. He's a HOF coach and the absolute best in his field. If UConn just made a commitment to pay its football head coach whatever it pays Geno, then we would be able to offer a very good coaching candidate a very good salary. Tops in G5 and on par with a good number of P5 ADs. That sends a very strong message that UConn is committed to football and playing all of its sports at the highest possible level.
What's the old saying? "You get what you pay for!"

Dooley

Reaction Score
They do it because it's easier for them. Memphis is all in on football and men's basketball these days.

Memphis being all in on football and MBB is a smart play for them. It's their only shot at making P5 money. If that happened, it would make for another commuter community college level school leapfrogging UConn.

Dooley

Reaction Score
What's the old saying? "You get what you pay for!"

Spot on. Right now, we're getting exactly what we pay for. Nothing but blowout losses and excuses.

Reaction Score

Easier said than done, one should realize the size of the staff has doubled since Randy's first stint. That was part of his offer of taking a bargain rate as Jeff would not find money to keep assistants.
No spitting match but the school is spending way more on football than WBB....

A Look At UConn's Top Teams' Attendance, Revenue And Expenses

Football Coaches - UConn Huskies | University of Connecticut Athletics
Women's Basketball Coaches - UConn Huskies | University of Connecticut Athletics
Much different size of staffs here......Not to mention 85 schollies compared to a dozen.

Reaction Score
Do they allow partial qualifiers?

They did in this scenario - partial qualifiers usually have to spend their first year in college/JUCO passing the classes they need to become a full qualifier. They can accept a scholarship, practice right away but CANNOT compete for 1 full year and then only granted 3 years of eligibility. They then have 4 years to play 3 seasons.

Since there was no football games scheduled in 2016 for UAB - they could enroll, study and practice getting ready for 2017 season. Unique situation.

C

Chief00

I want the most talent you can get to the point we just barely qualify academically. That’s the one Randy excuse I agree with. Lower the academic standards for any guy with a helmet and cleats.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The 2017 Class had 6 commits @ this point in time. (Actually it was 5 and PWO Keating).

If the numbers don't bumped up after the Early Signing Days in December (12/19>12/21) - your agita should rightfully increase.

Oh, yes, the vaunted 2017 recruiting class that's doing so well.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Temple, Pitt, Cuse, BC, Penn St... look at the seasons these schools are having. They aren’t losing to horrible teams by 30-40 points.

True, but the latter four schools you mention are all P5s, a built in recruiting advantage over us. Temple is our only peer institution in the same recruiting area.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
To all the people who think we can play 3 coaches north of $2.5M a year where exactly is that money coming from? We aren't in the P5, and we don't have a culture of winning football how exactly is this money going to appear for us to pay for a Les Miles type of coach.

Reaction Score
To all the people who think we can play 3 coaches north of $2.5M a year where exactly is that money coming from? We aren't in the P5, and we don't have a culture of winning football how exactly is this money going to appear for us to pay for a Les Miles type of coach.
Maybe start cancelling some non revenue sports? Just spitballing. Hard choices need to be made sometimes.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Maybe start cancelling some non revenue sports? Just spitballing. Hard choices need to be made sometimes.

It's already been mentioned that our athletic department is easily 20 million dollars bigger than the likes of cincy and others.

It's not about the other sports. Mismanagement? Sure. But not the other sports...

Reaction Score
It's already been mentioned that our athletic department is easily 20 million dollars bigger than the likes of cincy and others.

It's not about the other sports. Mismanagement? Sure. But not the other sports...
What are some examples of mismanaging. Last I checked UConn sponsored more sports than a lot of other schools, but its been a while since I checked. If we're talking things like buying out Diaco, all schools buy out coaches.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
What are some examples of mismanaging. Last I checked UConn sponsored more sports than a lot of other schools, but its been a while since I checked. If we're talking things like buying out Diaco, all schools buy out coaches.

We're talking about things like mismanaging contracts and such. Mismanaging ticket prices. Mismanaging the hires in the first place.

But it's NOT about men's swimming or women's tennis...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom