Edsall Dumpster Fire, Worse than P or D, by far. | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Edsall Dumpster Fire, Worse than P or D, by far.

C

Chief00

That makes sense. You have 0 idea how these freshman are going to turn out.
Some of the first class has completed 2 out of 4 years. Others, 2 out of 5. The second class is 20-25% done. College goes by fast.

Thus far, one Randy guy jumps off the page - Pindell and he’s a senior. Other guys such as the Jones boys and Robinson should be good. The LB coming in from JUCO will be good too. Washington is a good athlete but he’s struggled with off the field issues. Our best unit is the OL and it’s made up mostly of Diaco recruits. True, some guys may eventually surprise on the upside but thus far, it’s not a good start. I wish it was but it’s been,quite frankly, pretty bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I'm on record as saying that I think many of these freshman and some sophomores are going to be very good players in 2 years.

I'm also on record as asking why on earth we can't be remotely competent on defense with what we've currently got against the likes of Tulsa, ECU, etc. We are giving up record levels of points against horrible teams, seemingly with no for formational adjustments or improvement in techniques.

Something's gotta give here. The idea that the coaching staff has no accountability for another 2 years is laughable, and the season ticket holders are responding...
It’s one thing to lose to the AAC heavyweights. I can live with that. But when you squeak by/lose to FCS opponents, and you’re getting smoked by teams in conference that you should have a 50/50 shot, then it becomes unwatchable.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think Benedict is doing a good job. He got rid of Diaco. He got rid of Ollie. He got us a rock star basketball coach. Edsall is not a superstar. He is a builder. He'll can the DC 5 minutes after the season ends and start working on a replacement. They will get better. Once UCONN is a decent .500 team, Edsall will retire and the position will be more attractive to up and coming head football coaches.
DB is a db

Reaction Score
I'm told by my source on the football team that the coaches would love see Steven Krajewski gain 10 pounds of muscle. He is a terrific passer and has good speed but needs to be able to take a hit. He is our future but needs to get stronger and bulk up slightly without sacrificing speed and passing accuracy, which is a delicate thing to accomplish for the coaches. He reminds me a lot of Sandy Osiecki, the great Ansonia QB. Tall, skinny, a gun for an arm.

Sandy is a good physical comparison, but....
I’m not buying this. If he’s not ready, just say he’s not ready. I get wanting him to add 10lbs of muscle, but that has nothing to do with being able to absorb a hit. He’s 6’4, 205. Pindell is 6’1, 200. Pindell gets bounced around like a pinball. Krejewski is similar in size (height and/or weight) or bigger then most of the top-rated QBs in the country, including Heisman candidates.

Tua Tagovailoa - 6’1, 213
Kyler Murray - 5’10, 195
Will Grier - 6’2, 223
MacKenzie Milton - 5’11, 185

College Football Player Stats & Stats Leaders - QB Rating

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
$2.775 Mil per year
Yeah that's a great option for UConn

I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic.

In case you're being sarcastic and believe 2.8 million to be a ridiculous sum, I want to remind you that we pay Geno Auriemma over 2 million a year to coach women's basketball.

That's not a slight on him or the women, because he's worth every penny. But their revenue power is dwarfed by football.

We're paying Danny Hurley 3 million per year. Getting someone like Les Miles would have been a real coup for UConn, and I'm guessing we could get a heck of a lot of northeastern talent to come here with someone like him...

Reaction Score
Sandy is a good physical comparison, but....
I’m not buying this. If he’s not ready, just say he’s not ready. I get wanting him to add 10lbs of muscle, but that has nothing to do with being able to absorb a hit. He’s 6’4, 205. Pindell is 6’1, 200. Pindell gets bounced around like a pinball. Krejewski is the similar in size (height and/or weight) or bigger most of the top-rated QBs in the country, including Heisman candidates.

Tua Tagovailoa - 6’1, 213
Kyler Murray - 5’10, 195
Will Grier - 6’2, 223
MacKenzie Milton - 5’11, 185

College Football Player Stats & Stats Leaders - QB Rating
Steven Krajewski came in June at 6’ 4” and 205. I’m sure with almost six months of weight training and conditioning he had to have put on a few pounds of muscle. From everything that Edsall and Dunn said about him, when he first got here, I can’t believe he’s regressed to the point you couldnt have given him a few snaps in four games. However, it looks like that ship has sailed.

Reaction Score
Some of the first class has completed 2 out of 4 years. Others, 2 out of 5. The second class is 20-25% done. College goes by fast.

Thus far, one Randy guy jumps off the page - Pindell and he’s a senior. Other guys such as the Jones boys and Robinson should be good. The LB coming in from JUCO will be good too. Washington is a good athlete but he’s struggled with off the field issues. Our best unit is the OL and it’s made up mostly of Diaco recruits. True, some guys may eventually surprise on the upside but thus far, it’s not a good start. I wish it was but it’s been,quite frankly, pretty bad.

You just posted you knew from day one.

Reaction Score
Good news? This season ends next week.

Bad news? Has David Benedict sat down and really established a vision for the type of athletic dept. he wants? I have never seen such epic suckage in UConn athletics as I have on Benedict's watch. Across many different programs.

3781, no attack but really??? When accusing someone of epic suckage some proof should be offered.
Your smiling avatar is responsible for most of what was inherited by all the sports programs.

Please list the teams that are suffering because of our AD, I just don't see it. Men's BB on the upswing, woman's BB as usual. I was on campus for a job related reason twice in the past month and the construction for the upgrades of the soccer, baseball, softball and hockey facilities are under way.

Not sure of what football fans really expect (season ticket holder here) after Randy explained very early this was going to be pretty much a JV team this year. Bob Diaco has not been retained at three jobs in three years. obviously no recruiting guru for anyone. Wardes boy.......

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Diaco failed to recruit quality defensive players in 2015 and 2016. Do the research and see for yourself, it was a defensive recruiting horror show. The P and Diaco class of 2014 was a suckfest too. Three straight defensive recruiting disasters.

Look it up you lazy bums.

Still with this excuse? You could pluck 11 guys from current CT HS rosters put them on the field together with a HS coach and the defense would be better than this. There is something very very wrong beyond the players.

Reaction Score
Still with this excuse? You could pluck 11 guys from current CT HS rosters put them on the field together with a HS coach and the defense would be better than this. There is something very very wrong beyond the players.

No you couldn’t. And I agree, there is a problem with coaching on the defensive side of the ball. I am concerned players aren’t being held accountable for horrid effort. I sound like a broken record but talent is one thing. But you don’t need talent to hustle. And most of this defense thinks jogging is full speed or assumes that their teammates will make the tackle so no need to swarm to the ball. A good coach pulls a player for lack of hustle. It’s these teaching moments that make the team better.

C

Chief00

You just posted you knew from day one.

That’s not what I said - reading in context is fundamental. I said day 1 to the question if Randy was responsible to for the first year recruiting. My answer translated to grade level 1 is yes!

Reaction Score
Give up over 1000 yards in a game is the next step
That is why we will see Pindell play most of or all of the Temple game. If we started a quarterback who is not ready to play against Temple and get a lot of 3 and outs, I definitely see our defense giving up over a 1000 yards. Our defense held SMU to just under 600 yards only because our offense scored 50 points. Despite all the noise of not caring about this year, you know Edsall doesn't want to see our defense give up over a 1000 yards in one game. That could be a lead story for ESPN.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No you couldn’t. And I agree, there is a problem with coaching on the defensive side of the ball. I am concerned players aren’t being held accountable for horrid effort. I sound like a broken record but talent is one thing. But you don’t need talent to hustle. And most of this defense thinks jogging is full speed or assumes that their teammates will make the tackle so no need to swarm to the ball. A good coach pulls a player for lack of hustle. It’s these teaching moments that make the team better.

I exaggerate for effect, but I will put it a different way. We have FCS talent I keep hearing, but very few FCS teams would surrender 50+ to East Carolina. There is no excuse for our D to be worse than many FCS defenses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Problem is we played a lot of Edsall’s recruits this year on D and saw nothing from the way they performed that suggests strength and condition will be enough to change the bottomline. To me that is the real alarming issue here. I don’t see any where near enough of randy’s recruits on D showing meaningful upside.

Wasn't it early in the season Randy suggested that many of the players didn't know how to play football? Its getting annoying when he consistently recruits players no one else wants and thinks with a sprinkling of fairy dust, he can coach them up into competitive players.

The season is almost over, and the team doesn't exhibit any efforts that makes me think they can compete in FBS.....now or the next season, or the season after that. Absolutely zero progress.

Reaction Score
Wasn't it early in the season Randy suggested that many of the players didn't know how to play football? Its getting annoying when he consistently recruits players no one else wants and thinks with a sprinkling of fairy dust, he can coach them up into competitive players.

The season is almost over, and the team doesn't exhibit any efforts that makes me think they can compete in FBS.....now or the next season, or the season after that. Absolutely zero progress.
I have to agree with you. I would like to ask why Edsall recruited players on the offensive side and not even use them? Why do you bother to recruit a player and not take advantage of the four game rule? If I were a senior in high school I would not want to come here knowing that I have a 50/50 chance of sitting on the bench my first season. I would rather take my chances on a winning program.

Reaction Score
We have seven commits. Seven.

I don't think I've ever witnessed a recruiting class so poor in numbers this late in the season. It seems we usually had this many athletes orally committed by mid summer in years past. My real fear is that we may not even come close to the allotment we have available. Should we advertise in the wanted section of newspapers? (just kidding)but reflects my greatest fear at this point.

Reaction Score
I don't think I've ever witnessed a recruiting class so poor in numbers this late in the season. It seems we usually had this many athletes orally committed by mid summer in years past. My real fear is that we may not even come close to the allotment we have available.

The 2017 Class had 6 commits @ this point in time. (Actually it was 5 and PWO Keating).

If the numbers don't bumped up after the Early Signing Days in December (12/19>12/21) - your agita should rightfully increase.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Your all part of the microwave society. None of you want to wait for Randy's juicy dinner
Better put out a lot of appetizers. Dinner's gonna be a bit late.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

In case you're being sarcastic and believe 2.8 million to be a ridiculous sum, I want to remind you that we pay Geno Auriemma over 2 million a year to coach women's basketball.

That's not a slight on him or the women, because he's worth every penny. But their revenue power is dwarfed by football.

We're paying Danny Hurley 3 million per year. Getting someone like Les Miles would have been a real coup for UConn, and I'm guessing we could get a heck of a lot of northeastern talent to come here with someone like him...

$2.8M/yr is a financial pool that UConn has to operate in. Especially when we all see UConn funding its overall athletic department at $70M. Next closest is Cincinnati at $58M. Coincidentally, UC pays Luke Fickell $2M/yr while we pay Edsall $1M/yr. Fickell isn't even the highest paid football coach in the American. That honor goes to Memphis and Mike Norvell at $2.6M/yr. I also think Charlie Strong will make $2.5M/yr from USF after his Texas buyout money evaporates.

Drives me nuts that UConn spends sooooooooooo much money on sports that haven't moved the CR needle whatsoever and is beyond cheap in the one and only sport that does.

Kansas is making a statement in football. They're a hoops school, just like UConn, that's had enough. They can read the tea leaves of the future of the Big 12 and are positioning themselves brilliantly to make a move to the Big 10 or PAC12 (thanks to P5/Big 12 money). They're spending $300M to improve their football stadium and facilities. Now, this Les Miles hire is bringing "immediate legitimacy, relevancy, and respect" to Kansas football. We could desperately use some immediate legitimacy, relevancy, and respect to UConn football. While $300M to upgrade the Rent is not happening, spending $2.8M/yr to bring in an actual FBS quality head coach is something we absolutely can do. And should do before it's too late.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I have to agree with you. I would like to ask why Edsall recruited players on the offensive side and not even use them? Why do you bother to recruit a player and not take advantage of the four game rule? If I were a senior in high school I would not want to come here knowing that I have a 50/50 chance of sitting on the bench my first season. I would rather take my chances on a winning program.

You think most true freshmen expect to play? And who was supposed to sit down exactly? Randy's biggest mistake was playing too many freshmen. Several guys did play during the first four games and not after.

Randy has created a complete mess, but that criticism isn't one I share. He needed to win games, by any means necessary. Screw your re-build Randy. Show these guys that we can win games. It is what he has to do next year. Bring in any experienced JUCO or grad transfer defenders he can find. Maybe some FCS transfers. Anybody who played on a defense that tackled people and knows what it is like to win a game.

Losing begets losing. He isn't going to recruit better players here until he shows he can win games with the ones he has. This cycle will not change until he changes.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I know this won't be popular amongst many but the fact we pay our Women's Basketball coach double what we pay our football coach is a huge reason why football will never improve.

Look, I love Geno and he is worth every penny of his $2 million contract. However, Women's Basketball isn't going to get us anywhere in the future CR world. It didn't get us anywhere before and it won't be of any help in the future.

The B1G or ACC won't choose us over another school because our Women's Basketball team dominates every year and we have a hall of fame coach.

I hate this opinion but we will never compete when we spend more on Women's Basketball than we do on Football. It's the unfortunate truth. Once again, if we want to keep our women's team at a high level, then maybe it's time to rethink football

Reaction Score
You guys are wrong that our 22 championships in other sports don't matter. Just saying. Also have market and location

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Lost in how awful the defense is is the fact that the offense really doesn't do squat after the first half this year. Dunn comes out with a really solid opening set of plays, to the point that our first drive of the game is usually our best looking one. And then other teams make adjustments and we are completely stifled.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom