Edsall Dumpster Fire, Worse than P or D, by far. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Edsall Dumpster Fire, Worse than P or D, by far.

Reaction Score
I honestly can't believe the people who say they were optimistic on Edsall's return.

Again, I ask you, did you see what he did when he had Skip Holtz's players his first years at UConn in the YANKEE Conference?

When David Benedict signed up for the combo of Edsall with Bob Diaco's recruits he signed up for 4-5 years of some of the worst football you will ever see in your life. Maybe longer than 4-5 years. And the ceiling for this? Mediocrity. And the cherry on top? Edsall's excuses.

All of this was predictable if you had access to the internet.

I don't recall anyone predicting what we have seen this year. Most people understood it would take time to right the ship and that at least a couple of losing seasons were likely, but no one was predicting the worst defense in the history of college football and losses by the margins we have seen.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
People keep saying next year will be worse. How could any of this be any worse? I guess on Offense we could go back to Diaco level of bad? Our defense can't get any worse than it currently is.

However, we always find a new rock bottom....

Reaction Score
And now Army is ranked. Is that due to recruiting?

Could be. Both teams are recruiting from the same talent pool but with higher academic requirements than UConn. One could argue that this makes the recruiting process even tougher for those schools.

What’s your answer?

Reaction Score
The bottom line is, Randy knows he is in a no-accountability situation. The President is on her way out and the AD doesn't give a hoot. Funding his buyout and paying a replacement's salary are both dicey propositions. Sadly, his job security has nothing to do with the usual things like performance, attitude, or salesmanship ability that normally determine whether a coach remains a coach. He's grinning like a Cheshire cat and laughing all the way to the bank.
December 1st 2019, no buyout correct?

I need to know so I could set a countdown timer on my phone.

Reaction Score
I don't recall anyone predicting what we have seen this year. Most people understood it would take time to right the ship and that at least a couple of losing seasons were likely, but no one was predicting the worst defense in the history of college football and losses by the margins we have seen.

Well thats true. In that regard he has surpassed those expectations. I think people underestimated how rigid Edsall is. He literally can't coach players that are not Edsall tested and approved. The combo of him with Diaco's players had disaster written on it. Like not just bad years, disaster years.

Reaction Score
People keep saying next year will be worse. How could any of this be any worse? I guess on Offense we could go back to Diaco level of bad? Our defense can't get any worse than it currently is.

I don't think there is a single position we will be improved at next season. Wagner, @UMass, and ECU are the only games that I think we compete in. 0-12 is on the table.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

The worst part is that we're probably in for another round of this given how little $$$ the AD is likely to spend on his replacement.

Reaction Score
I think Benedict is doing a good job. He got rid of Diaco. He got rid of Ollie. He got us a rock star basketball coach. Edsall is not a superstar. He is a builder. He'll can the DC 5 minutes after the season ends and start working on a replacement. They will get better. Once UCONN is a decent .500 team, Edsall will retire and the position will be more attractive to up and coming head football coaches.

I'm hoping you're right, but the excuses flowing from Edsall this year don't fit how he was in the past and that's worrisome if it reflects doubts on his part.

Reaction Score
Could be. Both teams are recruiting from the same talent pool but with higher academic requirements than UConn. One could argue that this makes the recruiting process even tougher for those schools.

What’s your answer?

I think some of it has to be recruiting but a lot of it feels like coaching.

Reaction Score
The bottom line is, Randy knows he is in a no-accountability situation. The President is on her way out and the AD doesn't give a hoot. Funding his buyout and paying a replacement's salary are both dicey propositions. Sadly, his job security has nothing to do with the usual things like performance, attitude, or salesmanship ability that normally determine whether a coach remains a coach. He's grinning like a Cheshire cat and laughing all the way to the bank.

Since he has chosen to not sign his contract, can any of the lawyers on the Boneyard comment on whether the buyout comes into play?

Reaction Score
I really hope AD Dave and the UConn BoT and the incoming school President see this and finally make a commitment to properly funding football. There is zero excuse to be dead last in the AAC funding football for a school/brand as big as UConn.

While I will agree that we are last in Head Coaching salary in the ACC - I don’t believe we are last in total football spending/expense. I would venture Top 4?
When do we get off the Diaco dime?

Already off that - they took a one time $4m hit last year?

Reaction Score
Well thats true. In that regard he has surpassed those expectations. I think people underestimated how rigid Edsall is. He literally can't coach players that are not Edsall tested and approved. The combo of him with Diaco's players had disaster written on it. Like not just bad years, disaster years.

Yet he coached Skip Holtz's players through bad, but not disastrous seasons during the transition to I-A in 1999 and 2000. That's partly why I think the expectations for this year were greater than what came to pass. He had avoided "disastrous" campaigns the first time around.

Reaction Score
Since he has chosen to not sign his contract, can any of the lawyers on the Boneyard comment on whether the buyout comes into play?

Not a lawyer but had plenty of them chasing me...;) From another thread where the question was asked. Here is the document that provides the answer:

Edsall/Benedict Executed MOU (12/28/16)

Relevant language: "... this letter and the terms set herein will continue to exist as the binding agreement between the parties until the execution of formal employment contract"

Hurley hasn’t signed his contract either as far as I’m aware.

Reaction Score
Edsall has officially shown he was more lucky then skilled first time around. Now he’s just washed up and delusional.
I see a big difference between RE 1.0 and 2.0

Ambrose,Johnson,Hughes,Orlando,Wilson

they kept him grounded when he would go off the rails

I watched the UC game and the UAB game
USB has relied heavily on juco’s

Reaction Score
And now Army is ranked. Is that due to recruiting?
Was at their game yesterday. They didn't even dominate Colgate. 3rd season they've been ranked since 1963? They must be elated in West Point.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I was curious so I looked up UAB's two deep. On defense they start 8 seniors, two JR's and one sophomore. On offense they start 9 seniors and 2 sophomores.

They had a lot of transfers from other programs which helps

Reaction Score

Give up over 1000 yards in a game is the next step

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I get it, it’s easier to support a winning team. But it’s even more important to support it when it’s not.
I’ll support them when it looks like he’s trying to win. Plus, did you not read my post....I’ve supported them thru plenty of losing seasons. This is beyond the pale. They literally look like they’ve give up....the coaches I mean.

C

Chief00

No buyout starting 12/01/2019. However there is a retention bonus of $300,000 that gets paid on 12/1/2019. So effectively Randy still has a buyout on 12/1/2019 of $300,000. If you fire him before that, it’s a million dollars.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
If our recruiting territory is so barren, then how is Temple managing to find players who can compete and win in the AAC? They're essentially in the same recruiting territory we're in.
Exactly....it’s not barren. It’s pillaged by other big-time programs that aren’t playing scrimmages over the last six years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom